Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

passed today could not believe it. i got 5 grade 2 faults and it was my 3rd attempt. test was at 8. 25 in th morning so traffic was not too bad thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Passed today in Tallaght, over the moon! Had a very good instructor who knew the routes very well and was quick to tell me what I was doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Passed today in Finglas, 2nd time lucky, Only 4 blue marks. Had to deal with a zig zagging dfs van that stopped randomly and had people jumping out of it, a bin lorry parked halfway across a junction and a crazy lady who decided to zoom out in front of me from a side road on my way back to the test centre (was thinking I'd failed after that experience)... so am beyond delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Passed today in Finglas, 2nd time lucky, Only 4 blue marks. Had to deal with a zig zagging dfs van that stopped randomly and had people jumping out of it, a bin lorry parked halfway across a junction and a crazy lady who decided to zoom out in front of me from a side road on my way back to the test centre (was thinking I'd failed after that experience)... so am beyond delighted! :)

Congrats ! It's a great feeling pulling out of the car park passing the test. Especially when you pass in Tallaght.

Drive safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Finally passed today - my 7th test in total. I did a test 2-3 weeks ago, with 18+ grade 2's, today I had 3.

Funny thing is, I didn't feel I drove much differently, so it seems to all be on the tester's mood. Nevermind though, all that's over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Philco71

Passed today. 3rd attempt. First attempt six weeks ago I got 24 grade 2 marks. Most of them were for reactions to hazards. I was so nervous about my gear changes that I kept looking down when I was changing gears. Not a good idea! Second attempt I got 10 grade 2s. My observations let me down and then finally today after getting a cancellation I got 4 grade 2s. The tester was very good. I was so nervous to start off that I had the car in 3rd instead of 1st taking off and didn't have the handbrake all the way down. I thought 'here we go again' but because it was in the test centre I think he was lenient towards me and only marked them down as grade 1s. To anyone who is having problems passing the test, I went from 24 grade 2s to 4 grade 2s. If I can do it, anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Passed today in Naas with 8 Grade 2's! I think he was just being nice. If anyone wants to know the route, let me know.

Position
    -Turning right (Grade 2)
    -Turning left (Grade 1 x2, Grade 2 x3) (So close to a fail!)
    React/Anticipate
    -React to hazards (Grade 2)
    Vehicle controls
    -Steering (Grade 2)
    Observation
    -At roundabouts (Grade 2)
    -Turning left (Grade 2)
    Signals
    -Turning right (Grade 1) (forgot to indicate but remembered halfway through the turn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Passed today in Naas with 8 Grade 2's! I think he was just being nice. If anyone wants to know the route, let me know.

Position
    -Turning right (Grade 2)
    -Turning left (Grade 1 x2, Grade 2 x3) (So close to a fail!)
    React/Anticipate
    -React to hazards (Grade 2)
    Vehicle controls
    -Steering (Grade 2)
    Observation
    -At roundabouts (Grade 2)
    -Turning left (Grade 2)
    Signals
    -Turning right (Grade 1) (forgot to indicate but remembered halfway through the turn)

Justin?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Passed today in Tipperary with one grade two for position when driving right. Absolutely delighted as this was my second go at it. I was supposed to have a lesson yesterday at 3 but the instructor never showed which didn't exactly fill me with confidence! Also the bank holiday traffic was muck in town and it lashed rain but the result was positive in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smashpotato

I have my test in woodview limerick on thursday, any tips from people who have passed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I have my test in woodview limerick on thursday, any tips from people who have passed?

Your mirrors are your new best friends. Slow down whenever possible (narrow roads, parked cars, children around etc) its not a race. Watch for jaywalkers, they can make you fail in split second. Keep outside the double yellow lines when reversing around the corner. You can lower your mirror to the kerb when reversing, just make sure to put it back up. If there are no yellow lines look for tiny landmarks when reversing out from the kerb that you can aim your back tyre for. Once you reach it choose another one. You can do the turnabout in more than 3 gos, just make sure not to hit the kerb.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martina.H

I PASSED! PASSED FIRST TIME IN FINGLAS.
    GREAT INSTRUCTER WOULD DEFO RECCOMMEND HIM,
    HE SERVES NORTH KILDARE AND FINGLAS, NORTH DUBLIN.
    IF INTERESTED IN HIS SERVICES PLEASE PM ME

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

Passed yesterday in Tuam on my second attempt! It was early in the morning so town was really quiet. The nerves still got to me and I made mistakes I wouldn't under normal circumstances. I was convinced I'd failed it ... nearly went into shock when she said I got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Passed yesterday in Tuam on my second attempt! It was early in the morning so town was really quiet. The nerves still got to me and I made mistakes I wouldn't under normal circumstances. I was convinced I'd failed it ... nearly went into shock when she said I got it!

Well done! Should be doing mine there in the next 6-8 weeks. Lucky for you, you got in before the schools got back!
    What route were you taken on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just passed in Wilton on my first go. Got 3 or 4 grade 2's and that was about it. I think they were for indicating too late turning, indicating too late at a roundabout and driving a bit too fast in a certain area. I was a lot calmer than I thought I would be, just took my time and I was fine. Great to have all of this stuff off my mind now.

Good luck to everyone else doing it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well done! Should be doing mine there in the next 6-8 weeks. Lucky for you, you got in before the schools got back!
    What route were you taken on?

Thanks! Let's see: Left test centre, turned into Bel Air Drive for the turnabout, then back out, left at traffic lights, did the hill start on Milltown Road, turned right at town and country, turned into Palace Fields for reverse around the corner, into town and up to the square, turned left, passed O'Tooles, turned left at Parkview Drive, then back up to the square, up the Dublin road, turned right, left at roundabout by the railway station, down Gilmartin Road, turn right, then straight ahead past the Garda Station, right past Glynn's, left up the old Ballygaddy road, then straight on back to the test centre.

Good luck!

That sounds identical to my friends test. She was delighted she didn't have to go up Shop St. I must take a spin up old road. Haven't had a reason to go up there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Passed my test at the first time of asking in Tipperary today, delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Just passed, first attempt :D Finglas test centre in Dublin. The relief!!!

Passed this morning on my first attempt in a very wet and busy Tuam! :)

Only just though, one mark off failing for progress at roundabouts. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Decobuzz

Passed this morning! Second time in Raheny. To say I'm delighted is understatement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Decobuzz wrote: »
    Passed this morning! Second time in Raheny. To say I'm delighted is understatement.

Were you in a small light blue car? If so, I saw you doing your reversing manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just passed my test in Westside in Galway. It was my first attempt :):)

I made an absolute balls of reversing around a corner and I ended up hitting the kerb. That's the first time that's ever happened to me. I was sure I had failed at that stage.

I've always been a lurker in the forum, but I gained a lot of knowledge from reading threads. Thanks to all the regular contributors for their tips and advice!

<Snip>

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

<Snip>

Naming driving instructors is against the forum charter.

Naming driving instructors is against the forum charter.

Didn't realise that. Necessary to cut the whole post, though?

Here it is again, without reference to any instructors (though I don't see the harm in a favourable comment if it's a genuine one).

Did my test today in Navan. It was my first time doing it. I did a couple of pre-tests (all of which would have resulted in a fail, if they were the actual test, I'd imagine).

This morning, before the test, I had a pre-test (that i was ridiculously late arriving for). My front L plate was never really up, but i put it up the night before. For some reason though, it wouldnt stick to the windscreen at all this morning, so i was a bit panicked about the test not going ahead. At the pre-test, my instructor, my instructor was helpful and took a magnetic L plate out of his car and stuck it onto my bonnet.

I wouldn't say I was two minutes on the road before the L plate went flying off the car onto the road. Back to panicking and worrying that I'd cost my instructor a valuable L plate.

Did the pre-test, and did okay. Don't think I'd pass though, based on it.

Back to the test centre and my instructor took the L Plate off the inside of his windscreen and stuck it to the inside of mine. Fairly sound of him.

So into the test centre we went and we had a chat about life in general until a tester called me. He informed me that their supervisor would also be coming out with me that day (though my instructor warned me this was likely earlier in the morning). Didn't make me any more confident, to be honest.

Went through the questions and signs (what do double yellow lines mean and when would you dip your lights at night are the only two questions I can actually remember him asking me though).

Then off we went to the car, he asked me a couple of under bonnet questions (never asked about tyres). My back window is tinted, making the L plate more difficult to view. He commented on it, but test went ahead (so obviously it wasn't too bad). At this point my stomache was doing somersaults. I was dreading turning the ignition.

All went relatively well. Biggest disappointment was hitting the footpath when reversing during the turnabout. Never happened me before. The one time it would have to happen! :rolleyes:

Out from that I didn't get too many marks, really. He was using the tablet. After the test, he never told me i passed, but instead just handed me the certificate of competence to sign. I didn't actually cop what it was at first, so was still awaiting a "sorry, but you're a crap driver and should be ashamed to be on the road!".

He talked through my faults, which the most obvious one was hitting the path while reversing on the turnabout, but also not looking left into the exit before mine on a roundabout (when turning right), progress on the straight was also an issue (I was hopping between about 40-55 on stretches of 50kp/h).

Ultimately, I'm genuinely shocked. I really wasn't anticipating I'd pass, and it really came out of nowhere for me. Had he failed me after the test I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I'd have completely accepted it (that's based on my pre-test driving, I think i did actually drive relatively well during the test itself).

All in all, I'm a very happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Can't believe Im actually posting here but passed my test in Wilton first time round yesterday. I'm only driving a car since the end of may (have a full motorbike licence but the car was such an alien beast to me). My confidence was rock bottom leading up to the test. Genuinely one of the most anxious weeks I have put down. Im 39 weeks pregnant and my co-ordination and concentration is suffering a bit from that. I couldn't have picked a more difficult time but between waiting for 6 months to be up on licence and due date, there was literally one week in which I could sit the test. Thankfully they were very accommodating giving me a date that suited.

The tester was very formal, no conversation outside of the directions she was giving me. It made me nervous to begin with but as I started driving, I realised that it was actually beneficial to me as her directions were extremely clear and I had sufficient time and concentration to think about my actions.

We went up to Wilton and out to Bishopstown area. Turned off into a quiet residential area to do the reverse around the corner, which went great. Back out onto main Btown road and up Hawks Road. Went into another residential area for the hill start and turnaround. Came back onto main Btown road and back through Wilton roundabout to test centre.

I was feeling confident with my overall driving but still not fully convinced Id passed. Was worried about picking up a grade 3 when I went to change lane and a guy cut in suddenly from shopping centre lane [which was at a standstill] on the other side. I reacted immediately and stopped my manoevre but was terrified that tester had seen it as me changing position without proper observation. Thankfully it wasn't an issue.

I ended up with two grade 1 marks for clutch and hand signal, and 3 grade 2. The grade 2s were for crossing my lane slightly when coming off the Wilton roundabout (knew that one myself), leaving off the handbrake before coming to the clutch biting point on the hill start (annoyed with myself for that one as my hill starts are usually good) and hitting the kerb when reversing during the turnaround (again was annoyed with myself for that one as I never do it and I hit it so gently I barely realised I had done it).

For what its worth, my tips would be:

Don't be put off if the tester has a very formal attitude. Think of it as a good thing. I definitely drove better because of it.

Don't be afraid to clarify things with tester on the route.

At one point I was turning left on to a busy road and a van beside me was turning right completely blocking my view. I knew I could be waiting a while so I said to tester "he is obstructing my view so I'm going to wait until he pulls out". Obviously it would have been a dangerous manoevre to pull out but once I had it said, I felt like I had justified my actions and didn't sit there worried about being marked down for progress.

I also doubled checked some directions by confirming the correct road by name. Better than taking a wrong turn.

Sorry really long post, but I found reading these threads a big help in lead up to test so want to wish anyone else the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Woop woop. Passed in Raheny today. Did quite a long route all around the Clontarf area and seemed to encounter every primary school's finishing time. Kids (and their stupidly parked tank driving mummies) EVERYWHERE. I had to turn right at a T junction where I literally could not see a thing coming from the left. Just had to wait til I had a good clear gap from the right and crawl out and hope a child didn't decide to run in front of me in the meantime. Eeesh.

Anyway, got through it and passed with flying colours. Absolutely delighted :D Have gone for two drives all alone this evening and, rather miraculously, didn't spontaneously lose all ability to drive and actually, I drove like a normal person. YAY. Still, having never driven alone before (rules be the rules is my view) I felt really very naughty to be in the car on my own :) Still buzzing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

Passed first time in Finglas this morning. Delighted. Now the wallet can have some time to recover.

My tip for what it's worth: Be confident in yourself, and try extra hard to be perfect for the first 5 mins so the instructor will ease off and go through the motions for the rest.

Advertisement