Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New acorn fittings

Options
  • 27-05-2013 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

What's plumbers views on these new fittings? I personally can't stand them. There not a patch on the old acorn fittings in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Never liked Acorn myself, fittings too bulky for my liking. Newer stuff looks neater, but I'm a multi-layer convert now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

the new wedge works well, if you use them right and drive them "home" properly, thats why lads don't like the new one because they dont use them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Techtite only for testing. Compression otherwise. Thats it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

I have on 3 seperate occasions pulled the pipe out of the new fittings when they were put in correctly. Much weaker grab ring in them than the old ones

Never forget I was a first year apprentice. Was involved with the cleanup after the blue ring cheap version of techtite blew off after a booster pump. Apartment right at the top. They were away for the weekend.

Hoovering water for about 4 days in the unoccupied officed below

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Never forget I was a first year apprentice. Was involved with the cleanup after the blue ring cheap version of techtite blew off after a booster pump. Apartment right at the top. They were away for the weekend.

Hoovering water for about 4 days in the unoccupied officed below

I tell ya it's only a matter of time with these ones too!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    the new wedge works well, if you use them right and drive them "home" properly, thats why lads don't like the new one because they dont use them properly.

The wedge me arse! How do you use the wedge of 2 fittings are close together? Or how to you check the pipe is properly inserted if 2 fittings are close. How do you turn the pipe to feel the ridges on the insert? They're a bigger, uglier, weaker, Unuser friendly fitting. Jesus have you seen the size of the 3/4" tap connectors?? A hydrodare fitting would be tidier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

Never forget I was a first year apprentice.

a long long time ago.:rolleyes:

what comes after apprentice. amateur or novice.:

can plumbers even use a blowtorch or spanners now. jesus house wifes could do your job these days. only a few good lads left. the rest of the good lads you would have dig them up.

QBE wrote: »

can plumbers even use a blowtorch or spanners now. jesus house wifes could do your job these days. only a few good lads left. the rest of the good lads you would have dig them up.

I'm well able to weld, solder and braze just like many of us are here. This thread is about comparing the new acorn fitting to the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

what has this comment got to do with the topic are we back to this again ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

the new ac are in no way as versitle as old stuff, one example if you were short a 3/4 x 1/2 reducer just get a 3/4 1/2 1/2 and put the stainless blank plate in the branch, also for testing used to buy a shed load of elbows and blank plates cause at least when your finished you've not left with 30 blank caps in the van going missing. the old stuff was just hander and imo more secure. Don't really have much call for ac fittings to dear the vw is full with brass and ac piping and copper. That's the way I roll for the moment.

...hahahaa

I read some where a long time back that acorn fittings and piping was banned in certain parts of the usa. so that says enough about that plastic crap for me.

however that qualpex aint bad in tight spots on domestic small jobs. but dont know about them loosey push on things. ill stick with the instanter with a bit of silicone on the olive . if i had to use plastic.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I'm well able to weld, solder and braze just like many of us are here. This thread is about comparing the new acorn fitting to the old.

ah your proper ole stock.

bet you know how to thatch a roof and weld a lead apron around the chimney stack after the thatch has been installed .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Infraction for QBE.
    You are only back from serving a ban and you seen determined to continue where you left off.
    Either be civil and respectful to other members or we can make it longer.
    Last warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

I read some where a long time back that acorn fittings and piping was banned in certain parts of the usa. so that says enough about that plastic crap for me.

however that qualpex aint bad in tight spots on domestic small jobs. but dont know about them loosey push on things. ill stick with the instanter with a bit of silicone on the olive . if i had to use plastic.

Silicone? Jeez.............

Mutha wrote: »

i said on the olive.... whats wrong with that.... will it corode the brass. love to hear your opinion.

it makes the fitting water tight and i guarantee you will never get as much as a weep from them and guess what ........ you dont even need to be an rgi to do this and the world wont end in an explosion due to this.....................jeez?

Mutha wrote: »

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The wedge me arse!

interesting the way you bring your arse into the discussion? you ok there?

Em not that long about 7 years. And I can solder soft and hard. Braize very well (long as its not those prefluxed rods useless yokes) and mig tig and arc stainless and mildsteel. Only mild steel for oxy.

+1

Id be a firm hock white man myself. Not fond of ptfe. Or the likes of uniwhite

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    interesting the way you bring your arse into the discussion? you ok there?

Oh I apologise for my foul language.
    Fittings are still crap though

Id be a firm hock white man myself. Not fond of ptfe. Or the likes of uniwhite[/QUOTE]

Uniwhite all the way......

Hock white only for sandwiches.

Em not that long about 7 years. And I can solder soft and hard. Braize very well (long as its not those prefluxed rods useless yokes) and mig tig and arc stainless and mildsteel. Only mild steel for oxy.

Id be a firm hock white man myself. Not fond of ptfe. Or the likes of uniwhite
    i said on the olive.... whats wrong with that.... will it corode the brass. love to hear your opinion.

it makes the fitting water tight and i guarantee you will never get as much as a weep from them and guess what ........ you dont even need to be an rgi to do this and the world wont end in an explosion due to this.....................jeez?

What if you need to redo a fitting isent silcone kinda permanent. ?..:p

esox28 wrote: »

I've taken apart fittings quite easily before that had silicone. We had a good laugh doing it. Thought it was some enthusiastic DIYer that did them originally

esox28 wrote: »

makes no sense. :confused:

anyway if your as good as me self. never have to redo

makes no sense. :confused:

anyway if your as good as me self. never have to redo

I'm pretty sure some silicones corrode copper

I'm pretty sure some silicones corrode copper

what has copper got to do with this subject? :confused:

what has copper got to do with this subject? :confused:

My mistake QBE. I thought you said you put silicone on the olives of compression fittings

My mistake QBE. I thought you said you put silicone on the olives of compression fittings

yes i said olives. some are made from copper. please define your theory

or is this more poisoned candy

your friends might help you out....anthonyos, Dtp79, esox28, jimf. more similar brains like yours work better

by the way im not just a plumber. a lot more qbe than that

• Advertisement

yes i said olives. some are made from copper. please define your theory

or is this more poisoned candy

your friends might help you out....anthonyos, Dtp79, esox28, jimf. more similar brains like yours work better

by the way im not just a plumber. a lot more qbe than that

Are you ok? You seem to row with everybody here? Do you think it's all us?? There's only one common denominator here and that's you.

Advertisement