Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus new livery.

Options
  • 27-03-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Aer Lingus have had their current livery for the best part of 20 years and I think they need a new one, have they ever considered changing it. The one they have is great but its oh so 90's!

Some of my suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

There was a long thread on this topic way back with many different designs. I like the 2nd drawing, looks cool. The first looks a bit of a hire in jobbie with hue of green blended in.

What about Ryanair ? I'm utterly bored of their color scheme but changing paint schemes costs money which the boss is allergic to. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

not that allergic apparently, 10% pay rise for all Ryanair staff the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Same colour as these beetles if it could be done.

4554677294_7bb1e86669.jpg

With gold coloured lettering.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I like the current livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

As I said here last time, the Aer Lingus livery is definitely one of the most striking and recognisable in the business.

To eurowhite the front, as the first picture proposes would be a disaster. And I don't think it will be changed anytime soon. And look at the cock up Iberia made with their presumably abandoned new livery. It was horrific, only made it onto the engine cowling of a 330 I believe.

My favourite incarnation of the current, 1996 livery has to be this...

3306551709_b582571798_z.jpg?zz=1

I suppose.... i think Air France did a fantastic job with theirs, the change was really subtle but still brought it into 21st century. If EI could emulate something small like this i think i could look great, although it could look ****e too!:-o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Money money money. I understand there were grand plans for the 75th but when the quotes came in it was quickly scaled back. It's all about cost versus benefit at AL now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Here's the link for the previous thread, have to say I do like the first one. Id agree with the previous poster though, just a minor sprucing up would suffice to an already striking livery. Alitalia moved their cheat line below the windows (think Klm did similar) and this did have the effect of modernising the livery

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056349446

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

first one isn't too bad might be slighty cheaper using bog stadard white for 3/4 of the aircraft, the second one is not for me i'm seeing double and splitting the aer lingus text into two different colours is hard on the eyes.i don't think aer lingus will be changing their fleet colours any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Aer Lingus have had their current livery for the best part of 20 years and I think they need a new one, have they ever considered changing it. The one they have is great but its oh so 90's!

Some of my suggestions
    They are possibly the worst-looking liveries I have ever seen and hope EI doesn't take any "inspiration" from either of them. Nothing wrong with what they have at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yawlboy wrote: »

+1

Classy, simple and iconic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I actually like your suggestions. I don't like the current livery, never have never will. I despise straight lines and having top half one colour and bottom another, needs more streaks and flows or blended colours.

Not a fan of writing names as one word with no capitals like the second one though :p Aer Lingus > aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I don't like either of your suggestions but if I had to pick it would be the first one. I think if EI used a different shade of green and kept the current livey it would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Just a quick something I threw together. Going back to the days of the white shamrock.

EI A320 livery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Just a quick something I threw together. Going back to the days of the white shamrock.

EI A320 livery

An all green scheme? Nope looks Yuke IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Fade out the cheat line or make it mire like a ribbon, maybe spruce up the tail a little, otherwise it's grand as it s! Always very visible in a crowded airport, and always a lovely sight when flying into a foreign airport to see a green EIN jet on the ramp...

Treadhead wrote: »
    Fade out the cheat line or make it mire like a ribbon, maybe spruce up the tail a little, otherwise it's grand as it s! Always very visible in a crowded airport, and always a lovely sight when flying into a foreign airport to see a green EIN jet on the ramp...

Which is why a predominantly white livery wouldn't, what with BA, Iberia, Air France, Lufthansa, Austrian, Finnair and others sporting eurowhite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

donvito99 wrote: »
    Which is why a predominantly white livery wouldn't, what with BA, Iberia, Air France, Lufthansa, Austrian, Finnair and others sporting eurowhite.
    From a branding point of view the green top livery is brillant, it stands out in any airport. Many airlines have colours on the bottom with a white top, (BA) or a variation of the boring 'EuroWhite' livery. (AF, LH, LX, IB) The KLM livery is similar, stands out from the crowd.

A possible refresh I would welcome would be to keep the colours and shamrock but maybe add some curves. Similar to the Bmi livery.
    Yawlboy wrote: »
    I happen to know the guy who pushed for this to happen. He had got no-where with the previous CEO in 2005/6. Got in contact with the new CEO in late 2009 and put his case forward, even emailed images of various liveries to support his case. New CEO was very open to cost effective suggestions in this manner. He actually emailed my mate with the Airbus design plans 2 days after EI got them, so I knew the livery about 4 months before it was painted. Had to keep my mouth shut though.

EDIT:after reading the post by Stovepipe I must point out that the EI retro livery may well disappear when that particular aircraft is due for a repaint. I would guess that will be within the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Might be a silly question......

But why is it called a cheat line?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i don't think the current livery is at all dated. It's still fairly modern and striking compared to many out there. Some of the aircraft I have noted recently could do with a new lick of paint perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

aw wrote: »

was wondering the same thing

Strumms wrote: »
    i don't think the current livery is at all dated. It's still fairly modern and striking compared to many out there. Some of the aircraft I have noted recently could do with a new lick of paint perhaps.

A few years back I think they may have slightly altered the colour (green) on some of the older a/c, or perhaps they had just faded. There were some very odd looking 330s for a time, they've since left the fleet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

aw wrote: »

It's a line that airlines use to make aircraft appear longer and bigger than they are. Apparently that's a bit of a selling point for some people, particularly in the past. So in a sense, they "cheat" people into thinking they use large aircraft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've always hated the way the 'cheat line' (now that I know what its called !) comes to an abrupt stop (or start) at the front of the aircraft.

It looks clumsy and doesn't align with the shape of a plane.

If I remember correctly, the current Aer Lingus livery was designed by a British company. Lets hope any future revisions showcase the best of Irish design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

a couple of points: paint schemes are expensive and cost downtime, which is why airlines prefer simple ones. A lot of the complex designs are vinyl stick-on decals so that they can be removed easily when the plane is sold on or given back to the leasing company.Also, manufacturers will only sell you a white aircraft, as it's the most basic and cheapest paint scheme they can get away with, unless you are prepared to pay extra for a more complex scheme. apart from that, repaints are often timed to coincide with an aircraft coming out of overhaul, so that it's stay in the paint shop does not take away from service time, ie, 24 days for a C-check and a week for paint would be typical. Lapin, the paint scheme stops at the radome because you don't want non-radar-transparent paint in front of the radar, unless you are prepared to pay a lot extra for suitable paint.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Billyum wrote: »

First one is nice. I'm not a fan of the second.

Advertisement