Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Hundred Years From Now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Brushing teeth the way we do it now. Just brushed mine there and every time I do it, I think "Am in 2013 or feckin' 1813 of wha!:mad:". There really has to be handier way....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I hope within my lifetime we find out the truth about visits from extraterrestrials . It's pretty obvious we've been visited and continue to be.
    Ah feck! They were here not five minutes ago! You just missed them. They just headed out to hook up with Bigfoot, the Tooth fairy, and God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The fact that terminally ill people are left to die slow deaths against their will, but cats and dogs are given peaceful endings when they have no quality of life/chance of recovery anymore.

The fact that women who are raped and become pregnant don't get any say on whether or not they continue the pregnancy, unless they leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Magenta wrote: »
    The fact that terminally ill people are left to die slow deaths against their will, but cats and dogs are given peaceful endings when they have no quality of life/chance of recovery anymore.
    Human life is more valuable then a cats that's why we try to heal them or at least try to extend their life instead of carelessly killing them.

And......

..... another one of 'those' threads.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As time moves on, we realize that what we took for normal was just strange. Less than a hundred years ago, doctors were advising people to use heroin, coca-cola contained trace amounts of cocaine, there were many strange and unusual contraptions that people would use on a regular basis.

One hundred years from now, what will people look back at and wonder, "what the hell were they doing?"?

Using Facebook or Twitter to tell the world their life story kinda like Frank Hovis

Who cares if you just had a **** or had a meal in restaurant X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

As time moves on, we realize that what we took for normal was just strange. Less than a hundred years ago, doctors were advising people to use heroin, coca-cola contained trace amounts of cocaine, there were many strange and unusual contraptions that people would use on a regular basis.

One hundred years from now, what will people look back at and wonder, "what the hell were they doing?"?

People will look back and wonder what the hell were we doing:

- Ignoring all the people in the world who are struggling to survive, rather than trying to make things better for them.

- Wasting so much resources on useless rubbish. (e.g. 1000 euro handbags, 150k cars).

- Not thinking more about our future, disaster planning etc.

You'd hope that we look like a very immature species, to our descendants.

fergalr wrote: »

Oh I don't know. 100 years isn't all that long. If we look back 100 years a lot of stuff seems very familiar. And not all that immature by comparison.

What I'd like to see is religion as a minority pursuit. May need to add a zero though. We cling to silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

There won't be no 100yrs from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

endacl wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. 100 years isn't all that long. If we look back 100 years a lot of stuff seems very familiar. And not all that immature by comparison.

What I'd like to see is religion as a minority pursuit. May need to add a zero though. We cling to silly.

The last 100 hundred years have probably been the most advanced we have
    moved in the last 100,000 years, but lets blame religion because that is the in thing at the moment.

• Advertisement

0066ad wrote: »
    The last 100 hundred years have probably been the most advanced we have
    moved in the last 100,000 years.

True. Theres no 'probably' about it. Yet we're still fundamentally doing the same stuff, and in fundamentally the same way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In 100 years time someone who's great grandparents are not yet born will drag up this thread to see what the hell we were on about and have a good laugh at our predictions.

Then Dr.bollocko will come along and lock it under the "Do not post in really old / zombie threads" rule. :)

True. Theres no 'probably' about it. Yet we're still fundamentally doing the same stuff, and in fundamentally the same way.

True also we fundamentally live and we fundamentally die, but I would would
    much rather live with the things to keep us entertained and amused with
    what we have now.

0066ad wrote: »
    True also we fundamentally live and we fundamentally die, but I would would
    much rather live with the things to keep us entertained and amused with
    what we have now.

Pastimes? I'd hope when you were talking about the technological advancements of the last 100 years you meant more than 'better toys'? Feck. Do Teflon, vacuum cleaners and the welfare state not even get a look-in? Surely we've achieved more than the play station?

Seriously, as a species were still the same basic machine. 100 years is realistically only a couple of generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

*Replies with obligatory anti current government tirade in a bid to win a hape of thanks*

Oh look, it's the freedom of expression police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Physical contact during intercourse!!!

like sandra bollox in demolition man?

Pastimes? I'd hope when you were talking about the technological advancements of the last 100 years you meant more than 'better toys'? Feck. Do Teflon, vacuum cleaners and the welfare state not even get a look-in? Surely we've achieved more than the play station?

Seriously, as a species were still the same basic machine. 100 years is realistically only a couple of generations.

Welfare state wasn't invented in the last 100 years it's always been the best
    interest for a ruler to support his subjects to keep them loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

People will look back and wonder what the hell were we doing:

- Ignoring all the people in the world who are struggling to survive, rather than trying to make things better for them.

- Wasting so much resources on useless rubbish. (e.g. 1000 euro handbags, 150k cars).

- Not thinking more about our future, disaster planning etc.

Doubt any of that will change in 100 years considering it hasn't changed for millenia.

Vacuum cleaners break a branch of tree tie twigs to it more or less the same thing, teflon
    put your meat on a stick and hold it to a fire same thing. This 100 years we have seen
    technology beyond our wildest dreams of people living 100 years ago., computers, the atomic bomb, rocket ship, micro chips and huge advancement in medical science transplants, even growing human organs of animals, cloning, dna, the list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I predict the end of private ownership of cars. And I predict it will happen within 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Justin Bieber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have a hoover board that I could loan you (for a small fee).

Is it a dyson no loss of suction then? Dieting will be a thing of the past in 100 years and all the revenue that exists on the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

• Being against gay marriage, transphobia, etc.
    • Being patriotic
    • Currency exchanges
    • Energy from fossil fuels
    • Commuting to work
    • Antibiotics. I foresee programmed viruses to kill bacteria, viruses and other cellular matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Chances are in 100 years most people under 30 today will still be alive.

Nope. GMO will see to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Magenta wrote: »
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Human life is more valuable then a cats that's why we try to heal them or at least try to extend their life instead of carelessly killing them.

Where did I say anything about carelessly killing anything? It would help if you actually read my post.
    I'm assuming English is not your first language, but really, try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

marriage
    cancer
    bicycles
    richshaws :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Possibly "WTF were they thinking aiming to build intelligent machines". I suspect mobile phones will get a look in on the WTF list. How much sugar were those gobshítes eating? another. You can be sure a few well regarded medical therapies will be thought of as mad Ted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

K-Tel 'Bottle Cutter Kit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Syllabus wrote: »
    Jedward
    Justin Bieber.

Sorry lads :(
    Chances are in 100 years most people under 30 today will still be alive.

Advertisement