Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman hospitalised after third assault

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Love2u wrote: »
    Your jumping the gun again! Where is the domestic abuse coming from? Has this been confirmed? I think not, so i will not engage in such talk.

Has anything apart from her injuries been confirmed yet?

I'd rather not discuss in great detail such allegations but my hand was forced by another poster who insisted I explain my "insinuations".

Thing is, nobody knows for sure what happened apart from the victim and her attacker(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

old hippy wrote: »

Has anything apart from her injuries been confirmed yet?

I'd rather not discuss in great detail such allegations but my hand was forced by another poster who insisted I explain my "insinuations".

Thing is, nobody knows for sure what happened apart from the victim and her attacker(s).

Did you read this ? It's in the local papers :
    It's about all the information we have right now, unless we want to take heed of the hundreds of rumours going around.

Áine Ryan
    aineryan@mayonews.ie

DESPITE reports in a national newspaper on Monday, Castlebar gardaí last night confirmed they were continuing their investigation into the sequence of vicious assaults, the most recent last Friday night, on 36 year-old local businesswoman, Regina Sweeney.
    A garda spokeswoman told The Mayo News she was not aware of yesterday’s (Monday) Irish Independent report claiming that the force was winding down the investigation and had not identified any suspects that may have been involved in the alleged attacks.
    The spokeswoman said members of Castlebar station were continuing to investigate all three assaults and were now appealing to any witnesses for information regarding the assault at Ms Sweeney’s home last Friday evening around 5.15pm (contact 094 90 22222). She was hospitalised after hooded men attacked her at her home in Breaffy, where she also runs a bridal boutique. The Mayo News understands her injuries in this instance were minor.
    The garda spokeswoman declined to comment on whether a knife or syringe were used in the attack or if the assailants were the same in each attack. Ms Sweeney is married to a local garda detective and is the daughter of the late Liam Coady, who was Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s driver when he was leader of the Opposition. She was originally attacked and robbed last December by two men wearing balaclavas. She subsequently partook in a Late Late Show panel discussion on the rise of rural crime.
    The second attack also took place at her home where she was allegedly taunted by two attackers who said she ‘wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly’.

HAVE YOUR SAY email aineryan@mayonews.ie with your comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Did you read this ? It's in the local papers :
    It's about all the information we have right now, unless we want to take heed of the hundreds of rumours going around.

Áine Ryan
    aineryan@mayonews.ie

DESPITE reports in a national newspaper on Monday, Castlebar gardaí last night confirmed they were continuing their investigation into the sequence of vicious assaults, the most recent last Friday night, on 36 year-old local businesswoman, Regina Sweeney.
    A garda spokeswoman told The Mayo News she was not aware of yesterday’s (Monday) Irish Independent report claiming that the force was winding down the investigation and had not identified any suspects that may have been involved in the alleged attacks.
    The spokeswoman said members of Castlebar station were continuing to investigate all three assaults and were now appealing to any witnesses for information regarding the assault at Ms Sweeney’s home last Friday evening around 5.15pm (contact 094 90 22222). She was hospitalised after hooded men attacked her at her home in Breaffy, where she also runs a bridal boutique. The Mayo News understands her injuries in this instance were minor.
    The garda spokeswoman declined to comment on whether a knife or syringe were used in the attack or if the assailants were the same in each attack. Ms Sweeney is married to a local garda detective and is the daughter of the late Liam Coady, who was Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s driver when he was leader of the Opposition. She was originally attacked and robbed last December by two men wearing balaclavas. She subsequently partook in a Late Late Show panel discussion on the rise of rural crime.
    The second attack also took place at her home where she was allegedly taunted by two attackers who said she ‘wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly’.

HAVE YOUR SAY email aineryan@mayonews.ie with your comments

Thats the third time you posted this local newsrag report, do you work for it?

Thats the third time you posted this local newsrag report, do you work for it?

I posted it three times as people in here are getting very carried away with their keyboards and they are refusing to read black and white! The Gardai are still continuing with the investigation, end of story. We don't know who did it, we don't know if it was the same people again but we have to wait until the Gardai tell us more.

No I don't work for the newspaper. I'm in a total different industry. But I do live near Castlebar and that's all the information there is right now.

I posted it three times as people in here are getting very carried away with their keyboards and they are refusing to read black and white! The Gardai are still continuing with the investigation, end of story. We don't know who did it, we don't know if it was the same people again but we have to wait until the Gardai tell us more.

No I don't work for the newspaper. I'm in a total different industry. But I do live near Castlebar and that's all the information there is right now.

As someone who worked in journalism, I can safely vouch for the "don't believe everything you read in the papers" argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i heard something today about this
    wondering when it will break

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

As someone who worked in journalism, I can safely vouch for the "don't believe everything you read in the papers" argument.
    Fairly sweeping generalisation statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Tigger wrote: »
    Oh go on, share.;)

Oh go on, share.;)

no and sorry but no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

no and sorry but no

What was the point of your post then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

no and sorry but no
    So you come on a public forum to tell people your not going to tell them what you know!

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I'm sure it's the same rumour i heard last week.

TillyGirl wrote: »

hoping someone else has heard and will confirm it
    So you come on a public forum to tell people your not going to tell them what you know!

LOL!

happy to amuse

HondaSami wrote: »
    I'm sure it's the same rumour i heard last week.

what did you hear :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Btw, what's very sad is victims of repeat violence often cannot bring themselves to face the truth. Whatever that truth maybe. If that applies here. I certainly believe she has been assaulted, violently. But by whom?
    How about the scenario of domestic abuse and Does it have to be spelled out?

^^ all the above I bundled into one quote btw.

You really are painting quite a picture of yourself. Keep it up its good people get to see the face of what true liberalism is like.

So you godwined the thread by calling people fascists. Youve insulted posters and made up stuff about wishing that your family nad friends and relations dead.
    You're insinating the violence was caused by her husband beating her up.
    Youve rabbited on about Police dictorships in South America comparing our guards to these.

Every post by you has been designed with one purpose in mind to confuse and mix up peoples perception of this thread.
    Appeal to the emotional side of people by make outlandish statements, falsehoods and accusations.

Make them unaware that the topic of this conversation was flowing in a general consensus that scumbags have too much rights.
    and that repeat offenders dont give a fcuk about what politics you are, just the size of whats in your wallet. or Ivory Tower for that matter. But how do you get in an ivory tower anyway??

kupus wrote: »
    ^^ all the above I bundled into one quote btw.

You really are painting quite a picture of yourself. Keep it up its good people get to see the face of what true liberalism is like.

So you godwined the thread by calling people fascists. Youve insulted posters and made up stuff about wishing that your family nad friends and relations dead.
    You're insinating the violence was caused by her husband beating her up.
    Youve rabbited on about Police dictorships in South America comparing our guards to these.

Every post by you has been designed with one purpose in mind to confuse and mix up peoples perception of this thread.
    Appeal to the emotional side of people by make outlandish statements, falsehoods and accusations.

Make them unaware that the topic of this conversation was flowing in a general consensus that scumbags have too much rights.
    and that repeat offenders dont give a fcuk about what politics you are, just the size of whats in your wallet. or Ivory Tower for that matter. But how do you get in an ivory tower anyway??

More lies and obfuscation.

Sorry to upset your general consensus but not all of us want your utopia of Garda carrying out punishment beatings and the like.

You know exactly what you said about how us and our families would suffer if we didn't subscribe to your vision of how things should be.

I think you're the confused one here.

Pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Kupus just made the point, correctly, that if we sow the wind we will reap the whirlwind. If you keep choosing to twist his words to suit your obvious agenda of darkening his character and opinions then it is you who is doing the lying and obfuscating.

To harp on about an imagined slight against you and your families because you can't understand an abstract point says a lot about you.

catallus wrote: »
    Kupus just made the point, correctly, that if we sow the wind we will reap the whirlwind. If you keep choosing to twist his words to suit your obvious agenda of darkening his character and opinions then it is you who is doing the lying and obfuscating.

To harp on about an imagined slight against you and your families because you can't understand an abstract point says a lot about you.

"Seriously liberals, ye're all getting your knickers in a twist over giving these scum human rights.
    I dont like saying this, but some day in the future this is coming back to you, your family or your friends, and the consequences will not be nice."

So, the above means that if we practice human rights we're going to reap the whirlwind? Lovely.

It says a lot about you that you champion a poster who has a history of bias against liberals and what s/he calls the "loony left". This kind of form doesn't need me to darken his "character".

Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That point is uttter sh!te, a significant amount of my clients have anywhere from 10 tp 60 convictions. I don't fear for eith myself or my family due to this so called whirlwind.

My biggest concern is the p!ss poor state of rehabilitation facilities in this country.

When I see stuff like we need to show these criminal we mean business and not be afaird to slap some good into them, it just shows me how little people know.

More lies and obfuscation.
    Sorry to upset your general consensus but not all of us want your utopia of Garda carrying out punishment beatings (sock it to da man hippy) and the like.
    You know exactly what you said about how us and our families would suffer if we didn't subscribe to your vision of how things should be.
    I think you're the confused one here.
    Pay attention.

Where is the lies in what I wrote, you said all those things maybe its because your hatred of guards that blinds you.

Here is in full what I said:
    wrote:
    How many instances of scum with previous convictions out and around to hurt maim and kill ordinary decent folk.
    A young kid killed on a bike by a guy with around 60 convictions
    A young swiss girl raped and murdered by a guy who had killed before.
    Seriously liberals, ye're all getting your knickers in a twist over giving these scum human rights.
    I dont like saying this, but some day in the future this is coming back to you, your family or your friends, and the consequences will not be nice.

Here was my next post:
    wrote:
    Farmers sleep in their beds with guns underneath their bed.
    where cops wives are hammered and beaten for nothing.
    Where a cop has been shot dead for doing his job. Also I predict more will be shot at within a year or two.
    Why do you think I like saying something like that. Unless you live in an Ivory Tower with walled estates. THis will come back on ALL of us.

no confusion here kid, just eyes and ears that are wide open.
    Never ONCE did you comment on the people killed by repeat offenders.
    But then again that wouldnt look good in your rants.

It says a lot about you that you champion a poster who has a history of bias against liberals and what s/he calls the "loony left". This kind of form doesn't need me to darken his "character".
    Try harder.
    ^^^^^^What I have a "bias" with is liberal bull**** and bolloxology. And the way that your very quick to use the Liberal WMD, namely......
    Deflect, Distort and Defame anybody who opposes or stands up to you.

and just for you hippy...
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-polish-couple-462234.html#ixzz0rDacih5J
    http://www.emigrant.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8907&Itemid=24
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/repeat-offender-left-trail-of-misery-in-his-wake-26539633.html
    http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/pals-punched-in-street-attack-by-repeat-offender-27928976.html
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/repeat-offender-sentenced-to-eight-years-for-violent-balbriggan-burglary-532406.html
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/suspended-sentence-for-repeat-offender-1-4881728
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/repeat-offender-banned-from-driving-for-25-years-28975946.html
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/52291/repeat-offender-jailed-
    http://www.photos.galwaynews.ie/8446-tuam-repeat-offender-gets-year-prison-drink-driving
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/repeat-offender-sentenced-to-eight-years-for-violent-balbriggan-burglary-532406.html
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/repeat-offender-sent-to-prison-for-four-months-27339372.html
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-of-estonian-430499.html#ixzz0U9SHUxRD

What is the common thread running through these stories? Whats that hippy, I cant hear you, can you say it louder.
    Ok I'll say it for you ....REPEAT OFFENDERS

Thank you catallus for putting it in a nicer way than I ever could say.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

TillyGirl wrote: »

Reinforce his/her prickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

You always know you have a really solid argument when resort to bold+caps+large font.

Ironically the only people I know IRL who would support the vigilante thuggery suggested here are either gangland scumbags or those with provos connections.

Odysseus wrote: »
    That point is uttter sh!te, a significant amount of my clients have anywhere from 10 tp 60 convictions. I don't fear for eith myself or my family due to this so called whirlwind.

My biggest concern is the p!ss poor state of rehabilitation facilities in this country.

When I see stuff like we need to show these criminal we mean business and not be afaird to slap some good into them, it just shows me how little people know.

Years ago when the news reporter was killed gilligan and his friends were all laughing directly into the faces of the guards. calling them up on their phones and boasting about all the clothes and money they had.

Next comes the part where cops are been beaten up by gangs and threatened at their homes.

Natural evolution of this is a shooting of cops. Which sadly has already begun.

Now the way gangs work is that one gang has done something outrageous so now the next gang have to do something more to top the first gang.....
    so now small scale crimanaliity is spreading its wings ready to come to a town, parish village next to you. While the big boys continue on their own path.

What makes you think they give a fcuk about you, and wont fcuk you over the first chance they get?
    So can you tell me exactly what you would do if you had the power to do what you wanted??? in regards to this...."My biggest concern is the p!ss poor state of rehabilitation facilities in this country. "

kupus wrote: »
    Years ago when the news reporter was killed gilligan and his friends were all laughing directly into the faces of the guards. calling them up on their phones and boasting about all the clothes and money they had.

Next comes the part where cops are been beaten up by gangs and threatened at their homes.

Natural evolution of this is a shooting of cops. Which sadly has already begun.

Now the way gangs work is that one gang has done something outrageous so now the next gang have to do something more to top the first gang.....
    so now small scale crimanaliity is spreading its wings ready to come to a town, parish village next to you. While the big boys continue on their own path.

What makes you think they give a fcuk about you, and wont fcuk you over the first chance they get?
    So can you tell me exactly what you would do if you had the power to do what you wanted??? in regards to this...."My biggest concern is the p!ss poor state of rehabilitation facilities in this country. "

First thing I would do is try address the lack of rehab in this counrty, so as to try address the issue of repeat offenses you seem to like so much.

As to how it would be designed well there are much better qualified people than in the area of criminology and forensics they are the real experts.

I do know that it takes me up to 7-9 months for me to get a subject into a detox unit, that a very sucessful rehab project in the city centre has waiting lists just as long.

I see people turning their lifes around through rehab, I have seen plenty of lads get a "community intervention" and as soon as they where physically capable of crime again they where off.

Also we need better prisons so that we actually have somewhere to lock up those ones that need to locked up, rather than them getting a turn around due ta lack of space, or only serving a 10-20% of their sentense again because of lack of space.

Supporting rehab does not mean you think people should not serve time, I do plenty of court reports and those who don't try to change, well the court is told that. However, if and when they are ready to address their life, well services should be their for them.

Then we may start to get somewhere, because knocking the bollocks out of someone won't do it.

However, this is a very complex problem and their will be no easy solutions to it, however, until we get a quality service that fully encompasses punishment and rehabilitation we are going no where fast.

First thing I would do is try address the lack of rehab in this counrty, so as to try address the issue of repeat offenses you seem to like so much.

As to how it would be designed well there are much better qualified people than in the area of criminology and forensics they are the real experts.

I do know that it takes me up to 7-9 months for me to get a subject into a detox unit, that a very sucessful rehab project in the city centre has waiting lists just as long.

I see people turning their lifes around through rehab, I have seen plenty of lads get a "community intervention" and as soon as they where physically capable of crime again they where off.

Also we need better prisons so that we actually have somewhere to lock up those ones that need to locked up, rather than them getting a turn around due ta lack of space, or only serving a 10-20% of their sentense again because of lack of space.

Supporting rehab does not mean you think people should not serve time, I do plenty of court reports and those who don't try to change, well the court is told that. However, if and when they are ready to address their life, well services should be their for them.

Then we may start to get somewhere, because knocking the bollocks out of someone won't do it.

However, this is a very complex problem and their will be no easy solutions to it, however, until we get a quality service that fully encompasses punishment and rehabilitation we are going no where fast.

I'm sorry to butt in on this but the reality is that some of these people in question are taught in the womb how to steal and to be criminals, it's their culture and its all they know, they grew up with this lifestyle. They have no interest in rehab. You can't change the stripes on a zebras back!!

I'm sorry to butt in on this but the reality is that some of these people in question are taught in the womb how to steal and to be criminals, it's their culture and its all they know, they grew up with this lifestyle. They have no interest in rehab. You can't change the stripes on a zebras back!!

Taught in the womb, well that is a new one on me.

However, for those who are not going to change and the do of course exist, well that why I said we need more and better quality prison spaces.

We also need a better quality victim support service, however, that is a different topic.

As I said we need a comprhensive justice and rehabilitation service, we support those who are capable and ready and we humanely punish those who aren't.

That is without even getting into diversion programmes which try to highlight those at risk and engage with them before the end up in court.

All of this costs though.

However, for those who are not going to change and the do of course exist, well that why I said we need more and better quality prison spaces.

We also need a better quality victim support service, however, that is a different topic.

As I said we need a comprhensive justice and rehabilitation service, we support those who are capable and ready and we humanely punish those who aren't.

That is without even getting into diversion programmes which try to highlight those at risk and engage with them before the end up in court.

Can you/would you comment on the following from a user (not my words). This is a copy and paste from someone else

Quote: kupus

Do people realize that its the courts that is one of the main problems here, besides the socio-economic impact, its a money maker for lawyers, judges, social welfare officers, phycologists etc....

A fcukin mini industry with repeat customers offenders, working within the confines of the law, and being masked by the very law its supposed to uphold.
    And who's going to rock the boat to say what I say, when plenty of people are involved in making money out of this?

Can you/would you comment on the following from a user (not my words). This is a copy and paste from someone else

Quote: kupus

Do people realize that its the courts that is one of the main problems here, besides the socio-economic impact, its a money maker for lawyers, judges, social welfare officers, phycologists etc....

A fcukin mini industry with repeat customers offenders, working within the confines of the law, and being masked by the very law its supposed to uphold.
    And who's going to rock the boat to say what I say, when plenty of people are involved in making money out of this?

I would say that people who think I don't want my clients to recover and take their place in society is very ignorant in relation to the work that I and plenty of other professionals do.

Not matter how good I am at my job I can't see it being possible to work my way out of clients, there will always be plenty of clients. Anyway helping some to address their criminality is only one aspect of my work; I would also work with people who have never been before the courts or may have a history of sexual or physical violence.

What else can really be said here to be fair, it is a opinion; but a rather poor one. Sure, what would the garda do without people engaging in criminal activity? So do they fall into the same group?

If we had a system where prison was not a nice place to be in people may think twice about Perpetrating a crime. Now prisons have become a second home for many. Why do prisons have such luxuries in them. We don't need more spaces in prisons, we need harsher systems in place and that for sure will make empty prisons. A lot less cost for the tax payer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

If we had a system where prison was not a nice place to be in people may think twice about Perpetrating a crime. Now prisons have become a second home for many. Why do prisons have such luxuries in them. We don't need more spaces in prisons, we need harsher systems in place and that for sure will make empty prisons. A lot less cost for the tax payer.

Yes, all those countries with harsh prison conditions are utopian paradises with no repeat offenders.

Advertisement