Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Project 2013

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koraDCG

Does anyone have a DCG mock, we didn't do one at all this year there was a mess up and so our teachers just gave us the 2009 paper ..... So if anyone has the mock I would be incredibly grateful if you could email it to me, or better still scan it up here!?

sorry dont have any to scan but you used to be able to buy them on mock.ie with the marking scheme for about €2 a paper i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I'll see if I can find mine but I'm afraid you can't do the Section A as I've scribbled and drawn on it. Section B and C are okay except Road Geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I'll see if I can find mine but I'm afraid you can't do the Section A as I've scribbled and drawn on it. Section B and C are okay except Road Geometry.

You're a life saver! No worries it's section B and C I need practice on anyways! So will I PM you or so you wanna post it up here?

Once again thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Sorry for bringing this thread again but my question probably doesn't deserve a thread all to its own :P

Does anyone know for definite if gears are on the syllabus? My teacher says it isn't after looking at Curriculum Online. T4.ie says differently however so I don't have a clue. Examinations.ie is absolutely hopeless with things like this too - they really should have the syllabi readily available on it, or else I'm just a crap researcher :P

I'm after spending the whole weekend learning as it's in the book and now I know it fairly well so it'll be time wasted if it's not on the syllabus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

kingcobra wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing this thread again but my question probably doesn't deserve a thread all to its own :P

Does anyone know for definite if gears are on the syllabus? My teacher says it isn't after looking at Curriculum Online. T4.ie says differently however so I don't have a clue. Examinations.ie is absolutely hopeless with things like this too - they really should have the syllabi readily available on it, or else I'm just a crap researcher :P

I'm after spending the whole weekend learning as it's in the book and now I know it fairly well so it'll be time wasted if it's not on the syllabus!
    Syllabus is on education.ie. as far as I can remember.
    Gears is part of the dynamic mechanisms chapter which is one of the 5 options.

I would presume ye are not covering that option if your teacher said its not needed

So it's on the syllabus but you don't have to cover it

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    Syllabus is on education.ie. as far as I can remember.
    Gears is part of the dynamic mechanisms chapter which is one of the 5 options.

I would presume ye are not covering that option if your teacher said its not needed

So it's on the syllabus but you don't have to cover it

Thanks for the reply. The syllabus on education.ie is the same one on t4.ie and yes that does say that 'gear profiles' are on the course.

We're doing Dynamic Mechanisms as one of our options and Actually we did cover involute gears fairly briefly at the start of 6th year but not epicycloidal gears and when I was going through them at the weekend I couldn't understand how to them so I asked the teacher, who didn't completely understand them either. He then checked the syllabus on Curriculum Online to see if epicycloidal gears were on the course and as it turns out gears weren't mentioned on it at all.

But the syllabus on t4.ie and education.ie seems more credible than the one on Curriculum Online so I think I'll continue studying them. Thanks for the help! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

I was just about to ask the exact same question about whether gear questions can come up or not, we're doing dynamics mechanisms but we didn't cover any type of gear questions. My teacher said that they take ages to do and that it'd be very harsh on us if a gears question were to come up, should I just not bother with them or would I be better off trying to learn them myself? Are they that hard?

bigt132 wrote: »
    I was just about to ask the exact same question about whether gear questions can come up or not, we're doing dynamics mechanisms but we didn't cover any type of gear questions. My teacher said that they take ages to do and that it'd be very harsh on us if a gears question were to come up, should I just not bother with them or would I be better off trying to learn them myself? Are they that hard?

They haven't come up before but sure they could always solely have a gears question within the Dynamic Mechanisms question (whereas usually you have a Cam and then a link to do etc.) and there could be two gears in the question which will fill up the 35 minutes you have.

I would say it's pretty likely they won't come up but I'm still going through them because if they do come up and I don't know them, that's a heap load of marks gone :pac: I found writing out my own notes on it kind of helped and making up a mnemonic can help with remembering all the stuff needed. Once you know that the question isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

kingcobra wrote: »
    They haven't come up before but sure they could always solely have a gears question within the Dynamic Mechanisms question (whereas usually you have a Cam and then a link to do etc.) and there could be two gears in the question which will fill up the 35 minutes you have.

I would say it's pretty likely they won't come up but I'm still going through them because if they do come up and I don't know them, that's a heap load of marks gone :pac: I found writing out my own notes on it kind of helped and making up a mnemonic can help with remembering all the stuff needed. Once you know that the question isn't too bad

Thanks, yeah I'm just gonna attempt to teach it to myself, although it definitely looks like the toughest part of dynamic mechanisms! :L

Does anyone have any predictions for the paper?

• Advertisement

I hope to see intersecting planes solids in contact or perspective on section B and a handy structural forms q and dynamic mechanisms aswell

I would doubt that Solids in Contact would come up in this years Section B question. It has never come up before and my teacher says he doesn't even know if it's coming up on Section B

I would doubt that Solids in Contact would come up in this years Section B question. It has never come up before and my teacher says he doesn't even know if it's coming up on Section B
    its on a few mocks though i dont see why it couldnt come up? id love to see it anyway.. what do you think will come up?

I'm hoping Perspective and Planes & Lamina to come up.

I'm hoping Perspective and Planes & Lamina to come up.

feels like perspective will... not sure about planes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

what do you think would come up instead of the planes then? Kind of only feel prepared with Perspective and the planes , although an Axonometric coming up would be superb! likelyhood is unsure seen as it came up in 2011 with a pretty simple question!

Barster wrote: »
    what do you think would come up instead of the planes then? Kind of only feel prepared with Perspective and the planes , although an Axonometric coming up would be superb! likelyhood is unsure seen as it came up in 2011 with a pretty simple question!

For axonometric do the XYZ labels mean anything? Like do they define where the elevation is and where the plan is or do you merely draw it as it is in the 3d image?

Sorry for going off topic, I'd say perspective should, really hope planes do but I suppose a development/conics type q could too!

For axonometric do the XYZ labels mean anything? Like do they define where the elevation is and where the plan is or do you merely draw it as it is in the 3d image?

Em I'm not entirely sure I've never come across it? I don't think its like the orthographic in that sense , I think its more so just make sure it fits on the page sort of thing?..

I'm not sure how I feel about a conics question tbh , short questions are fine ,

Just wondering has anybody got any notes on the Surface Gemoetry option? Our Teacher was out sick for most of the year so I only have the geologic Geometry option covered :/ , I don't plan to study DCG until the 12th- the 19th because I've no other exams , Could somebody please help me with notes so I'd be completely covered for this question no matter what , difficult in a week I know but I'm pretty covered for most other sections really! thanks in Advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koraDCG

Barster wrote: »
    Em I'm not entirely sure I've never come across it? I don't think its like the orthographic in that sense , I think its more so just make sure it fits on the page sort of thing?..

I'm not sure how I feel about a conics question tbh , short questions are fine ,

Just wondering has anybody got any notes on the Surface Gemoetry option? Our Teacher was out sick for most of the year so I only have the geologic Geometry option covered :/ , I don't plan to study DCG until the 12th- the 19th because I've no other exams , Could somebody please help me with notes so I'd be completely covered for this question no matter what , difficult in a week I know but I'm pretty covered for most other sections really! thanks in Advance!

Hi you can use the link below for access to some surface geometry solutions
    http://www.dcgsolutions.org/Demo2/demo2.html
    Go to surface geometry for dihedral angles on hips and valleys, use the outline button (available on computers only) to find a development question explaining true lengths. It’s not a full set of notes but hopefully it will help!
    The page it designed for Tablets/iPads but will work on Windows Explorer/ FireFox/Chrome if you have an updated browser.

Thats Actually Great Thanks A million Helps at least! , Your hardly went a splurged purchasing the full set of solutions did you? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Now that the projects are all corrected and the results distributed I assume we can post pictures of our projects, I was quite proud of my idea it was based on the London Paralympics so the structure was supposed to emulate the Olympic stadium and the microphone was supposed to be based on Oscar Pistorious' running blades (which sounded like a good idea at the time until you know, he murdered his girlfriend, but by that stage I had already signed off on my project!), I got an A1 overall so I presume that the correctors liked it!

2rnahar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

The moment you realise that's what you were competing with...
    Definitely not showing mine now :pac:

Nah all jokes aside that looks really good, congrats.

Wow! :eek::eek: That looks amazing bud!

F********cckkk...I thought mine was at least somewhat decent, got me a B1 and my written test wasn't spectacular, until I saw that. Needless to say, I still love my lectern <3

Original in Solid Works
    l8RJ3J1.jpg

Reconstructed
    JC1TMU4.jpg

qzMBrZ8.jpg

Those things at the side slide in/out too :P But thanks Eurovisionmad for making me feel woeful anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

Anyone get any word back on prizes for doing well in the project and/or exam? Had thought there was a prize for best DCG students each year but haven't heard anything about that.

Me and a guy in my class are going to an awards ceremony for the best DCG projects from the 2013 LC, our teacher submitted our work, anyone else attending this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

That's the. 2012 awards that took place in. 2013 as last years awards for 2013 exam for you take place in 2014

seavill wrote: »
    That's the. 2012 awards that took place in. 2013 as last years awards for 2013 exam for you take place in 2014

Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks. The date listed there seems to be for October, however, and I can't find anything for an event on in GMIT Galway for the 5th March

• Advertisement
Advertisement