Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heljic

Plenty of time before the 19th of June to prepare for DCG. Don't dwell on the mock outcome for too long, need to keep going! On the bright side, going to the States the following day. Nice relaxing way to end the Leaving Cert; if the work is put in .. there won't be any need for panicking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Barster wrote: »
    Anybody have any tips for the project as a whole? , need at least a B2 in the subject need all the help I can get thanks greatly apprecited :D , starting output 1 as we speak ... any design ideas?

Haha what happened to the 18th January deadline??

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Niiall wrote: »

Check the date of the post ...thats what happened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Niiall wrote: »

chronologically-challenged? you're not alone don't suffer in silence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Had my DCG mock today, DISASTER! There was an easy enough question but I had been preparing so much for a hard question that when this easy one came up I didn't know what to do :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Had my DCG mock today, DISASTER! There was an easy enough question but I had been preparing so much for a hard question that when this easy one came up I didn't know what to do :(

I know the feeling :/ Had mine yesterday , it was exhausting to say the least , constantly drawing and thinking for 3 hours , needless to say my french exam after was terrible. As for DCG it was okay , i got lets say the "jist" of most questions , Slightly annoying though the teachers change the questions to suit what we had covered , meaning it wasnt an actual mock , yeah it was easier but not realistic :/ Drawing can be so hard at times ..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thebigbickman

What questions did ye get ?

What questions did ye get ?
    I'm not posting it up here for the benefit of people who don't want to know what they are going to have in their mocks but I could PM you?

I'm not posting it up here for the benefit of people who don't want to know what they are going to have in their mocks but I could PM you?

ever hear of spoiler
    SPOILER!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Or post it, spoilered in the Mocks thread - it would be a novelty amongst the plethora of rubbish posts.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Or post it, spoilered in the Mocks thread - it would be a novelty amongst the plethora of rubbish posts.

"plethora" hmm... seems out of context there... anyway ya put up the spoiler dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"plethora" hmm... seems out of context there... anyway ya put up the spoiler dude

plethora, an excess of

not really out of context - bang on I'd say.
    Thanks in advance Eurovisionmad (Brighton, April 6th 1974)

plethora, an excess of

"relating to blood" - unless there is murder taking place on the mocks thread, I would be hesitant to say it's bang on!!

plethora, an excess of

have only heard it through junior cert science though so having googled it, I see it is acceptable as "an excess of" - apologies.

Please man, thanks :)

Okay I'll post it here with a spoiler here as I don't want to go onto the mocks thread myself for fear of polluting my eyes with something I don't want to see myself ;)
    Okay so for the short questions in Section A, these are all of the top of my head as I had to hand that sheet up, there was a Shortest Distance between two skew lines question, there was a parabola given the point and axis (I think) and it required you to also find the center of curvature at that point, there was pictorial view (which I don't know much about cause we haven't done it yet!) and lastly there was a lamina and you had to locate the traces and show the true angle I think.

For Section B-1 there's a trimetric projection question of a sort of rounded post box. For B-2 there's and interpenetration of two triangular prisms, one of course is at an angle so you have to do an auxiliary and finally for B-3 there's a lamina question, this is where I messed up so hugely, you're given two planes ABC and BCD and you have to find the dihedral angle, determine the traces and the true shape of ABC, I was so prepared for two planes with no common point to get a plane with two common points put my off hugely and I couldn't remember how to do it! :o

Now we only have dynamic mechanisms done so far so I'm only sort of describing the others as I see them for C-2 there's a hyperbolic paraboloid based on the Olympic Velodrome, for C-3 it's a tent is as best as I can describe it as! For C-4 it's a fairly standard cam and linkage question, nothing really tough there, and finally for C-5 it's an assembly of a sort of crane pulley block.

Now these all obviously come with a health warning, my teacher told me afterwards that he also had another paper so he was going to give that to us another time also, so this obviously isn't the only DCG mock paper around the place so don't base your whole exam on it being this paper and if it isn't don't come crying to me!

Okay I'll post it here with a spoiler here as I don't want to go onto the mocks thread myself for fear of polluting my eyes with something I don't want to see myself ;)
    Okay so for the short questions in Section A, these are all of the top of my head as I had to hand that sheet up, there was a Shortest Distance between two skew lines question, there was a parabola given the point and axis (I think) and it required you to also find the center of curvature at that point, there was pictorial view (which I don't know much about cause we haven't done it yet!) and lastly there was a lamina and you had to locate the traces and show the true angle I think.

For Section B-1 there's a trimetric projection question of a sort of rounded post box. For B-2 there's and interpenetration of two triangular prisms, one of course is at an angle so you have to do an auxiliary and finally for B-3 there's a lamina question, this is where I messed up so hugely, you're given two planes ABC and BCD and you have to find the dihedral angle, determine the traces and the true shape of ABC, I was so prepared for two planes with no common point to get a plane with two common points put my off hugely and I couldn't remember how to do it! :o

Now we only have dynamic mechanisms done so far so I'm only sort of describing the others as I see them for C-2 there's a hyperbolic paraboloid based on the Olympic Velodrome, for C-3 it's a tent is as best as I can describe it as! For C-4 it's a fairly standard cam and linkage question, nothing really tough there, and finally for C-5 it's an assembly of a sort of crane pulley block.

Now these all obviously come with a health warning, my teacher told me afterwards that he also had another paper so he was going to give that to us another time also, so this obviously isn't the only DCG mock paper around the place so don't base your whole exam on it being this paper and if it isn't don't come crying to me!

Is it just me or is the DCG exam not easy to predict anyway? Like skew lines just come up everywhere...? Know all your shortest distances etc., dihedral angle, true shapes and you're sorted for half the marks I reckon!?

does anyone know in the assembly question how to do the part ''b''

Spurious? I'm slightly curious, when do you report people to the SEC out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

He doesn't. The SEC will review this thread and if they report anything of cheating or related, they will give boards.ie a warning and they will have to take action.

• Advertisement

As I've said before - the SEC were already in touch with boards about this sort of thread. Contacting people way above the level of moderator.

Of course, that doesn't stop anyone who looks at these threads sending an email to the SEC and I know people have.

It's about basic cop-on really. Don't post anything you wouldn't be happy with the SEC contacting you about.

How are these projects actually marked, our teacher posted of our portfolio with a cd in an envelope.. is that all we needed to put in? and how long does the examiner spend correcting each project out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koraDCG

you can find the marking scheme for the projects here.
    http://www.examinations.ie/exam/LC_2013_DCG_Student_Assignment.pdf

koraDCG wrote: »
    you can find the marking scheme for the projects here.
    http://www.examinations.ie/exam/LC_2013_DCG_Student_Assignment.pdf

No that's the project brief not the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC562ALP000EV.pdf

This was last years one, page 23 near the end, it's all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koraDCG

No that's the project brief not the marking scheme.
    you will find the marking scheme on the 3rd or 4th page, it has an outline of what is required in each section, suggested page numbers and the allocated marks.

koraDCG wrote: »
    you will find the marking scheme on the 3rd or 4th page, it has an outline of what is required in each section, suggested page numbers and the allocated marks.

*sigh* that's like saying the exam paper in Chemistry is the marking scheme, just because they say the marks doesn't make it the marking scheme, what curly135 posted is the marking scheme, and is what the correctors are given to mark a project!

To be honest I have seen the marking scheme just wondering to what detail is each project analysed? As in will they only spend 10 mins per project or what? Have you guys posted off your projects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Eurovisionmad theres no need to be rude about it. Someone posted an answer that wasn't what you were looking for all you had to say was thats not exactly what I wanted thanks anyway.
    If you were that interested it wouln't have been too hard to look up examinations.ie yourself, everyone knows where the marking schemes are.

If I recall correctly the projects had to be in Athlone or Dublin by last Thursday 28th. They spend a lot longer than 10 mins correcting each one. They read every word of it and go into a lot of detail on deciding marks

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a DCG mock, we didn't do one at all this year there was a mess up and so our teachers just gave us the 2009 paper ..... So if anyone has the mock I would be incredibly grateful if you could email it to me, or better still scan it up here!?

Advertisement