Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

scudzilla wrote: »
    I bet you're one of those guys who goes to a show and boo's the second it goes to the ground, i find this idiotic as 2 guys with a great ground game rolling round is a joy to behold

Does that happen? I can see why that would annoy purists but for the average man on the street I'm sure they want to see big standup knockouts. Can't understand the popularity of UFC in america.
    This makes no sense.
    The striking is tame in comparison to boxing or K1. These guys spend 100% of their time punching/ striking. MMA guys have to dedicate a lot of time to groundwork. MMA guys don't seem to have decent chins either and go down handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Joe Hart wrote: »

The striking is tame in comparison to boxing or K1. These guys spend 100% of their time punching/ striking. MMA guys have to dedicate a lot of time to groundwork.MMA guys don't seem to have decent chins either and go down handy enough.

Wow, just.... wow.

Wow, just.... wow.

Care to argue against my points? You have some many that only train in striking when they first converted from a wrestling discipline. Compare that to a boxer or thai boxer that has been striking since 5 years of age. You can't compare the two. There are only a certain number of hours in the day and if you spend half it on the ground your strikes are going to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The striking is tame in comparison to boxing or K1. These guys spend 100% of their time punching/ striking. MMA guys have to dedicate a lot of time to groundwork. MMA guys don't seem to have decent chins either and go down handy enough.

Again, this makes no sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Care to argue against my points? You have some many that only train in striking when they first converted from a wrestling discipline. Compare that to a boxer or thai boxer that has been striking since 5 years of age. You can't compare the two. There are only a certain number of hours in the day and if you spend half it on the ground your strikes are going to suffer.

What makes you think MMA guys have poor chins? Tell that to JDs, Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt (to pick 3 very roughly off the top of my head). Ridiculous statement, though I'm not all that surprised recently pal

• Advertisement

Care to argue against my points?

Why would anyone argue your points? You are just saying things with absolutely no base in reality.

If you had something to back up your statements, there might be a discussion here. But saying things like MMA fighters haven't got as good of a chin as Boxers is frankly absurd!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Not to back seat mod here but people need to stop replying to Joe. Not saying he's a troll, just saying he's adding nothing to this thread/forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show. I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

If you find MMA so tedious, and are so unimpressed, why are you bothered posting in this forum? Is it just to get a rise out of MMA enthusiasts? Because that is how it is coming across. It doesn't seem like you want to 'learn', because as you stated, you find it boring, so you probably don't have much interest in it?

If you're a kickboxing fan, why not shoot over to the Martial Arts & Self Defence forum and contribute there? Not enough professional kickboxing threads over there, in my opinion. You might actually be able to contribute something over there, because you clearly can't on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I actually still don't think the lad's a troll but jaysus he's annoying the crap outa me haha right enough Joe feckin Hart for one day... onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

duty_calls.png

• Advertisement

Joe Hart is just mad because he has dandruff!

Jayo_M wrote: »
    If you find MMA so tedious, and are so unimpressed, why are you bothered posting in this forum? Is it just to get a rise out of MMA enthusiasts? Because that is how it is coming across. It doesn't seem like you want to 'learn', because as you stated, you find it boring, so you probably don't have much interest in it?

If you're a kickboxing fan, why not shoot over to the Martial Arts & Self Defence forum and contribute there? Not enough professional kickboxing threads over there, in my opinion. You might actually be able to contribute something over there, because you clearly can't on this forum.

I've already changed a few of my opinions based on some of the videos I was shown. I hope some of you are open to considering my opinions.

Anyway....regarding chins.
    The guy CmcG fought. At that weight division going down after 70s to a debutant is fairly remarkable.

hahahaha awww man the thing is he's givin me a good laugh at least

I've already changed a few of my opinions based on some of the videos I was shown. I hope some of you are open to considering my opinions.

Anyway....regarding chins.
    The guy CmcG fought. At that weight division going down after 70s to a debutant is fairly remarkable.

You're right.

After all, a Boxer or a Kick-Boxer has never been knocked down inside 70 seconds.

I once was blind, but now I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show. I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

You know one of the most prolific HW K1 champs is in the UFC and he got KO last time he fought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok you're a K1 fan, you have no respect or appreciation (it would seem) to any aspect of MMA.. Tbh I think you're on a wind up here, with that in mind I'm going to ban you from posting in this thread.

Failure to comply with this will result in your banning from the forum.

Everyone else, stop feeding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was just reading about a guy who died after an unregulated bout in Michigan on Saturday night. It doesn't say he died of his injuries or anything but that he just dropped after the fight. Very sad news anyway.

LINK

looks like he lasted 2 rounds, then lost by TKO in the third and walked away seemingly ok then collapsed after and wasn't revived. Not enough known yet it seems. Very sad alright. Nobody turns up at an MMA event to fight thinking they could die and no fighter has died in a regulated event ever... but either way grass roots MMA events all over the world happen all the time and I'm 100% sure SOME of the unregulated ones shouldn't happen at all for lack of experience or proper reffing or other safety concerns which I imagine are quite complex when you're running a show. Whether this had anything to do with why this fighter died we don't know yet it seems but either way it's very sad to hear somebody dying, possibly from doing what they love.

from pics I've seen he spent time on the ground under full mount but got up under his own power after he lost. He may have been a bit older than some articles are reporting, I saw him listed at 43 years old somewhere and that may end up an important factor if he was put in with a younger guy at that level of MMA. Either way it's the refs job to stop it but I'd say it isn't easy when you've possibly got two fighters who can't stop each other and who are possibly gassed after a round. The flip side is that punches are less powerful once guys gas but then again these were heavy weights so mounted punches still bring their heavy weight down on their opponent no matter how tired they may be which makes reffing a HW grass roots MMA fight necessarily difficult and in need of a good experienced ref... I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TUF Spoilers!

F*ckin hell! See what
    Uriah Hall
    did!

Spoilers for anyone watching TUF

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/756246321.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Gunnar Nelson out of UFC 160 with an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Gunnar Nelson out of UFC 160 with an injury.

Pooballs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

You know I had just forgotten about Gunni for a few days with Conor then got so excited for his night fight. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sheehy83 wrote: »
    TUF Spoilers!

F*ckin hell! See what
    Uriah Hall
    did!

**** I have my days mixed up, I thought that was tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

dave1982 wrote: »
    Holy **** who leaked that?:eek:

It was on TV yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It was on TV yesterday.

Had my days mixed up :rolleyes:

looking forward to this :D

I thought it was leaked, last guy to leak TUF spoilers is still paying for it with Dana

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

sheehy83 wrote: »
    TUF Spoilers!

F*ckin hell! See what
    Uriah Hall
    did!

Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Does Gunni train in Dublin if he is working with McGregor