Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards carrying badges off duty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

So im still looking for the answer. It is required for them to bring garda i.d.aound when not working or not? I would love to find me one of them badges! Straight into the nearest subway to see if they would footlong my 6 inch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I once told an off duty guard i forgot to pay my TV Licence...an hour later he arrived in uniform and threw my television out the window.

I once told an off duty guard I slept with his sister and popped her cherry. An hour later he came back in full uniform and chopped my dick off and choked me with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I work in a petrol station and we give the guards a free coffee or whatever when they're in. They're normally buying other stuff with it so... we just kind of 'forget' to charge for it.

Most are sound and you get to know them.

It's handy at night time to have patrol cars buzzing around the place. Keeps the riff raff away :)

Then again I also give free coffee to neighbours, regulars, taxi drivers and anyone whose nice to me :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I work in a petrol station and we give the guards a free coffee or whatever when they're in. They're normally buying other stuff with it so... we just kind of 'forget' to charge for it.

Most are sound and you get to know them.

It's handy at night time to have patrol cars buzzing around the place. Keeps the riff raff away :)

Then again I also give free coffee to neighbours, regulars, taxi drivers and anyone whose nice to me :o

Nothing is free. The rest of us pay for it. Which is why I do not spend my very hard earned money on your overpriced luke-warm coffee anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

true wrote: »
    Nothing is free. The rest of us pay for it. Which is why I do not spend my very hard earned money on your overpriced luke-warm coffee anymore.
    How hard? I bet it's well-hard. Not half as hard as getting you to spend it though, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

T-K-O wrote: »
    Why would you have to do what he says
    coz he 'whipped it out'

duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

flutered wrote: »
    back in the day the gaurds based in my area were a law unto themselves, i was in a pub late one night, an arguement broke out between a group of guys, the usual drink was doing the talking, one of the group left, a guard in civvies, fifteen minutes later he arrived back in uniform, where he proceeded to take the names of everyone on the premises for after hours drinking.
    Isn't that story copyrighted? John B Keane i think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Wasn't yer man Kieran 'Wolf' Ducie who supplied Katy French with coke going around nightclubs in Dublin flashing a Garda badge to get in for free. As far as I remember he told one set of doormen that he was a member of the Emergency Response Unit.

What I always found suss about the story was that he was never charged on it. Impersonating a Garda is a pretty serious offence and this guy was apparently doing it left right and centre in lots of Dublin nightclubs. The badge he had was real which would then beg the question as to how someone connected with dealing drugs got a hold of it in the first place. For some reason the Garda Ombudsman decided not to investigate.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Isn't that story copyrighted? John B Keane i think....

Its "copied", not copyrighted. Guards are well known for throwing their weight around not just for bullying their way in to niteclubs free, and getting free cups of coffee while the rest of us have to pay for them, but for other little backhanders / special deals too. Why would'nt they? I believe it stems from Haugheys time as Taoiseach. When they saw the corruption there ("thanks a million big fella!") and the corruption with planners / the planning tribunals etc, sure everyone else in authority can get away with a bit too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

RATM wrote: »
    Wasn't yer man Kieran 'Wolf' Ducie who supplied Katy French with coke going around nightclubs in Dublin flashing a Garda badge to get in for free. As far as I remember he told one set of doormen that he was a member of the Emergency Response Unit.

What I always found suss about the story was that he was never charged on it. Impersonating a Garda is a pretty serious offence and this guy was apparently doing it left right and centre in lots of Dublin nightclubs. The badge he had was real which would then beg the question as to how someone connected with dealing drugs got a hold of it in the first place. For some reason the Garda Ombudsman decided not to investigate.

You use to be able to buy the badges for €50 in a fair few markets etc. real badges that where lost, robbed etc. sure you still can haven't seen them in a while though. Less demand now maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Ah the memories...lol
    I was working at Oxegen in the VIP area in 2007. This young buck with his new Garda badge came up to me and my team with the great idea of trying out his fancy new Garda Badge, demanding entry to the back stage area. He flashed his little badge, but before he could do anything I grabbed it off him and 1 of my colleagues pushed him away. So what happened next was very sad. The guy started crying and begging for his ID back. He told me he had just been attested and was sorry for flashing the badge, but was told by all his Garda friends that it was easy to get back stage using the badge. The poor guy was in bits so i gave him his little id back and sent him on his way with a little warning. Twas very funny at the time.

Ah the memories...lol
    I was working at Oxegen in the VIP area in 2007. This young buck with his new Garda badge came up to me and my team with the great idea of trying out his fancy new Garda Badge, demanding entry to the back stage area. He flashed his little badge, but before he could do anything I grabbed it off him and 1 of my colleagues pushed him away. So what happened next was very sad. The guy started crying and begging for his ID back. He told me he had just been attested and was sorry for flashing the badge, but was told by all his Garda friends that it was easy to get back stage using the badge. The poor guy was in bits so i gave him his little id back and sent him on his way with a little warning. Twas very funny at the time.

My landlord when I was in third level was a member of the Gardai, and he used to used his position as a member of the Gardai to try to exert special deals too. As if they were not well enough off already. Sickening. The police forces in other jurisdictions seem to behave better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

RATM wrote: »

I think the charge requires the impersonation to be for some official purpose. As getting free into a nightclub isn't actual a Garda power it wouldn't really be an impersonation
    Ah the memories...lol

That's pretty sad alright. He should have had ye all in the back of a paddy wagon instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

wyndhurst wrote: »
    It is a Warrant Card or Garda ID....not a badge.

We don't need no stinkin' badgeees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My cousin is in the Garda band , he got into serious trouble after a night out when he whipped out his flute in a chipper instead of his badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

In small town Ireland where I grew up a wife of the local guard would build up tick and not pay.

It's been a few years since i've heard this going on - i would expect this is something that's very rare these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So i was talking with a friend today....

So

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A garda badge also used get one across the M50, I guess they still work on the other non-automated tolls. Probably works for public transport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

smcgiff wrote: »
    In small town Ireland where I grew up a wife of the local guard

lol

smcgiff wrote: »
    In small town Ireland where I grew up a wife of the local guard would build up tick and not pay.

and I suppose anything the guard did ever pay for he made sure he got a great discount? Would'nt want to be done for not wearing a seat belt or exceeding the speed limit or pouced on leaving the pub some night now, would we? No wonder half the flats in Rathmines were owned by Gardai!

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote: »
    A garda badge also used get one across the M50, I guess they still work on the other non-automated tolls. Probably works for public transport too.

well worth the 50 euro they cost on the black market so.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The police forces in other jurisdictions seem to behave better.

You sure about that? If anything we have a relatively well-behaved and uncorrupt police force compared to a lot of countries.

In places like Mexico, Colombia, Thailand etc the police are systemically corrupt. At least we don't have to deal with that.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    If anything we have a relatively well-behaved and uncorrupt police force compared to a lot of countries.
    lol....you are joking, right? We would not be top of the corruption league but there is corruption there all right. Its subtle and not always obvious to everyone though. When the likes of Haughey and the planning departments could get away with it shure what harm does a little bit of small scale backscratching do?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

lol....you are joking, right? We would not be top of the corruption league but there is corruption there all right. Its subtle and not always obvious to everyone though. When the likes of Haughey and the planning departments could get away with it shure what harm does a little bit of small scale backscratching do?

Stupid comment...
    not related to subject ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You sure about that? If anything we have a relatively well-behaved and uncorrupt police force compared to a lot of countries.

In places like Mexico, Colombia, Thailand etc the police are systemically corrupt. At least we don't have to deal with that.

Those are third-world countries so your comparison is hardly valid, sure Colombia's been in a state of civil war for nearly 50 years and Mexico is going down the pan as we speak.

There has been systematic unaccountability within the Guards, only for the past few years have we had an ombudsman as opposed to the farcical situation wherein they investigated themselves. Similarly the cops in Ireland also have a bad reputation for assaulting people that you don't find in other western European countries, or at least not as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

FTA69 wrote: »
    B*llocks. They bring it out to blag their way into clubs for free regardless. There's nowhere that does "deals for guards".

You'd be an idiot to charge guards to come into your nightclub.
    Ah the memories...lol

Working Prince at Malahide Castle, we were closing up the park to traffic and warning those entering that the site would be on lockdown after 11am in prep for getting the site secure. Guy screams up the driveway, ignores me in hi-vis pulling him over, drives up the drive, donuts and then drives back over to me. Guards, he says and spins off into the carpark. Guy behind stops and says he's with me and flashes his ID. Stern words were had about who exactly was in charge of the site and the consequences of his mate being a dick. An ID is not a "I'm being a dick, and there is nothing you can do about it" badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They can carry all the badges they like. If they're not wearing their hats they have no official powers. That's totally a fact, and there's no arguing with it.

Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

FTA69 wrote: »
    Those are third-world countries so your comparison is hardly valid, sure Colombia's been in a state of civil war for nearly 50 years and Mexico is going down the pan as we speak.

No it isn't.

Ciudad Juarez has just reached a 5 year murder rate low and Mexico's overall murder rate is no higher than Brazil. Of 37 kingpin drug lords on the most wanted list in 2009, only 12 are still out of jail or even still alive. Murders across the state of Chihuahua halved between 2010 and 2011.

Mexico is improving dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

endacl wrote: »
    They can carry all the badges they like. If they're not wearing their hats they have no official powers. That's totally a fact, and there's no arguing with it.

Thread closed.
    Not true my friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not true my friend!
    Don't try arguing with me pal! I'm wearing a hat!

:D

Advertisement