Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Passed in Rathgar today on my 2nd attempt - SO relieved! Haha had a bit of a freaker when I had to overtake a random old man walking in the middle of the road but it was grand otherwise. Just so glad to have that out of the way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Passed in Wilton Cork -brought around togher ballyphehane and back down the link towards the wilton roundabout went well.Got a few lessons the week before that helped also the videos from the ism are excellent they can be found on youtube.

Passed in Rathgar today on my 2nd attempt - SO relieved! Haha had a bit of a freaker when I had to overtake a random old man walking in the middle of the road but it was grand otherwise. Just so glad to have that out of the way!
    happened me aswell some random old man walked out in front of the car just before I got to the lights:eek:
    Stupid old fool should not be allowed onto the streets:p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

Passed in Wilton Cork -brought around togher ballyphehane and back down the link towards the wilton roundabout went well.Got a few lessons the week before that helped also the videos from the ism are excellent they can be found on youtube.

well done Lemmy!!

well done Lemmy!!
    cheers man best of luck with it-keep practicing until you get it -those ism videos helped me a lot.

• Advertisement

wow, im delighted to be posting here :) just passed my test today in Wilton, was delighted with it, tester was very nice so i dint really feel uncomfortable, he kept me in Wilton, so i got a pass on the hard route, really happy now, got 3 grades 2s in all, 2 for turning right and 1 for not looking on the round about correctly, few basic questions like, junction box, when can you over take on the left, when to dip your headlights at night, signs were end of motorway, slippery road, contra flow bus lane and 1 or 2 more i cant remember, very happy with the result, when he said come in side for your results, i kind of knew i did well, glad its done and over with and out of the way,

wow, im delighted to be posting here :) just passed my test today in Wilton, was delighted with it, tester was very nice so i dint really feel uncomfortable, he kept me in Wilton, so i got a pass on the hard route, really happy now, got 3 grades 2s in all, 2 for turning right and 1 for not looking on the round about correctly, few basic questions like, junction box, when can you over take on the left, when to dip your headlights at night, signs were end of motorway, slippery road, contra flow bus lane and 1 or 2 more i cant remember, very happy with the result, when he said come in side for your results, i kind of knew i did well, glad its done and over with and out of the way,
    Congrats man that's great-did he take you left or right when you get onto main road

Congrats man that's great-did he take you left or right when you get onto main road
    Thanks :) when I came out of the test centre I went left to the roundabout, went straight and then at the 2nd roundabout I went left near the hospital, brought me all around wilton and bishopstown,

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭trevm

Passed my C licence today and cpc in Waterford, first time with Zero faults :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

trevm wrote: »
    Passed my C licence today and cpc in Waterford, first time with Zero faults :):)

Impressive!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Has anyone here got advice on observations? Failed my third test today. On my second test I got a couple of blues and a Grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Naturally, focussed on exagerrating my observations for my test today, yet I failed because of a grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Could not believe it, the driving test has me rattled. :( Rear view, sides, blindspot everytime I pulled off and/or changed lanes. And this was Rathgar route, you only change lane a handful of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Has anyone here got advice on observations? Failed my third test today. On my second test I got a couple of blues and a Grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Naturally, focussed on exagerrating my observations for my test today, yet I failed because of a grade 3 for observation changing lanes. Could not believe it, the driving test has me rattled. :( Rear view, sides, blindspot everytime I pulled off and/or changed lanes. And this was Rathgar route, you only change lane a handful of times.

I read your posts on "unsuccessful..." too.... Are you sure you're not signalling and manouvering too soon before you have observed whether it's safe to go or not? I don't know what else it could be having read your other post. That's the one thing my instructor told me to do from the getgo, I was doing the whole thing too quickly and not observing, taking my time and then proceeding. I passed first time by the way...so if you want another instructor's name PM me. Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

passed in mallow today :D Failed my first test I would have passed it but i made a gigantic mistake on d roundabout before the test centre on d way back grade 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Passed in Naas today, delighted, no blue marks, just a couple of green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Passed in Naas today at the third attempt.
    Got six greens and then three blues for speeding.
    A couple of blues for observation and on the reverse. Swung wide but managed to correct it.

Afterwards the tester said I was driving too fast approaching junctions and lights. In my last test I got eight blues for progress so I guess I was over-compensating.

I took two lessons over the last 10 days and had a pre-test right beforehand this morning. That helped a lot. The re-location of the test centre is also a good thing. I reversed into a parking space just outside the centre gate so was well positioned when starting off.
    The roadworks at the top of the town make the road-markings difficult to see.

Had nobody to accompany me so the majority of practice (outside lessons) was driving around my estate on my own and a few trips around the town. Not ideal but if I didn't do that I wouldn't haven't passed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Finally passed on Thursday in Rathgar - thank Christ!!

Is amazing the difference in a good driving instructor can be, got a couple of blues and 2 greens, a far cry from periods tests. Had a season right before the test too, would highly recommend that to everyone.

Now to sort out if I can apply for a license without having to line up at the motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Passed today first time after 6 months driving with no blues. Delighted!

He gave me two greens for gears, said I was staying in 1st a little too long when turning in wide junctions.
    Also picked up two greens during the hill start, as I thought he wanted me to move forward a bit and then stop instead of proceeding to pull into traffic again. Asked him after a couple of seconds of rolling if he wanted me to continue on, and when he said yes I did my checks then as I usually would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Whew! Passed today in Rathgar with seven blue faults. It was my first time, I'm delighted!

Got marked blues for observation turning left, position on a bend, signals turning right, and clutch controls.

My tester was an odd fellow though, he said "okay, you passed your test today, blah blah blah" like he was reading out obituaries in the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Passed today in Tallagh. First time too, so very happy. 3 blues, one for doing too many over the shoulder looks. I've been driving a motorcycle for 14 years, so it's a habit from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Cienciano wrote: »
    Passed today in Tallagh. First time too, so very happy. 3 blues, one for doing too many over the shoulder looks. I've been driving a motorcycle for 14 years, so it's a habit from that.

Really?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Any observation at a time when it is not needed could result in a blue.

More peripheral checks will not increase safety if your main area of progression is straight ahead, as you may miss something small in your direct path.

For instance a check of the mirror when pulling onto a junction increases your awareness of what may be beside you on your turning edge, but if you spend too much time checking you may miss a car stopped on the junction or on the main road you are pulling onto.

Yeah. Guy who I had in the pre test said it too. In the mock test he had a few mark downs for it. So I recommend him!
    Tester today said it, I told him that it's from driving the bike. He said "you're not on a bike now"!
    Pre test guy said that you can be given a mark for it because you're taking your eyes off the road. I was doing a proper over the shoulder look, same look you give when you're moving off.
    Such a great feeling being told you pass! He never said anything, he just filled out the form saying I passed and handed it to me to sign.

Ah right,I wasn't aware of that. That will help me alot. :)

Ah right,I wasn't aware of that. That will help me alot. :)

Driving instructor said just a quick glance to the right is enough. He said pretend you have a parrot on your shoulder and you're giving it a quick kiss :D

Driving instructor said just a quick glance to the right is enough. He said pretend you have a parrot on your shoulder and you're giving it a quick kiss :D

HAHAhaha :pac: thats a funny, but good tip. :D

2 things I got a green mark for that was totally unnessary: didn't know how to turn on the full headlights, so got a green mark for that (any driving I've ever done was in dublin, it's always lit up) and I got a hand signal wrong. Make sure you do the once over on those, would be a shame if you got a few of them wrong and ended up with a blue.
    Tester told me to beep the horn at someone too. We were going right, filter to turn right went on and the guy in front didn't notice. He told me to do a quick blip of the horn at him.
    One thing that could cost people is the tester you get. My pre test instructor told me to do all the speed ramps in the estate in 3rd gear. 3rd was fine for them. But we passed someone out doing their test and he told me if I get that tester to do the speed bumps in second. She likes people to do them in second! There's loads of bumps, so I guess that's a mark for each one you do in the wrong gear?
    Would be awful awkward to have to go up to 3rd, slow and drop a gear for each bump, there's loads of them.
    Anyway, if anyone wants my pre test guys name and number, pm me, he's excellent. He has videos of a good few of the dublin test routes, talking the way through them. He used to be a tester in tallaght

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

...andddd I passed today in Raheny! Second time round. I got a few grade 2's for my sins but nothing catastrophic. Got a nice tester who cracked a few jokes during the test. That helped. :D
    Would be awful awkward to have to go up to 3rd, slow and drop a gear for each bump, there's loads of them.

It depends. On one road I was on I drove in 3rd, dropped gear for each ramp and changed back up afterwards. There was a long enough stretch between each ramp that if I didn't go up to 3rd the car would be revving too high when I got back up to speed.

Dord wrote: »
    ...andddd I passed today in Raheny! Second time round. I got a few grade 2's for my sins but nothing catastrophic. Got a nice tester who cracked a few jokes during the test. That helped. :D

It depends. On one road I was on I drove in 3rd, dropped gear for each ramp and changed back up afterwards. There was a long enough stretch between each ramp that if I didn't go up to 3rd the car would be revving too high when I got back up to speed.

Well done, such a great feeling passing, isn't it :D
    I had a horrible feeling half way through mine that I couldn't remember any stop signs. Did I go through one without coming to a complete stop? Thankfully I didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Well done, such a great feeling passing, isn't it :D
    I had a horrible feeling half way through mine that I couldn't remember any stop signs. Did I go through one without coming to a complete stop? Thankfully I didn't

Yup, feels great! I had some thoughts going through my head about the distance to the car in front... is it too close... it looks ok to me, but the tester is shorter.... maybe from his angle it's close. :eek: Then I decided that was nonsense.

The one scary thing is this form for the license. I'm still trying to make sense of it. They don't make this easy!

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Yup, feels great! I had some thoughts going through my head about the distance to the car in front... is it too close... it looks ok to me, but the tester is shorter.... maybe from his angle it's close. :eek: Then I decided that was nonsense.

The one scary thing is this form for the license. I'm still trying to make sense of it. They don't make this easy!

Sent mine yesterday. All you need is the form, (think it's pretty much just the first 2 pages, the rest is just crap), photos with your name written on the back (they don't need to be stamped by a garda), your certificate from passing your test, your current lerner permit and €55. I got a postal order for mine and sent it yesterday.
    Do it asap, there's delays getting the new licences out. Its taking some people a month :eek:
    Drove on the M50 today :cool:

Advertisement