Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on holidays alone-stigma?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm dying to go away on my own, I intend doing it next year. Too many places to see to be hanging around waiting on other people to clear their schedules.

I'm planing a climbing holiday in thailand/vietnam next year. I'm due a sabbatical from work and I'll take some holidays too and see about heading for 6-7 weeks. It is going to be glorious.

Something like this
    http://www.rockandsun.com/climbing-locations/asia/thailand/

But I'll organise it all independently so it's cheaper.

Thinking of heading to a european city for a few days break this year. I wouldn't mind going with a friend. But most are in long term relationships and the few that aren't are either broke/working.

I guess I could just sit home and talk to myself. But to be fair, that'd make me feel like I was an old married man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

zumbar wrote: »
    Good for you. I travelled on my own for 6 months, around Asia and Australia and had a ball. One recommendation - stay in smaller hostels a little outside of town. The people staying there will tend to gang together and be friendlier than in the bigger hostels in the city centres.

And they'll be more sober. The ones in the town centre tend to be filled with drunks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Why do you care so much about what other people may or maybe not be thinking?

Humans being social creatures tend to take into account what others think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I know I'd have a lot more respect for a person who was willing to go on holiday alone compared to someone who would never go on holiday alone.

Someone who would never go on holiday alone, would be someone who would have serious self-confidence issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

thiarfearr wrote: »
    Humans being social creatures tend to take into account what others think

I have a friend that, if you're late to meet her in a pub, she'll go and sit in a cubicle in the ladies until people turn up. She is so paranoid about what other people think, she thinks she's getting judged by everyone in the bar because she's on her own. It is just ridiculous.

It's an extreme example, but to run your life based on what other people think is quite sad, and smacks of insecurity. If I have no plans, and if other peoples schedules don't fit mine, I'll often take off somewhere for a weekend on my own. Was in Stockholm for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago. On my own. Had a real nice time wandering around. And happy enough eating out or sitting in a bar with a beer and a book

Seen a lot of places I'd never have seen if I always had to go with someone else for fear of people thinking I was a weirdo loner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I'm planning a trip during the summer where I'm planning to travel down through the Americas. I'm doing this on my own, not least cause I'm at an age where I'd get no-one to go with me but because I think it seems like a greater adventure on my own. I'm quite a shy person so in a way I'm hoping this will make me come out of my shell a bit more when I'm forced to interact with more people. The loneliness is the only thing I'm daunted over but other than that I can't wait!

I did a bus tour around part of the US and loved it, went on my own, would be fairly introvert as well but made some good friends I still talk to today over there, you'd be surprised how many people travel solo. I love being on my own schedule, no arguing with people who do or don't want to do things you may or may not like etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I didn't read through all the thread so I don't know if this was mentioned but holidaying and breaks away either abroad or at home in Ireland, on your own is so freeing and liberating. It's a beautiful feeling. Highly recommended.

I only ever holidayed once abroad and it was on my own, but when I landed I wasn't ever on my own at all, at all. Beautiful. If money allowed I'd do it again.

I'd love to fcuk off to some remote area with a book or something and just getting away from everything. Find a nice eating establishment sitting with some beautiful scenery as a view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I have often traveled alone and I have always enjoyed the experience. If I go off alone, I never use that word ' holiday ' as it conjures up a beach/poolside kind of experience, which is not what I am into. I always say that I am off on a ' trip ' off travelling' or on a pilgrimage.

If I travel alone, I usually avoid staying in large cities or resorts as I find it easier to meet people in the in villages or rural areas. Staying in hostels is a great way to meet fellow travelers. Using Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club is a great way to meet the locals if one is travelling alone.

There is no stigma attached to traveling alone, just don't call it a ' holiday'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I love travelling alone but I've only really done short trips at a time travelling around Europe. Always end up meeting more people when you're on your own than in a group. As a woman, I'd be a bit wary of doing anything further afield though. For example, I'd love to travel around South America but I think certain areas would be a bit more dangerous for a woman alone, which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

A woman on her own in the bar talking to strangers - I'd look like a hooker!

Ah no :pac: It depends where you go and what time! I usually only really go for a pint on my own when I'm in a new country and want to mix with the locals. Often head out for the night on my own when abroad and it's great fun. In Dublin, it would be a bit strange for me but I have popped in for a drink during the day to pubs in Ireland and sat at the bar, but I definitely wouldn't do it on a Saturday night here at a busy bar; you'd be hit on constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I think anyone who "raises their eyebrows" when they hear someone's going on holidays, the cinema, the pub... wherever... alone is the pathetic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I love travelling alone but I've only really done short trips at a time travelling around Europe. Always end up meeting more people when you're on your own than in a group. As a woman, I'd be a bit wary of doing anything further afield though. For example, I'd love to travel around South America but I think certain areas would be a bit more dangerous for a woman alone, which is a shame.

To psych myself up for travelling through Central and South America I googled about travelling through there on my own and nearly every hit I got was from some girls that had done it solo. It was unusual for a dude to be reading that I know but hearing of all the women that do it makes me look forward to it more. :D

Hope that doesn't make me sound like a weird perv! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I must admit that I think it's odd for people to go on holidays alone.

I visited my friend in Korea but she was working alot so I had alot of time by myself to explore. I wasn't alone for the whole trip but I enjoyed hanging out with my friend and I enjoyed exploring by myself.:)
    Imagine seeing the beauty of Niagara Falls for the first time...and you've no one to share it with. Nobody to take a picture of you so you awkwardly intrude on other couples to ask for a photo. You have a stupid grin on your face but you're crying inside.

I'd rather share the sights but I wouldn't be sad inside and certainly not crying!!:P
    You eat in Mcdonalds to spare yourself the embarrassment of asking for a "table for one."

I'd be more embarrassed to be seen eating in McDonalds.:rolleyes: I didn't go on holiday to eat the same crap I have at home. Even in Ireland when I'm on my lunch break from work I would go to a cafe/pub for lunch by myself if no-one else was on break. I wasn't the only one either. Better than sitting in the work canteen by myself.

I also had a few tables for one in Korea. Big whoop! It sounds like you might have confidence issues as you sound fairly self-conscious about how your perceived. No one else cares if you get a table for one.
    You rush back to the grubby hostel in shame and cry yourself to sleep as the other loved up couples are heading out for the night. They'll awaken you later when they scream in ecstasy from banging each others brains out. They'll whisper a muttered "sorry" the next day as you discover the hardened cum stains that accidentally got on your shirt from their antics last night.

While I dislike sharing a room with strangers, I would simply get a single gender room which would limit that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I have done it on a few occasions and I loved it. Give me a trip abroad away on my own, over a trip abroad with a group, some of which you don't really like, any day. In group travel you waste hours waiting for people and going to see things that are of no interest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I've gone on weekend breaks and week long holidays on my own, and really enjoyed them. I've no problem exploring and wandering on my own, and will happily sit at a table for one as long as I have wifi or a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

sam34 wrote: »
    I've gone on weekend breaks and week long holidays on my own, and really enjoyed them. I've no problem exploring and wandering on my own, and will happily sit at a table for one as long as I have wifi or a book.

Why do you need those props, though? I like going to restaurants alone and just sitting there with my thoughts.

Why do you need those props, though? I like going to restaurants alone and just sitting there with my thoughts.

good for you. I, on the other hand, would rather pass the time with a good book or a browse online. each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

What has going on holidays alone got to do with bleeding from the palms of your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Definitely no stigma , if it was a straight choice between going on holidays on my own or staying in this kip I would definitely go on the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There is a stigma but only from idiots whose POV isn't worth taking on board in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

With your thoughts? Why do you need them, though?

I usually sit in the restaurant alone, thoughtless and naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I have considered this recently as I'm finding it very difficult to get my friends to go away on holiday. I almost have to constantly remind them and it often feels like I'm trying to get them to do something they're kind of indifferent about. I'll admit though, I think I'd find it tough flying solo. Big respect to those who do but I'm not sure if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

With your thoughts? Why do you need them, though?

I usually sit in the restaurant alone, thoughtless and naked.

Do you order food when at the restaurant? I don't really need to conform to the model that people go into restaurants to eat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Do you think there is still a stigma towards people who go on holidays alone as being sad or pathetic and that its not a real holiday? Its true that I wouldnt have a bucket of friends but even the ones I have gone on a few holidays with, its been hard what with their work commitments, agreeing on a place etc. I have gone to New Zealand and China alone and loved it, and this year Im forced to go alone to a few places in Europe but I still love seeing the sights, sampling the food etc.

I admit your nightlife can be a bit limited when alone but all my holidays alone have been great and very enjoyable, yet I still get a few raised eyebrows and mutters of "Id NEVER go on holiday alone" when I mention this, but I cant help it if my mates cant commit, does anyone else think there is a stigma to holidaying alone??

My first solo-holiday was actually backpacking in my teens around Northern Ireland; just me and my backpack! Loved every day and actually didn't want to return as I enjoyed the freedom so much. Nerves were shot by my parents though & they were glad college was starting for me :o
    I've been on several independent holiers but many more with friends. Close tie between them tbh. Really depends on those you are travelling with and compatibility issues; otherwise headaches a plenty!

Their is a stigma with solo-travelling alright, but confidence plays a major part imo. I don't think nightlife is hindered too much once you are outgoing and will mix n mingle. I have some friends then who just won't travel solo and cannot comprehend travelling without a partner or friend. Each to their own though and their own personal history life-lessons will play an important part too.

Thanks for starting this thread. Some real interesting view-points within! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

It annoys me that there are people who are quite happy to never travel. This is something I don't understand. Surely travelling is one of life's great pleasures? We are a tiny little dot on the world map yet these people are indifferent to travelling and exploring.

I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with it, only a narrow minded person would take issue with it.

I'm getting into Golf lately, and if I stick to it I'd love to travel to a few famous courses to play so might consider it for that down the line.

I spent a long weekend in the lake district a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely , I wouldn't go to somewhere like Ibiza on my own however

tbh I'd never go to someplace like Ibiza, alone or with others!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've never been on holidays on my own, but I would have loved to do it once.
    On holidays I like to wonder, just walking for hours taking in the sights and not going to any place in particular, its harder when you are with people.

I went travelling with some friends for a year and coming towards the end when everyone was broke and getting ready to go home, I decided there were places I still wanted to see so I carried on for an extra month on my own. It was fantastic! After about two weeks I started to crave a little bit of company so I joined a tour bus and met lots of other solo travelers. Really glad I did it. By the way I'm a woman and didn't feel unsafe, you just need to use your common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Pug160 wrote: »
    It annoys me that there are people who are quite happy to never travel. This is something I don't understand. Surely travelling is one of life's great pleasures? We are a tiny little dot on the world map yet these people are indifferent to travelling and exploring.

I used to think so too but not anymore; I went to Mullingar once and now I never leave home at all-that is all.

Advertisement