Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just seen a strange case of blatant racism on the bus home!

Options
  • 18-05-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar encounter with open racism in front of everyone.

On the bus coming home yesterday evening, I was waiting to get off and I was queuing behind a couple that spoke with Southern African accents, one of them chats to the driver about there travel around Europe.

Then drops this bombshell "Yeah I like Ireland, not too many black people eh?"
    I was really shocked that he said it, so to was the driver who spoke how great black people like Phil Lynott were in reply to him. Then the backpacker said "well I don't like em".

It happened so quickly in a bus full of people, he wasn't joking, he was serious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm not saying every white South African is racist, but the few I have met were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd have asked them have they met every black person in the world, and if not, how can they judge all black people as one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Offer them a bottle of piss. Tell them its a local drink made by arian white only Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Racist South Africans, well I never. Used to work with a good few, they were all racist just some hid it better than most. Ireland is also full of Irish racists, some hide it better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They are south african OP.

What did you expext from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ah afrikaaners aint the worst, they just lack a filter between their brain and mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ah afrikaaners aint the worst, they just lack a filter between their brain and mouth.

In fairness, that's a fairly racist comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Oh good, a racism thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

In my experience living and working with South Africans they are the most racist bunch I have ever come across.

johnayo wrote: »

Racist? How?

I prefer the term ethnic criticism bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He'd have had a nervous breakdown on the Ongar bus!.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

But the South African was dead right!

There isnt as many black people as compared to other races :D But there are plenty, you just gotta look real close at passing cars

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.ENGSTUDENT

mfceiling wrote: »

I expected them to be normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I like Ireland too. There's not that many white South Africans here.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

fair play to that bus driver for not just shrugging it off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

johnayo wrote: »

Its their opinion

If they said they didnt like corkoians(sp) would you say the same? Or they said i dont like red cars

Its just someones opinion

Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Syllabus wrote: »
    Its their opinion

If they said they didnt like corkoians(sp) would you say the same? Or they said i dont like red cars

Its just someones opinion

Imo

If your opinion is to criticise/judge an entire race or ethnicity on the basis of the few that you've met, then you're a racist surely?

You can't just throw "IMO" on the end of something to make it ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    If you're opinion is to criticise/judge an entire race or ethnicity on the basis of the few that you've met, then you're a racist surely?

You can't just throw "IMO" on the end of something to make it ok.

I never said he wasnt rascist

And yes i can

Syllabus wrote: »
    I never said he wasnt rascist

And yes i can

Eh, Im just gonna jump in here, to confirm im not a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

mfceiling wrote: »

Hillarious irony

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

Eim frum Sud Afrika und I like it hear cuz there ain't too many blicks abuat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

One of the nicest people I know is a white girl who was born and raised in South Africa, her parents are both Irish though.

Even she says the most racist people she knows are Afrikaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

If you were from SA you'd probably be a bit racist too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.
    But you're blik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

While I don't condone racism, its very easy for us here in ireland to criticise such a mentality without having an appreciation for how things are at the moment over in South Africa, and indeed the likes of Zimbabwe. Relative to South Africa, we have zero experience of racism or racial divides in this country, so we can't relate

Again, I'm not condoning the mentality, however people need to understand that South Africa is a dangerous place, and its very easy to see how these attitudes are nurtured among the middle class, in otherwise decent, rational people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.
    I'd give it to Patsy Kensit, not sure about the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Ah Jesus, the bus driver shouldn't even have entertained them tbh. They were hardly going to change life-long held views on the whim of a 30 second exchange of words with a Dublin bus driver!

Sure I was at a party last week the only white guy among a crowd of about 100 black people (my friend is black and it was her son's communion, but tbf what I consider a "small get together of family and friends" and what she considers a small get together of family and friends, are vastly different concepts! :D), but a couple of the lads were gathered around the barbecue and the chap was turning the lamb chunks with his fingers, then dipping his fingers in water to cool them.

I goes to him "Jesus man have you no tongs?"

I nearly pissed myself laughing when he replied "Tongs are for white people!"

Racist bastard! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar encounter with open racism in front of everyone.

On the bus coming home yesterday evening, I was waiting to get off and I was queuing behind a couple that spoke with Southern African accents, one of them chats to the driver about there travel around Europe.

Then drops this bombshell "Yeah I like Ireland, not too many black people eh?"
    I was really shocked that he said it, so to was the driver who spoke how great black people like Phil Lynott were in reply to him. Then the backpacker said "well I don't like em".

It happened so quickly in a bus full of people, he wasn't joking, he was serious.

I heard something similar when I was on the bus a a few weeks ago, a black guy talking about how much he hated arabs and how theyre pure evil or something lol

Advertisement