Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Do low wages really justify what some of these workers are doing? Basic human decency, compassion and kindness is what they lacked, trained or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ffs, I just don't know where to start with this.

Me neither. But nothing really needs to be added. Each point is full and correct as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. 99% of workers are women, who have shorter fuses than men.
    2. They're paid peanuts.
    3. Too many people have kids without thinking of the consequences. The level of Mummy Resentment is just frightening in Ireland today…
    4. People will now realize that one parent at home is the only way to control your child's welfare.
    5. The public service has been cut to the bone so inspections are not frequent enough.
    6. When HSE inspections are carried out, the workers will adjust their behavior accordingly.
    7. Crèches are run for profit not welfare.
    1. WTF?!?
    2. True.
    3. See response to 1.
    4 Untrue.
    5. True.
    6. Some will.
    7. They can and should be both. Obviously they're businesses. They are in the business of care though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why not just copy what a decent country does, no need to spend €156 million on reports and rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Is there a list of creche's with their breach reports? I want to know if my creche is in that list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

my blood pressure is gone true the roof after watching that..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 oreilly1979

And be open to massive abuse.

How so? I think its the only way that proper behaviour is assured

- feel so sorry for those kids and they're parents too...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Skid X wrote: »
    This Panel is badly missing some representation from the Government and the HSE.
    Of course!!!!! Nobody has the balls in the government or HSE to show their faces! And sure they will avoid answering the questions directly and quote some other bollocksology!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

Training or no training, it should be a basic instinct in any decent human being not to be firing small kids around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 oreilly1979

Beanmonkey wrote: »
    Live-feed CCTV available for parents would ensure this would never happen.

Sorry folks just to clarify - since my post above looks out of context it was this that I was what I was replying to also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

EdCastle wrote: »
    Training or no training, it should be a basic instinct now to be firing small kids around the place.
    Should be? It obviously isn't for everybody. Training to the correct levels might help weed out those who slipped through the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How so? I think its the only way that proper behaviour is assured

- feel so sorry for those kids and they're parents too...

Because you would need a 2nd camera recording parents looking at the 1st camera.

Just as a matter if interest, if staff were made up predominantly of men would there be this problem? I know a lot of parents will say" I'm not comfortable leaving my child in a man's care" but they mightnt be too mad leaving them in women's care after tonight. Should there be more men employed in the childcare childcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Training or no training, it should be a basic instinct in any decent human being not to be firing small kids around the place.

Well said, that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

endacl wrote: »
    1. WTF?!?
    2. True.
    3. See response to 1.
    4 Untrue.
    5. True.
    6. Some will.
    7. They can and should be both. Obviously they're businesses. They are in the business of care though.

1. The girls throwing kids to the ground should not be doing this. They also require no qualifications to work in a creche.

2. With qualification will come better pay. This will kill the private enterprises.

4. Sadly true, and society will benefit in so many ways when this happens.

5. The more cuts, the poorer the service.

6. No worker will behave like that in front of a Public Health Nurse. Fact.

7. The nature of the beast is, as with Nursing Homes the greedy private enterprise cares less about the service when there is non stop demand... and they'll charge you a mortgage for it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sniipe wrote: »
    Is there a list of creche's with their breach reports? I want to know if my creche is in that list.

No, the reports are not published. That should be the first thing to change - parents have a right to know what is going on in these creches.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Just watching this now having recorded it. I'm finding it really difficult to watch.

As well as the horrible clips of mistreatment, I can't believe that it's acceptable for kids to have their nap time on mattresses on the floor in bright rooms. Surely they should be in cots in dark rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Totally
    It was so so sad to see those little ones cry and no hugs or comfort were given

Toddlers get themselves into such an emotional state snd there is no return unless a kind person just holds or hugs them .

Yes and they were there crying their little hearts out while their parents were working to send them to a place like that unknown to them they were mistreated

Oh and whats with putting blankets over their heads if someone did that to me id bust them .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

It was like something out of a low-budget horror movie. The way they were singing songs like Old McDonald had a Farm... and suddenly shrieking at a child trying to get out of their seat and grabbing things off them.

I think I'm traumatized after watching that. I can still hear that one vicious fat woman shouting: "LIE DOWN!!! LIE DOWN!!!" while forcibly holding him down.... and this would all be written down afterwards as "was exhausted after all the activities and playing and had a nice nap".

And the diaries... all fabricated: "Any date, any time, any activity. We make it all up."

The HSE were just on an inspection there.... and found everything was "perfectly fine". :confused:

No, the reports are not published. That should be the first thing to change - parents have a right to know what is going on in these creches.
    So I have no idea if my creche is any good? Will I have to hire an undercover person for my creche also?

what about the freedom of information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

These reports need to be online available to the public And it has to be done now!!!!!!! HSE me arse!

When I collect my child they have circle time...
    When my child goes to sleep at home she will repeat "lie down, close your eyes, go to sleep" repeatedly... I have no idea if its said in a nice way or a loud manner - my child is only 1.

The workers could be as nice as punch to me when I meet them but I've no idea whats going on the past 8 hours. No CCTV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

So I have no idea if my creche is any good? Will I have to hire an undercover person for my creche also?

I don't know much about it, to be honest.

Although I did read this in Saturday's Irish Times, and I would suggest people should bombard their TDs and demand this most basic information is released without any further delay.
    The Government is to fast-track childcare reforms which will allow parents to see inspection reports into their children’s creches, following allegations of mistreatment of children in three centres.

Other reforms planned include inspections focusing on quality of care, compelling creches to register and training staff to higher standards.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/creche-inspection-reports-to-be-made-public-within-weeks-1.1405993

When I collect my child they have circle time...
    When my child goes to sleep at home she will repeat "lie down, close your eyes, go to sleep" repeatedly... I have no idea if its said in a nice way or a loud manner - my child is only 1.

The workers could be as nice as punch to me when I meet them but I've no idea whats going on the past 8 hours. No CCTV either.

Many mobile phones and mp3 players have microphones built into them. Maybe you could set one of them going and leave it on for the day?

... I would suggest people should bombard their TDs and demand this most basic information is released without any further delay.

I plan on doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Actually that's a good point - where does the freedom of information act stand on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CCTV should be a requirement in order to get a licence for these establishments.
    Cameras all over the place and recorders too.
    Abusing children should never be tolerated. The Garda should be involved now. Prosecutions should ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

it was the Links in Abington Malahide where the physical abuse took place.

The footage from the Links creche in Malahide showed children being cursed at, grabbed and slammed into their seats by staff. One child was thrown or dropped on to a mat during sleep time while a child who would not go to sleep had his mattress taken away.

Garda Station
    1-2 St. James Terrace
    Malahide
    Co. Dublin

Tel: 0 1 666 4600.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

DUBACC wrote: »
    Actually that's a good point - where does the freedom of information act stand on this?

Should be available under the FOI act judging by the FOI act page on HSE website.

• Advertisement

Hondo75 wrote: »
    it was the Links in Abington Malahide where the physical abuse took place.

The footage from the Links creche in Malahide showed children being cursed at, grabbed and slammed into their seats by staff. One child was thrown or dropped on to a mat during sleep time while a child who would not go to sleep had his mattress taken away.

Garda Station
    1-2 St. James Terrace
    Malahide
    Co. Dublin

Tel: 0 1 666 4600.

I would be feeling pretty violent right now if I were one of the parents of a child being abused in there.

Advertisement