Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Mass Shooting

Options
  • 09-04-2013 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

This time in Serbia,Serbia ranks in 5th place on the List of countries by gun ownership. Gun culture is strong among Serbs and traditionally important part of rural life. It seems that are no way incidents like this can be stopped ?

Six men, six women and a two-year-old boy died before the gunman tried to kill himself and his wife. The pair are now said to be in a serious condition.

Police identified the gunman as Ljubisa Bogdanovica 60-year-old war veteran.

The victims were reported to be relatives and neighbours of Bogdanovic, and included his mother and son.

The shootings took place in several houses in Velika Ivanca, about 50km (30 miles) south-east of the capital at about 0500 local time (0300 GMT).

Local residents said the gunman, armed with a 9mm handgun, killed his son before leaving the house and shooting dead neighbours, some of whom were still asleep.

"He knocked on the doors, and as they were opened he just fired a shot,'' villager Radovan Radosavljevic was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

"He was a good neighbour and anyone would open their doors to him. I don't know what happened."

All but one of the victims died instantly, police said.

Serbian police chief Milorad Veljovic, who is at the scene, told RTS that the gunman was "from a peaceful family and had no criminal record".

"We're all just stunned," Mr Veljovic said.

The suspect is reported to have been made redundant last year. He fought as a Serb soldier in the war in Croatia in 1991.

The motive for the attack was not immediately clear.

In a similar attack in Serbia in 2007, a 39-year-old man shot dead nine people and injured two others in a village in the east of the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22076650

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Every time there is a mass shooting in a foreign country are we going to have the same stupid boring argument here in AH about gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Every time there is a mass shooting in a foreign country are we going to have the same stupid boring argument here in AH about gun control.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Its pretty simple.

RIP to those who died. And strength and support to their families, friends and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Such a terrible thing to happen.

May all the victims R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

No, Only every time there is a mass shooting in the USA we have the same arguments about gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Only in A....Serbia.

Rip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A veteran of the Balkans war, a particularly nasty war too.. Probably a lot of post trumatic stress going on, lack of support for vets and firearms within easy reach.. This probably won't be the last from there either.

Poor people, the effects of war are far reaching and long lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

......a new day coming where there will be zero gun control in every home in country. It's a pointless argument!

3D printers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Sounds like a man who had enough of his situation decided to do something about it, hence why he only shot up his own village and did not go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

books4sale wrote: »
    ......a new day coming where there will be zero gun control in every home in country. It's a pointless argument!

3D printers.

That's a very very good point. A 3d printer would knock out a gun very easy once you had the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not too sure how confident I'd be firing a gun created entirely via 3D Printing! Even injection molded plastic wouldn't be strong enough for that purpose.

Sounds like a good way to lose a few fingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That's a very very good point. A 3d printer would knock out a gun very easy once you had the plans.

Assuming you had the technology ie a printer that prints compatible material. The plans would most likely be the easiest part. the plan files could be easily distributed on the internet and downloaded exactly like a torrent. I'm not saying they would be easy to get just that if you knew where to look. You wouldn't need to be a firearms expert to make one.

Not too sure how confident I'd be firing a gun created entirely via 3D Printing! Even injection molded plastic wouldn't be strong enough for that purpose.

Sounds like a good way to lose a few fingers.

That's now. What will the technology be like in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Ya a gun with a plastic chamber and barrel not so scary.

Auldloon wrote: »
    Ya a gun with a plastic chamber and barrel not so scary.

Plastics can be designed to be as hard as steel, if not harder. A bit more scary now eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's now. What will the technology be like in 10 years time.

I'm counting on being able to have lasers installed in my eye sockets by then, so there'll be no need for guns.

I'm counting on being able to have lasers installed in my eye sockets by then, so there'll be no need for guns.

Google glasses are half way there to that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

'Merica! Oh wait...

Happy to help ;)

In the meantime the Shark mounted ones are frickin' awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

BASHIR wrote: »
    Assuming you had the technology ie a printer that prints compatible material. The plans would most likely be the easiest part. the plan files could be easily distributed on the internet and downloaded exactly like a torrent. I'm not saying they would be easy to get just that if you knew where to look. You wouldn't need to be a firearms expert to make one.

They're easy to get I was looking at a website specifically designed for hosting them and accepting submissions for them and testing them. It's a small group who believe everyone should have access to them. Kinda crazy.

• Advertisement

but Serbia has quite strict gun control...???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

MadsL wrote: »
    but Serbia has quite strict gun control...???

If the stat in the OP is anything to go by I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Plastics can be designed to be as hard as steel, if not harder. A bit more scary now eh?
    Good luck printing gunpowder though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Good luck printing gunpowder though:)

Ammo is easier to buy than guns

Tox56 wrote: »
    If the stat in the OP is anything to go by I doubt it

A civil war in recent history tends to boost numbers. especially when it involved ethnic 'cleansing'. Gun ownership is not a right in Serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Ammo is easier to buy than guns
    The total opposite is actually true:) Can have a handgun in about 30 minutes. Ammo? That's a.Dearer and b. scarcer. Unless you mean shotgun cartridges or .22 rimfires.:) Those are like muck,- everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shane547

Wonder how many were hoping this was another US shooting so they can go off on a tirade on big bad guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Does the fact the shooter was a 60 year old mean it's less likely we can blame evil computer games as the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A veteran of the Balkans war, a particularly nasty war too.. Probably a lot of post trumatic stress going on, lack of support for vets and firearms within easy reach.. This probably won't be the last from there either.

Poor people, the effects of war are far reaching and long lasting.
    I'm not making light of this tragedy but if this was an episode of Criminal Minds, there would be some trigger which initiated his PTSD. No sane person without a previous record would one day take up his gun and kill his family and neighbours. It's truly shocking. RIP to everyone who died.

• Advertisement

shane547 wrote: »
    Wonder how many were hoping this was another US shooting so they can go off on a tirade on big bad guns

American guns are the bad guns. Everyone else's guns are the "unfortunate" guns.

Advertisement