Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Hundred Years From Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd say that eating meat daily, or even regularly, will be frowned upon.

That and getting absolutely hammered.

I'd be totally lost, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Chances are in 100 years most people under 30 today will still be alive.

People will have ceased to make ridiculously optimistic forecasts about the future, mainly due to the unfortunate "event" of 2019 which left most of the planet in an uninhabitable state and left the handful of survivors living lives of hunger, fear and insecurity, but which at least were mercifully short ( the lives, not the survivors)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Wibbs wrote: »
    Possibly "WTF were they thinking aiming to build intelligent machines".

Because they'll have realised its not possible to build intelligent machines, or because they'll begrudge their robot overlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Oh, nearly forgot , I predict we will be having a debate about abortion, and the government will be reviewing the matter before drafting legislation to replace the law which was found to be unconstitutional after the 143rd abortion amendment (which covered abortion, travel, kissing with tongues, scoring,and shifting) was passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Joe prim wrote: »
    People will have ceased to make ridiculously optimistic forecasts about the future, mainly due to the unfortunate "event" of 2019 which left most of the planet in an uninhabitable state and left the handful of survivors living lives of hunger, fear and insecurity, but which at least were mercifully short ( the lives, not the survivors)

Your just a bundle of optimism. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I dont think we will be around by then. Call me pessimistic but we are comsuming and polluting our planet at an unsustainable rate. So if were not living on the moon by then I think we will have been killed off by a plague of some sort or maybe an alien invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

People being against gay marriage I think

Hopefully the masses will be looking at religion in a totally different light too

i hope you're right regards religion but totally disagree with the gay marriage comment,why should people not be against it?
    I will tolerate it but it's not the norm and don't try to to tell me it is.
    Also,i don't want to get into a discussion regarding gay parents that are better than a normal mother/father as i'm sure that can be the case but it's still not the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We will begin to explore bioengineering, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence and robotics on a massive scale. What I envisage in 100 years is this.

The very wealthy will be able to cheat death. To cheat disease and the fate of genetics. When their bodies die out, they will either migrate or transfer their minds to cybernetic organisms or transplant themselves into new 'harvested' bodies with the same DNA as their original, bodies which were grown for them.

The rest of us will continue to live and die as before, but our breeding will be licensed following the explosion of the human population and the dwindling of natural resources.

If you think things are **** now, imagine an imortal Margaret Thatcher or George Bush or Adolf Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

i hope you're right regards religion but totally disagree with the gay marriage comment,why should people not be against it?
    Also,i don't want to get into a discussion regarding gay parents that are better than a normal mother/father as i'm sure that can be the case but it's still not the norm.

I think it's more a case of people being less hung up on enforcing arbitary "norms".
    If Gay Marriage ever became "the norm", the human race would likely die out. Thankfully there has never been a case of "catching the gay", so being rational and legalizing it won't lead to such consequences

Things that will look ridiculous in 100 years:

Jeggings
    Leggings
    Toilets
    Socks
    Saorview
    Cows
    Gas guzzlers

Things like fruit, meat and petrol will be far less common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Joe prim wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Wibbs wrote: »
    Possibly "WTF were they thinking aiming to build intelligent machines". I suspect mobile phones will get a look in on the WTF list. How much sugar were those gobshítes eating? another. You can be sure a few well regarded medical therapies will be thought of as mad Ted.

Do you think mobile phones are going away to be replaced by landlines? Or something better - google glasses with microphones? Because that is mobile.

Chemotherapy will be looked at as barbaric.

100 years from now.

1) people will live longer. We already know how to cheat senescence in rats.
    2) there will be plenty of food. The population is slow growing compared to the 20th century, has about 30% to go until it peaks unlike the 20th century where the population grew by 700% and so did obesity.
    3) there will be no AI , unfortunately. Computers will peak between 2020-2030
    4) global warming will be contained and reversible.
    5) we will have fusion.
    6) most cancers will be reversible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

100 years from now.

1) people will live longer. We already know how to cheat senescence in rats.
    2) there will be plenty of food. The population is slow growing compared to the 20th century, has about 30% to go until it peaks unlike the 20th century where the population grew by 700% and so did obesity.
    3) there will be no AI , unfortunately. Computers will peak between 2020-2030
    4) global warming will be contained and reversible.
    5) we will have fusion.
    6) most cancers will be reversible.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

The concept of bad language. No words will be taboo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

enda1 wrote: »
    • Currency exchanges

Why currency changes? Are you envisaging a one world type utopia/dystopia or are you thinking of some kind of cashless society?

Of course it's not the norm, I don't think I have ever heard anybody describe gay marriage as the 'norm'. It's a new thing, it's gathering pace, and it will seem normal in a hundred years, or will if society liberalises socially as much as it is now.

Living on one town or in the sticks and driving to another town many kilometres away to work in a car.

Living on one town or in the sticks and driving to another town many kilometres away to work in a car.

that's unlikely to change unless you mean there are no cars in the future.

I hate modern pessimism about the future. Understandable given the Big Recession I suppose.

that's unlikely to change unless you mean there are no cars in the future.

I hate modern pessimism about the future. Understandable given the Big Recession I suppose.
    It's the concept of long distance commuting in a car that will go, I'm sure there will still be cars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Augmerson wrote: »
    We will begin to explore bioengineering, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence and robotics on a massive scale. What I envisage in 100 years is this.

The very wealthy will be able to cheat death. To cheat disease and the fate of genetics. When their bodies die out, they will either migrate or transfer their minds to cybernetic organisms or transplant themselves into new 'harvested' bodies with the same DNA as their original, bodies which were grown for them.

The rest of us will continue to live and die as before, but our breeding will be licensed following the explosion of the human population and the dwindling of natural resources.

If you think things are **** now, imagine an imortal Margaret Thatcher or George Bush or Adolf Hitler.

If something like that becomes available to the rich, it'll eventually come down in cost and be available to the rest of us
    markesmith wrote: »
    I'd say that eating meat daily, or even regularly, will be frowned upon.

Why? We've always ate meat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

thiarfearr wrote: »
    Too expensive to grow and with a higher world population and greater income equality (meaning less money for us) means people will probably be eating insects. Unless they find a more efficient way to mass produce GM meat.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Too expensive to grow and with a higher world population and greater income equality (meaning less money for us) means people will probably be eating insects. Unless they find a more efficient way to mass produce GM meat.

Plus there wont be enough land available to graze enough cattle for the amount of meat we're currently consuming, and the emissions produced by meat production will incur taxes according to the environmental/biodiversity laws of the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

thiarfearr wrote: »

Not really. I think meat has only really been a big part of the average person's diet for the last century or two.

Plus there wont be enough land available to graze enough cattle for the amount of meat we're currently consuming, and the emissions produced by meat production will incur taxes according to the environmental/biodiversity laws of the future!

They can already grow vat meat as we've discussed.

Either way real meat will be produced in places with pasture land - like Ireland. Vat meat will go in burgers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Reality fookin tv. It's sucks soooo bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    That shouldn't make it frowned up though, if anything it would make it a luxury

They can already grow vat meat as we've discussed.

Either way real meat will be produced in places with pasture land - like Ireland. Vat meat will go in burgers etc.

I don't remember us having a discussion.

As for vat meat, I never said anything against it? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I would imagine prudishness about sex will seem laughable.

I would imagine prudishness about sex will seem laughable.

Unisex bathrooms/showers like in Starship Troopers!

• Advertisement

I don't remember us having a discussion.

As for vat meat, I never said anything against it? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Firstly - read the thread. Secondly if meat comes from vats consumption won't be reduced.

Advertisement