Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards carrying badges off duty

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

2 stroke wrote: »
    A garda badge also used get one across the M50, I guess they still work on the other non-automated tolls. Probably works for public transport too.
    jim_beam wrote: »
    ive two uncle who are retired guards , i witnessed both of them flash the metal while at the M50 ( before it was made into a flow through )
    SB2013 wrote: »
    There is not free passage on toll roads.

No, Guards still have to pay for their petrol

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

true wrote: »
    No, Guards still have to pay for their petrol

:P

The M50 is barrier free tolling for quite a few years now. So who do you suggest they flash their badge to?

The M50 is barrier free tolling for quite a few years now. So who do you suggest they flash their badge to?

anywhere and everywhere they can, if you read the thread. see back a few posts

anywhere and everywhere they can, if you read the thread. see back a few posts

Yes I have read quite a few bits of bull****. But I'm asking you what toll roads Gardaí can skip through as you have stated this is something that is done but backed it up with an example that can no longer happen i.e. the M50

ones which are not automated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And fair play to them if they can. If I could, I would. And so, I suspect, would you.

Sure if we could all do it, where would we aim the begrudgery...?

In other words, you're talking bull****. Figured as much. If someone claimed they got a free tv licence you'd probably believe that too.

If someone claimed they got a free tv licence you'd probably believe that too.

No they do not get a free tv licence. Please stay to the point.
    jim_beam wrote: »
    ive two uncle who are retired guards , i witnessed both of them flash the metal while at the M50 ( before it was made into a flow through )

+1. What amazes me is that Gardai themnselves think other people do not notice little things going on.
    People have eyes and ears.

I know a Garda who was once at a 30th birthday party when one of the party goers arrived and staggered out of her car, plastered. He was seriously tempted to whip out the badge and arrest her for drunk driving, but as he had a few himself he wasn't too sure that he could be taken seriously. :pac:

Karsini wrote: »
    I know a Garda who was once at a 30th birthday party when one of the party goers arrived and staggered out of her car, plastered. He was seriously tempted to whip out the badge and arrest her for drunk driving, but as he had a few himself he wasn't too sure that he could be taken seriously. :pac:

So tell us what happened next....did he whisper in her ear .." do you want me to whip out my badge now in public or can we just whip out a little something else later in private?"

• Advertisement

So tell us what happened next....did he whisper in her ear .." do you want me to whip out my badge now in public or can we just whip out a little something else later in private?"

Nah, he's married. Can't be doing that stuff now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

MadsL wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Ciudad Juarez has just reached a 5 year murder rate low and Mexico's overall murder rate is no higher than Brazil. Of 37 kingpin drug lords on the most wanted list in 2009, only 12 are still out of jail or even still alive. Murders across the state of Chihuahua halved between 2010 and 2011.

Mexico is improving dramatically.

Murder rates dropped in 2012 after 4 years of increases. Theyve only dropped back to around 2009 levels. I wouldnt go singing its praises just yet.

ah. so he said it has to be in private, in private. wink wink. lol,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

My uncles neighbours best friends son heard from the guy that services his car that they use their badges so they dont have to pay the household tax. true story... now wheres my pitchfork and other angry mob related paraphernalia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

jd83 wrote: »
    My uncles neighbours best friends son heard from the guy that services his car that they use their badges so they dont have to pay the household tax. true story... now wheres my pitchfork and other angry mob related paraphernalia

I also heard from my husbands, brothers, pet Doberman that that is utter bolix!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cruais wrote: »
    I also heard from my husbands, brothers, pet Doberman that that is utter bolix!

I was talking to Eddie Hobbs the other day. He told me it's illegal for Gardaí to to be charged interest on their credit card payments. Any chance you could ask the doberman about the truth in this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

endacl wrote: »
    They can carry all the hats they like and even hats they don't like, like. If they're not like wearing their badges they have no official powers. That's like sooo totally a fact, and there's like OMG just no arguing with it girlfriends.

Idiot closed, thread shot.
    Gok Wan and Gick Two have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

My sister used to work in a late bar in town and there was an entry fee. (back in the celtic tiger days when you paid to get in to pay for a drink) :rolleyes:
    Many a time cops would show the badge and the security / manager would escourt them passed the ticket box

True story :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Funny enough it stops you from getting into the Croke park talks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

"Front line emergency staff "get paid a lot by the country too - about €15,000 a year more than ordinary workers....and they get golden pensions which ordinary workers do not get. Time ordinary industrial workers on the average working wage got a fair deal.

why ??

front line staff do the dirty jobs that the nine to fivers don't. shouldn't that result in some thanks. otherwise why bother doing the job and soak up the abuse and general stupidity for those who require font line staff on a average Saturday night?

industrial works don't put up with that therefore don't get the rewards

• Advertisement

front line staff do the dirty jobs that the nine to fivers don't.

dirty jobs ? like planting drugs in a Donegal niteclub? Or taking 11 grand out of an evidence holdall? Plenty of dirty jobs all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

An off duty cop flashed his badge to try and get in for free when coming into the music venue where i work the owner was there and quickly put him back out and told him if he ever tried that again he would report him to his super, the look on the cops face was priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

dirty jobs ? like planting drugs in a Donegal niteclub? Or taking 11 grand out of an evidence holdall? Plenty of dirty jobs all right.

All 12,000 should be sacked for the above!

"Front line emergency staff "get paid a lot by the country too - about €15,000 a year more than ordinary workers....and they get golden pensions which ordinary workers do not get. Time ordinary industrial workers on the average working wage got a fair deal.

For a start thats an average so plenty of front line staff are on less than "ordinary workers", front line emergency staff are under paid across the board for the work that they do and the responsibilities they have so stop talking nonsense like a good lad.
    S28382 wrote: »
    An off duty cop flashed his badge to try and get in for free when coming into the music venue where i work the owner was there and quickly put him back out and told him if he ever tried that again he would report him to his super, the look on the cops face was priceless.

Not very wise of him, he would be much better keeping the guards on side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

For a start thats an average so plenty of front line staff are on less than "ordinary workers", front line emergency staff are under paid across the board for the work that they do and the responsibilities they have so stop talking nonsense like a good lad.

Actually it was very wise of him, the cop that tried his luck was a newbie and my boss knows everyone else up in the station he is very good friends with a sergeant there plus why should he bow down some one trying to get into his place for free when everyone else pays? just because your man was a cop doesnt mean he can do what he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think your confusing the guards with the mafia . "you have to keep them on your side" or what exactly? They'll assault you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think your confusing the guards with the mafia . "you have to keep them on your side" or what exactly? They'll assault you?

In a restaurant where I used to work a garda was paying the bill when he took two mints from the bowl. The waitress at the till told him that he could only take one (there was a one per customer policy). Even when he flashed his badge she told him to put the mint back.

The following morning she woke up dead.

steddyeddy wrote: »

No they wont assault you obviously but they might remember it some night they find him serving drink after hours or might get there a bit quicker if he rings them up over a burglary etc. Its in a business owners interest to be friendly with the Gardai.

Why do you think so many places give free entry to them or a free coffee. Now I think its perfectly fair, every job has perks and getting a free coffee etc is the least a local business can do and giving free entry to an event,club etc is no different, it keeps them happy and is no more than they deserve in most cases for the hard job that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No they wont assault you obviously but they might remember it some night they find him serving drink after hours or might get there a bit quicker if he rings them up over a burglary etc.

Why do you think so many places give free entry to them or a free coffee. Now I think its perfectly fair, every job has perks and getting a free coffee etc is the least a local business can do and giving free entry to an event etc is no different, it keeps them happy and is no more than they deserve in most cases for the hard job that they do.

If the owner doesn't want to give them freebies then he shoudln't have to, it's not a question of what they "deserve". And the idea that he'd suffer repercussions as a result really undermines the argument that it's what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Hoop66

No they wont assault you obviously but they might remember it some night they find him serving drink after hours or might get there a bit quicker if he rings them up over a burglary etc. Its in a business owners interest to be friendly with the Gardai.
    Here is where the problem lies.

If it's the case that Gardai would not turn up as speedily to a burglary here as they might to somewhere that was keeping them sweet, that is absolutely outrageous.

Advertisement