Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards carrying badges off duty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

endacl wrote: »
    They can carry all the badges they like. If they're not wearing their hats they have no official powers. That's totally a fact, and there's no arguing with it.

Thread closed.
    em...for your own sake,please don`t put that theory to the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

em...for your own sake,please don`t put that theory to the test!

I think the only thing that needs testing is your sarcasometer. It seems to be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

MadsL wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Ciudad Juarez has just reached a 5 year murder rate low and Mexico's overall murder rate is no higher than Brazil. Of 37 kingpin drug lords on the most wanted list in 2009, only 12 are still out of jail or even still alive. Murders across the state of Chihuahua halved between 2010 and 2011.

Mexico is improving dramatically.

Regardless, comparing the Guards and the situation in Mexico is ridiculous to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Might as well throw this out there as a tidbit :P

A uniformed Gardai is not allowed purchase alcohol. I've worked in a few retail jobs and they all said it's against the law to do so (funny, against the law, to sell to the law lol) But most will just put a jumper on. It could still be painfully obvious they are a guard. You could even see the gardai shirt popping out (lol) But once its covered it's legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I think the only thing that needs testing is your sarcasometer. It seems to be faulty.
    Apologies,it was a rather bland effort.Forgive me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Apologies,it was a rather bland effort.Forgive me.
    Oh, I don't know. I read it as being very much in the spirit...

Perhaps a more judicious use of smileys? With hats on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

FTA69 wrote: »
    Those are third-world countries so your comparison is hardly valid, sure Colombia's been in a state of civil war for nearly 50 years and Mexico is going down the pan as we speak.

There has been systematic unaccountability within the Guards, only for the past few years have we had an ombudsman as opposed to the farcical situation wherein they investigated themselves. Similarly the cops in Ireland also have a bad reputation for assaulting people that you don't find in other western European countries, or at least not as much.

You've obviously never been to Spain, France, Italy or Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

true wrote: »
    Its "copied", not copyrighted. Guards are well known for throwing their weight around not just for bullying their way in to niteclubs free, and getting free cups of coffee while the rest of us have to pay for them, but for other little backhanders / special deals too. Why would'nt they? I believe it stems from Haugheys time as Taoiseach. When they saw the corruption there ("thanks a million big fella!") and the corruption with planners / the planning tribunals etc, sure everyone else in authority can get away with a bit too?

They aren't the only ones who get free coffee, the shop across the road from the night club I work in give us free coffee from time to time as part of Quid Pro Quo, where the people working there get in free.

McDonalds across the road will cook us fresh burgers and whatever even after 5 am if the right guy is on. It's quite common among late night workers too.
    Ah the memories...lol
    I was working at Oxegen in the VIP area in 2007. This young buck with his new Garda badge came up to me and my team with the great idea of trying out his fancy new Garda Badge, demanding entry to the back stage area. He flashed his little badge, but before he could do anything I grabbed it off him and 1 of my colleagues pushed him away. So what happened next was very sad. The guy started crying and begging for his ID back. He told me he had just been attested and was sorry for flashing the badge, but was told by all his Garda friends that it was easy to get back stage using the badge. The poor guy was in bits so i gave him his little id back and sent him on his way with a little warning. Twas very funny at the time.

Oxegen 2008, guy rocks up to me all his camping gear, and tries to slip the badge past my eyes.... I was checking wristbands and scanning tickets, and I know exactly what the Garda wristbands look like, which he would have to have (Even for undercover cops they were wearing them on ankles and such along with "normal" wristbands. )

"I don't have one, I'm undercover"

There happens to be a cop in our hut having tea... was not quite impressed with the young fella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

They use them to ensure they skip the queue and get free entry into coppers... Have seen it many a time over the years

cruais wrote: »
    They use them to ensure they skip the queue and get free entry into coppers... Have seen it many a time over the years

Coppers is run by a former Garda, It's fair enough for him to allow them.

I work a bar, I'd happily allow bar staff in other bars skip the queue/free entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Coppers let all emergency services staff in for free from Gards, to EMT, to fire brigade workers etc. Front line emergency staff do a lot of work for this country and I think its the least they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Coppers let all emergency services staff in for free from Gards, to EMT, to fire brigade workers etc. Front line emergency staff do a lot of work for this country and I think its the least they deserve.

I have relatives working there too , sometimes they let me in for free , sometimes they don't .Mainly when I'm and lonely they let me in.

Is there a charge to get in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I don't think they should be made of gold any more, especially in the current climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mattjack wrote: »
    Is there a charge to get in ?
    Only your self respect...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I don't think they should be made of gold any more, especially in the current climate!

Maybe not Gardai but surely Fire Brigade and EMTs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

reading this thread is really making me wanna be a Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

A girl I went to school with is now a garda and is always seen walking around her local town in her uniform. She also flashes the badge to get into niteclubs for free and will often ring up the local cops and ask for a lift home afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 jim_beam

2 stroke wrote: »
    A garda badge also used get one across the M50, I guess they still work on the other non-automated tolls. Probably works for public transport too.

ive two uncle who are retired guards , i witnessed both of them flash the metal while at the M50 ( before it was made into a flow through )

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You sure about that? If anything we have a relatively well-behaved and uncorrupt police force compared to a lot of countries.

In places like Mexico, Colombia, Thailand etc the police are systemically corrupt. At least we don't have to deal with that.

well you shouldnt benchmark against bad behaviour and you certainly shouldnt benchmark against police forces in third world nations

AGS is a lot more corrupt than most people realise , that may be hard for the people at boards to fathom , ive been following this site for a long time and the level of garda eulogising by the majority of posters verges on the painfully naive and innocent , you would think all of them were corn fed clark kent types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Was the question answered, do they have any actual powers when not on duty?

I'm assuming not, if some guy drinking a few pints or shopping in tesco took out a badge and tried to tell you what to do I'd like to think we'd all tell them where to go and not face any consequences.

• Advertisement

EGriff wrote: »

I'm assuming not, if some guy drinking a few pints or shopping in tesco took out a badge and tried to tell you what to do I'd like to think we'd all tell them where to go and not face any consequences.

they do , my uncle ( a humourless teetotaller ) was at a party with his wife in kildare a few years before he retired , he ordered that the bar be shut once the clock reached past two o clock , his wife regaled the story at a later date which i was present

EGriff wrote: »

They may still have statutory powers, but that wouldn't stop me walking away from a drunk Garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

"Front line emergency staff "get paid a lot by the country too - about €15,000 a year more than ordinary workers....and they get golden pensions which ordinary workers do not get. Time ordinary industrial workers on the average working wage got a fair deal.

"Front line emergency staff "get paid a lot by the country too - about €15,000 a year more than ordinary workers....and they get golden pensions which ordinary workers do not get. Time ordinary industrial workers on the average working wage got a fair deal.

nail on the head , average industrial wage is around 35 k and the average guard and nurse is on around 50 k per year , average guard was on close to 60 k ( including overtime ) at the height of the boom , more than most tradesmen despite all the talk and of course the brickies had no pension plan

thats another thing most people seem unaware of , how much guards actually earn , we often hear their union - spokesperson refer to them as low paid public servants , rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Yes they have the same powers while off duty as they do when on duty with some minor exceptions. Some powers can require the production of ID when used and the Garda is not in uniform.

Are we really going to turn this into a wage debate? Haven't there been enough of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

jim_beam wrote: »
    nail on the head , average industrial wage is around 35 k and the average guard and nurse is on around 50 k per year , average guard was on close to 60 k ( including overtime ) at the height of the boom , more than most tradesmen despite all the talk and of course the brickies had no pension plan

thats another thing most people seem unaware of , how much guards actually earn , we often hear their union - spokesperson refer to them as low paid public servants , rubbish

Neither of them are industrial workers though. I'm happy enough with what they earn and this thread isn't about garda wages is it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Neither of them are industrial workers though. I'm happy enough with what they earn and this thread isn't about garda wages is it.

well seeing as your hunky dory with their wages , il say no more i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

So im still looking for the answer. It is required for them to bring garda i.d.aound when not working or not? I would love to find me one of them badges! Straight into the nearest subway to see if they would footlong my 6 inch!

.wtf?-subway,footlong,six inch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

No, this thread is about privilidges for those already privilidged.
    Gardai flashing badges to bully free passage ( while off duty) on toll roads, in to nteclubs around the country, getting free drink etc is just another kick in the teeth of the ordinary struggling honest worker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

No, this thread is about privilidges for those already privilidged.
    Gardai flashing badges to bully free passage ( while off duty) on toll roads, in to nteclubs around the country, getting free drink etc is just another kick in the teeth of the ordinary struggling honest worker.

There is not free passage on toll roads. And free coffe and entry to CopperFaceJacks is hardly a kick in the teeth to anyone. Build a bridge.

Advertisement