Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus new livery.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

First one is nice. I'm not a fan of the second.

1st is a tweak of the current livery.....2nd looks like a charter airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I like the current EI livery too. As others have said, it is still distinctive and isn't eurowhite. I think a small refresh would be an idea though, nothing too much, just maybe a more modern looking logo and a change to the tail fin

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00013007

Something like this would be cool, although any of these renders may as well be done on the A320 seeing as I doubt EI will ever be operaating the 747 again :) Who knows, maybe for the A350 launch in 2015? That would be a god time to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe for the A350 launch in 2015? That would be a good time to do it

I wouldn't count on it, few rumours going around..

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I had always thought the same. It was one of the first things I noticed the they rebranded! The sudden stop of the cheatline makes the livery design look like a half arsed effort!

I was always fond of the livery of the 80's. It always reminded me of when I went on holidays with my parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

neaideabh wrote: »
    .....I was always fond of the livery of the 80's. It always reminded me of when I went on holidays with my parents!
    This is always an issue with airline rebranding. So many customers/passengers have memories of the airline that are tied into the image of the aircraft from their own personal history. Just look at how divided opinion is over the new American Airlines livery.

Personally I disliked the white shamrock livery, I much prefer the current colours,I think it still looks modern. My favourite strangely is the 1960-1974 white with dark green cheatline, as modeled by the current retro A320.
    But each to their own. Any livery tweak/redesign will cause controversy.

On a related I saw an AA B777 2 days ago in the US. The livery actually looks pretty nice in the flesh. I still think the tail is a bit in your face. I almost stood up and put my hand on my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Any new livery has to include a bit of St Patrick blue IMO?

And also, the aerlingusDOTcom logo is dead and gone, thank christ for that.

This a/c, and this livery. Epic.

00012816.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

donvito99 wrote: »
    This a/c, and this livery. Epic.

Wow, now we are talkin. That triple 7 looks a mean machine in those retro colors.

b757 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on it, few rumours going around..
    Ugh, that sounds daunting.. Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Rumours are that shamrock will be canceling the order for the a350s for the neos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Scone190 wrote: »
    Rumours are that shamrock will be canceling the order for the a350s for the neos

I'll second that. There v happy with their limited fleet of 330s. They serve them well and will continue to do so. A330 production line alive and well and has been their best twin med ranger built.
    Neo... Wouldn't be surprised If EIN were launch etops customer like they were on the 330.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

EI CEO is on record as saying that A350 is 'over specced' for the EI network.
    The A330-302's can operate to SFO easily. In addition Airbus have increased the MTOW of the A333 with the activation of the centre fuel tank.
    Hence no real need for the longer range A350. EI hold quite early delivery slots for their 6 A350 (also got slots in 2018 for another 3)

It would not be a big stretch to see EI giving up some of those A350 in return for a nice deal on 4-6 A321NEO's and then replace their current A330's with newer models. Being launch customer as suggested above would also help with the economics of the deal.

Personally I would like to see EI get the A350, but the bean counters are the guys who make the decisions in the end. I think a mix of A350/A333/A321NEO/A320 may be too messy for an airline with less than 50 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

CEO confirmed as much in a recent business briefing to us. Expect the 350 slots to go in favour of the 321NEO and us to be launch customer for ETOPS certs.

basill wrote: »
    CEO confirmed as much in a recent business briefing to us. Expect the 350 slots to go in favour of the 321NEO and us to be launch customer for ETOPS certs.

Very, very interesting. I do recall him saying that the A350 would be manageable on the core tatl routes; JFK and BOS, and it will disappointing not to see the 350 in shamrock colours. But, as has been said, if it makes financial sense to cancel this order, and instead go for the well proven newer A330s combined with a sensible A321 order, we could see some reasonable expansion in the future, beyond that of SFO or Canada.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

basill wrote: »

Aww im kind of disappointed to hear this :( Was looking forward to the A350s !! But I suppose a mix of replacement A330s and A321neo's are the best option.
    In years to come does anyone see EI expanding to South America, Africa or even east Asia? Can the A330s do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

Id guess they expand to east asia before they start flying to africa, and certainly before south america. As far as I know flights to the far east are part of Aer Lingus's long term plan, ..but id say it will be a particularly long term!!

They had Bangkok and Hong Kong as destinations for like 5 minutes on there website once?? what was that about anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Locker10a wrote: »
    Aww im kind of disappointed to hear this :( Was looking forward to the A350s !! But I suppose a mix of replacement A330s and A321neo's are the best option.
    In years to come does anyone see EI expanding to South America, Africa or even east Asia? Can the A330s do this?

Yeah really disappointing..

No I can't see them expanding that far, how ever i do think they might expand their US destinations in the coming years with EY.

......In years to come does anyone see EI expanding to South America, Africa or even east Asia? Can the A330s do this?

I doubt we would ever see EI going to South America or East Asia. South Africa and or the Mid east may happen down the line.

To answer the query the current A330's can make South Africa. Not sure about getting to BKK of HKG though.

Disappointing alright, it would have been nice to see EI being one of the first to operate the A350. But, the -900 variant is pretty clearly over specc'ed for EI. Is it likely though, that EI would keep the order for the three A350's to be delivered in 2018? And just cash in the first six orders for more A330's and A321NEO's?

As well, surely EI will need to order the A320NEO at some stage simply just to replace the 30 or so they have currently?

If they go anywhere other than North America long haul, it would surely be Abu Dhabi in order to share the risk with EY.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Lapin, the paint scheme stops at the radome because you don't want non-radar-transparent paint in front of the radar, unless you are prepared to pay a lot extra for suitable paint.

regards
    Stovepipe

6658_555787554442924_861698317_n.jpg

7940_555790287775984_1859037930_n.jpg

I'm on about the light green and blue trim.

It has a clumsy finish being squared off close to the front of aircraft.

If it tapered off in a streamlined fashion to below the flightdeck windows it wouldn't look so bad. Nor would it interfere with radar.

Even if it didn't taper but continued at the same size and continued around the front of the aircraft it wouldn't look so bad.

Its been done before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmx_FPV86xN8yHn6IPJU5Yfb6RFD2kSxpOMoT4QZyXi0tYrP-aig

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaEnzN4-sJSm9K_3N5mZjltEmhLmCFsCcrjHItTilbNmy9KZykyw

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was looking forward to seeing 350s in EI colours too tbh.

Definitely can't see them expanding in anywhere other than North America, maybe AUH or DXB if there's a larger surge in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Personally this is by favourite. They should have all their aircraft to look like this:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/343p848.jpg

..couldnt go wrong with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

So are Aer Lingus no longer getting the A350 ?

So are Aer Lingus no longer getting the A350 ?

A rumour is a rumour.

It's not straight from the horses mouth so to speak, yet.

donvito99 wrote: »
    A rumour is a rumour....
    And this particular rumour could run for 2-3 years yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Scone190 wrote: »

I thought they were just pushing back A350 slots in favor of the NEOs?:confused::eek:

I thought they were just pushing back A350 slots in favor of the NEOs?:confused::eek:

Yes, this is more likely. As said in the other thread, the A330 will have to be replaced eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm not a great fan of transatlantic in narrow body aircraft from my own personal preference point of view that is. It seems this will be something however EI will be embracing all be it partly with the 75 introduction later in the year.

Can anyone advise if the 321 neo is anything other then a re-engined version of the current aircraft with sharklets a few spec changes and a lower operating weight ? I have travelled lots on the EI 321s and to be honest as much as I like the aircraft for a 3 hour spin somewhere in Europe it's not going to be much fun 7 hours plus IMHO.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    .......Can anyone advise if the A321NEO is anything other then a re-engined version of the current aircraft with sharklets a few spec changes and a lower operating weight ? ...

You got it spot on there.
    "New Engine Option" pretty much nails the 'difference'.

Advertisement