Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chit chat

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You're still going to need a way to keep the wort at 7-10 degrees as it ferments. If you don't have a fermenting fridge you can't make lager at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You could get a Kölsch yeast and throw that in.

Is this a kit or grain?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Its a kit, and my first attempt at anything! If it all goes south Ill buy an ale kit instead

Oh if it's a kit it's probably fine. Most of the ones branded as "lager" come with an ale yeast because they're intended to be fermented at room temperature. Which kit is it? Still don't pitch at 32C, but just leave it until it's down to about 27.

One of your own recommendations from a different thread :) Its all a learning curve anyways, and a good lesson in knowing what you're doing before you do it! https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/fathers-day-special-beer-starter-kit-makes-40-pints-p-2284.html

• Advertisement

So it's the Munton's Premium Lager Kit? That's an ale and will be fine pitching at 27 or below and fermenting at room temperature.

Im glad, hopefully everything else was done right and I'll see some bubbles soon

No air lock activity since this morning, when for the last few days it was a bubble every three seconds or so. Any thoughts? Its only fermenting 5 days

Ignore the airlock, it doesn't tell you anything useful. Give it a couple more days then see where the gravity is at. It all sounds on course to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tescos cheap growers harvest apple juice seems out of stock in the 1L cartons. The big 2L ones are on offer, 2x2L for €3.50

Strangely it has a different nutritional content, thought the packing is the same.

the 79c online shows
    1L is Carbohydrate 11.7g
    Sugars 9.6g

my actual carton says
    Carbohydrate 9.5g
    Sugars 9.5g

the 2L
    online & carton is
    Carbohydrate 10.8g
    Sugars 10.4g

The 2L is in the chilled section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

rubadub wrote: »
    Tescos cheap growers harvest apple juice seems out of stock in the 1L cartons. The big 2L ones are on offer, 2x2L for €3.50

Strangely it has a different nutritional content, thought the packing is the same.

the 79c online shows
    1L is Carbohydrate 11.7g
    Sugars 9.6g

my actual carton says
    Carbohydrate 9.5g
    Sugars 9.5g

the 2L
    online & carton is
    Carbohydrate 10.8g
    Sugars 10.4g

Is this good for turbo cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I'm in the process of trying out a few "proof of concept" brews at the minute.

I had a bottle of Lidl's Patronus wheat beer last week and noticed that it had some (yeast?) sediment in it and I tried to cultivate it by pouring it in with some sugary water, but I had no luck with it. No activity. Would the yeast have run out of steam and died off, or is there another reason why it is no longer alive?

I also have a demijohn of lemon and ginger beer on the go right now and as an experiment I used normal bread yeast. it is bubbling away nicely and I would say the fermentation will be over in a couple of days. Most advice says not to use baking yeast, however. Does anyone have any experience with this or know a good source of reasonably-priced brewing yeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rubadub wrote: »

the 79c online shows
    1L is Carbohydrate 11.7g
    Sugars 9.6g

my actual carton says
    Carbohydrate 9.5g
    Sugars 9.5g

the 2L
    online & carton is
    Carbohydrate 10.8g
    Sugars 10.4g

Ohh, I'm about to start cider brewing and was going to test a few different apple juices, is this one a good one?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    No activity. Would the yeast have run out of steam and died off, or is there another reason why it is no longer alive?
    Pasteurisation, I'd say. RIP, yeasties.
    Roald Dahl wrote: »
    a good source of reasonably-priced brewing yeast?
    Any of the online homebrew shops. It might be worth asking if they'll post to you, to save paying full-whack delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Thanks, BeerNut. I was thinking pasteurization too, but was not sure if German beer is pasteurized.

Advertisement