Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on holidays alone-stigma?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭

Do you think there is still a stigma towards people who go on holidays alone as being sad or pathetic and that its not a real holiday? Its true that I wouldnt have a bucket of friends but even the ones I have gone on a few holidays with, its been hard what with their work commitments, agreeing on a place etc. I have gone to New Zealand and China alone and loved it, and this year Im forced to go alone to a few places in Europe but I still love seeing the sights, sampling the food etc.

I admit your nightlife can be a bit limited when alone but all my holidays alone have been great and very enjoyable, yet I still get a few raised eyebrows and mutters of "Id NEVER go on holiday alone" when I mention this, but I cant help it if my mates cant commit, does anyone else think there is a stigma to holidaying alone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No it's fine just go have a good time and on the plus side you don't have to be with people you don't really like. If you have nobody you want to bring there's no point bringing a token friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm not sure about holidaying alone - I have however lived, studied and worked abroad alone. That's one thing, you kinda have to immerse yourself in the local culture etc. to make a few friends and make your way while you're there. But holidays? If I was just going to be ambling around for a week or two seeing the sights, personally I think I'd want someone with me. I spend enough time alone at home, it might be nice to share the experiences you'd have on holidays with someone else. JMO though. You may love holidaying alone if your normal life at home is frenetic, and full of other people and their demands. Mine is fairly quiet, so I think I'd need someone with me to offset feeling a bit lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Nothing wrong with it. I would prefer to be with other people, its twice as enjoyable when its a shared experiance. But if you're going to be always waiting for other people to go somewhere, you would never go anywhere.

So, where you off to this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I've done a bit of adventuring by myself in Latin America and in Europe, also did a few friends holidays and tbh I found going by myself a much more relaxing and fun time. I guess I consider myself pretty outgoing so when I went solo I threw myself into the new culture and met some fantastic people. Friends holidays can get pretty hectic at times, not everyone on the same page...(don't get me started on going with my ex). I never thought there was much of a stigma attached unless you're a middle aged man off to notorious sex-touristy hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I have traveled alone and loved it every time. I have always found it easy to meet people and go out with them when traveling alone so I wouldn't be on my own all the time anyway. Usually staying in a hostel helps in that situation. I have been on holidays with friends that were just as much fun. I do think traveling on your own is also helps you getting to know the real you.

This is also how I ended up in Ireland for which I'm grateful every day ;-) you're such a fun people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

No problem at all with it, travelled and worked and holidayed alone many times. Met great people who are friends more than 10 years later. Now I holiday with my wife and kids, different fun... I am glad I did both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

No there is no stigma at all..

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Nah going on your on is great craic, don't have to listen to anyone. Don't have to think of others when you're making plans and you can do what the fock you want without people knowing back home.

I'd give my right ball to go away on my own again for a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Why is it when someone is dissed for this or for example being on their own in a pub that an assumption is made that the person in question is on their Bob Todd 24/7/365 and they don't have family,partners, friends, acquaintances or work colleagues like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I would prefer to be with other people, its twice as enjoyable when its a shared experiance.

I couldn't disagree more, but different strokes et al.

I interrailed alone when I was 20 and was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Met people I'd never have met otherwise and went places I wanted to without compromise. Since been to Oz and travelled a bit alone before the gf joined me and was unreal too.

Saying that, I wouldn't want to go on a sun holiday alone... or at all really. Always had more fun travelling cities and scapes than sitting by a pool for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I have traveled alone and loved it every time. I have always found it easy to meet people and go out with them when traveling alone so I wouldn't be on my own all the time anyway. Usually staying in a hostel helps in that situation. I have been on holidays with friends that were just as much fun. I do think traveling on your own is also helps you getting to know the real you.

This is also how I ended up in Ireland for which I'm grateful every day ;-) you're such a fun people

I don't know why, but I'v always really hated that phrase of "finding yourself"
    But yes op, I think you are right to say that there are some people can't get their heads around people travelling on their own, but wouldn't let it stop you- as the thread shows plenty people do it
    I also wouldn't go as far as to say there is a "stigma" as such

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

wprathead wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I'v always really hated that phrase of "finding yourself"
    But yes op, I think you are right to say that there are some people can't get their heads around people travelling on their own, but wouldn't let it stop you- as the thread shows plenty people do it
    I also wouldn't go as far as to say there is a "stigma" as such

I know it sounds terribly cliche, but it's true. Suppose that's because I started at pretty young age, I think it really shaped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I like the idea of going on holiday alone. The days would be great, go do and see what you want.

I don't think I could handle the nights though. I can't see myself enjoying going to a pub or restaurant alone.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

I must admit that I think it's odd for people to go on holidays alone. Imagine seeing the beauty of Niagara Falls for the first time...and you've no one to share it with. Nobody to take a picture of you so you awkwardly intrude on other couples to ask for a photo. You have a stupid grin on your face but you're crying inside. You eat in Mcdonalds to spare yourself the embarrassment of asking for a "table for one." You rush back to the grubby hostel in shame and cry yourself to sleep as the other loved up couples are heading out for the night. They'll awaken you later when they scream in ecstasy from banging each others brains out. They'll whisper a muttered "sorry" the next day as you discover the hardened cum stains that accidentally got on your shirt from their antics last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Are you Jack Reacher?

I like the idea of going on holiday alone. The days would be great, go do and see what you want.

I don't think I could handle the nights though. I can't see myself enjoying going to a pub or restaurant alone.

I'd feel a bit out of place sitting at a table on my own but sitting at the bar is and can be great craic. Getting chatting to the workers and other randomers at the bar and go knows what could happen.

Done it for years traveling about and only have happy good stories of bars on my own.

God I hate being a grown up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I worked with a bloke who went to Spain on his own, brought his work-jacket with him with company logo on it & got some random to take a photo of him on the beach with it on, a pair of Speedo swimming thingys on & wellington boots.....

He had it emailed back to the Boss the Sad Bast*rd too :rolleyes:

I'd feel a bit out of place sitting at a table on my own but sitting at the bar is and can be great craic. Getting chatting to the workers and other randomers at the bar and go knows what could happen.

Done it for years traveling about and only have happy good stories of bars on my own.

God I hate being a grown up :(
    A woman on her own in the bar talking to strangers - I'd look like a hooker!

I must admit that I think it's odd for people to go on holidays alone. Imagine seeing the beauty of Niagara Falls for the first time...and you've no one to share it with. Nobody to take a picture of you so you awkwardly intrude on other couples to ask for a photo. You have a stupid grin on your face but you're crying inside. You eat in Mcdonalds to spare yourself the embarrassment of asking for a "table for one." You rush back to the grubby hostel in shame and cry yourself to sleep as the other loved up couples are heading out for the night. They'll awaken you later when they scream in ecstasy from banging each others brains out. They'll whisper a muttered "sorry" the next day as you discover the hardened cum stains that accidentally got on your shirt from their antics last night.

Why do you care so much about what other people may or maybe not be thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Never quite understood why girls I know wouldn't go into a bar on their own for a quiet one??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've done it a few times. Like the OP, I don't always have someone to go with, but its still great to get away and see the world. I've met some great people in bars over the years in foreign cities. Walking tours are another great way to meet people.

I agree with NothingMan; I'd have fun travelling cities and scapes than sitting by a pool for a week. Plus when you travel alone you can go exactly where you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

There's quite a difference from going to China or New Zealand for a while on holidays and going to, say, Malaga for a week. I've travelled alone and wouldn't be bothered in countries where you've got to join groups or stay in hostels but honestly I'd feel a bit lonely going to a resort for ten days on my own when pretty much everyone else is in families/couples/friend groups. Going to a city would be a bit different again but it'd be nice to share the experience with someone.

No you wouldn't! You might get lots of attention alright but doesn't necessarily mean its going to be bloke after bloke annoying you. I've met loads of friends from sitting on bar stools :)

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

Nothing worse when the "hostel loner" tries to attach himself to your group and insists on tagging along to everything. I actually had to tell one awkward goofball to fúck off last time I was on holidays with my mates.

WTF? :confused: How would that happen? I suppose you'd give them a round of applause only you can't clap with one hand. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I always go on holidays on my own. Why would you want to go holiday with someone you see all year, it's like taking a ham sandwich to McDonalds.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Never quite understood why girls I know wouldn't go into a bar on their own for a quiet one??
    I suppose because we're not used to it. I would feel very self-conscious. I don't know if I would feel safe if I didn't know anyone and had to back to the hotel alone.
    No you wouldn't! You might get lots of attention alright but doesn't necessarily mean its going to be bloke after bloke annoying you. I've met loads of friends from sitting on bar stools :)
    Misspent youth. :D

Nothing worse when the "hostel loner" tries to attach himself to your group and insists on tagging along to everything. I actually had to tell one awkward goofball to fúck off last time I was on holidays with my mates.
    You sound delightful.

I suppose because we're not used to it. I would feel very self-conscious. I don't know if I would feel safe if I didn't know anyone and had to back to the hotel alone.

I suppose for a woman it wouldn't be as safe to travel alone in general. I don't know any women that have travelled alone. I think its something guys would be more inclined to do.

As for what people might think of you, I don't care as I'm in a foreign city where nobody knows me. Overall I would say the experiences of travelling alone have made me come out of my shell. I meet more people than what I would travelling with friends. It was daunting doing it the first time, but now I don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There are definitely still people who think it's strange or wrong. If anything I find them weird. They're usually the clingy dependent type who need somebody else to make all their decisions - wouldn't even join a club or a class on their own.

Most people just wouldn't enjoy the experiences as much by themselves so it doesn't appeal to them. That's understandable and totally different from the needy types who can't do anything on their own. I think they stigmatise solo holidays to cover up their own insecurities.

Advertisement