Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

• 05-04-2013 10:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MOD WARNING--
    Guys, can you please keep this thread on topic.
    If your post doesn't relate to this mapping project then please don't post in this thread,
    Any off topic posts will be deleted.

This thread exists to manage the boards.ie crowdsource effort behind mapping the current eircom Fibre to the Cabinet Rollout. In a few weeks we have already found about half of all the cabinets.

The most important thing to remember is that you must be located no more than 1000m from a cabinet in future and ideally ( in order to get to 100mbits or higher) you must be located no more than 500m away.

1. First of all have a look to see whether we have found your nearest cabinet or not. MAIN MAP HERE and this is updated every 2-3 days

2. If you have spotted a cabinet that is NOT on the main map and wish to add it to the map then go HERE and simply:

*Zoom in to where cab is on map

*Press EDIT button top left (you must be logged into gmail to see edit)

*Drag and drop marker to where the cab is.

*Name it , eg "Corner of Avenue and Road Monaghan" or "Beside Pats Chipper"

*Press save where the edit button was.

Done and many thanks.

3. The cabinets are VERY easily spotted. While there are many green cabinets along our roadsides only the eircom VDSL cabinets have a lock, (it looks like a giant hinge), and that is how one recognises them.

Generally the VDSL cabinets are located right alongside an older cable cabinet and sometimes up to 10m away, perhaps in shrubbery or behind a wall near a cable cabinet.

The following photo shows a typical cable cabinet ( left) and a VDSL unit (right)

r1zy1d.jpg

Many thanks to all those who have contributed since we started this mapping effort only a few weeks ago. Between us we have found around half of all the VDSL cabinets and the target is to find and map the other half in time for service launch ( this is anticipated in late May).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This thread exists to manage the boards.ie crowdsource effort behind mapping the current eircom Fibre to the Cabinet Rollout. In a few weeks we have already found about half of all the cabinets.

guys lots of areas in Dublin are missing : North West and South West...let's get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bealtine wrote: »
    guys lots of areas in Dublin are missing : North West and South West...let's get going!

maybe the west side is like this part of Dublin, no new cabinets only planning permissions signs on existing cabinets...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83991457&postcount=2155

these cabinets with the signs can be found:

Donnybrook
    Morehampton Road(1) - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.325933,-6.240159&spn=0.004646,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.325934,-6.242206&panoid=vvDef8KB_VKIX0Qa60nRZQ&cbp=12,186.71,,1,5.89

Morehampton Road (2) - up this lane - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.327801,-6.244255&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.327739,-6.244616&panoid=ZjLdimDQEbfPxdYBB-Jn9w&cbp=12,235.92,,2,12.06

Waterloo Lane - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.331435,-6.244915&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.331483,-6.245191&panoid=PJ_Y1Ux0HMGn4lYFHqTICQ&cbp=12,4.67,,2,15.86

Eglinton road - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.31909,-6.234159&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.319129,-6.23404&panoid=zNlRNbO5XDqozFtm9f4c9Q&cbp=12,185,,1,18.19

Ranelagh
    Sandford Road, Ranelagh (1) - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.318472,-6.241897&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.318325,-6.241705&panoid=rxN2IegAW_wo7M4_vKOLwg&cbp=12,89.98,,1,17.15

Sandford Road, Ranelagh (2) - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.319648,-6.243257&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.31947,-6.243192&panoid=YJrNwtB9m6YqaKOyqUZ42Q&cbp=12,242.47,,1,20.1

Sandford Road, Ranelagh (3) - http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.321537,-6.246535&spn=0.001168,0.002411&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.321606,-6.246651&panoid=p91Cid9UXJqC8DeYCiA8sw&cbp=12,215.86,,1,19.24

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A large swathe of West Dublin from Blanchardstown/Castleknock down to Palmerstown to Tallaght to Ballyboden and Knocklyon ( but not Clondalkin) should be complete by now. That is the main chunk of data we are missing.

Also Kilkenny/Ballina/Westport/Waterford ,maping in most other areas is done or at least well under way where construction has commenced or is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

a few more added in castlebar after a drive around this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Very surprised to see one ~80 metres away from my house today! (Headford Road area, galway) It's been there for months, and me thinking the closest to fiber I'll get will be UPC (which I have) for years.
    I'll map it asap.

• Advertisement

ericom seem to have a big planning related problem in D4 and D6 so I will set an extra challenge to our mappers.

Anybody who can find an installed cabinet in the stretch from Sandymount to Rathmines ( south of the Canal and north of the Dodder) and covered by Beggars Bush and Rathmines exchanges ( and a tad covered by Nutley down around the Dodder near Clonskeagh...please post a photo of this rare beast for us.

For now nobody has found any cabinet in Nutley or Beggars Bush and them supposed to be finished ages ago. Rathmines is not scheduled for launch until late 2013 and is on or behind schedule. Do feel free to look up alleyways near Leeson St etc to see if they hid a few. :)

We are finally getting data from West Dublin, eg Palmerstown Chapelizod Ballyfermot Kilmainham Inchicore Tallaght Knocklyon Ballyboden Blanchardstown Clonsilla and Castleknock , many thanks keep it coming. I'm sure they are around. :)

Nobody in Kilkenny yet, BOO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Nobody in Kilkenny yet, BOO!!!!

Too busy loosing at hurling for mapping:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some cabinets don't have the yellow code sticker on them, but I've noticed that the second set of digits are always (on the ones I've seen anyway) common with the distribution cabinet they're next to. If there's no sticker would it be safe to day that eircom stick with this convention? Or is that just a Cork thing?

TheChizler wrote: »
    If there's no sticker would it be safe to day that eircom stick with this convention? Or is that just a Cork thing?

Nope, that is the convention everywhere. the 3 digit code is most useful if available.

Nope, that is the convention everywhere. the 3 digit code is most useful if available.

Excellent, I'll update soon with what I've collected. Is there anything useful/interesting we can do with the codes? E.g. ping cabs etc?

• Advertisement

Well, just like exchanges at times, some cabs will be out of ports and some won't. eircom cannot add new ports, only new cabs.

So a person using the map ( where cab numbers are present) as a guide can contact any provider before they EG rent a house to ensure they can _actually_ get a service.

If they cannot they should rent elsewhere. Not having quality broadband is dangerous to peoples economic wellbeing nowadays.

Just had a quick drive around small part of D15, found Whitestown, Sheepmore, Fortlawn and Hillbrooks cabinets, none of them seem to be upgraded.

Do they have to be like in the pic?

The one at Fortlawn has the lines/arrows on it, but looks fairly new?

Edit:
    Do they different colours of the map pins signify anything?

Just had a quick drive around small part of D15, found Whitestown, Sheepmore, Fortlawn and Hillbrooks cabinets, none of them seem to be upgraded.

Do they have to be like in the pic?

The one at Fortlawn has the lines/arrows on it, but looks fairly new?

They have have the lock on the side. The lines arrows I take it are on the pavement, then a gang install a concrete plinth as marked there and the cab is installed on top of that.

Leave it a month before you revisit the area, Blanchardstown probably wont be finished till summer although Clonsilla and Castleknock have cabs now.
    Edit:
    Do they different colours of the map pins signify anything?
    Added to sort exchanges afterwards. Don't worry when marking them.

They have have the lock on the side. The lines arrows I take it are on the pavement, then a gang install a concrete plinth as marked there and the cab is installed on top of that.
    Thanks.

No, the lines I mean are on the front of the cabinet, like the one on the left of you pick in the first post. Cabinet has probably got a lick of paint recently.

Edit:
    Don't know if this is relevant, but in Google Streetview there is only one cabient here, but I drove past it earlier and there was two. Didn't take a good look as was just driving past.

Don't know if this is relevant, but in Google Streetview there is only one cabinet here, but I drove past it earlier and there was two. Didn't take a good look as was just driving past.

Just take it handy and get used to spotting them, the lock feature stands out clearly and nobody else has a big lump of a lock on their cabinets except eircom on the VDSL cab. The few ADSL cabs they ever deployed are a pale grey colour.

Once you spot one they seem to be everywhere, honest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Haven't added the point yet, but here's a mockup of where it is.picsay-1365372305_zps8c51003d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Two more around D15 area:

53.392377, -6.438980 Jct. Ongar Distributor Rd. and The Mall
    53.395734, -6.438575 The Ave, Ongar Village opp. Meridian Clinic entrance

Don't know if this is relevant, but in Google Streetview there is only one cabient here, but I drove past it earlier and there was two. Didn't take a good look as was just driving past.

I'll be passing that one in the morning so will verify it.

Codpeas wrote: »
    I'll be passing that one in the morning so will verify it.

Looks like a false alarm. There are now two cabinets at that point but they don't appear to be the ones we're looking for. It appears the old cabinet for these purposes is actually hidden in the bushes at the entrance to the estate rather than down at that end. I didn't notice a new cab there, but will add it to my list of old cabs that I'm keeping an eye on.

• Advertisement

Fibre related (hopefully!) activities going on in Donovan Road in Cork. (Cork Central probably as Quaker Road is done). First Cork Central activity I've seen.

248442.JPG

Edit: Same thing happening in Bishopscourt in Bishopstown, Phase IV is well underway in Cork! I'm getting far too excited by the whole thing, my brother thinks I'm mental, getting him to stop the car whenever I see a green box or eircom van.

Went "cruisin' for cabs" on the way home this evening. (shakes head in disbelief)
    Was targeting 5 old cabs I knew about, but none of them had their new friends (Carpenterstown and Luttrellstown areas).
    Instead spotted these two on the way there:

53.378777, -6.372858 Park Lodge, Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, D15
    53.38472, -6.370566 Navan Road, on way into Blanchardstown Village, D15

And for completeness:

53.393217,-6.388336 Blanchardstown Exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Spotted one in Abbey Park or whatever it's called in Arklow entirely by accident, so now I'm wondering if there's more about. Sadly I have no insurance anymore so I can't borrow the mammy's car and gale around for a bit, and my friends already think I'm enough of a nerd without asking them to drive me around town looking for eircom cabinets :/

Still! if anyone's on the northside of the town or in the Fishery/Churchview area, keep an eye out since I didn't realise they'd done anything around there

anyway, rambling, threw down the one in Abbeyville/Abbey Park and slipped in the telephone exchange since no one else had.

I'm logged in to Gmail but can see any edit button.

Anyway, spotted one today.

Lohunda 53.387318, -6.410219

I was on wrong link, just added Lohunda.

Went "cruisin' for cabs" on the way home this evening. (shakes head in disbelief)
    Was targeting 5 old cabs I knew about, but none of them had their new friends (Carpenterstown and Luttrellstown areas).
    Instead spotted these two on the way there:

53.378777, -6.372858 Park Lodge, Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, D15
    53.38472, -6.370566 Navan Road, on way into Blanchardstown Village, D15

And for completeness:

53.393217,-6.388336 Blanchardstown Exchange
    Just added these three.

Smail problem with duplicate markers NOW sorted. Carry on adding data and many thanks to those who have done so. Ballina went from nowhere to pretty near complete in one swoop today, thanks for that.

Only blanks now are Ballyboden, Kilkenny and Beggars Bush. I think Beggars Bush is stuck in planning from what has been posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Smail problem with duplicate markers, don't worry as this can be sorted. Google have disabled a feture temporarily and I will fix it tomorrow when they re enable it. Carry on adding data and many thanks to those who have done so.

Only blanks now are Ballyboden, Kilkenny and Beggars Bush.

When I head back to the IPA in May, I could probably spend some time one day walking about up there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭allen175

Seen works starting yesterday in Sutton beside existing cabs, will update locations as the works start.

I just got asked an interesting question. I will answer it here for clarity.

Boards.ie and Daft.ie share an owner. I was not put up to this exercise by either Boards or by Daft. The Moderators have very kindly tolerated this mapping exercise _so far_ and may choose not to do so in future.

In most of Ireland property values and general rentability of houses will be INEXTRICABLY linked NOW AND IN FUTURE to proximity to FAST and fibre rich broadband services and therefore Cabinet locations are a vital indicator of the future value of property and of ease of rental of same.

Knowledge economies don't work very well when you have to jiggle the 3 Broadband dongle out a window in a plastic bag of a wet and windy night just to get a signal. :(

Consequently the data collected in this Boards Crowdsource Exercise is permanently available to Daft.ie on an open source and unrestricted basis and with which data they may do as they please.
    We wil only promise to present it as clearly as possible and check it as well as possible.

We only recommend that you personally liable to double check that a cabinet is where indicated on the map before relying on this data but I'll let the legal lads in daft write that as a disclaimer if they wish. :D

• Advertisement

Two more around D15 area:

53.392377, -6.438980 Jct. Ongar Distributor Rd. and The Mall
    53.395734, -6.438575 The Ave, Ongar Village opp. Meridian Clinic entrance

Hmmm, if the exchange boundaries on the NGA Access map on the eircom wholesale site are correct then it would appear that these two fall under the Clonee exchange rather than Blanchardstown as they are currently mapped here.

Clonee exchange is marked as Phase 1 so the build-out should be complete - which means I've got some more cab hunting to do...

Can I trust those exchange boundaries to narrow the search?

Advertisement