Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm looking forward to the return of Eoin, Murph and Ken, not so much the other guy, could they get rid of him maybe? A new producer and a new beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

No sound on Sky tonight. Also, time to update the show's title on Sky - it's still 'Off The Ball with Eoin McDevitt'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Aidric wrote: »
    Btw for any of you guys on twitter, aside from the official group twitter handle @The2ndCaptains

Always thought that 2ndCaptains thing was a bit stupid and abstract... I loved Off The Ball as it was, but I think the long break between shows may make it a lot more difficult for Early, McDevitt etc etc to hold their audience... Ger, Joe (whoever the fk he is) and Colm Parkinson are quickly getting the hang of things in the intervening period, and getting the show back to where it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

No sound on Sky tonight. Also, time to update the show's title on Sky - it's still 'Off The Ball with Eoin McDevitt'

The picture on the podcast and on the stream is still McDevitt too. When he was fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

Always thought that 2ndCaptains thing was a bit stupid and abstract... I loved Off The Ball as it was, but I think the long break between shows may make it a lot more difficult for Early, McDevitt etc etc to hold their audience... Ger, Joe (whoever the fk he is) and Colm Parkinson are quickly getting the hang of things in the intervening period, and getting the show back to where it was...

I have to say I think the show has not had the same dynamic since the guys left and I find it very difficult to warm to the new team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I have listened to it a few times recently, and tried to give an objective appraisal. It is just alright. Adequate rather than unmissible.

Gilroy is never going to be as good an Anchor as McDevitt. The new team have developed their own style and it's still better than most things on Television at 7pm, but it's not as good as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Would have to say the show for me just isn't the same, while ger and co are doing well , it's just missing something. I actually don't mid wolly, think he is funny in ways and mostly agree with his opinions on gaa players/teams.
    Mcdevitt is missed more than most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Anyone know what time the announcement will be at today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

JJ10 wrote: »
    I have to say I think the show has not had the same dynamic since the guys left and I find it very difficult to warm to the new team.

interesting first post. i wonder which of the 2nd captains (or relatives of) you are?!

I actually don't know about the 2nd captains bit. Can you explain it? I hadn't heard the show for a while leading up to the switch of the presenting teams.

I think it's a fair first post to have and it's a bit skeptical to think that really. I have to start posting somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I actually don't know about the 2nd captains bit. Can you explain it? I hadn't heard the show for a while leading up to the switch of the presenting teams.

I think it's a fair first post to have and it's a bit skeptical to think that really. I have to start posting somewhere.

A lot of rubbish posted on here. Best to ignore that shíte or report it to the mods.

Thanks Deedsie,

Are Eoin and Ken + Friends doing a new show then?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭styron

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Bit underwhelming tbh.

Second Captains, the artists formally known as the Off the Ball 5, will make their return to the airwaves from next week in a series of shows in partnership with The Irish Times.
    The multi-award winning team of Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan – who parted company with Newstalk two months ago having presented the Off the Ball show for a number of years – return to broadcasting as Second Captains @ The Irish Times.
    Second Captains @ The Irish Times will be free to stream and podcast worldwide every Tuesday on irishtimes.com.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains-return-to-the-airwaves-on-irishtimes-com-1.1384956

Meh - what happened to the RTE rumours?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Try to keep an eye on the "accusing people of being presenters" please folks. It is against the charter

thanks
    Splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Skid X wrote: »
    Second Captains, the artists formally known as the Off the Ball 5, will make their return to the airwaves from next week in a series of shows in partnership with The Irish Times.
    The multi-award winning team of Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan – who parted company with Newstalk two months ago having presented the Off the Ball show for a number of years – return to broadcasting as Second Captains @ The Irish Times.
    Second Captains @ The Irish Times will be free to stream and podcast worldwide every Tuesday on irishtimes.com.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains-return-to-the-airwaves-on-irishtimes-com-1.1384956

Meh - what happened to the RTE rumours?

This is less than satisfactory, while it'll be great to hear the guys again a series of podcasts wont satisfy the majority of the SecondCaptains fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

SecondCaptains twitter account is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

'This month, the only place to hear the Second Captains is with irishtimes.com'

Does this mean they will be going somewhere else after?

It came from a nonsensical comment by Steve Staunton during an interview "We're all second captains. Second captain, first captain, whatever" which they regularly played during the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

imo this is how radio will develop over the next few years. More and more stereo's (especially in cars) will be able to pick up live streams of shows where/when they want and the days of fm are dwindling.

If the lads can produce several good podcasts with the Irish Times, while showing they can get the DLoad numbers, then they can setup an independent podcast and add sponsors to the show. Not quite sure how these sponsors will put bread on the table for them all, but they'll remain in total editorial control over the show.

styron wrote: »

Sounds more like webcasting to me.

I'd say they had their sights set a little higher.

Steve Staunton the legend. He came out with some serious nuggets!

Thanks for the news updates guys. Appreciate it.

This podcast series will put a lot of pressure on them to show their popularity I think and could be very important factor in their next move/deal

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains
    Second Captains ‏@SecondCaptains 17m
    Thank god we're able to start broadcasting as Second Captains @ The Irish Times before E McDevitt shrinks even more http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains-return-to-the-airwaves-on-irishtimes-com-1.1384956

It's there again now, I think they altered the name slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Cazale wrote: »
    'This month, the only place to hear the Second Captains is with irishtimes.com'

Does this mean they will be going somewhere else after?

No. I think this confirms that the OTB 5 took a gamble leaving newstalk and its not paid off. For an award winning quintet to be reduced to a once weekly podcast with a newspaper is deeply disappointing. There are no winners here. Newstalk have been left with a poor man's off the ball relation and the OTB 5 left with the scraps at a time when money in the sector is tighter than ever. If the OTB 5 thought they would get another gig on radio as a unit they will surely realise now that thats unlikely. Part of me thought they were being very clever when they left Newstalk, it seems not. Its a real shame I found OTB to be the best show on radio in the country. I will listen to the podcast but it'll only remind me of what we're missing 5 nights a week on the radio.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    No its not.

Okay it was down for a few minutes. I was getting the message "sorry that page doesn't exist". I had been refreshing it all morning waiting for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

heybaby wrote: »
    No. I think this confirms that the OTB 5 took a gamble leaving newstalk and its not paid off. For an award winning quintet to be reduced to a once weekly podcast with a newspaper is deeply disappointing. There are no winners here. Newstalk have been left with a poor man's off the ball relation and the OTB 5 left with the scraps at a time when money in the sector is tighter than ever. If the OTB 5 thought they would get another gig on radio as a unit they will surely realise now that thats unlikely. Part of me thought they were being very clever when they left Newstalk, it seems not. Its a real shame I found OTB to be the best show on radio in the country. I will listen to the podcast but it'll only remind me of what we're missing 5 nights a week on the radio.

Hard to disagree with any of that. They have been out of action for 8 weeks and the best they could come up with in that time is a podcast for an hour a week.

You'd nearly be aswell setting up a youtube channel and uploading videos which would be more accessible.

I wonder is the Podcast/Stream going to be an occasional side project for the lads, to keep the 'Second Captains' team together in a nominal form? It would save face for them after their promises that they would all be back together on air soon.

It would leave them all free to pursue their own personal careers, they would be more attractive to Broadcasters individually. It was always going to be a push for a serious Media Organisation to take on a team of five, who left their last gig after demanding unrealistic schedule changes, especially in the current Economic Climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

heybaby wrote: »
    No. I think this confirms that the OTB 5 took a gamble leaving newstalk and its not paid off. .

I thought they were fired?

Am I wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement