Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

JJ10 wrote: »
    any time i see Ken on TV or in a paper I'm still shocked that he looks nothing like I had imagined him to be like. The segment is sooo out of place on Vinny B show

Agreed. He just shouldn't be on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Chris 80 wrote: »
    Agreed. He just shouldn't be on TV.

I thought he was pretty good really. Would be nice to have a section like that for the big big sports stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

First I've heard of the podcast, will be great to have the lads back...ish! Pity its a podcast and not a fully blown radio show. I'd have thought RTE would have snapped these lads up. But RTE being run by RTE they wouldn't know a good thing if it was staring them in the face. Best of luck to Burley and McDevitt, hope it leads to something bigger for those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Expunge

FearDark wrote: »
    But RTE being run by RTE they wouldn't know a good thing if it was staring them in the face.QUOTE]

What... RTE wouldn't want to hire a bunch of trouble makers who will end up dictating the schedule on their whims?

I would have thought RTE had enough of those.

In many ways, RTE is a pile of steaming excrement, but in this case the managers know trouble when they see it.

In a time of reducing staff numbers, the possibility of taking on 5 extra staff or contrators would seem remote.

Expunge wrote: »

What... RTE wouldn't want to hire a bunch of trouble makers who will end up dictating the schedule on their whims?

In many ways, RTE is a pile of steaming excrement, but in this case the managers know trouble when they see it.

In a time of reducing staff numbers, the possibility of taking on 5 extra staff or contrators would seem remote.

8 posts, 5 of which have just focused on vilifying the Off the ball lads. Agenda much? You don't know what conditions were going on when they left, you don't know what they will end up doing in the future.

Hopefully they will get another national radio gig, and your hideous glee at their "downfall" will be proven incorrect.

All any of us know is they left as they felt the show couldn't develop further in its current format. How is it a bad thing that they want to explore new approaches to sports broadcasting in Ireland?

I really hope it works out for them, if not what harm. They provided great entertainment, great in depth coverage to all the main sports that are of interest to the average Irish sports enthusiast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bloody trouble makers

*shakes fist*

Yes indeedsie, deedsie, 5 posts. Gotta start somewhere.
    Vilifying the OTB 5? Nah. That's not the intention.

I have observed this thread for some time and I have listened to and enjoyed OTB for many years.

I am merely trying to provide some realism to the
    'Daddy is coming back! I know he is! He just went to the shop to get sugar five years ago. Lah Lah Lah...I can't hear you!!!!'
    view which seems to me to be quite prevalent here and elsewhere.

It's true to say I know no more than anyone else on here and I have said that in previous posts.
    I'm just trying to point out where they are today - without a gig... because of a sharp disagreement with the owners and managers of the national station they worked on.
    They ended up being fired and are now doing a once a week podcast. Even Alan Partidge ended up on North Norfolk Digital Radio!

And as for this 'couldn't develop the show anymore in it's current format' malarky, who gives a shoite?
    The loyal band of listeners didn't and now it's ****ing gone.
    Just turn up and do your job as best you can consistently, which is what they did, and hope for the best. That's what the rest of us have to do in any and every walk of life.

This whole business is fascinating to me. I don't work in the business of radio but the lesson to me is the same. Yes, by all means be ambitious, but don't overplay your hand, don't be an arrogant ass.
    It seems to me (to me) that this is what happened here.

That's where it lies today. And of course tomorrow is another day.
    I wish them good luck in the future.

What a hater. I can see you there at your keyboard reveling in the OTB 5's "demise". You assume an awful lot, you don't know what happened between them and Newstalk managment, nor do I.

Just turn up and do your job as best you can consistently, which is what they did, and hope for the best. That's what the rest of us have to do in any and every walk of life.

Yes, lets all trudge along. Isn't wanting change the thing that separates good people from great people? All hail the OTB 5. Praise be unto thee.

Why did you put "demise" in quotes, feardark?
    I never used the word.
    Same with the word "downfall", deedsie, never used that one either.

There's no evidence that the listeners wanted change. Those who listened, including myself, loved the product. Alas now, seemingly because of the actions of one or all of the OTB 5, it's gone from national radio 5 nights a week.

I know that many on here are grieving and that anger is one of the stages of the grieving process.
    Anger at me as a percieved 'hater' is not productive.

Anger at the lads who seem to have cut their own throats while striving for 'change' might be more appropriate.

Who is angry?

"demise" in quotation because its from your perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Really? Are you sure the word "Profiler" doesn't mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i just wish the thread would stop talking about what the former presenters are or are not doing

i just wish the thread would stop talking about what the former presenters are or are not doing

This thread is really about them, not Ger & Co. Maybe a mod could change the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

This thread is really about them, not Ger & Co. Maybe a mod could change the title?

or maybe start another thread about them? i tried, but it got moved to the dark world of podcasts, which i fear may be a reflection on their careers

FearDark wrote: »
    Who is angry?

You seem to have some issues about my perspective on things that could be intrepreted as anger, you do seem bothered by it at least.

"demise" in quotation because its from your perspective.[/QUOTE]

So you're quoting me on something you believe to be from my perspective, even though I didn't say it.

Right. A career in journalism awaits, feardark.

Vilifying the OTB 5? Nah. That's not the intention.

I have observed this thread for some time and I have listened to and enjoyed OTB for many years.

I am merely trying to provide some realism to the
    'Daddy is coming back! I know he is! He just went to the shop to get sugar five years ago. Lah Lah Lah...I can't hear you!!!!'
    view which seems to me to be quite prevalent here and elsewhere.

It's true to say I know no more than anyone else on here and I have said that in previous posts.
    I'm just trying to point out where they are today - without a gig... because of a sharp disagreement with the owners and managers of the national station they worked on.
    They ended up being fired and are now doing a once a week podcast. Even Alan Partidge ended up on North Norfolk Digital Radio!

And as for this 'couldn't develop the show anymore in it's current format' malarky, who gives a shoite?
    The loyal band of listeners didn't and now it's ****ing gone.

This whole business is fascinating to me. I don't work in the business of radio but the lesson to me is the same. Yes, by all means be ambitious, but don't overplay your hand, don't be an arrogant ass.
    It seems to me (to me) that this is what happened here.

That's where it lies today. And of course tomorrow is another day.
    I wish them good luck in the future.

That whole post is you reveling in the fact that they are no longer on the airwaves. I don't see how I'm angry but your entitled to your opinion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Folks, if you have issues with another poster, please report it and do not engage in Offtopic posts. If you suspect people are others, please do the same

with regards to the past presenters constantly being brought up, it is something i am investigating and will be updating soon.

yes, ballsymchugh, your thread was moved to Podcasts as it does not concern this topic and it does not concern Radio, as it is, indeed, a podcast.

If people have issues with this, please PM myself and/or the other mods and we can deal with this.

Until then, can we keep this thread on topic and current with the goings on of the OTB. It is not for talking about times gone by, there isn't much we can do about the past, deal with it, and move on.

Splinter

I used "downfall" in an air quotes sense... To highlight the general negativity from certain posters including yourself towards the OTB lads.

It's just a nastiness in your posts I dislike, you make general assumptions about it being all their fault, without any evidence of it. Just speculation. Comments like "puny dicks" of the lads etc its a horrid posting style. And you come across as a real creep.

Your smugness suggests to me you don't wish the lads well in future. I suspect you hunger for them to fail. I'll be listening anyway as will many thousands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

The dogs in the street are saying that those 2 boxers from last night are taking over the breakfast slot on 2FM.

Splinter wrote: »
    Until then, can we keep this thread on topic and current with the goings on of the OTB. It is not for talking about times gone by, there isn't much we can do about the past, deal with it, and move on.

Splinter

You must have missed this deedsie.

• Advertisement

withless wrote: »
    The dogs in the street are saying that those 2 boxers from last night are taking over the breakfast slot on 2FM.

2 boxers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

2 boxers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I don't usually do this, but i'm going to make it nice clear because apparently you're new.

You must have missed this deedsie.

This is not on, If you have issues with how a user is posting, use the report button, I'd suggest you read our charter (I'll link you to it if you want) and then have a nice think about how you post here in future, I've given you a warning to stay on topic but this will go for all users also.

Enough with the direct attacks on other posters,

Splinter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

withless wrote: »

michael conlon and Paddy Barnes are taking over the 2fm breakfast radio slot?

where on earth did you hear that rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

michael conlon and Paddy Barnes are taking over the 2fm breakfast radio slot?

where on earth did you hear that rubbish?

Doesn't Michael Conlon also have one of the thickest nordie accents going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Their first podcast is due up this afternoon sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Their first podcast is due up this afternoon sometime.

2:30 according to their twitter feed. Shall have to move to the podcasts forum to discuss now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think the current OTB team have won the Battle Of Hook's Hour... Parkinson seems to have adopted the self deprecating / humourous role that Murph used to fill.. Ger Gilroy is not quite as entertaining as McDevitt, but he's not far off.. Not mad on any of the ex player squares that they bring in, but Gilroy and Parkinson are good together and that's enough to keep me tuned in.

You'd have to hand it to Gilroy all the same.. He jumped in to host the show when the guys left. Must have been sleeping in NT studios at that stage... But he's kept the show afloat..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think the current OTB team have won the Battle Of Hook's Hour... Parkinson seems to have adopted the self deprecating / humourous role that Murph used to fill.. Ger Gilroy is not quite as entertaining as McDevitt, but he's not far off.. Not mad on any of the ex player squares that they bring in, but Gilroy and Parkinson are good together and that's enough to keep me tuned in.

You'd have to hand it to Gilroy all the same.. He jumped in to host the show when the guys left. Must have been sleeping in NT studios at that stage... But he's kept the show afloat..

It's tipping along fine without establishing itself yet imo. I'm not gone on Parkinson's contributions but I'll give him time. Gilroy & Molloy already had a rapport built from the weekend sports show so they continued that through to OTB.

• Advertisement

I think we will have to see a few JNLR books before deciding who won what battle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement