Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Special - Child Care in Ireland (No Downloads - Please Read Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It's the pregnancy glow, she looks great!

It's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Video evidence is imissable in court, fair enough. They just stated that links have CCTV in every room, go request it you ****ing ***** and lock that bastard up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Depressing viewing.
    Probably many couples with young kids who are already financial pressure, working damn hard to balance 2 jobs and then pay though the nose for childcare... then they watch this tonight.
    Watching this could well make some couples see if they could manage with one income.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I feel sorry for the well run Creches and the staff who work hard and do a great job for the children in their care.

They have been let down by the shoddy operators we saw tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

These abusive staff have to be named,if their not then what is stopping them getting another job or even setting up their own creche?

This Garda vetting sounds like a bit of joke of a carry on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Do men's opinions not count on this? Any chance of a little balance on the panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I think that parents trust the carers - like they trust teachers when the child is old enough to go to school. teachers are Garda vetted - are these nutters?

A child old enough to go to school can talk and say if something was amiss. These are babies. I don't even have young kids and I'm upset watching this. I wouldn't leave my dog with strangers let alone a baby if I had one. A few low paid workers will get sacked. The other creche owners will say it does not happen here. It will all blow over and parents will carry on dumping their babies with strangers. I better shut up now because I'm too upset to keep my anger within acceptable bounds on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Francis Fitzgerald refused to come on the show. Coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Pretty resentful of the women being interviewed during the documentary steering us all towards what to think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Just strikes me as typical of the Mangy Celtic Tiger.
    Maximise profits. Hire selfish, uncaring bints who are more interested in their smartphones than being human towards children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

snipey wrote: »
    thanks skidx

Bear in mind that there's several of them in Malahide.
    I think that one was the Abington branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

touts wrote: »

Lets hope that this 'statement' she is making tomorrow is something pro-active

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

All women panel, all women carers. Why isn't there a balance just as in a child's family life?

What was viewed was heartbreaking. There are good carers, and they'll be tarred with this brush too. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,195 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A levy on condoms perhaps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya probably make some statement tomorrow,then wait for the storm to blow over and carry on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Hardly surprising, this is the same minister who was asked to appear before the Children's Court recently, she sent civil servants instead. Yet she was available to speak to Richard Crowley on RTE Radio 1 on the same day.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fitzgerald-wont-attend-childrens-court-sitting-sends-representative-instead-593941.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What is this woman going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If anyone wants to be further depressed, look up what childcare in Sweden is like.
    I've friends there and it's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

"HSE not in a position to comment on ongoing investigations!!!" Such bollocksology!!!
    If the HSE want to keep some sort of reputation they would come on prime time with the truth and admit they failed too! But no! ****!!

These so call child minders especially the links crèche one needs jail and to be made an example of! As a dad, it nearly brought tears seeing what she did to kids!

If this was animal abuse, the ispca would have it sorted! Where is the justice for these young kids?
    ****ing sicken ye so it would!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pedro552

The HSE had "inspected" these creches not too long before these films were made! And let them stay open even though they breached some of the regulations... Were the parents notified of these breaches or were they published anywhere....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can say, having some experience of care work in the past, that this is what you get when you pay minimum wage to workers with maximum responsibility. I worked with some great people. I also worked with some total tools.

There are some excellent people with a capacity, an aptitude, and a natural affinity for children, doing excellent work in the sector, and even in those creches shown. They've all just been tarred with a horrible brush, based on the behaviour of a minority if their colleagues.

As well as minimum standards being set down, so should a higher minimum pay for the staff, and a higher standard of training. Creches make profits. Maybe they should make slightly lower profits and have better staff? Keep the good ones, and lose the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I don't have any children but I'm so angry having watched this. There is no excuse for the behaviour seen here. I don't know how these people can live with themselves and I don't know how a lot of them will be able to go about their daily lives after this has aired as you couldn't but know who they are.

I wonder can criminal prosecutions be brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

1. 99% of workers are women, who have shorter fuses than men.
    2. They're paid peanuts.
    3. Too many people have kids without thinking of the consequences. The level of Mummy Resentment is just frightening in Ireland today…
    4. People will now realize that one parent at home is the only way to control your child's welfare.
    5. The public service has been cut to the bone so inspections are not frequent enough.
    6. When HSE inspections are carried out, the workers will adjust their behavior accordingly.
    7. Crèches are run for profit not welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pedro552

robclay26 wrote: »
    "HSE not in a position to comment on ongoing investigations!!!" Such bollocksology!!!
    If the HSE want to keep some sort of reputation they would come on prime time with the truth and admit they failed too! But no! ****!!

These so call child minders especially the links crèche one needs jail and to be made an example of! As a dad, it nearly brought tears seeing what she did to kids!

If this was animal abuse, the ispca would have it sorted! Where is the justice for these young kids?
    ****ing sicken ye so it would!

HSE don't give a f##k about kids. I've had personal experience of this with the HSE and they act with impunity and anonimity... Absolute jokers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If anyone wants to be further depressed, look up what childcare in Sweden is like.
    I've friends there and it's unreal.

This country is very poor when it comes to services. People paying big money for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2. They're paid peanuts.
    3. Too many people have kids without thinking of the consequences. The level of Mummy Resentment is just frightening in Ireland today…
    4. People will now realize that one parent at home is the only way to control your child's welfare.
    5. The public service has been cut to the bone so inspections are not frequent enough.
    6. When HSE inspections are carried out, the workers will adjust their behavior accordingly.

Ffs, I just don't know where to start with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This Panel is badly missing some representation from the Government and the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Fairly typical of government here, on a night when a huge amount of people are worried and want answers and reassurance, they take to the hills. Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

2. They're paid peanuts.
    Wow :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭EdCastle

With scandals in the church and nursing home and now this. This is the only way to ensure your child's welfare in this country.

Advertisement