Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General chit chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Just thought i'd throw this in here

I was in tesco clearwater today...they have a bit of homebrew stuff.

I got a tub of yeast for 3.20 and a 1 gal glass demijohn for a tenner.

There's also beer and wine kids, coopers equipment a lot of it is marked down.

I plan a trip back there next week (payday!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Has anyone been a Tesco lately - I'm near Clare Hall and Finglas, do they definitely have home brew stuff?

If not, is there anywhere around Dublin, bricks and mortar to get a tin of basic mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Has anyone been a Tesco lately - I'm near Clare Hall and Finglas, do they definitely have home brew stuff?

If not, is there anywhere around Dublin, bricks and mortar to get a tin of basic mix?

They both have homebrew products although a bit limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't mind about a limited stock, I'm still in the process of "teaching" a couple of lads the basics.

I want them to do one more "straight" brew from a kit, meanwhile I'm tweaking a Stout with chocolate and chilli today.

Grand, I can pick up an IPA or something in Tesco, they'll be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in Tesco Maynooth today and the Youngs kits are alot cheaper, between €9.50 - €11 a kit plus the Woodfords 3kg kit is down to €23.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

anyone got an opinion on the electric brew kettles you can but from home brew west?
    This on in particular

I got a load of vouchers for xmas and want to use them up, i dont need grain or anything really, just a larger brew kettle as i have been doing micro brew up till now as i dont have a big enough kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Would anyone be able to tell me the best yeast for making mead? I was going to put on a few different recipes but not sure if cider yeast or wine yeast would be suitable.

I got a Doc's original chardonnay kit recently, 1 week away from racking now, had a taste and it's pretty good, would recommend it so far and it's only going to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I think the Lalvin(?) D47 is a mead yeast...

Link here..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

eurofoxy wrote: »
    anyone got an opinion on the electric brew kettles you can but from home brew west?
    This on in particular

I got a load of vouchers for xmas and want to use them up, i dont need grain or anything really, just a larger brew kettle as i have been doing micro brew up till now as i dont have a big enough kettle.

What put me off brew kettles was their price. I use a 40L Buffalo catering boiler, as a single vessel (Brew in a Bag - mash and boil in the same vessel). I have to babysit the mash a lot as it is not insulated, and the thermostat is not as reliable as I want. But it is another option.

There are other simple options, that work really well as boilers: there are uk shops that can convert 50 or 70L stockpots, with taps, heating elements etc. Probably the cheapest way to get a really big vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

If anyone is interested, the task on the Apprentice on BBC is to invent a new flavoured beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

I keep forgetting to tell this to the internet:
    Lidl are doing 26 litre coolboxes for €13, might be good for folks making a small mash tun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jesus that's perfect! Bitta copper pipe and I'm away

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What a day!! Very much looking forward to a nice cold glass of home brewed cider this evening. Delighted with myself that I have some. :)

Khannie wrote: »
    What a day!! Very much looking forward to a nice cold glass of home brewed cider this evening. Delighted with myself that I have some. :)

I have the day off work tomorrow and lots of cider on the shelf so I'll be with you in spirit while I sit in the sun with a few cold ones this evening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lidl are selling these from today.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_31712.htm

They would be handy alternatives to regular crates.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Lidl are selling these from today.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_31712.htm

They would be handy alternatives to regular crates.

I have one of those already, I wouldn't say they're robust enough for full bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Oh really?

I'll get a couple for empties then.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Oh really?

I'll get a couple for empties then.

I use mine in the back of the car, they are handy and are worth getting, I'm just not sure if they would handle the weight of full bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Just curious about something.

I'm only at this a few months now and have been using coopers plastic PETS for my turbo cider.

I was thinking about using glass bottles and crown caps...how strong is the seal? I dont want to have to explain to the wife why a load of bottles have exploded in the press...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

giftgrub wrote: »

I'm only at this a few months now and have been using coopers plastic PETS for my turbo cider.

I was thinking about using glass bottles and crown caps...how strong is the seal?

The seal is very good ,when done right get a bench capper or good two lever one. You can test seal in a basin of water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

giftgrub wrote: »

I was thinking about using glass bottles and crown caps...how strong is the seal? I dont want to have to explain to the wife why a load of bottles have exploded in the press...

The seal won't be the problem, the bottles will explode if you put too much priming sugar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Hey, I'm making a brew and I forgot to get priming sugars. Would a spoonful of regular sugar per 500ml bottle do the job alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Brian2208 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm making a brew and I forgot to get priming sugars. Would a spoonful of regular sugar per 500ml bottle do the job alright?

Yep it will do just fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say half a teaspoonful, but I like carbonation to be quite low.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jaysus...brews are a lot more vigorous in the summer! The pong coming from under my stairs is not making me any friends in the house right now.

Khannie wrote: »
    Jaysus...brews are a lot more vigorous in the summer! The pong coming from under my stairs is not making me any friends in the house right now.

I have two DOC wine kits on the go at the minute and I have to open every window as soon as i get home from work and leave open till about 11pm cos of the funky smell from them...CO2 I imagine...Not unpleasant just strong.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

For the kits that instruct to add 1kg of DME and top up to 23L, what volume would you top up to if you used just the kit and not the extra DME? Would 15L or so give about the same abv, body etc.?

I've a few kits that I want to get rid of before the best before date is up and I don't really want to waste any extra DME, that I could just use to make a nicer extract batch with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's more than just the fermentables to consider. A kilo of sugar is probably better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's more than just the fermentables to consider. A kilo of sugar is probably better than nothing.

Aren't kits just made up of malt extract and hop extract? So, wouldn't having no extra malt and then adding less water just increase the effects of the hops on the beer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Would filling to 15litres not make the hop profile more prominent? I would be interested in the result. Brewferm kits require less water. What would be the difference between them and the coopers kits for example?

Advertisement