Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards carrying badges off duty

Options
  • 06-04-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

So i was talking with a friend today, i asked why do guards risk losing thier ID badge only to be told that Guards are never off duty and must carry the badge around.

Now the guy i was talking to is not a guard nor ever was so i kind of find it hard to believe him, does this mean if a guard has 6 pints of beer in him and whips out his badge, i must do as he says???

Sorry pal, i dont think so!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

LOL @ "whips out his badge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

..if a guard has 6 pints of beer in him and whips out his badge, i must do as he says???

Ayyy, sounds like a fun night indeed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I imagine it to be as cool as you like as seen in the tv shows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was in the company of an off duty guard (friend of a friend) in dublin one night and he decided after a few drinks himself to take out his badge and throw out a couple that were apparently annoying him,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭amacca

does this mean if a guard has 6 pints of beer in him and whips out his badge, i must do as he says???

yes john, yes it does...that my friend is the law.......

question is do you want to be a law abiding citizen of this country or some sort of glorified outlaw type robbing from the rich and keeping it for yourself

I already know your answer and it makes me sick John...sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Was in the company of an off duty guard (friend of a friend) in dublin one night and he decided after a few drinks himself to take out his badge and throw out a couple that were apparently annoying him,

In fairness, id tell him to go and ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

It is a Warrant Card or Garda ID....not a badge.
    A Garda can be on or off duty but can never be 'not a Garda' unless either suspended or leaves the force.
    Guards have to make a judgement call before getting involved in an official capacity while off duty and with alcohol on board.
    It is a career ending move if it happens without good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Why would you have to do what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

How many badges did he have ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

So i was talking with a friend today, i asked why do guards risk losing thier ID badge only to be told that Guards are never off duty and must carry the badge around.

Now the girl i was talking to is not a guard nor ever was so i kind of find it hard to believe her, does this mean if this guard has 6 pints of beer in her and whips out her vadge, i must do as she says???

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

- "Buy me a pint."

"No way Joe."

*whips out badge*

"God damn it anyway Joe."

*trudges to bar* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Reminds me of the off duty detective that left his service revolver on top of a urinal a few years ago ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

You'll be grand once it's only his badge he whips out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Hitchens

taking out the badge is not enough -

- according to The Civic Guard Act 1927 , Section 2B, a guard must 'whip' out his badge in a decisive manner! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They're a great bunch for doing it at nightclub doors in order to gain free entry.I wonder does that constitute official Garda business?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Some of the female garda I wouldnt mind giving their badges a lick........................the fat ones Id shoot the beans over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

FTA69 wrote: »
    They're a great bunch for doing it at nightclub doors in order to gain free entry.I wonder does that constitute official Garda business?

Yeah, I've a friend that always brings it out with him to gain free entry into nightclubs. He says that the nightclub see it as an extra form of security and that's why they let him in for free.

He lost it one night while on the beer and it was handed into a local Garda Station. Apparently he got a right bollocking from his Super for having it on him while he was out on the beer.

Security has little to do with it; if a venue has a team of 10+ doormen the last thing they need is a couple of p*ssed up culchie guards as back-up. It's about keeping the local cops onside as if you're a publican/club owner you will have to deal with them on a regular basis and you most certainly don't want to earn their enmity. If you p*ss off the cops too much they have the power to do untold damage to your business, rightly or wrongly.

Personally I never gave a sh*t about leaving the cops in for free when I was a doorman, it wasn't my cash at the end of the day. What wound me up was when they walked straight up to the door and flashed the badge like they were in Miami Vice or something. I've also seen more than one fight wholly instigated by drunk cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This reminds me of a case in 2009 were a Gardai flashed his badge.
    "He [Waldron] then said 'do you know who you are dealing with?' I told him 'I don't care who you are' and he got out and walked around to where I was sitting in the back and pulled out a metal garda badge," Ms Collins said.

"After shoving the garda badge in my face, he hit me three times with the bottom part of his hand into my chin. I was in shock."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/assault-case-against-garda-dismissed-on-technicality-26516996.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭amacca

What wound me up was when they walked straight up to the door and flashed the badge like they were in Miami Vice or something.

ah yes, I can visualise it now..its a cold november evening, windy, pissing rain and john and brian the gards rock up to the door sporting damp sports jackets in pastel colours the sleeves rolled up to their elbows, their forearms blue with the cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I remember hitting up with a guard one night. Things were going sound and I said I was going out for a fag. To make sure I came back to him, he gave me his badge and even though I was with him later, I never gave it back to him. So the next morning I woke up with a fuzzy head, 7 missed calls and 3 panicked voicemails from himself about this badge. I was hardly going to run away with it but he said he'd be in hot shiite if anything happened it. Still can't understand the big need to bring it out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Pussies on the pavement !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

some places give discounts to garda so that why they bring it, Like coppers free in for garda.

Katunga wrote: »
    some places give discounts to garda so that why they bring it, Like coppers free in for garda.

B*llocks. They bring it out to blag their way into clubs for free regardless. There's nowhere that does "deals for guards".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

B*llocks. They bring it out to blag their way into clubs for free regardless. There's nowhere that does "deals for guards".

McD's\ BK and the local garage do *unofficially*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

If it meant a free Double Whopper meal,i`d staple the bloody thing to my chesttongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Statoil when they were in business used to give out free coffees to any guards.

It helped to have the extra visits for security.

gurramok wrote: »
    McD's\ BK and the local garage do *unofficially*.

It pays to keep the cops onside. In other words, they use their position to get free stuff and services. Unfortunately in a night-club context they often look like like complete asshats while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

wyndhurst wrote: »
    It is a Warrant Card or Garda ID....not a badge.
    A Garda can be on or off duty but can never be 'not a Garda' unless either suspended or leaves the force.
    Guards have to make a judgement call before getting involved in an official capacity while off duty and with alcohol on board.
    It is a career ending move if it happens without good cause.
    back in the day the gaurds based in my area were a law unto themselves, i was in a pub late one night, an arguement broke out between a group of guys, the usual drink was doing the talking, one of the group left, a guard in civvies, fifteen minutes later he arrived back in uniform, where he proceeded to take the names of everyone on the premises for after hours drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

flutered wrote: »
    back in the day the gaurds based in my area were a law unto themselves, i was in a pub late one night, an arguement broke out between a group of guys, the usual drink was doing the talking, one of the group left, a guard in civvies, fifteen minutes later he arrived back in uniform, where he proceeded to take the names of everyone on the premises for after hours drinking.
    I once told an off duty guard i forgot to pay my TV Licence...an hour later he arrived in uniform and threw my television out the window.

Advertisement