Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Materials should come in at well under the 4k easy IMO. Ill be buying plans early next week sometime and will get cracking at the boat early summer. Cant wait niow

Good for you :D if you need any help just ask, the Glen-L forum is very helpful and worth joining I'll see you there ;)
    Also while your ordering the plans it's well worth getting their book "Boatbuilding with plywood"
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

any pics of the plans you work from or a link? i want to see if there easy to understand

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

davlacey wrote: »
    any pics of the plans you work from or a link? i want to see if there easy to understand

The plans are very easy as they are full size so no lofting, with large frames you get half and just double up.

DSC00432.jpg

I trace these out and then just transfer them on to the timber.

DSC00435.jpg

You also get some helpful booklets on how things go together.

DSC00398-1.jpg
    Have we got another builder thinking it over :D

Fuel line connected, now I'm itching to start her up :D I also made up a block for the foot throttle but won't fix it in place till 'I have the seats in and find a comfortable place for my leg.

20130228_164708_zps4c39c963.jpg

Wiring is done, this is just a temporary panel for running in the engine and doing the test run, later when I have the cockpit done these will be hidden.
    It's bloody cold and damp out there so I will be under pressure to get the hull fibreglassed and varnished before May when I planed to do the test run.:(

20130321_133217_zps24b953a4.jpg

• Advertisement

the button start looks good are u going to hide it? are u fiberglssing the inside off the hull or outside?

Yea they will all be hidden I might add a few retro switches. I'm going to redo the outside as a few damp patches got in while it was curing, I'm not looking forward to removing the fiberglass but it has to be done next time I'm going to use peel-ply over the wet resin and that might help.

id dread having to re fiberglass the hull after painting it.id be half afraid to remove the fiberglass incase it seperated the plywood that would be my luck. i pierced a screwdriver through the hull last week prying old fiberglass off the inside of the boat

davlacey wrote: »
    id dread having to re fiberglass the hull after painting it.id be half afraid to remove the fiberglass incase it seperated the plywood that would be my luck. i pierced a screwdriver through the hull last week prying old fiberglass off the inside of the boat

I find the best way to remove fiberglass from wood is with a paint scraper and a heat gun you have to cover up well with a full face shield as you get alot of splinters of glass flying about.

I started to fit the exhaust "I still hate drilling holes in the boat":D

20130426_194143_zps6c08dbe2.jpg

Bit of a problem the exhaust tips had a 1/4" gap all around and even with the bolt clamps there was no way I could get the reinforced pipe to tighten.

20130426_194435_zps0f46f993.jpg

My solution was to cut the top and bottom of a tin and silicone it to the exhaust trying to keep the gap equal.

20130429_1244330_zpsc07fc765.jpg

20130429_125244_zps023d6d61.jpg

Then fill the gap with epoxy and when it's set remove the tin, job done :)

20130429_125308_zps98215744.jpg

• Advertisement

are u nearly ready for sea trials? id say u will need earplugs with that lump running

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Will that epoxy around the exhaust pipe not soften and get loose with the heat?

Fingalian wrote: »
    Will that epoxy around the exhaust pipe not soften and get loose with the heat?

The exhaust gas is mixed with water down through the system so when it comes out the tips it is luke warm you can hold your hand on it so it shouldn't be a problem. " I hope" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

fergal.b wrote: »
    The exhaust gas is mixed with water down through the system so when it comes out the tips it is luke warm you can hold your hand on it so it shouldn't be a problem. " I hope" :D

just curious: how does it get mixed with water on the way down? Is it linked with the cooling system or something?

Very good job by the way, great to see it coming along so well.

The exhaust gas is cooled by water sucked in from the bottom of the boat and pumped around the manifolds they are separate till they reach the elbow at the top of the manifold once they leave that they are mixed down the exhaust pipe to keep that cool, at all times you should be able to hold your hand on the pipe if it's too hot you have a problem.:eek:

center_rise_11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I stand corrected so:rolleyes:

First test run of the engine in the boat to make sure there are no leaks before I do the planking. She still needs to be tuned in and the timing set but I'm happy enough to carry on with closing her up, the alternator belt could also do with a bit of a tighten :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sounds sweet! Almost no lag.:cool: Is that squeek solely down to the alternator belt?:confused: Brings me back to the days when I shaved heads and had to worry about jetting carburettors!:D

I think the belt is slipping on the chrome wheel on the alternator too shinny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

absolutley superb Fergal ! hats off to you my good man.... that will sound so good coming up a river/lake.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well done Fergal. I've been reading this thread all morning.

Super job, what's the revised launch date (aprx)

Also, may I congratulate you on a very, very tidy work area and superb craftmanship. Great to see.

Thanks for your comments :) I was planning to do a test run this month to mark out the water line and check for any leaks :eek: but with all the bad weather in March & April I'm way behind I still hope to get her wet this summer if we get one :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Well done Fergal. I've been reading this thread all morning.

Super job, what's the revised launch date (aprx)

Also, may I congratulate you on a very, very tidy work area and superb craftmanship. Great to see.

The start of the kingplank, I tried my best to match up the wood grain to form into a V on the bow. I'm in two minds on weather to stain this a bit darker than the rest hmmmm.

20130529_130639_zps56200c32.jpg

Rounded off the kingplank to 6" back as far as the cockpit then it's tapers down to 2". I was going to cut up plywood squares to use as washers to hold down the planks but then I saw a bag of these corner blocks in B&Q for €3 handy little things and the epoxy won't stick to them :)

20130530_195115_zpsaf927f20.jpg

One half down and one to go.

20130530_195849_zps835333da.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

fergal.b wrote: »
    First test run of the engine in the boat to make sure there are no leaks before I do the planking. She still needs to be tuned in and the timing set but I'm happy enough to carry on with closing her up, the alternator belt could also do with a bit of a tighten :D

Music! What a sweet sounding beast! :D

I think you may have a HT leak to the starboard cam cover breather? Check out the video at about 30seconds in. Sparking?

The deck planking looks beautiful. You must be really enjoying working on it now with the end in sight and the weather getting nice.

Daibheid wrote: »
    Music! What a sweet sounding beast! :D

I think you may have a HT leak to the starboard cam cover breather? Check out the video at about 30seconds in. Sparking?

Well spotted it gave me a kick when I went looking for the other day it threw me off the boat on to the sharp pebble dash wall and cut my back and elbows in bits as I slid down it :mad: O the joy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

I think building a boat is creating a life, and just as wonderful .
    Thanks for sharing the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm in two minds on weather to stain this a bit darker than the rest hmmmm.

I would personally, I think it would look smashing and classy.

Pointy :D

20130601_184257_zpse0de8f9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

looking good, she's coming along nicely ...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

I'm in two minds on weather to stain this a bit darker than the rest hmmmm.

I think some contrast might be good, but its your baby :D
    I have found that staining wood, kills something in the wood :confused:
    not sure what you might call it, but do you know when you are working
    on a piece of wood, it takes on or has a life of its own, (people who work
    with wood will understand, I hope :eek: ) well I think stain kills that.
    But that's just my opinion :D .
    Have you done any inlaid work ? I think that would crown it, narrow strip
    down the kingplank and out each side , black , I have seen sawdust from
    bog oak mixed with glue, Im sure epoxy would do the same, spread in a recess
    made with a router, when finished it looks excellent , like marble, try it on a
    piece of waste timber. If you want to transfer a pattern or a drawing to timber,
    great with curves etc, is to use carbon paper, I use it for carving

Advertisement