Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Disgraceful and upsetting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,387 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are these crèches still open??

Yes and by the look of it taking in millions of our hard earned taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

peppapig24 wrote: »
    In tears watching it very sad. More than one staff member involved so why only one sacked?

Giraffe statement mentioned they were suspended. That's not sacked - investigation still underway probably...

I'm not really shocked by this to be honest.
    A poorly regulated industry with bad pay and no requirements for qualifications that's profit driven.. it's not going to be all perfect.
    Similar to nursing homes.
    It's a shame as majority of workers probably excellent. Minority allowed to do huge damage to reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Yes but in fairness this is all spotted from someone coming from outside doing some secret filming over a couple of weeks, should be obvious for decent staff working here over time that some of their collegues are unfit to care for children and perhaps dangerous to be around kids.
    Ah, I'm just thinking that there has to be some decent people working in these places who will probably find it impossible to get work after this. It's possible they might have raised concerns to management (like the researchers did) but management failed to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭peppapig24

MrsD007 wrote: »
    There are bound to be some decent staff working in these places too and it's going to very difficult for them.

Completely agree. I ment as a result of the footage there was only one person suspended but there has been several staff members shown in tonights footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Every creche good and bad in the country will be busy answering parents queries tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yet another eye opening documentary about people put in a position of trust in this country.

Old folks homes. The Church. Now this.

Really is turning my stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

EdCastle wrote: »
    Creches are a joke. Why would you leave your kids with a bunch of strangers?

Back in the day, parents actually looked after their kids at home.

Fact is...if you leave your kids out of your care then anything could be happening.

Child care my are!

Fact is many parents have no choice but to use child minding facilities, and back in the day there wasn't as much financial and materialistic pressure on parents.Times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

Live-feed CCTV available for parents would ensure this would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ive just tuned in as I was watching Britain's got Talent,saw that clip of the woman/animal roaring at the child to eat up or else she would put it into the bin,its her that should have put into the bin.

Like these people are being trusted to do a job,its fairly sickening to watch their behaviour towards the kids.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Every creche good and bad in the country will be busy answering parents queries tomorrow.
    My sister lives next to a creche and she said for the last week the staff have been in overdrive taking the children out for walks and they have been doing more outdoor activities, things that would rarely have happened before.

M

Beanmonkey wrote: »

And be open to massive abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vforvictory

I wonder how Irish family homes would fare after two weeks of secret filming?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

75% in breach of Regulations.

And the Government won't release the information.

Nothing ever changes, there is zero accountability in this 'Republic' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Yes and by the look of it taking in millions of our hard earned taxes.

Unbelievable! Can't imagine any parents dropping their wee one in after watching this.

I feel ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I don't know why people are surprised at this. I really don't. It's not the owners and staff I blame either.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I know of a crèche owner who gets a heads-up from her HSE friend whenever she's getting an inspection. She rings around her family to get sisters/aunts/nieces etc in to make sure staff ratios are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

And be open to massive abuse.

Could be overcome by secure log-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I've been crying watching this since half 9.

Crying with laughter....:D

Grow up! This is not after hours ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Heard about creche that did this. They had to stop it as parents didn't want other parents being able to view their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

realies wrote: »
    Fact is many parents have no choice but to use child minding facilities, and back in the day there wasn't as much financial and materialistic pressure on parents.Times have changed.

Yes, I agree.

Creches don't come cheap though, when all is said and done, some parents would be better off minding there kids at home. What is more important then your child's welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Are the staff not receiving the proper training to do the job,they should be able to deal with problems no matter how big the problem is,could you imagine a nurse acting like that in a kids ward in a hospital,she would be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd be very opposed to this. Putting in CCTV means that other people can be watching my child. I don't want that possibility to exist.

As an aside, this programme is very upsetting to watch. I'm so glad we are sending our daughter to a child minder who only looks after a total of three children.
    Also, my wife was talking to someone she knows who works in a Giraffe and she said she wouldn't even send her own kids to it - mainly due to the adult/child ratios, under-trained staff etc...

Folks,

Report any posts that you find offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

And the government wont release these reports??
    What sort of sham country do we live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Wow swearing in front of the kids adios links

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's a shame as majority of workers probably excellent. Minority allowed to do huge damage to reputation.
    True. I know one of them. Very upsetting for them. This particular worker has been getting great support since this scandal broke from parents who are delighted with the relationship she has formed with their children. Some staff who raised concerns haven't been listened to either. For obvious reasons I won't say which creche, or what age group.

M

Could be overcome by secure log-in.

And still open to abuse. Who knows what caliber of person the parents of any of the other kids in the crech are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

btard wrote: »
    I don't know why people are surprised at this. I really don't. It's not the owners and staff I blame either.

I think that parents trust the carers - like they trust teachers when the child is old enough to go to school. teachers are Garda vetted - are these nutters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Bitch.

Advertisement