Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Barbarian FC, Sat 1 June 12:30pm; Sky Sports 1

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Lelantos wrote: »
    Farrell started it? Having said that, he too should have been cited, shocking inconsistency here

He should have been cited for holding someone? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Barbarians by 1-10
    Tox56 wrote: »
    He should have been cited for holding someone? :confused:

He gave Brits a bit of a b*tch slap after the punch, not much but it was still striking.

Anywho, what did people think of Faletau? Stephen Jones is creaming himself in the ST today but I didn't think he was a stand out performer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

He gave Brits a bit of a b*tch slap after the punch, not much but it was still striking.

Anywho, what did people think of Faletau? Stephen Jones is creaming himself in the ST today but I didn't think he was a stand out performer.

I thought he was ok. Heaslip looked a lot more effective when he came on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ahhh ffs, there's no way Farrell should have been cited.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Standout...no but decent...yes

The battle for the 8 shirt will be a very tight one.

• Advertisement

Difference for me is the workrate of the two. Toby F doesn't even come close to Heaslip. Heaslip is also a better lineout option and there really isn't much in there carrying

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I expected a lot more of Faletau. If he plays at that level the rest of the tour Heaslip will have no problem winning a starting place.

I hope there's more to come from Faletau though. The first time Heaslip has really been competing with someone decent for a starting place since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

trouttrout wrote: »
    Difference for me is the workrate of the two. Toby F doesn't even come close to Heaslip. Heaslip is also a better lineout option and there really isn't much in there carrying

Faletau is probably better at returning the ball from dropoffs and the like; he was brilliant in this regard yesterday. Heaslip is a much more complete player who is coming into some great form though. It should be interesting to see how both fare during the tour.

I wonder if Heaslip will get the honour of captaining any of the midweek sides. It would be a massive honour for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I expected a lot more of Faletau. If he plays at that level the rest of the tour Heaslip will have no problem winning a starting place.

I hope there's more to come from Faletau though. The first time Heaslip has really been competing with someone decent for a starting place since...

...since Andy Powell in 09? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

I think Heaslip is going to have to be streets ahead of faletau to get selected. At the moment there isn't much in it. Heaslip is playing ok (not outstanding) and Faletau is a decent international. Neither of them are anywhere near the form of a Scott Quinnell in 2001 tour.

I'd love to see Sean O'Brein get a run at number 8. I think he might get a start on the Saturday game if he gets the all clear. Possibly Heaslip to start on weds then half a game between faletau and O'Brein on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

conneem-TT wrote: »
    They reduced it to 3 weeks due to "compelling mitigating factors". Any ideas on what they mean by this?

Probably the nature of the game, Brits' previous disciplinary record, the fact that there was some level of provocation, and that Owen Farrell is right up there with Delon Armitage in most people's list of people they want to punch in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

bilston wrote: »
    Players in credit after today
    Adam Jones
    Paul O'Connell
    Mike Phillips
    Jamie Roberts
    Jonathan Davies

Of the rest Vunipola went pretty well and the Welsh back row we're pretty solid if not spectacular.. AWJ and Murray both had good cameos.

The big thing here is vital gane time for the Welsh and Scottish guys who haven't played in a while, no injuries and a sense that a specific gameplan is being implemented and executed as well as can be expected at this stage.

Wednesday will be a big step up though as the opposition while not as talented will be much better drilled and conditioned than the Baabaas.

Davies made a few errors that you can't afford against the Aussies in a test match. I didn't think he was that great. Cuthbert is a lethal finisher but again the little errors get shown up the higher up the level.got put into touch too easily,defensively at fault for the babas try. Not able to get involved in the game in first half.
    Maitland did very little and with so few chances to impress he will only have maybe one more outing to make an impression.
    Thought Hogg looked lively,potential wing option maybe.

Though gray was good,second row competition is going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Proud Orange

It was a great performance by the Lions yesterday at times but the Farrell punch was probably the best part, I found myself supporting the Baabaas at times with him on the pitch!

I'm looking forward to Wednesday more than I was yesterdays match to see Tommy and Rory in action and I'm a bit disappointed that the Lions tour couldn't have come a year later because undoubtedly this time next year Paddy Jackson will have shown he's better than Farrell!

The Welsh lads did well yesterday but it was pathetic how much Barnes was praising Davies he wasn't that good and won't start the tests ahead of BOD! Madigan should have also been brought because two 10s and one 12 isn't enough really and it could be shown up come test time!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

The barbarians were good but we were awesome. philps, wow what a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thought Faletau was good. Didn't do anything spectacular but played well. Took on a huge amount of ball, carried solidly, showed lovely hands a couple of times. He didn't stamp his authority in a game that was made for him though and was turned inside out for the Barbarians try. No shame in a back rower being skinned by Rokocoko but he didn't make much of an effort.

Heaslip is well able to match what Faletau did and exceed it. I reckon it's going to be a great battle for the shirt.

Buer wrote: »
    Thought Faletau was good. Didn't do anything spectacular but played well. Took on a huge amount of ball, carried solidly, showed lovely hands a couple of times. He didn't stamp his authority in a game that was made for him though and was turned inside out for the Barbarians try. No shame in a back rower being skinned by Rokocoko but he didn't make much of an effort.

Heaslip is well able to match what Faletau did and exceed it. I reckon it's going to be a great battle for the shirt.

Not a chance, heaslip is only keeping themid week shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Barbarians by 1-10
    fishook wrote: »

Good contribution.

Good contribution.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

:rolleyes:

I'm sure his point was you made a fairly sweeping statement with no evidence or argument to back it up. Doesn't lend itself to discussion really.

• Advertisement

This new fishook is a disgrace to the fishook name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Buer wrote: »
    I'm sure his point was you made a fairly sweeping statement with no evidence or argument to back it up. Doesn't lend itself to discussion really.

Faletau is Welsh, is that good enough :)

decisions wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

them welsh boys put a marker down, will be very hard to force their way into that team after that

them welsh boys put a marker down, will be very hard to force their way into that team after that

hmm, the posting style seems very similar

Anyway, the match yesterday will mean very little in the grand scheme of things

It was against an absolutely abysmal Babaa's side in conditions that will be nothing like the ones in Australia

trouttrout wrote: »
    hmm, the posting style seems very similar

Anyway, the match yesterday will mean very little in the grand scheme of things

It was against an absolutely abysmal Babaa's side in conditions that will be nothing like the ones in Australia

some good boys in that barbarians team,that lions could beat the all blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

some good boys in that barbarians team,that lions could beat the all blacks

No they couldn't, the Barbarians were poor, especially in the 2nd half. Just because they had good players doesn't mean they played well or were that interested after they fell a couple of scores behind. You're seriously overestimating the performance.

I thought the Right Wing was very good.

Cuthbert wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Advertisement