Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Barbarian FC, Sat 1 June 12:30pm; Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Phillips is 10kg heavier than Murray and is 6'3, hes as big as a center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Bogota wrote: »
    Phillips is 10kg heavier than Murray and is 6'3, hes as big as a center

I can't believe it's not butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

I dunno I've always felt despite his height he's more cut than big. What put's him in competition with Phillips is him being a bit smarter, having a better kicking game and at least matching him in defense.

O'Gara weighs 84kgs. No way Murray is that light. He was probably that light when he was in the academy, and they didn't update his stats for ages. The Munster site is really bad for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Lelantos wrote: »
    I can't believe it's not butter

haha, ninja edit again

Why are people discussing the weights of Murray and Phillips anyway?

They both played well. Still think Youngs should be at 9 to get the best out of the rest of the backline though

19543261 wrote: »
    Murray was noticeably faster than Philips with his passing

In fairness to Phillips Murray had a much easier time at the break down by the time he came on. If you look at Murray's first two passes to Sexton they're shocking. Sexton literally has to jump to catch two consecutive passes. No point in getting the ball out fast if the passes are going to be like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

ed7890 wrote: »
    O'Gara weighs 84kgs. No way Murray is that light. He was probably that light when he was in the academy, and they didn't update his stats for ages. The Munster site is really bad for that.

Ahaha, he does not!

trouttrout wrote: »
    haha, ninja edit again

Why are people discussing the weights of Murray and Phillips anyway?

They both played well. Still think Youngs should be at 9 to get the best out of the rest of the backline though

Do you have a problem with me editing my posts?

The weight of both players are being discussed because its quite clear that Phillips has a physical edge over Murray considering hes 10kg heavier! I would have thought that was obvious :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭leakyboots

In fairness to Phillips Murray had a much easier time at the break down by the time he came on. If you look at Murray's first two passes to Sexton they're shocking. Sexton literally has to jump to catch two consecutive passes. No point in getting the ball out fast if the passes are going to be like that

"Not one pundit has Murray starting ahead of Phillips. It really is no contest. The guy is leaps and bounds ahead of Murray

Great break but the two passes to Sexton in the lead up were awful

I've no idea what's the issue with saying Phillips is better than Murray. He evidently is. Every single pundit in Britain and Ireland has him starting. But apparently that's all nonsense because Murray plays for their team".

Here's another one for your bathroom wall

b56a33d7efe963b32364803970f3af52.jpeg

leakyboots wrote: »
    Here's another one for your bathroom wall

b56a33d7efe963b32364803970f3af52.jpeg

Yeah, the fact that I'm praising a player who was just awarded man of the match and scored two tries over a Munster player must mean its a homo-erotic obsession :rolleyes:

15 Hogg 6/10
    14 Cuthbert 8/10
    13 Davies 8/10
    12 Roberts 8/10
    11 Maitland 5/10
    10 Farrell 5/10
    9 Phillips 8/10
    8 Toby F 6/10
    7 Tipuric 7/10
    6 Lydiate 6/10
    5 POC 7/10
    4 Gray 6/10
    3 Jones 9/10
    2 Hibbard 5/10
    1 Vunipola 8/10

16 Youngs 6/10
    17 Healy 7/10
    18 Stevens 6/10
    19 AWJ 7/10
    20 Heaslip 7/10
    21 Murray 8/10
    22 Sexton 8/10
    23 North 7/10

Ratings imo

• Advertisement

Yeah, the fact that I'm praising a player who was just awarded man of the match over a Munster player must mean its a homo-erotic obsession :rolleyes:

I could be wide of the mark, but I think he might have been making a joke their chief

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Farrell's been good at kicking and Jonathan has been good in play.

Hmm..

2 out of 5 isn't where Johnny want's to be at after the first match, that's for sure. Just a bad day I guess.

Hmmm nothing. There was a gulf between their performances and Sexton didn't even do anything special.

Conditions could have played a part in Sexton's kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Disastrous day for 'Brand Lions'. Serious question marks over the choice of venue and opposition. Conditions meant that we couldn't get the exhibition rugby that the Barbarians are associated with. However, conditions aside, most of the Baa-Baas players didn't live up to their reputations. I felt sorry for them that their scrum clearly wasn't working, however they let themselves down in most of the rest of the game as well. Two wings and sub scrum half were the only ones looking like they were really trying. I'd single out Rokococo in particular for commitment. Despite a couple of moments of class from him, worst game I've ever seen Parisse play. The way he let Philips just get away from him for Lions second try was disappointing.

Give me Cardiff and Argentina next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

If Halfpenny is fit and starting at FB he could be first choice kicker in any case.

Buer wrote: »
    Hmmm nothing. There was a gulf between their performances and Sexton didn't even do anything special.

He was far superior with ball in hand, his passing, ability to draw defenders and eye for space was much better

I could be wide of the mark, but I think he might have been making a joke their chief

If I was gay then surely I'd be opting for the scrumhalf who wears fake tan and straightens his hair, Connor Murray ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I thought Philips was pretty good anyway. Murray was also sharp when he came on. Bodes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah, the fact that I'm praising a player who was just awarded man of the match and scored two tries over a Munster player must mean its a homo-erotic obsession :rolleyes:

Chill a bit!

If I was gay then surely I'd be opting for the scrumhalf who wears fake tan and straightens his hair, Connor Murray ;)

amm ok, this is getting weird

• Advertisement

What happens if the Australians suss the breaking threat of Phillips though (as they've done before)?

And as much as I'd like to see him in a test, Murray won't be the answer off the bench if the above happens

Chill a bit!

Why? I'm perfectly chilled.

What happens if the Australians suss the breaking threat of Phillips though (as they've done before)?

And as much as I'd like to see him in a test, Murray won't be the answer off the bench if the above happens

Well if Phillips can't break then Murray doesn't have a hope to be honest.

Not trying to be offensive to Murray but hes a poor man's Phillips. Hes the same kind of player but less effective IMO. Phillips does everything he does and better. The best option is Phillips starting and then Youngs on bench to change things if its not working.

Youngs has to be in the matchday squad because he's a foil to Philips and Murray. Philips/Murray would just be daft imo, they're the same player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Surely it's 1/2p to kick after that display. In any case it should be him kicking from the start, miles ahead in terms of raw consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Well if Phillips can't break then Murray doesn't have a hope to be honest.

Not trying to be offensive to Murray but hes a poor man's Phillips. Hes the same kind of player but less effective IMO. Phillips does everything he does and better. The best option is Phillips starting and then Youngs on bench to change things if its not working.

Murray's breaking threat isn't as strong, but he is a better passer and kicker. Murray is probably the best alternative to either scrumhalf, but it might go against him as he isn't as fast as Youngs or as strong as Phillips. I was very impressed with his cameo though.

Sexton was good in general play when he came on, but his kicking was poor. He could (regrettably) miss out to Farrell for the 10 jersey if his kicking doesn't improve and Kearney edges Halfpenny for the 15 jersey. Without wanting to add to the Farrell criticism, we need Sexton for this tour as Farrell had 3/4 very poor moments today and very much looks the inexperienced 21 year old he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Murray's breaking threat isn't as strong, but he is a better passer and kicker. Murray is probably the best alternative to either scrumhalf, but it might go against him as he isn't as fast as Youngs or as strong as Phillips. I was very impressed with his cameo though.

Sexton was good in general play when he came on, but his kicking was poor. He could (regrettably) miss out to Farrell for the 10 jersey if his kicking doesn't improve and Kearney edges Halfpenny for the 15 jersey. Without wanting to add to the Farrell criticism, we need Sexton for this tour as Farrell had 3/4 very poor moments today and very much looks the inexperienced 21 year old he is.

You can rest easy Mahatma Geansai, HP is close to the first name on the teamsheet. No disrespect to Kearney, but HP has been consistently excellent these last 18 months, and his goalkicking is world class. He's a nailed on starter. Rob's only hope is that HP is put at 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Swiwi wrote: »
    You can rest easy Mahatma Geansai, HP is close to the first name on the teamsheet. No disrespect to Kearney, but HP has been consistently excellent these last 18 months, and his goalkicking is world class. He's a nailed on starter. Rob's only hope is that HP is put at 14.

With the quality of the wingers in the squad that is an unlikely scenario IMO.

Conditions could have played a part in Sexton's kicking.

I think three of his kicks were from the touchline, everyone misses those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

With the quality of the wingers in the squad that is an unlikely scenario IMO.

We concur Thomond. It will be HP at 15, with 2 of Bowe, Cuthbert & North on the wings. Tommy's probably my favourite Irish player, so I really hope he rips it up against the Force or Reds, whichever side he gets to face.

Advertisement