Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Limestone1 wrote: »
    That was the quietest I've seen Thurles for a championship game in a long time. .

Been like that the last few years for our first game, v Clare last year was similar likewise Limerick in 2011, when they had the insane idea of putting our opener with Clare on the June Bank holiday Monday in 2010 there was even less at the game than today.

The money just isnt there anymore and coupled with the fact that it wasnt a knock out game means attendances are taking a hit. They really need to look at putting in home/away arrangements, even if it meant Waterford playing our 'home' games in Nowlan Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Did anyone else think that we didn't seem as fit/sharp as Clare . Definitely faded and a few Waterford lads stretching limbs towards the end.

To be fair I think this was just due to the constant pressure on our midfield and half back line due to our forwards inability to hold possession - everything they put forward was coming back with interest and that takes its toll, much like a soccer team who continuously kicks the ball away.

For what it's worth I thought the referee was appalling. He gave us nothing all day despite our forwards consistently having their jerseys pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Could anyone tell me what if anything Pat Flanagan is doing with this team? Last year after we faded badly in the second half against Cork he came out and said we wouldn't see the benefits of his work until this year.
    We saw it today and it was exactly the same- stuck to the ground with no energy. Same as in a number of the league games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

doz wrote: »
    To be fair I think this was just due to the constant pressure on our midfield and half back line due to our forwards inability to hold possession - everything they put forward was coming back with interest and that takes its toll, much like a soccer team who continuously kicks the ball away.

For what it's worth I thought the referee was appalling. He gave us nothing all day despite our forwards consistently having their jerseys pulled.

Thought he gave some soft frees early in the second half & let blatant ones away. Clare were worth the win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

KevIRL wrote: »
    Been like that the last few years for our first game, v Clare last year was similar likewise Limerick in 2011, when they had the insane idea of putting our opener with Clare on the June Bank holiday Monday in 2010 there was even less at the game than today.

At least our game against ye in 2011 had a bit of bite, poor attendance or not.

Today's game seemed to lack intensity...bar maybe a 5-minute spell early in the second half. Just seemed a bit tame. You'd miss the likes of Mullane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Fireball07 wrote: »
    At least our game against ye in 2011 had a bit of bite, poor attendance or not.

Today's game seemed to lack intensity...bar maybe a 5-minute spell early in the second half. Just seemed a bit tame. You'd miss the likes of Mullane.
    Indeed, it lacked intensity for long spells. A Class forward like John Mullane is the difference between most sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Indeed, it lacked intensity for long spells. A Class forward like John Mullane is the difference between most sides.

I just meant in terms of getting the crowd going...obviously he'd have made a difference on the pitch, he's pure class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

@Kevirl I'm pretty certain it's a home and away draw through out the qualifiers until maybe phase 3. Clare definitely played Dublin in Cusack Park, and Limerick played Antrim in the Gaelic Grounds if I'm not mistaken, though their game against each other was in Thurles (I think).

As for a lack of intensity, well I dunno what it looked like on tv, but maybe a combination of a stadium to big for the crowd and the fact that their is a huge gap between league and championship. Is it 9 weeks (more?) since we last played. You could hardly be expecting a classic in those circumstances.

I also don't agree that Clare looked a hungrier side from start to finish, once we got the goal we dominated for the rest of the first half and could have been (perhaps should have been) further ahead. We were going well after a very poor start in which we were struggling to win primary possession (which was the theme of the second half) and it was quite worrying. A terrible mistake by the Clare center back brought us back into it, though Dillon took the goal brilliantly, as he did his point.

As has been highlighted already, the three missed opportunities at the start of the second half were important. I think we should have converted at least two of them. Instead, Clare got the first score of the second half and that must have been a huge psychological boost.

I'm sure most were expecting a purple patch from Clare in the second half, not sure how many expected a purple half! For the last 30 mins they were vastly superior, and the root of the problem (and as anticipated key area where the game would be decided) was our half-forward line. It's been a problem for a long time and when you see the line up out there you'd say they aren't really all that physically imposing. I do, however, feel strongly that Iggy's puckouts weren't good enough. Dunno how others feel, maybe I'm overestimating it on account of having a preconceived idea that they wouldn't be of sufficient quality but in fairness I don't think the Clare supporters themselves think their halfback line are as good as they were made look for at least the last 20 mins of the game. I might have a look tomorrow and see how many clean catches they made in that period, I'd say it's pretty horrifying. They won all the breaks as well though.

The problem then was that it's the one position where you won't see managers make a change. I saw SOK warming up with 15-20 left and wondered would he come on but it's always something managers will be slow to do. I guess from their own perspective if it didn't help things, a lot of questions would be asked, and I would imagine Iggy would be very upset. The worst thing though was the lack of any alternative puckout strategies. In the first half they tried a few shorter ones, maybe to just inside our own half or that with midfielders coming towards it. Might not always work, but when you are being absolutely cleaned in the halfforward line you have to try something else. We didn't though. Where as Clare won the ball, then supported the man and had plenty of time in midfield to see where the space was in behind our half backline and find one of their men. Simple stuff, made easier by us not winning any ball.

Moving away from that, while it was a disappointing defeat I have to say there seems to be an over reaction here. To lose by as much certainly was frustrating, but considering that we were missing three starters from a team that has lost one of our greatest forwards ever and a player who won two man of the match awards last year coupled with Brian O Halloran clearly being severely hampered by injury before coming off (could have made a big difference), I think to say it was one of our most disappointing defeats is maybe slightly OTT? (I know we are all probably desperately trying to erase the memory of Pairc Ui Caoimh in 2011 and Croker in September 2008, but I don't think today's games can be compared to those experiences)

We would have needed a fair amount of luck to win the game in reality, we were very light on subs as the squad is quite thin.

On a positive note, all our forwards that started (bar O'Halloran, understandably) scored from play. Jake Dillon took his goal well and he'll surely only grow in confidence after today. Thought Shane Sully played very well in midfield for most of the game, good to have him back.

I think that Brick should never be judged on what his man scores (unless maybe he scores 2-6 by running down the center or something ridiculous). 0-4 points really isn't that big a return on him considering Brick still had plenty of influence on the game. In RTEs analysis, I think they said they targeted Brick but the only clip they showed of Clare winning the ball off him showed him being blatantly fouled. Wouldn't say he was the second best player on the field though I have to say.

Thought all the backs played well, the only one who I thought actually noticeably under-performed was Moran. I think he was nervy with the captaincy and I think as a result the qualifiers will do him good as much as it will the young players.

Jamie Nagle, after a shaky start, stormed into the game and I was always told it's the sign of a very good player when you can play well having made early mistakes. It shows character, and he wasn't phased by Davy putting Peter Duggan (another giant) in to mark him. Naivety probably on Davy's part to expect a 19/20 year old with no experience to have a big impact, but I think Nagle deserves huge credit as he was excellent.

All in all, I really don't think the qualifiers is a bad road to take. Teams have shown in the past that the momentum built from it can be a bonus and give them fresh impetus as they progress. And while I don't think there's any room to be cocky, I certainly am not one to ascribe to a fear of being beaten by any of the teams that are presently in the qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The problem then was that it's the one position where you won't see managers make a change. I saw SOK warming up with 15-20 left and wondered would he come on but it's always something managers will be slow to do. I guess from their own perspective if it didn't help things, a lot of questions would be asked, and I would imagine Iggy would be very upset.

Moving away from that, while it was a disappointing defeat I have to say there seems to be an over reaction here. To lose by as much certainly was frustrating, but considering that we were missing three starters from a team that has lost one of our greatest forwards ever and a player who won two man of the match awards last year coupled with Brian O Halloran clearly being severely hampered by injury before coming off (could have made a big difference), I think to say it was one of our most disappointing defeats is maybe slightly OTT? (I know we are all probably desperately trying to erase the memory of Pairc Ui Caoimh in 2011 and Croker in September 2008, but I don't think today's games can be compared to those experiences)

On your first point, I would have taken him off. It would be a big call and as you say its rare to see it but if the keepers performance was seriously hindering that of the team I don't think he should be indispensable. Everyone can make a mistake Ive no issue with that but when its going as bad as it was you just have to be ruthless and leave sentiment to one side.

On your second point yes it was not as bad as either of those days only difference is those 2 games were complete off-days while yesterdays performance was pretty much reality and basically what were going to be looking at for the next couple of years anyway. Theres a lot of over analysis on here after the game about what we could have and should have done to win it but the bottom line is we came up short and beaten by a better team.

I think we can improve marginally, and the best we can hope for is a kind draw in the qualifiers and who knows maybe sneak quietly back into an AI quarter final. I think the days when we can expect beat even the likes of Offaly and Wexford are gone as they will look at us as a team they could take in the qualifiers. If we can get a good draw in the first round qualifiers after that its going to be tough. But with the couple of lads back fit and a few obvious changers from yesterday we can look forward to a new challenge in the qualifiers and who knows we might raise a few eyebrows yet

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I just meant in terms of getting the crowd going...obviously he'd have made a difference on the pitch, he's pure class!
    Forget about John Mullane. He has called it a day. Was he even at the game? It will take time to build a new team. We need to use more ground hurling and move the ball quicker. For some reason the team was stuck to the ground in the second half. I just cannot understand it. It appeared before half time that Waterford would win it comfortably. Kevin Moran who is an outstanding hurler probably tried to do too much. He tried to cover several positions. He was here, there and everywhere. In addition I think he should use more ground hurling and take the captaincy in his stride. He can only do so much himself. I thought Jamie Nagle was outstanding.

• Advertisement

@ML, nice write up and I would agree with a lot of what you said. I wouldnt though agree though with citing our forwards as a positive. Even if they all got scores from play I felt that throughout the game we were carrying at least 3 of the 6 forwards, Paudie was very poor throughout, Jamie Barron likewise and Ray Barry never got into the game after coming on early. Maurice showed what a threat he can be in the first half but faded badly in the second, perhaps struggling with an injury, but he was badly caught for pace and a lack of awareness late on in the game. Jake and Seamus both had good games

I dont want to be too critical cause like you said we are in a period of transition and have been hit with injuries, but I hope some good level of target practise can be arranged for the lads before the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Hidalgo wrote: »
    From a Clare pov,
    After a great start we gifted Waterford a goal and then completely fell apart for 20 mins.
    Waterford should have been up by more than 4 at half time and then hit 3 quick wides at the start of the 2nd half.
    At this stage it should have been game over.

Maurice Shanahan faded in the 2nd half, he was causing serious damage in the 1st.
    There's no way I'd have predicted a Clare win with Conor McGrath so quiet, Connors really had the shackles on him.

Jamie Nagle was my MOTM, Brick was also qulaity. Best 2 players were both Waterford.

Fair analysis. Had we gotten ahead early in the second half to the point where Clare might have started trying for goals, it might have been different. But having failed to build that platform Clare went through us like a dose of salts. You can read all that stretched out to a couple of thousand words here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

That was the quietest I've seen Thurles for a championship game in a long time. The game never took off and was poor championship fare - no bite, no anger or aggression (apart from Davy!). Very dissappointing day out after a promising first half. Did anyone else think that we didn't seem as fit/sharp as Clare . Definitely faded and a few Waterford lads stretching limbs towards the end.

Maurice was turned upside at one stage and was hobbling for a bit - he wasn't the same after that.

The ref didn't help after the 4 wides at the start of the 2nd half - gave Clare a few dubious frees to bring them level and change the momentum , we never got back on top after that.

Thought he was ery nice to ye in the 1st half and extremely nice to us in the 2nd. We got one or two very dodge calls at important stages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

glick6 wrote: »
    Agree on Nagle. I honestly thought he was immense. Bricks man scored 4 from play. He was caught badly in possession twice. To say he was the second best player on the pitch is, in my opinion, wrong. I would say Shane O'Sullivan and Noel Connors were way ahead of Brick. Jake Dillon and Maurice were good in patches. Maurice definitely looked to be carrying a knock second half may be why he faded.

Brick held the middle and his man roamed, doing that Kelly is always going to score.
    I thought Brick hurled an amount of ball, although he wasted a few (and he's a man that wastes nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Thought he was ery nice to ye in the 1st half and extremely nice to us in the 2nd. We got one or two very dodge calls at important stages
    First of well done to Clare on the second half performance outscoring us by 2.12 to 6 points. The Ref was appalling at times in this game but when you are beaten by 8 points there is no excuse. I thought we needed to score 3 or 4 more points in the second half to put the seeds of doubt in a young Clare team but when we started missing scorable frees and scores from play, five one after the other straight after half time it was like giving scores to Clare. I could not believe how unfit Waterford looked in the second half, it was like someone had given them sleeping tablets in the dressing room. When Clare got within 2 points of us I thought we were in trouble and we did not have any player good enough to haul us back into the game as Clare rose to the challenge and we faded badly for the remainder of the second half. Davy had his team in great condition as he always had us when he was here so go on now and win your next match you are more than good enough and now that you have a big monkey off you backs this young team will only grow in cinfidence.
    Where this leaves us I'm afraid to say it looks like a big slide backwards. The only redeeming factor about yesterday's defeat is we still have the back door to try and get back into the All-Ireland series. No team will fear us now and the managment have to take the blame for the way this team faded yesterday. We were going very well in the first half after a shaky start but that second half display was a throwback to Waterford of old who would just give up when a team came at them. I dont know how their going to solve the goalkeeping position as SOK must feel demoralized standing on the sideline watching puckout after pockout going out over the sideline as Iggy just cant handle championship pressure. I felt sorry for the lads walking off the field as they did not expect this to happen and neither did I but these things hapen and at least we live to fight another day. Big difference between challenge matches and championship, they are only poor practice and nothing should ever be taken from them.

An Rinn final in the senior football comortas peile live on TG4 at 3.30 against Donegal oppostion. Best of luck to them fly the deise flag proudly lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Was Iggy really performing that bad that Michael Ryan got SOK to warm up? I was in the terrace for the 2nd half so couldn't see too much of what he was doing wrong. I remember 1 puck out to jake dollon that went out over the sideline but nothing else stands out really

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

we were beaten by the better fitter team. nothing else.

fair play to clear. i wouldn't be grudge them the win.

and ill go all out for them for the rest of the Munster Championship.

they have being in a dark place the past few years. be nice to see them get to a Munster final and maybe win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

it will be weird if we were to draw a strong team (Dublin/Offaly or Wexford) in the prem round and get beaten.

our summer will be over by the 22nd June :(

I can see us drawing Antrim at home in the prem round and then play Wexford away in phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

PTH2009 wrote: »
    it will be weird if we were to draw a strong team (Dublin/Offaly or Wexford) in the prem round and get beaten.

our summer will be over by the 22nd June :(

I can see us drawing Antrim at home in the prem round and then play Wexford away in phase 1.

Waterford are a good bit better than Dublin Offaly and Wexford.Waterford gave away two sloppy goals yesterday and the younger forwards don't seem to be ready for championship hurling yet.It was Clares fitness that got them through.Their finishing games very well this year.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

for munster championship games are there really any need for designated seats in the stands.

I think they should just sell Old stand tickets/new stand tickets and you can sit where ever is available.

Yesterday i could sit almost anywhere in section 207 of the old stand

What changes do people see being made the next day? There arent too many other options really so depleted is the squad. Normally when we get beat we have plenty excuses about such and such a person will be back the next day. This time though there isnt really anyone to come back. Shane Walsh the only one I can think of of any note. SOK will probably come back in maybe shane fives aswell but other than I cant really see any scope to freshen it up/change it around

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

for munster championship games are there really any need for designated seats in the stands.

I think they should just sell Old stand tickets/new stand tickets and you can sit where ever is available.

Yesterday i could sit almost anywhere in section 207 of the old stand

No need for them but theyll always be there. GAA, county boards, club chairmen etc all love giving the best tickets to their friends

all the teams in the draw will be praying for a trip to London

robopaddy wrote: »
    What changes do people see being made the next day? There arent too many other options really so depleted is the squad. Normally when we get beat we have plenty excuses about such and such a person will be back the next day. This time though there isnt really anyone to come back. Shane Walsh the only one I can think of of any note. SOK will probably come back in maybe shane fives aswell but other than I cant really see any scope to freshen it up/change it around

I think the changes you have noted above will all be made, assuming Shane Walsh and Shane Fives are both fit. On the topic of Shane Walsh, what is the story with him? Someone suggested to me after the game yesterday that he was nowhere near fit and was only on the bench to make up the numbers.

Brian O'Halloran may yet be out depending on the seriousness of his injury. I'm not sure if I would go with Ray Barry again if that is the case, maybe Martin O'Neill might be worth a start, offers a bit more of a physical threat?

Poor and all as yesterday's result was, there is no reason why we should not be confident of beating all the sides in the preliminary and phase 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Forwards need to be beefed up. Hopefully Shane Walsh will be back and Seamus is left on the 40. Maurice done well yesterday when played in full forward but we need his ballwinning ability in the half forward line. On the other wing we need another ball winner and paudie mahony was very much a passenger yesterday. Darragh Fives could be an option here. Although he has played mostly as a back during his career, when Tourin won the junior county championship he was wing forward and was excellent. Jake Dillon in one corner and Jamie Barron in the other. Kevin Moran to midfield. Tony wing back if he is still up to it, if not paudie pender. Shane Fives in the corner and SOK back on the goal. Lots of changes but i think thats a stronger team than yesterdays team.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Poor and all as yesterday's result was, there is no reason why we should not be confident of beating all the sides in the preliminary and phase 1

I would be worried about drawing Wexford or Offaly if there is anything produced like the performance yesterday. Asked the question earlier in the week about too many players that had to prove themselves and so it was. Only hope is that the game will be something to learn from and improve on. Quarter final place still on the cards but I would be very, very wary of the qualifiers. Young fellas up front will improve in time but the firepower thats needed is just not there at the moment

is Ritchie Foley injured ?

is Ritchie Foley injured ?

He has had a re-occurence of the hip injury that sidelined him last year and as far as I know he will miss the entire Championship.

• Advertisement

Shane Walsh and Shane Fives if fit, probably SOK but hate chopping and changing keeper, Martin O Neill also possible as the front 6 needs some sort of shake up - Gary Hurney obviously (for tomkelly99's pal)
    Chinpool wrote: »
    No need for them but theyll always be there. GAA, county boards, club chairmen etc all love giving the best tickets to their friends

Season ticket holders tend to get very good seats as well, everywhere apart from Pairc Ui Caoimh that is
    all the teams in the draw will be praying for a trip to London

I wouldnt think so really, its hardly that exotic a destination anymore, especially given how they will have to be training hard and probably flying straight back after the game, bit of a nuisance really with the travel involved. New York might be different but not London, I'd say they'd prefer a home game or even the short trip to Carlow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement