Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 huitzilopochtli

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to me so far. Been busy for the last few days so slow getting back to you.

@sebphoto and cnocbui
    My subjects of interest vary from the small and far away (birds), to the small and up close (insects). (And, of course, the large but far away.) I guess I'd like to be prepared for everything.

@All
    I've received what sounds like very good advice regarding tripods and fast lenses that aren't manual focus, and a little about specific cameras and lenses. But while I'm a little more comfortable in what equipment I need, I think before I go any further I need to know more about the terminology and technology. So, I'm going to try to find a site that can take me through the basics (like what a '70-200 f/2.8L' is - I'm betting the L is for lens and the numbers are something to do with power or length) but would appreciate any suggestions regarding the best beginners' guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to me so far. Been busy for the last few days so slow getting back to you.

@sebphoto and cnocbui
    My subjects of interest vary from the small and far away (birds), to the small and up close (insects). (And, of course, the large but far away.) I guess I'd like to be prepared for everything.

@All
    I've received what sounds like very good advice regarding tripods and fast lenses that aren't manual focus, and a little about specific cameras and lenses. But while I'm a little more comfortable in what equipment I need, I think before I go any further I need to know more about the terminology and technology. So, I'm going to try to find a site that can take me through the basics (like what a '70-200 f/2.8L' is - I'm betting the L is for lens and the numbers are something to do with power or length) but would appreciate any suggestions regarding the best beginners' guides.

L stands for luxury in canon's lens range. That means this lens is a top quality, very sharp lens. Most of those are wheather sealed so you can use them in the rain, dust etc. 70-200 means focal lenght. I think human eyes can see at around 50mm. The lower the first number - the wider angle of view and the higher the second number - the higher zoom. 2.8 is your aperture. The lower the number - the bigger a hole. The bigger the hole the more light comes trough the lens to your sensor. That means to get properly exposed picture in low light you ll not need to reduce your shutter speed or increase your ISO (decreasing shutter speed gives you blur if your subject is moving or you are not using a tripod and higher ISO gives you more noise in your pictures (less details)). Also talking about lens if you buy a canon camera with crop sensor you ll need to multiply focal lennght of the lens by 1.6 to get a real focal lenght. For example you have canon 6D and canon 7D. So because canon 6D is a full frame camera the focal lenght of 70-200mm will be 70-200mm. But the same lens on canon 7D will be 112-320mm as this camera has a 1.6 crop sensor. That means with the same lens on canon 7D you'll get a better zoom. Plus if you need even more zoom you can get canon x1.4 or x2 extender. Basicaly you screw it on camera body between camera and your lens and you have 1.4 or double time bigger zoom than just with lens only. Hope you understand. To understand about iso, shutter speed and aperture search on youtube something like "photographic triangle" or so. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Have a Nikon D50 for about 5 years but ready to upgrade now and have about €1000 to spend (and planning a shopping trip to the US) . . Want to stick with Nikon a I have bought a number of lenses but am struggling to decide between D5200 and D7000. Will 24M pixels versus 16M pixels really make a difference ? Thoughts welcome.

Have a Nikon D50 for about 5 years but ready to upgrade now and have about €1000 to spend (and planning a shopping trip to the US) . . Want to stick with Nikon a I have bought a number of lenses but am struggling to decide between D5200 and D7000. Will 24M pixels versus 16M pixels really make a difference ? Thoughts welcome.

Hi, 24M pixels versus 16M pixels will make a slight difference if you will make a huge poster. But if you are not a commercial photographer working in advertisment industry you will not notice any difference in your images. But those two cameras are different and it's not only about MP. I hope this link will help you to choose which camera is right for you.
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Nikon_D7000
    but if I was you I would go for D7000 as it has focus motor built in and it is wheather sealed (that's a huge advantage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Any discount codes going for simply electronics? Looking at a 650d...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hello all,

I bought this camera recently:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-1100D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-1855mm-75300mm-Zoom-Lens/310319/176

What do you think of the the 2 lenses it comes with? I know there is a lot of talk of the nifty fifty about these parts, would either lens come close?

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I bought this camera recently:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/CANON-EOS-1100D-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-1855mm-75300mm-Zoom-Lens/310319/176

What do you think of the the 2 lenses it comes with? I know there is a lot of talk of the nifty fifty about these parts, would either lens come close?
    hi
    Could you please describe briefly your question please.
    if you already got this set - enjoy, but if you are thinking to buy this set, then I would recommend you to buy just one lens which covers similar focal lens (tamron 18-270, canon 18-200 or similar) just because it is more practical. If talking about picture quality then they are similar not professional lenses so quality is also similar. I am not telling you they are bad lenses but they are just not professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

arcius wrote: »
    hi
    Could you please describe briefly your question please.
    if you already got this set - enjoy, but if you are thinking to buy this set, then I would recommend you to buy just one lens which covers similar focal lens (tamron 18-270, canon 18-200 or similar) just because it is more practical. If talking about picture quality then they are similar not professional lenses so quality is also similar. I am not telling you they are bad lenses but they are just not professional.

Hello I have already bought the camera. Just from reading around a lot of people start with a nifty fifty lens so just want to see if I should still buy one of these or if the 2 that came with my camera are of a comparable standard?

Hello I have already bought the camera. Just from reading around a lot of people start with a nifty fifty lens so just want to see if I should still buy one of these or if the 2 that came with my camera are of a comparable standard?
    Try use them, see if you like taking photos and if so sell those two lenses and get better ones. But for a start try to use them first. The other option (what I would do) would be sell them straight away on adverts or donedeal as "brand new" and buy one "all around" lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

See how you get on with those first, if you get more into photography I'd pick up a 50mm 1.8 then. Prime lenses are nice, they make you think more about composition and generally have better image quality when compared to zooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

For all beginners I would always recommend canon 600d or 650d with "all around" 18-135mm lens. Do not buy with kit lens such as 18-55 as very soon you'll realize you need more zoom and you'll spend more money for another lens. If you have any questions about canon gear you can ask me as I was born with canon :)

Hi arcius,

I was hoping you might explain to me a little the pros/cons of the kit lenses vs the overall lens. I'm almost decided that I will purchase a Canon 600D later this week. The set I'm looking that seems to be standard here in my little part of Japan is the body and the two lenses (18-55/55-250*need to double check this) and a memory card for E476. This is my first time buying and it's been tough coming to a decision. I want to take portraits and landscapes for the most part. Any advice on the lens much appreciated!

Tristram wrote: »
    Hi arcius,

I was hoping you might explain to me a little the pros/cons of the kit lenses vs the overall lens. I'm almost decided that I will purchase a Canon 600D later this week. The set I'm looking that seems to be standard here in my little part of Japan is the body and the two lenses (18-55/55-250*need to double check this) and a memory card for E476. This is my first time buying and it's been tough coming to a decision. I want to take portraits and landscapes for the most part. Any advice on the lens much appreciated!
    Hi, Tristram.
    What can I say about it... the price is incredible low. Both lenses have an image stabilizers. If you are new in the photography this kit will be more than enough. number 18 on the first lens means it is wide enough to take nice landscapes, or to shoot inside. off course there are wider lenses but as I understand you are new in photography, so it is a good choice. 55-250 has a very good zoom so for portraits will be very good as well as for other places where you need to zoom in. the only disadvantage against all around lens (for example 18-200mm) is that you will need swap lenses when you need to go from wide angle to high zoom. sometimes changing the lens could be not very "hygienic" as you can catch some dust or drops with camera's sensor or the lens. The image quality on all those lenses is pretty the same. So I would say if you have more options try to get kit with all around lens. if no then go for this kit. You can also buy just the body and then look for all around lens. It all depends on your budget and choices you have. so if there is no other options then go for this kit as as I said it is a very good price for all what you get. Hope that helps. If there are any other questions just ask ;) (...what a price... :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Hi, Tristram.
    What can I say about it... the price is incredible low. Both lenses have an image stabilizers. If you are new in the photography this kit will be more than enough. number 18 on the first lens means it is wide enough to take nice landscapes, or to shoot inside. off course there are wider lenses but as I understand you are new in photography, so it is a good choice. 55-250 has a very good zoom so for portraits will be very good as well as for other places where you need to zoom in. the only disadvantage against all around lens (for example 18-200mm) is that you will need swap lenses when you need to go from wide angle to high zoom. sometimes changing the lens could be not very "hygienic" as you can catch some dust or drops with camera's sensor or the lens. The image quality on all those lenses is pretty the same. So I would say if you have more options try to get kit with all around lens. if no then go for this kit. You can also buy just the body and then look for all around lens. It all depends on your budget and choices you have. so if there is no other options then go for this kit as as I said it is a very good price for all what you get. Hope that helps. If there are any other questions just ask ;) (...what a price... :) )

Thanks for the quick and informative response arcius! I didn't even realize it was such a good price! I feel better about parting with my cash now hearing that from you. Now is the probably best time of year to buy gadgets and whatnot here in Japan as it's the end of the business year and most shops are trying to clear stock before new models start coming in. There's big reductions on a whole range of cameras :)

I will ask if it's possible to switch the lenses around but I imagine it will be difficult. Thanks again! I'm excited about posting more in the photography forum and learning as I go. It seems like there is a really great community of posters!

Tristram wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick and informative response arcius! I didn't even realize it was such a good price! I feel better about parting with my cash now hearing that from you. Now is the probably best time of year to buy gadgets and whatnot here in Japan as it's the end of the business year and most shops are trying to clear stock before new models start coming in. There's big reductions on a whole range of cameras :)

I will ask if it's possible to switch the lenses around but I imagine it will be difficult. Thanks again! I'm excited about posting more in the photography forum and learning as I go. It seems like there is a really great community of posters!
    I wish I was there now... I would bring some gear to Ireland to make some cash :) Oh ye about portrait lens. have a look at 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. They are both great lenses and makes incredibly sharp images with completely blurred out backgrounds :) good luck with your new passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For a friend, he's looking for a camera for shooting some video & wants to get good sound. His product is about the size of a pound of butter. Any advice please?

I am seeking advice on the most appropriate hardware to make our output look and sound professional –with due consideration to cost.

I am not planning on going into professional photography but, equally, don’t want my hardware to be found wanting should my needs expand over time.

An external Mic-In function is essential as I will be using RF Microphones to capture good speech-audio while out and about without depending on dubbing.

The types of videos we will be shooting:

• HD “Out-of-the-box Experience” videos for products, indoors
    • Product demonstrations
    • Mock-ups of the product as it might be used by Consumers –so that they can relate its use to their lives
    • In-vehicle, daylight, nightime & while moving
    • Movies near Sea & Rivers (reflections, strong sunlight)

Essentials:

• Mic-In
    • Excellent, silent Auto Focus for Video
    • Full HD (Min 1080p)

dinneenp wrote: »
    For a friend, he's looking for a camera for shooting some video & wants to get good sound. His product is about the size of a pound of butter. Any advice please?

I am seeking advice on the most appropriate hardware to make our output look and sound professional –with due consideration to cost.

I am not planning on going into professional photography but, equally, don’t want my hardware to be found wanting should my needs expand over time.

An external Mic-In function is essential as I will be using RF Microphones to capture good speech-audio while out and about without depending on dubbing.

The types of videos we will be shooting:

• HD “Out-of-the-box Experience” videos for products, indoors
    • Product demonstrations
    • Mock-ups of the product as it might be used by Consumers –so that they can relate its use to their lives
    • In-vehicle, daylight, nightime & while moving
    • Movies near Sea & Rivers (reflections, strong sunlight)

Essentials:

• Mic-In
    • Excellent, silent Auto Focus for Video
    • Full HD (Min 1080p)
    Hi, what budget you re in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi, what budget you re in?

Good question! Ideally under €1,000 I'd guess.
    I told him he could hire a 5D mark II & lens for good price for a weekend but he's thinking why not have a camera bought that he can keep.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Good question! Ideally under €1,000 I'd guess.
    I told him he could hire a 5D mark II & lens for good price for a weekend but he's thinking why not have a camera bought that he can keep.
    For that amount I would go with canon 650d which is around €500. You basicaly can shoot video with any kit lens which has a image stabilization as within that budget you won't get a good silent ZOOM lens with fixed aperture.But if I was given that amount and had same requirements from the cheaper versions I would go with Canon EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for €470 which is very silent because of the new motor built in but it has a variable aperture. if you don't need a good zoom try wide angle Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX AF 11-16mm F2.8 for about €450 which is great in low light conditions but doesn't have a image stabilization. but you don't really need it because of the very wide angle of view.. The other great lens for video is prime 50mm 1.4 €320 or "nifty fifty 50mm 1.8 for less than €100. Also don't forget about tripod, and (I really like it) follow focus gear which cost from few euros all the way until ........ €
    This is my recommendations but you can choot video with any lens. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Am buying a camera in the next few weeks , and it will probably be either a D3100 or 1100D .

Both are priced at €439 in local pharmacy...........includes sd card , case and training .

Which is best :?

Am buying a camera in the next few weeks , and it will probably be either a D3100 or 1100D .

Both are priced at €439 in local pharmacy...........includes sd card , case and training .

Try here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos1100d&products=nikon_d3100
    I d say they are similar. very important thing is the lens comes with them. that can change everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just wondering if I could get some advice on a camera. I'm a complete novice really

I'm visiting Vietnam/Cambodia in May so looking to get something for the holiday. Would like something with a decent wide view that can take good landscapes. A reasonable zoom would be nice too. Probably have about €500 to spend, maybe a little more at a push. Saw on the previous page the Canon 600D with a 18-135mm lense which some research suggested would be fairly perfect but it's just a little too expensive (about €750 from Amazon it seems, would it be available cheaper anywhere else?). Any advice appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

danthefan wrote: »
    Just wondering if I could get some advice on a camera. I'm a complete novice really

I'm visiting Vietnam/Cambodia in May so looking to get something for the holiday. Would like something with a decent wide view that can take good landscapes. A reasonable zoom would be nice too. Probably have about €500 to spend, maybe a little more at a push. Saw on the previous page the Canon 600D with a 18-135mm lense which some research suggested would be fairly perfect but it's just a little too expensive (about €750 from Amazon it seems, would it be available cheaper anywhere else?). Any advice appreciated.

I'd say consider a more discrete and portable camera for travelling. You can feel the shoulder pain and attention that an SLR can attract. Micro 4/3 camera's are pretty good and come with interchange lenses. I couldn't tell you a particular model but find one that feels good in your hands.

Your choice is a great starter kit. camera is brilliant and a lens is good for a start as it has wide angle and normal zoom. You can get that kit for €669 from simplyelectronics.net. You can also get Canon EOS 600D + 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS Twin Kit for €624 plus delivery from hdewcameras.co.uk, but this kit has a little disadvantage as you' ll need to change lenses between zoom and wide angle. if it's not a problem for you go for it.

Micro 4/3 camera's are pretty good, but lenses are very expensive for them...

For all intents and purposes their functionally identical. What matters is, as said the lens, but also the ergonomics. I'm used to Canon and I find Nikon frustrating as a lot of basic things are reversed and my muscle memory gets in the way. If your starting off this is less of an issue but you may find one more initially intuitive over the other.

However, remember that these cameras are the most basic entry level SLRs and can pale in comparison to their more advanced siblings for features. While you shouldn't really need more than aperture, exposure and ISO control you may eventually feel restricted by the camera. So with this in mind I would suggest that you get the camera as cheap as possible - even secondhand - and consider investing primarily in a good lens or two (which can hold their value better) and change out the camera as required down the road. (Of course if you buy Canon you're limited to Canon mount lenses and visa-versa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Your choice is a great starter kit. camera is brilliant and a lens is good for a start as it has wide angle and normal zoom. You can get that kit for €669 from simplyelectronics.net. You can also get Canon EOS 600D + 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS Twin Kit for €624 plus delivery from hdewcameras.co.uk, but this kit has a little disadvantage as you' ll need to change lenses between zoom and wide angle. if it's not a problem for you go for it.

Thanks for the reply. Seems sold out on simplyelectronics which is a shame, could have just about scraped the money together for that. Might email them and ask if it'll be back in stock. Don't have a huge amount of time either if delivery is slow is the other issue.

Thanks for the reply. Seems sold out on simplyelectronics which is a shame, could have just about scraped the money together for that. Might email them and ask if it'll be back in stock. Don't have a huge amount of time either if delivery is slow is the other issue.

Be very wary of simplyelectronics. They don't have the greatest of reputations.

I recomended simplyelectronics as I never ever had any problems with them. only sometimes they are very slow (I was waiting for my 50mm around 5 weeks or so). But I prefer wait longer rather than pay more. Plus they accept paypal which is great cover so you always know you'll get your money back if there was any problems. But if you have no time to wait then buy from hdewcameras.co.uk. They are very quick.
    Last time I bought flash from one Irish shop in Dublin as I needed quick replacement. And to be honest I had the worst experience with them... The flash was faulty but they didn't want to take it back... I was fighting with them for couple of days. Only consumer right agency helped me to solve the problem. So you never know where you ll get problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Hello!

I was wondering if somebody could help me make a decision on which camera to buy as I'm trying to get a camera for a trip to NYC to a sporting event and to take photos in NYC sight seeing. I want a camera that will let me take photos in low light, from a distance, quick(as people are in motion for example) and have a good HD recording capability. I just don't know if that means I should get a Bridge camera or SLR.

I had been looking for something under 400e and was looking at the following as maybes??

slr:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11222739/art/canon/eos-1100d-ef-s-18-55mm-is.html

bridge:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10542592/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz48-black.html

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

ciano316 wrote: »
    Hello!

I was wondering if somebody could help me make a decision on which camera to buy as I'm trying to get a camera for a trip to NYC to a sporting event and to take photos in NYC sight seeing. I want a camera that will let me take photos in low light, from a distance, quick(as people are in motion for example) and have a good HD recording capability. I just don't know if that means I should get a Bridge camera or SLR.

I had been looking for something under 400e and was looking at the following as maybes??

slr:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11222739/art/canon/eos-1100d-ef-s-18-55mm-is.html

bridge:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10542592/art/panasonic/lumix-dmc-fz48-black.html

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

If you're in NYC then get the camera while you're there in B&H.
    If you really want to take good low light sports pictures then you're going to need a much larger budget. I'm thinking a 7D with a 100-400L. The two cameras you link to won't be very good for that kind of photography. The EF 55-250 lens on the 1100D would be a better choice at a lower end budget but I would look more towards the 600D which has a better autofocus.

If this is a once off thing consider renting a camera.

Advertisement