Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff happened longer ago then you think...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Kurt Cobain is dead 19 years this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Mika hakkinen retired 12 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

hollster2 wrote: »
    Go on admit it you wore them backwards haaa those were the days!

I'm pretty sure I have a pair of petro motion barcodes somewhere. Does anyone remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Solair wrote: »
    The Super Nintendo (SNES) is 21 years old (in Europe)

and we've had digital TV (in the form of Sky Digital) for 15 years.

I remember when we first got Sky in the house. The father retired and bought a 32" Panasonic TV with Sky Digital.

I stayed up til about seven in the morning watching sh1te and couldn't believe the amount of channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The release of My Generation by The Who is closer in time to World War 1 than it is to the present day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

italia 90 such memories full pockets full bars women mad for it

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Avril Lavigne has been on the scene 11 years...

The MTV European Music Awards were held in Dublin 14 years ago...

S Club 7 came to fame 14 years ago and broke up 10 years ago...

The New Radicals song "You Get What You Give" was 15 years ago...

Hansons' "Mmmbop" was 16 years ago...

Titanic was in cinemas 16 years ago...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer started on TV 16 years ago and ended 10 years ago...

Clueless was in cinemas 18 years ago...

The first X-Men movie came out 13 years ago (and now Hugh Jackman is starring in the same role in The Wolverine, even though it is meant to be a prequel?!?!)

In conclusion... I have terrible taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Davyhal wrote: »
    Avril Lavigne has been on the scene 11 years...

The MTV European Music Awards were held in Dublin 14 years ago...

S Club 7 came to fame 14 years ago and broke up 10 years ago...

The New Radicals song "You Get What You Give" was 15 years ago...

Hansons' "Mmmbop" was 16 years ago...

Titanic was in cinemas 16 years ago...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer started on TV 16 years ago and ended 10 years ago...

Clueless was in cinemas 18 years ago...

The first X-Men movie came out 13 years ago (and now Hugh Jackman is starring in the same role in The Wolverine, even though it is meant to be a prequel?!?!)

In conclusion... I have terrible taste...

The Wolverine isnt a prequel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wolverine is a prequel. It's when he gets the adamantium skeleton and then loses his memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's only 25 years since Telecom Éireann digitalised the last fully manual telephone exchange ! until may 1987 Mountshannon still had telephones that required a handle to be turned (no dials, no numbers on buttons),

Thought that would have been much longer ago!!

As much as we bitch and moan, we've come a long way from that to posting on boards on mobile broadband on your iPhone while deciding in whether to order a macchiato or a cappuccino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

This is 16 years old this year, remember getting my first 088 phone at Christmas of 97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

How long is a generation?
    25 years is considered a generation (i.e. average age of when people have thei first child)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

50 years since Kennedy was shot this November.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

smash wrote: »
    Wolverine is a prequel. It's when he gets the adamantium skeleton and then loses his memory.

The Wolverine isnt a prequel.X men origins wolverine is the prequel

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Ah, turns out you are right! I just presumed it was a prequel cos in the comics, Wolverine's period in Japan was before he met the X-Men. Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Radiohead's first album is 20 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Davyhal wrote: »
    Ah, turns out you are right! I just presumed it was a prequel cos in the comics, Wolverine's period in Japan was before he met the X-Men. Whoops!

I thought the movie was a sequel to the 2009 movie aswell (but still being a prequel to the xmen movies)

But nope it's officially set after xmen 3. Thats probably better. Hate all this prequel crap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

12 years ago since the Grand Theft Auto series went 3D with GTAIII
    11 years since Vice City
    9 years since San Andreas
    Even the most recent major update of the series GTAIV and all it's hype is 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In my day we had proper wrestlers.

Wouldnt give Big Daddy the pleasure of being called a "wrestler" :pac:

Him, along with his brother, ran the promotion behind "World Of Sport" back in the day and it's wildly reported that they kept all the money to themselves. Paying most wrestlers scraps.

It's also a 'coincidence' that he was a top guy in the promotion he owned with his brother ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

TCC. 15 years. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Beetlejuice is 25 years old this year. Love that film!!

And Tim Burton's Batman will be 24 years old this June!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jurassic Park is twenty years old.

Despite my knowledge that this is indisputable fact, my brain can't accept it.

In Back to the Future II (made 24 yrs ago now), Marty and the Doc travel 'forward in time' to 2015.
    Tragically, I suspect I'm nowhere near a mere two years away owning that hoverboard I so desperately wanted back in 1889, worse still, if by some miracle that I am, I've just realised that I'm now more likely to break a hip then ride it successfully..... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

1990 was 23 years ago :(

It only feels like yesterday when Italia 90 was on and about 20 of us were up on top of a bus shelter rocking the bollox out of it after David O Leary scored that peno.

I was 9

I remember Italia90. That was when England were just a penalty shootout away from reaching the Final.

Our opening match was against Republic of Ireland, who I think were playing in their first ever World Cup, and it was a drab 1-1 draw. "Is this all there is to England?" asked Rome newspaper La Repubblica.

Fortunately there was more, much more.

A brilliant England team feturing the likes of Lineker, Beardsley, Shilton, Pearce and Gascoigne then went unbeaten in their next four games to get all the way to the Semi-Final against arch-rivals West Germany. Brehme put the Germans 1-0 up after 60 minutes but Lineker equalised in the 80th minute. The match finished 1-1 and remained like that after extra time. So it went to penalties with both teams scoring their first three. West Germany then took a 4-3 lead meaning that Chris Waddle needed to score. He didn't, and unfortunately England went out and Gazza was in floods of tears.

But we were THAT close to the Final - if Waddle had scored his penalty we may have got there - and in the Final it would then have been nice to get revenge on the Argies for the Falklands and the Hand of God.

Apart from England almost winning it, though, Italia90 was the worst world Cup ever. I think less goals were scored in that World Cup than in any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

LindowMan wrote: »
    Apart from England almost winning it, though, Italia90 was the worst world Cup ever. I think less goals were scored in that World Cup than in any other.

LOLZ! You have to get to the final to almost win it.

My highlight was Gazza crying. Glorious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    LOLZ! You have to get to the final to almost win it.

My highlight was Gazza crying. Glorious.

My highlight was getting so close to winning the thing whilst your boys lost against Italy in the Quarter Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

LindowMan wrote: »
    My highlight was getting so close to winning the thing whilst your boys lost against Italy in the Quarter Final.

Italy beat you lot too as far as I remember and considering ye didn't even manage third place I don't think ye were that close to winning it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I remember listening to the radio and hearing this song and thinking it was decent, the radio DJ cut across with "and that's Angels, new single by Robbie Williams". My initial thoughts were "can't believe i hummed along to a Robbie song". Wasn't exactly cool as a 15 year old to like anything Take That related :pac:

Almost 16 years and 8.9 trillion air plays ago now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

The Euro is with us 11 years. It's genuinely like it was yesterday. I still can't help but think I was ripped of during the transition period, especially when I had a skin full in the pubs and night clubs.

Almost 20 years since Riverdance. The laughs that were to be had in the night clubs when almost everyone on the dance floor danced in debatable sync the night it played on the Eurovision and for many weeks after. I don't think I'll ever experience like that again (even when there's just totally fookin stoopid tunes like that gangnam style).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

conorhal wrote: »
    In Back to the Future II (made 24 yrs ago now), Marty and the Doc travel 'forward in time' to 2015.
    Tragically, I suspect I'm nowhere near a mere two years away owning that hoverboard I so desperately wanted back in 1889, worse still, if by some miracle that I am, I've just realised that I'm now more likely to break a hip then ride it successfully..... :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mattel-Back-Future-Hoverboard/dp/B00ADNJQXQ/

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1885mhxs61udygif/medium.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fry's Chocolate Cream bar was launched 147 years ago.
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    Young ones nowadays aren't familiar with the joy that was Saved by The Bell!

Screeche's sex tape "Screeched – Saved by the smell." is 7 years old. -yes he did one...

Advertisement