Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Scheme posts split from Bus Eireann strike thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Here is a classic

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/70m-paid-yearly-for-free-travel-passes-225487.html
    €70m paid yearly for free travel passes
    Friday, March 15, 2013
    The chairman of the Public Accounts Committee has expressed shock that over €70m is paid out annually for free travel passes based on usage figures from 1973Carlow-Kilkenny TD John McGuinness questioned if funds paid to CIÉ and private firms were good value for taxpayers’ money, as the last survey on those who used passes was carried out four decades ago

Mr McGuinness is afraid the state might be getting ripped off by spending 70million on free travel anywhere in Ireland at any time for upto 1.1 million people.

What planet are these people living on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

SteM wrote: »
    The move I've seen on the 27 is 2 come charging on at the same time. The first one flashes a bit of paper and they both run to the stairs. If the drive calls the second one back the first one passes back the pass really quickly so the driver thinks they both have one. I've seen them do it a bunch of times.

Meanwhile my fares go up and up way out of line with inflation :(

Very true, and I just love catching them. Pass confiscated and fares paid or start walking.

Of course that doesn't really solve the problem as passes are just reissued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

gbob wrote: »
    Many years ago I was operating a service through a small town in west when a man who appeared to be in his seventies put his hand out at the approaching bus. He climbed on board and showed his free pass and stated his destination, I thanked him and waited for him to take his seat. He remained standing in front of me looking very confused and hesitantly asked "do I not need a ticket", I told him all he had to do was present the pass when boarding and that was his ticket. "Oh thank you" he said and continued "I only just got this and didn't know what to do, it's my first time using it, in fact it's my first time ever on a bus, and d'ya know, it's my first time leaving this town".

If there's one thing this facility gives, it's the ability to give an old man some independence.

So when we debate the need of such a thing and the price we pay for it, remember, some people get a real genuine benefit from it.

That was the spirit and the reason for free travel being introduced in the first place.
    When it comes to these threads it's always about what it costs and not the benefits it brings. The Free Travel Pass could be the difference between somebody being able to live their life independently and ending up in an institution. There are plenty more wastes of public money to be tackled before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And unfortunately the distinguishing colour bands have been removed because oaps claimed it was contrary to their cicvil liberties to be identified as an oap.

The absolute shambles which the Free Travel Scheme has been allowed to become can be deduced in part from the "Coloured Bands" issue itself.

The original identifiers on the Corn Flakes Box style Free Travel Pass were not alone simple,but also of some assistance to Drivers attempting to perform their duties effectively.

Blue Band was for Holders over 66 Years of age for time limited travel.

Buff Band was for Disability Benefit recipients,non age specific also Time limited travel.

Red Band was for Unlimited Travel,no restrictions.

To each of these could be added a Green Band,which signified Companion Status.

It can be appreciated,particularly by anybody familiar with access control,that under the old system anybody under 66 attempting to fraudently use a Pass belonging to a Pensioner would stand a far greater chance of a Busdriver noticing the discrepancy,as I did on many many occasions.

However,following Seamus Brennans decision to abolish the Time Restriction,then (then) Department of Social Protection decided that since all Free Travel was now unrestricted,all newly issued Free Passes would therefore be Red Band.

This single decision,taken by a faceless Civil Servant immediately ended the simplest method of checking Free Pass usage and validity.

The position on the new Public Services Card is even worse....

Currently,although each card will have the relevant details encoded on its "Chip",the DSP maintain that it may be used in "Flash Pass " mode,as with the Corn Flakes Box today.

Interestingly,the image used by DoubleTrouble,features an Expiry Date,which one would imagine to be a standard feature of any such card,however,in other images used in Publicity Material,the Expiry Date is replaced by the PPS Number and a Signature.

It is my firm belief that all Free Travel Passes must have an expiry date,if only to allow for the simplest housekeeping to be performed on the system.

The initial hopes that the DSP would embrace LeapCard as it's Free Travel application persisted right up to the launch,with the DSP only deciding to plump for it's own specific version of the PS Card at a late stage.

It is unlikely that the DSP has the resources necesssary to embark on any meaningful roll-out of the PS Card apart from the 200 per week target currently set for DSP Area Offices.

This raises the spectre of an even more chaotic situation developing as old and new are forced to co-exist for several years.

The concerns of posters that we are overlooking the great Social Benefits of the Free Travel Scheme,particularly for the elderly,are of course,a given...However,few appear to be concerned that these elderly represent less than half of the legitimate user base,yet will for sure,feel the loss greatest when the edifice collapses under the weight of mismanagement,or non-management.

I would again recommend a read of the 2000 TCD Study in the "Free Schemes" with Free Travel being covered from page 43.

http://www.tcd.ie/policy-institute/assets/pdf/BP5_Quinn_Free_Schemes.pdf

It is sobering to note that the warning signs were being clearly flagged 13 years ago,but nobody appeared interested...

For example on Page 32.
    "It is difficult to accurately assess the number of people in receipt of Free Travel,as the figures relate only to the number of Passes issued,and do not take account of the low number of Passes returned when recipients die or cease to qualify.In addition,a certain number of passes are re-issued annually due to loss,this figure amounting to almost 15,000 in 1998."

Follwed by,on page 71...
    "However,it was never the case that Free Travel would be supplied "free" by CIE.Payment was originally made on a full fares forgone basis,but as the cost of the scheme increased a discount of 40% was negotiated with CIE in 1969.This discount was negotiated by "Hard Bargaining" and not on any calculated format based on spare capacity or off-peak usage."

With the study being based on the 1998 total of 533,000 Pass Holders at a total cost of IR£32.6 Million we can see that things have not improved in the past 13 years ....Is anybody even interested anymore ??? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to figures posted this year roughly around 300,000 passes had been issued in total ,
    Love to see the actual facts surrounding 1.1 million passes with links to the info ,
    This is one of the problems with the whole issue
    Various figures thrown around ,there saying its costing the government 60+ million a year,
    Using the figures 1.1 million passes that only works out at 1 bus trip a week for a year for each pass holder give or take ,
    it doesn't actually sound as bad does it ,
    Something doesn't sound right at all with all the uproar for instance is there any way the transport companies could be audited to prove there figures there asking payments aren't been over inflated ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Just to add about the red band passes.
    Some are issued with the status of pass holder only.
    While others are issued with the status of with spouse or partner permitted to travel.
    Yet there is no way of telling which is which unless you physically take it off the person to read it as the writing is so small.
    Hence the all too familiar scenerio of he's with me bud!!
    Because you can't tell the difference by just glancing at the pass.
    Also in this P.C world you can't say there's no f***ing way that's your partner or spouse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That is just Irish rails way of artificially inflating passenger numbers. They give all sw pass holders return tickets unless they ask for a single. You should be getting the return from Carlow and you are only doing two journeys but on their books you are down for three.

Are you accusing Irish Rail of fraud Foggy?

Gatling wrote: »
    According to figures posted this year roughly around 300,000 passes had been issued in total ,
    Love to see the actual facts surrounding 1.1 million passes with links to the info ,
    This is one of the problems with the whole issue
    Various figures thrown around ,there saying its costing the government 60+ million a year,
    Using the figures 1.1 million passes that only works out at 1 bus trip a week for a year for each pass holder give or take ,
    it doesn't actually sound as bad does it ,
    Something doesn't sound right at all with all the uproar for instance is there any way the transport companies could be audited to prove there figures there asking payments aren't been over inflated ,

Hi Gatling.

Just to clear up some misunderstandings here.

The most recent statistics from the Dept of Social Protection are in its Annual Report for 2011.

The totals can be found on page 111.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/2011stats.pdf

The total number of Passholders was 726,412.

The total Number of Passholders of Pensionable Age was 346,769

The figure of 1.1 Million,as given to the Dáil Public Accounts Committee by the DSP's Secretary General,Niamh O'Donoghue,is an estimate of the total number of persons covered when Spousal/Partner/Companion cover is included.

I understand that an interim figure for 2012 of 740,000 Passholders was recently given to the Dáil but I cannot presently locate a link.

Since not every Free Pass Holder has the same entitlement,the total figure is not merely double the number of Passholders,but the Sec Gen did say she was confident that 1.1 Million was an accurate figure ;) .

As for Audits,it is abundantly clear that for decades the Free Travel Scheme has been operated along the most incredibly loose lines,with little or no attempt to carry out Audits or Analyses of any of its aspects.

Again,I would refer those interested to the last independent study from 2000,which whilst totally out of date statistically speaking,is still very relevant in every other way.

http://www.tcd.ie/policy-institute/assets/pdf/BP5_Quinn_Free_Schemes.pdf

Page 77 for example, refers to Scheme Controls....
    Department officials conduct unannounced surveys of usage to review the accuracy of claims made.Evidence from these surveys indicates that there is potential for excess claims.For example,surveys carried out on 4 randomly selected companies resulted in savings of over IR£140,000 to the Department.

Further on,the report states...
    A CIE survey carried out by it's Inspectors in 1995 on Dublin Bus found that approximately 8% of the 500 Free Passes checked were fraudulent

The report further identified several reasons contributing to the overall fraudulent use of Free Passes,notably...
    * Because the Free Travel Scheme is administrative,with no statutory basis,the Department has no legislative grounds on which to prosecute offenders who use invalid or forged Free Passes,therefore there is little or no actual deterrent.

* There is no expiry date on Free Passes,they are generally issued for life.More than 17,000 Social Welfare pensioners over the age of 66 died in 1998 alone.In addition more than 11% of surveyed respondents stated that they had lost their Free Travel Pass on one or more occasions.A number of these Free Passes could still be in circulation due to the inadequacy of the Departments recall procedures when a person dies or ceases to qualify.

* There is no proper identification on many Free Passes.Photo ID passes exist only in the Urban Centres.The survey indicated that only 47% of respondents have a photo-ID pass.

As you can see Gatling,for the past 13 years at least,this National Scheme has simply existed,with nobody having responsibility for it,nobody being interested in it,and most assuredly,nobody prepared to admit that it was unsustainable if not brought under control PDQ.

Is it any wonder we are now at this point ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Thanks for the info Alex ,

I'm pro change on the pass system id love to see it abolished over night and totally replaced with a new system with stipulation's on who's actually entitled to one ,rather than the situation we currently have this comes from a pass holder ,

Had a discussion before with some serious tech geeks one of the idea's suggested was use thumb scanners to replace the passes that way they couldn't be copied or forged or misused down side the cost of implementation of such a system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Just to add about the red band passes.
    Some are issued with the status of pass holder only.
    While others are issued with the status of with spouse or partner permitted to travel.
    Yet there is no way of telling which is which unless you physically take it off the person to read it as the writing is so small.
    Hence the all too familiar scenerio of he's with me bud!!
    Because you can't tell the difference by just glancing at the pass.
    Also in this P.C world you can't say there's no f***ing way that's your partner or spouse!!

The spouse/partner pass must have the name of the spouse/partner printed on it and must also be signed on the back by said spouse or partner.

• Advertisement

The spouse/partner pass must have the name of the spouse/partner printed on it and must also be signed on the back by said spouse or partner.

Ive seen a few of them and i havent seen a partner's name on one. I'll look out for it the next time i come across one.

Don't think so Foggy!!
    I checked out the father in laws when he got it legit (66) .
    nothing printed on it except the words partner or spouse.
    He wasn't even asked for i.d. when he went in to get his photo taken.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Don't think so Foggy!!
    I checked out the father in laws when he got it legit (66) .
    nothing printed on it except the words partner or spouse.
    He wasn't even asked for i.d. when he went in to get his photo taken.

Its printed on the inside that partner/ spouse must also sign the pass,

No so Foggy,the only name printed on the document is the Passholders.

The only requirement to validate the Spouse/Partner entitlement is the signature of that person on the Inside of the document.

It is,in my experience very rare to find a married couple or partnership where the "entitled other" has signed the document.

It actually covers the following if your entitled have a partner on your pass

With/without spouse/civil partner/cohabitant

Gatling wrote: »
    It actually covers the following if your entitled have a partner on your pass

With/without spouse/civil partner/cohabitant

I know that!! But there is no way of knowing unless you impersonate a U.S.A.
    Immigration officer.!!

AlekSmart wrote: »
    No so Foggy,the only name printed on the document is the Passholders.

The only requirement to validate the Spouse/Partner entitlement is the signature of that person on the Inside of the document.

It is,in my experience very rare to find a married couple or partnership where the "entitled other" has signed the document.

Quite correct, spouse is not named and may be refused travel if it isn't signed by them.

Which usually results in them signing it in front of driver. I'm regularly surprised by how many are not signed by either pass holder or spouse, it's the reason I carry a spare pen.

Quite correct, spouse is not named and may be refused travel if it isn't signed by them.

Which usually results in them signing it in front of driver. I'm regularly surprised by how many are not signed by either pass holder or spouse, it's the reason I carry a spare pen.

That reminds me actually :O

Alek it all comes down to the fact thay when some people get something new they will use it immediately just after throwing out the box and instructions while others will spend a day reading those instructions before making sure they are ready to go. Reminds me of my nieces and their mobile phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

That is just Irish rails way of artificially inflating passenger numbers. They give all sw pass holders return tickets unless they ask for a single. You should be getting the return from Carlow and you are only doing two journeys but on their books you are down for three.

When my MIL goes on the train, she only is allowed get singles unless she states otherwise, but I have to say. I have never seen a station as strict as Ennis for ID's be it for a pre-ordered ticket, the travel pass or even the time train you are on. Fair dues to them...... until they made it so there is no one at the desk and now most train times there's not even a person to check tickets. It is getting to be a free travel route to Limerick. The other day people were actually shocked there was someone checking tickets. SEVEN fare evaders on one train. Insane they were clearly getting away with it for ages.
    I think tighter regulation of the passes and means testing would be the way forward. The majority of people travelling on Galway trains are OAP's out for the day or weekend/mid week breaks. If there was a fee introduced they'd only feck off somewhere else or just get them to pay perhaps a very nominal fee. I get the train in from Athenry to Galway everyday and it is always packed out with the blue rinse brigade

My MIL and her friends drive to Ennis and literally choose which train suits them, Limerick or Galway and go shopping/just get out for a while. Or if they get up early, it's Dublin or Cork. At rush hour times, and getting indignant when they are not able to get a seat or are told move from pre-booked:rolleyes:

The 10:20 train from Cork to Dublin is rarely full of pre-booked seats, but by Christ is it some job to get a seat on it. I was on the platform at Limerick Junction the other day. Each carriage had between 30 (carriages C and D) to a mere 10 (carriage E) pre booked seats in each, but there was hardly a empty seat and it went all the way to F. And the vast majority are older people of OAP age. As I said already, a 5e fee per person, it would be some increase in revenue. Most unemployed people are on less than a pension (well I am on less that my MIL anyway) and still have to pay to travel. If I can afford e25 for a ticket when needed, they can afford e5.

Also I thought you had to have a white little plastic Travel Pass card with ID photos on it with the paper pass. On the trains I have seen people being pulled a side and told the paper pass alone was not sufficient and there are many occasions I can recall the revenue protection lads ringing the station about it and trying to get them verified.

I think IE are doing everything in their power to prevent fraud and I would like to see DB and BE drivers do the same. Though a few times I have seen DB drivers not taking BS and radioing in warnings to the station that there is a person dressed like such and such on the X road trying to use a fake pass, so some really are making an effort!!!

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »

As I said already, a 5e fee per person, it would be some increase in revenue. Most unemployed people are on less than a pension (well I am on less that my MIL anyway) and still have to pay to travel. If I can afford e25 for a ticket when needed, they can afford e5.

Also I thought you had to have a white little plastic Travel Pass card with ID photos on it with the paper pass. On the trains I have seen people being pulled a side and told the paper pass alone was not sufficient and there are many occasions I can recall the revenue protection lads ringing the station about it and trying to get them verified.

I think IE are doing everything in their power to prevent fraud and I would like to see DB and BE drivers do the same. Though a few times I have seen DB drivers not taking BS and radioing in warnings to the station that there is a person dressed like such and such on the X road trying to use a fake pass, so some really are making an effort!!!

As explained before,The DSP operate a mind-bogglingly arcane ID system which States that only Passholders resident in specific "Urban Areas" (Dublin,Cork City,Galway City,Waterford City and Limerick City...note that these specfically refer to "City" with the execption of Dublin.) require a Photo-ID card,all others verify by signature.

As to gbob's point re the signature verification....

Whilst this may be possible on long dwell single point boarding services,it is a nightmare on BAC routes.

Generally,the "chancers" will have their Free Travel Document well wrapped and usually with specific areas obscured in a number of ways.

The Free Pass cardboard element (The Corn Flakes Box) tends to be well washed,sometimes quite obviously far more than the holder,but if it is removed from whatever Plastic Covering remains,sometimes the original details will have transferred to the plastic.

I have detected several individuals travelling on passes belonging to the opposite sex in this manner,HOWEVER..to do this will cause significant and unwanted delays for those of my customers who HAVE paid a fare and are entitled to as fast a journey as possible.

The "chancers" are well aware of this situation and play to this flaw with the result that it is essentially a free-for-all on BAC services.

On the occasions when I have required a signature I have usually been told that the individual cannot write (but can subsequently sit down an text merrily away) and can only make an X.

So,there you have it...a remarkable scheme indeed,one which was innovative,Socially Mould Breaking and far ahead of its time back in 1967.

However,in keeping with how we run our Country,our Administrators did'nt really appreciate what they had devised,and as with LeapCard 36 years later,they simply throw the thing out there and hope it'll be alright.

Will heads roll.....will they fcuxx !!! :(

wolfpawnat wrote: »

!
    This has been answered numerous times, ID is only required from certain departure points.
    On the fraud detection angle, IR detects fraud because it uses ticket inspectors on inter-city, DB and BE have ticket inspectors too but for reasons best known to management, rarely choose to use them. It is also rare to see Inspectors on Commuter services., certainly on Dublin-Wexford line anyway.
    The reason people can get away with fare evasion is because it's made easy for them.

bmaxi wrote: »
    This has been answered numerous times, ID is only required from certain departure points.
    On the fraud detection angle, IR detects fraud because it uses ticket inspectors on inter-city, DB and BE have ticket inspectors too but for reasons best known to management, rarely choose to use them. It is also rare to see Inspectors on Commuter services., certainly on Dublin-Wexford line anyway.
    The reason people can get away with fare evasion is because it's made easy for them.

Bmaxi,the ID requirement is determined by the address of the Passsholder,not their departure point.

Thus a Passholder resident in Limerick County,does not require a photo-ID to travel on Limerick City Services,but a Limerick City dweller requires Photo-ID to travel to/in Limerick City & County or anywhere else.

Bizzarre....Unworkable...you bet it is,but it was thus 40 years ago and has simply been left to fester.

But I suspect you are correct regarding the Checking issue,as it is not in the States interest to be causing unrest within a substantial number of a certain demographic.

The small-scale study from 1995 indicated an 8% fraudulent useage figure based upon 500 sampled.

Extrapolating this to today's scheme,should widespread checking now begin,we could be looking at a significant number of very angry people,not all of whom would be OAP's.

So,it may well suit The State to keep the masses in "Beer n Crisps" if it keeps them away from the gates of Leinster House ?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bmaxi,the ID requirement is determined by the address of the Passsholder,not their departure point.

Thus a Passholder resident in Limerick County,does not require a photo-ID to travel on Limerick City Services,but a Limerick City dweller requires Photo-ID to travel to/in Limerick City & County or anywhere else.

OK, I know what I meant but I suppose I could have made it clearer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

cdebru wrote: »
    Well it is hard to imagine any private company prepared to accept 1.1 million adults with completely free travel for 60 euro each a year in total.
    The kildarestreet link in your post #674 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84653341&postcount=674) says
    " In 2013, the PSO subvention will be €226.5 million, as compared with €242 million originally allocated for 2012."
    So what is this 60 euro per year that you keep repeating?
    Fare paying passengers and indeed the employees are being asked to subsidise the free travel of 1.1 million adults.
    It means a never ending cycle of fare increases and wage cuts so that other people can enjoy the network completely free.

It looks like €200 paid by the government for people who are supposed to be on low income, most of whom do not use Bus Eireann each week.
    Customers have seen prices jump by ~30% over the last 5 years to make up for falling passenger numbers. Driver replacement has been frozen certainly, but there haven't been wage cuts nor a pension levy on Bus Eireann staff.
    Same not a peep out of any of these people that apparently it took a 2 day strike to convince the senior management that they should make a contribution to saving the company. No not a word they just bleet on about a 7 euro meal allowance. Not a word about executives out for lunch on the company credit card and spending a lot more than 7 euro.
    Bus Eireann paying customers "bleet" about drivers leaving them without a route to work at short notice, without a clear notion of what the Unions want to achieve.

If the union are mollified by the CEO taking a paycut as well, then the 2 day strike was about venting and appearances.
    Even after the strike ended, passenger numbers appeared miniscule for the week (morning buses with 10 passengers instead of 45), so their company has probably lost another half million of revenue, that will be imposed both employees and customers.

ressem wrote: »
    The kildarestreet link in your post #674 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84653341&postcount=674) says
    " In 2013, the PSO subvention will be €226.5 million, as compared with €242 million originally allocated for 2012."
    So what is this 60 euro per year that you keep repeating?

It looks like €200 paid by the government for people who are supposed to be on low income, most of whom do not use Bus Eireann each week.
    Customers have seen prices jump by ~30% over the last 5 years to make up for falling passenger numbers. Driver replacement has been frozen certainly, but there haven't been wage cuts nor a pension levy on Bus Eireann staff.

Bus Eireann paying customers "bleet" about drivers leaving them without a route to work at short notice, without a clear notion of what the Unions want to achieve.

If the union are mollified by the CEO taking a paycut as well, then the 2 day strike was about venting and appearances.
    Even after the strike ended, passenger numbers appeared miniscule for the week (morning buses with 10 passengers instead of 45), so their company has probably lost another half million of revenue, that will be imposed both employees and customers.

The PSO is the public service obligation that is a payment for providing services that are not commercially viable. It is completely seperate from the free travel which is paid from the dept of social protection. The government is supposed to pay 60% of the cost of the free travel, so that is 1.1 million people €5340 for a CIE all services annual ticket by 60% is roughly 3.5 billion a year. Even allowing for the 5340 is higher than it would be if the government was paying a fair rate for the free travel. If the government was paying even 30% of what they owe there would be no need for any subvention or fare rises or strikes over pay.
    The 60 million is what the government actually pays CIE for free unlimited travel for 1.1 million adults which is about 60 euro per person. A long way short of what the normal fare paying passenger who pays 5340 euro for the same thing.
    No other company would agree or could sustain 35% of the population being able to use their services for a payment equivalent to 2% of the normal price.
    So if 35% are not paying that means the other 65% are asked to pay more.

Of course mention of the all services card is nonsense and a useless comparison because it works from the assumption that all pass holders use their pass several times a day and on all modes of transport going between intercity and commuting and city services on both bus and rail.

Most pass holders might use theirs once a day or a few times weekly for things like going shopping and collecting their pension and going to mass.

Of course mention of the all services card is nonsense and a useless comparison because it works from the assumption that all pass holders use their pass several times a day and on all modes of transport going between intercity and commuting and city services on both bus and rail.

Most pass holders might use theirs once a day or a few times weekly for things like going shopping and collecting their pension and going to mass.

I would say some instead of most Foggy.

Really not fair to generalise on passholder use, I know some that use the pass upto 8 times a day and others maybe once or twice a month.

• Advertisement

It is the only comparison available they have an all services ticket the cost of one of those is €5340 a year. Even if you just count one service an annual DB ticket it is 1120 or an annual irish rail ticket 4040 Bus eireann cork city services 780. They are all multiples of what the government is paying for the service.
    There is a reason why the government is using 1973 figures because they dont want to go next to near this whole thing. A survey on todays usage would show the actual cost, and they might have to actually pay for it.
    Do you think GPs would take this for the medical card? Not a hope that is why the government don't hand out medical cards with no expiry date. That is why you have to keep reapplying for one.

Most free travel pass holders are not pensioners they are active people of working age, in fact drivers here can confirm they regularly carry people going to work and coming home from work on the free travel pass.Remember it never expires.

Advertisement