Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just fired up Sturmwind for the first time.

Pros - some really nice visuals and effects. (the naff star symbol, rubbish font, uninspired weapons and crap ship design aside) made me 'wow' several times.

Con - it plays like arse. Absolute arse. I know its a Euro shmup (which I tend not to like anyway) but its a snore fest.

The game is a tech demo and nothing else.

Seriously let down by this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just fired up Sturmwind for the first time.

Pros - some really nice visuals and effects. (the naff star symbol, rubbish font, uninspired weapons and crap ship design aside) made me 'wow' several times.

Con - it plays like arse. Absolute arse. I know its a Euro shmup (which I tend not to like anyway) but its a snore fest.

The game is a tech demo and nothing else.

Seriously let down by this one.

Seriously? Jeez after the wait for this and all...

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously? Jeez after the wait for this and all...

Luckily I didnt wait as long as others (think I ordered in November?) - would be raging if I ordered it years ago!

The weapons are crap. Your know when they just have no impact? Cant even tell when Im shooting bosses other than a little white flash.

I dunno, maybe Ive been spoiled by great Japanese shmups. Europeans should just stay away from the genre!

It looks gorgeous from what I've seen of it, really really nice. How has it been viewed by the shmup community in general?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I might be wrong but was that not made by the same folks who developed that duff Turrican rip-off clone?

Sure just put it back in it's box and wait for Saidaioujou to come through the post. Everyone is saying it's class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

You just weren't paying enough attention to us! It many years on remains one of this generation's giddy heights.

If you're playing on normal, start on hard as soon as you're finished. Trust me on that. The combat system transforms from great to poetic. Have rarely been so compelled by a game's, well, gameplay.

I agree what a game...those that don't like it just haven't got to grips with the mechanics or couldn't be arsed.Once you get the hang of dodging mid combo, activating witch time and then finishing the combo it all clicks.Add all the weapons and permutations and it has massive replay value.In my top ten of 360 games ever.
    Rember reading platinum would only be releasing the sequel for WIIU.what a shame,may even be canned now.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rember reading platinum would only be releasing the sequel for WIIU.what a shame,may even be canned now.:)

Nintendo were the only ones that would fund it, even Sega wouldn't so fair play to them I say. If it wasn't for Nintendo we wouldn't have a sequel at all and I can't wait to see it at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Didn't know Sega dropped it completely.Madness.
    On the subject of Platinum is Anarchy Reigns worth a go?
    Also anyone has hasn't tried Vanquish should purchase ASAP.
    Cheap as chips now and a five star game from the developers

Didn't know Sega dropped it completely.Madness.
    On the subject of Platinum is Anarchy Reigns worth a go?
    Also anyone has hasn't tried Vanquish should purchase ASAP.
    Cheap as chips now and a five star game from the developers

Vanquish is criminally underrated! excellent game, really a score attack game, love it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Playing gran turismo 1 at the mo. Forgot how much I love this game!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What a game that was! Only one I ever played in the series, but man did I play the hell out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    What a game that was! Only one I ever played in the series, but man did I play the hell out of it.

Yeah first one had serious wow factor for me, amazing looking cars at the time. No. 3 on the PS2 was the best in the series imo, lost interest with the PS3 Prologue release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That was the only one of the series I invested any time in, aside from the Concept car one later on, on the PS2.
    A brilliant brilliant game, looked amazing.
    I recall poor old Need For Speed 3 kinda tanked then, despite being great, due to it not being Gran Turismo!
    Also, there was no analog stick support, only NeGcon, which is fine for me, not so good for everyone else.

The Legend Of Zelda. It's very basic compared to LttP natually, but you can see it's the foundation that they built upon so so so well with LttP

Apparently, Dodongo dislikes smoke

Master of the Universe

I watched through Gamesmaster season 1 last weekend. Couple of people on asking for NES Zelda tips - such a great show :)

Couldn't believe the amount of knob jokes! Almost spat my tea out a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Legend Of Zelda. It's very basic compared to LttP natually, but you can see it's the foundation that they built upon so so so well with LttP

I find it very different to any other zelda game. It's a total open world and you cna complete the game in any order you want. It's also very obtuse and you are left to figure everything out yourself whereas from LttP onwards is quite structured.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find it very different to any other zelda game. It's a total open world and you cna complete the game in any order you want. It's also very obtuse and you are left to figure everything out yourself whereas from LttP onwards is quite structured.

Yeah agreed in that sense. It's unusual in the sense that you can complete it in any order, the map is largely open from the beginning, & you can complete dungeons without even getting the treasure/item in some {all} of them, & some even have extra keys that arn't needed, but are needed in other dungeons {wtf Zelda!}

But, the basic idea follows through for LttP, it's just far, far more polished & structured. I've finished the 4th dungeon just there, would I say I'm enjoying it? Well yeah, but only from the stance that it's something I've never bothered competing....I don't think I'd revisit it again as I would LttP. As I said, it's very basic {it is an 8bit game after all} & there's no real sense your doing anything other than going through the motions.

It gets extremely difficult later on!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It gets extremely difficult later on!

Balls, it's so awkward & flimsy using the analogue stick on the 3DS :( Still, I shall battle on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son is now playing Aether II, a mod on Minecraft 1.5.1
    It took about 2 days to get it working with the right combination of Minecraft.jar, Player API, Player Render API and Forge.
    He said "You are the best dad in the universe", so that's me told!

Master of the Universe

Can't stop playing Ibara - it's crazy addictive. 'Just one more go' to the extreme!

Finally reached level 3 (level 2 boss is a bit of a bastard!). Got up to the mid level boss and took a bullet to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I have now logged nearly 16 hour into fire emblem 3ds now and I now think I'm addicted. Also liking it a lot more than the cube version; the over world map, the character interactions some of which are very funny, the animated cutscenes are sublime in 3d, and the pair ups. Actually watching the fight scenes as well.
    The extra content seems vast as well and a lot of it for free!
    I think it's my favourite game since double dash and maybe one of my all time tops.

Defo agree, it really is superb. In fact i'd go as far as to say its the best strategy rpg i've played and hands down the best 3ds title. Enjoying the future past episodes on hard classic atm, excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No question it's the best game on the system.

I'm currently on chapter 18, desperately trying to figure out a strategy that doesn't see my precious dancer ripped to shreds (not using her isnt a solution ;)).

Quick question, are ye resetting or sticking with permadeath?
    I've lost Rickon and Stahl to it.

My son just turned 10!
    So, he had a birthday breakfast of Coco Pops, Eggy Cup (Two boiled eggs, unshelled, lots of butter and salt, all scrunched up)
    And I have lost him to Luigis Mansion 2, he was buried in it all morning, I might get a go but have been warned not to use his save file, a bit of a turn around, coming from Mr. I Was Just Helping You Out!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My son just turned 10!
    So, he had a birthday breakfast of Coco Pops, Eggy Cup (Two boiled eggs, unshelled, lots of butter and salt, all scrunched up)
    And I have lost him to Luigis Mansion 2, he was buried in it all morning, I might get a go but have been warned not to use his save file, a bit of a turn around, coming from Mr. I Was Just Helping You Out!

Mmmmm eggy cup

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Quick question, are ye resetting or sticking with permadeath?
    I've lost Rickon and Stahl to it.

Bit of both. I've had to settle on one or two permadeaths (Stahl too, curiously!) but some are too valuable.

Chapter 18 is by far the toughest battle I've faced so far down to those darn flying units and their uber range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The last of us :3 Sad to see it end, but I wanna see where it goes.

Advertisement