Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Next Christmas is going to be awesome.

You better believe it :P. Took 2 days off there to preserve my sanity. Gonna be a long night of study after work tonight >,>. 16 days to go, final push now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I'm disgusted with how my Christmas went. I was hoping Christmas Day would be a bit of a break so I could relax and recharge my batteries but I became horrendously ill. Feeling better today but still quite weak and tired so I feel more in need of a break than ever but I can't afford to waste any more time :/ Think this could really have affected my chances, as if they weren't low enough already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Ah dude hope youre feeling better, that's a **** buzz.

Yeah, I'm fine now. Thanks :) Definitely slowed me down a lot in terms of study but I'm just going to try to use the time left wisely!

Everyone I've spoken to seems quite disappointed with what they've gotten done over the last week or so. How have boardsies been getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Hollzy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fine now. Thanks :) Definitely slowed me down a lot in terms of study but I'm just going to try to use the time left wisely!

Everyone I've spoken to seems quite disappointed with what they've gotten done over the last week or so. How have boardsies been getting on?

I'm fed up with studying/schols at this stage, I just want to get them over with and have my life back!

• Advertisement

Disappointed with what i've done this last fortnight, but in too deep to quit now. Just make it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

In case it's in any way reassuring, I'll point out that everyone I talked to (bar one person) was disappointed with their productivity in the immediate vicinity of Christmas last year (me included) and many of us still got schols. It's not going to be unique to you, so don't feel like it's a setback. Everyone else was unhappy with their Christmas productivity too, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The problem is, for some people "unproductive" means 2 hours of study a day, for some it means no study at all in 2-3 days :P

Disappointed with what i've done this last fortnight, but in too deep to quit now. Just make it end.

I feel the exact same way. I'm not going to give up. It's so near now, I couldn't.
    The problem is, for some people "unproductive" means 2 hours of study a day, for some it means no study at all in 2-3 days :P

Yeah, an unproductive day to one person could be a great success for someone else! It's hard to quantify productivity and it seems to mean something different to everyone!

I am feeling marginally more positive today. I got more work done today than any day since before Christmas. Still could have fitted in more but I'm getting back on track. There's still so much work to cover though! Definitely going to have to prioritise.

Libraries reopened today, highlight of my social calendar so far this year. No, really.

• Advertisement

I didn't go in today but I'm back in Dublin so I'll be in nice and early tomorrow. Hopefully I'll focus better in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd just like to say good luck to all you guys going for schols, and to take heart from the fact you're in the metaphorical home straight now, and soon it'll be over which, regardless of how it's going, should be something to look forward to.

The best advice I can give you for next week is to just always keep positive about it and not despair about the things you get wrong or don't know in each exam and just focus on the next one all the time. Leave postmortems until all of the exams are over, if you must carry out postmortems at all (which I know I had to, it's impossible for me to resist).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Yeup, I'm just trying to stay positive while simultaneously cramming whatever I can :P I think I can stay optimistic as long as I pretend complex analysis doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I think at this rate I'll be happy to survive Schols :( Studying has gone so badly but whatever I do get done, I think of how it'll benefit me for the final exams (competition for the moderatorship I want will be tough).

If I pass I'll be happy. I think I'm ok for one of my exams (4 of 6 questions should be answered confidently enough), the other two exam outcomes are extremely uncertain at the moment.

Which moderatorship are you going for bscm?

I'm finding it difficult to stay positive but yesterday went well, I got a lot done. If today is as good I think I'll feel better about it all! It's just one exam that I'm really going to struggle with so I guess I've just gotta cram cram cram for that and hopefully something will go in!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Best of luck to everyone sitting Schols next week. As European Son said, try to stay positive and know that you're nearly at the end now; also, I second his advice to avoid post-mortems wherever possible!!

Most of the time you won't have any of idea of how the exams have gone; I had one paper where one question was fine and the other complete sh*te, but I still got schols in the end as apparently the first question was good enough to outweigh the second and get me over the 70 line in that paper. So try not to over-analyse next week, keep your head down, & power through them; once you've got the first one out of the way I find you get into the 'exam groove' and the rest of the week will fly. Plus you'll be miles ahead in preparing for the summer exams, be proud of that!

Even if you don't get it, it still shows an incredible determination & strength of character to apply for & sit the exams, so be proud of your dedication and of getting this far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Brain no good now.

No. Brain died. So many informations. Too many.

Which moderatorship are you going for bscm?

I'm finding it difficult to stay positive but yesterday went well, I got a lot done. If today is as good I think I'll feel better about it all! It's just one exam that I'm really going to struggle with so I guess I've just gotta cram cram cram for that and hopefully something will go in!

Astrophysics. There's only about 33 of us from Science in Physics, but there are only 20-odd places in Astrophysics and a lot of us want to do astro

Ah, I see. Best of luck anyway! I want to do zoology which has about thirty places. The popularity fluctuates from year to year but should definitely be safe with a 2.1 in summer.

My brain has stopped working as well. It's getting confused about day to day life now, nevermind biochemistry :S

• Advertisement

Wanted to wish all you schol hopefuls the best of luck next week- this time last year I was a nervous wreck and the Christmas period studying for schols was a dark, dark time indeed.

Go in there and do your best, I guarantee you know more than you think you do and are better than you think you are.

Try not to overthink your exams after they're done and enjoy the freedom instead- I genuinely thought I failed (like, properly failed) one of my exams and that all hope was lost for schols; turns out that exam was my 2nd best exam and I did indeed get schols. Most of us are rubbish judges of our own performance, so try not to think too hard and just answer the questions as best you can.

Good luck, it's nearly over now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Cheers for all the advice/good wishes people! Sorta hard to believe this'll all be over in a week o,o. Even weirder to think that some people have begun exams already.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Can't wait to get those exams over with and completely forget the last 2 months of my life!

Sometimes I actually feel like my head is heavy and full and nothing else is going to fit in there. But if I eat some chocolate, that feeling clears and I get a lot more productive. Hmmm, it appears if I want schols, I'm also going to have to give myself diabetes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Geology has beaten me.

I can't absorb the sheer amount of information in Clarkson's invertebrate paleontology.

There's so much to learn for geology... I'm hoping that seeing as there are no past papers for the petrology section, one of the questions will be the same as one on the sample paper they gave us, or at least very similar. But I'm not sure how likely that is. If something like that autobiography of a calcium atom came up, there's no way I'd do it though. I don't know how to go about an essay like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

My condensed set of notes (Bare essentials, smallest font, smallest page margins all in shorthand) are coming up to nearly 80 pages... 45 of those pages for a single three-module-spanning exam. It makes the annual exams seem like a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Terrible day of study. Blah.

Also, just realised today that one of my examiners sent out a finicky technical not-very-useful research paper by accident, instead of the nice relevant general review paper on the actual reading list. I neglected to read in detail the 5 titles on said list, naively assuming that they would correlate to the 5 papers he sent out. I was only 80% correct.

Not a big deal. Just very annoying, that review would have made my initial study much easier to get around, and I wasted time on the useless one instead...

Feel physically ill at this point.

Stress eating is going to hit a whole new level when I'm back to town for Schols... Pizza, burritos, Yum Thai... I've single-handedly polished off most of the selection boxes and biscuit tins in my house over Christmas. I dread to think of the abuse my Laser card is going to get over the next week...

If you see a girl walking around clutching boxes of noodles and pizza slices, and mumbling about phasers in circuits. Please, save me from my own demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Best of luck everyone! :)

Advertisement