Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Wopp wrote: »
    Hi there, I recently got some photography lessons and want a starter camera...there are sooo many cameras mentioned here and in other forums. I have picked out two possibilities if someone could give them a quick look and let me know what you think?

Fujifilm FinePix HS30 EXR -
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-digital-cameras/fujifilm-finepix-hs30-exr-review-50007695/

Canon EOS 1100D -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-1100D-Digital-Camera-3-5-5-6/dp/B004MPQXZA

Im leaning towards the Fujifilm as it has a lot of features and seems quite user friendly. However, im afraid of buying because the sensor size is much smaller then the cannon and as far as my research goes that matters (however the cannon model is a few years behind the fuji model so maybe its not a big deal).

Can anyone let me know if its a big mistake to go with the fuji? or is there a starter model better then both i completely missed!! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
    Bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Looking at compact system cameras at the minute.

I have it narrowed to two - Sony NEX 5 and the Olympus EPL3. Online reviews differ greatly on these but they are generally considered excellent cameras. I can get a EPL3 for around €300 but the NEX 5 comes in around €600.

Aesthetically I prefer the Sony but the performance is too similar between them to justify the price. I think Il go with the Oly - anyone here have experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanesheridan

anyone see any good deals for Canon 650d? I've been looking but unsure as to the safety and legitimacy of some sites like DLK etc.

Guess anything in the 650euro mark would be great value (with lense)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

anyone see any good deals for Canon 650d? I've been looking but unsure as to the safety and legitimacy of some sites like DLK etc.

Guess anything in the 650euro mark would be great value (with lense)

Amazon have it for £515 sterling with a 18-55 IS lens.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-650D-Digital-Camera/dp/B0089V4CJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360150923&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

Got mine off this crowd in December. Arrived after 4 days by DHL.
    http://www.applelectronic.com/

• Advertisement

i can't seem to find it for this price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I could have swore it was 515 earlier, must have changed it.:(

thanks anyways!! :)

Loki98 how reputable is this crowd??

Has anyone had issues ordering from ebay before?? Not sure if its worth the risk of dodgy equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

I paid €541 for a 650D and 18-55 IS lens just before Christmas. I paid thru PayPal and it arrived 4 days later. I had no problems with them. Have a look at their website and decide for yourself if you want to take the risk, but I would recommend paying thru PayPal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 huitzilopochtli

Hi everyone. I need some information regarding cameras. In particular I need advice on what camera and what other equipment would be most desirable for wildlife photography.

Bearing in mind that I am not looking to become a professional photographer (on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is amateur with a really bad camera phone and 10 is photos people pay money for, I'd like to reach about a 7) and the budget I have to work with depends largely on how long I can go without food, I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to what equipment would suit my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Hi everyone. I need some information regarding cameras. In particular I need advice on what camera and what other equipment would be most desirable for wildlife photography.

Bearing in mind that I am not looking to become a professional photographer (on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is amateur with a really bad camera phone and 10 is photos people pay money for, I'd like to reach about a 7) and the budget I have to work with depends largely on how long I can go without food, I'd really appreciate any suggestions as to what equipment would suit my needs.

At least give us rough figure regarding your budget.
    You can get second hand Canon 40d + Canon 300mm f/2.8 and you'll pay for both circa €3500. In the same time you can get Canon 1d mark IV + monopod or tripod + memory cards + fast lens *or lenses* and you'll have to pay over €5000.
    In my humble opinion all depends from your budget.

sebphoto wrote: »

At least give us rough figure regarding your budget.
    You can get second hand Canon 40d + Canon 300mm f/2.8 and you'll pay for both circa €3500. In the same time you can get Canon 1d mark IV + monopod or tripod + memory cards + fast lens *or lenses* and you'll have to pay over €5000.
    In my humble opinion all depends from your budget.

Yes I see the issue. I forgot to mention I am a student. So my budget is going to be considerably less than that as I need to eat just enough to keep me alive plus have enough strength to lift the camera. (Naturally I can therefore afford a slightly more expensive camera if it is also lighter.). €600 to €1000, including the possibility of getting some stuff second (or third or fourth - I'm not picky) hand is my target.

This is probably going to be quite limiting as I had a look round and got very frightened when I saw all the zeros and other numbers. But, still interested in giving it a go so -

Budget: 600 - 1000
    Aim: 6-7/10 camera
    Would like to know: what camera you recommend, what to look for in a camera for wildlife photography, what other equipment would be useful.

Apologies for the earlier ambiguity. I hope that makes my query easier to address.

Cheers,
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

with your budget, perhaps a bridge camera with a good zoom would be good if you want new.
    else it'll probably be looking at a second hand camera like a canon 40D (or nikon d90) and sigma 70-300mm lens, and a tripod (you will need one for definite if you can't afford to buy a long telephoto with large aperture ~ f/2.8)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

with your budget, perhaps a bridge camera with a good zoom would be good if you want new.
    else it'll probably be looking at a second hand camera like a canon 40D (or nikon d90) and sigma 70-300mm lens, and a tripod (you will need one for definite if you can't afford to buy a long telephoto with large aperture ~ f/2.8)

Bridge cameras don't have 'good' zooms. I persoanlly think you would be throwing money away to try this route.

You don't have enough of a budget to achieve what you want. If by 'wildlife' you were thinking of birds, your budget isn't even close, as you would really be looking at lenses of 500-600mm, ideally, unless you are shooting feeding tables.

For your budget, perhaps rent the right equipment for a couple of outings?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Bridge cameras don't have 'good' zooms. I persoanlly think you would be throwing money away to try this route.

You don't have enough of a budget to achieve what you want. If by 'wildlife' you were thinking of birds, your budget isn't even close, as you would really be looking at lenses of 500-600mm, ideally, unless you are shooting feeding tables.

For your budget, perhaps rent the right equipment for a couple of outings?

Rented gear is good option, however he'll have to pay deposit anyway.
    huitzilopochtli: I'd say wait a bit and save some money. Then get 40d or 50d + 300mm f/4 + tripod + accessories. I'd say you'll need circa €1500.
    You'll also need a lot of spare time to look for good location, wait and take photos. Photography is pretty expensive hobby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am looking for a decent camera for family shots only. We have a compact at the moment and it is awful for indoor or moving shots. Outside it is good. The only option is a DSLR but it needs autofocus and movie feature would be nice but not essential. Decent software is a must. Nothing fancy but I have a JVC camcorder and the software for basic use is brutal.

I have dismissed the Canon 600D as it has no inbuilt flash that I can see on specs. I also had a canon compact that gave up when the cold weather got to it. Light sensor failed.

I have narrowed it down to Nikon D3100. Built in flash, priced in around my budget of €400 (I think). Movie mode and most importantly autofocus.

Can anyone tell me if this is everything I need to get up and running or should I pick a different camera for my purpose.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6864196/art/nikon/d3100-af-s-dx-18-55-mm-vr.html

Thank you dirtyghettokid, cnocbui, and sebphoto for your replies. So what I gather is that those big numbers I was so frightened of are in fact very scary and I was right to be frightened. This calls for a new line of thinking.

Having looked into what a bridge camera is I realise I already have one I can borrow. In the short term, I'm going to have a go with that and see what it can do.

Regarding renting, it's not an appealing option to me. I'd rather be patient until I can afford more. (Thanks all the same for the suggestion, cnocbui.)

So, new plan. I'll have to wait MUCH longer than I'd hoped but I'll aim to increase my budget to minimum €1500. I'm thinking it might be a good idea then to have a camera in mind, get that when I can and add lenses at a later point. Is this sensible? (Or is it, say, significantly cheaper to get everything together?) And with this budget in mind (and an imaginary cap at €2500) at what cameras should I be looking and where?

@sebphoto - Expensive is an understatement... :P But I'm studying Zoology and it seems to go hand in hand with photography so I'm keen to learn.

huitzilopochtli actually what kind of wildlife you're going to shoot? There are different tools for different purposes. I'm not 'wildlife expert', but I know that except equipment you must have great location and a lot of time.. In my humble opinion it's always better to have faster lens than more expensive camera. Still I believe that Canon XXd bodies (except 60d) and 7d are fine for wildlife. Those bodies are not that expensive as there's big gap between semi-pro and pro line. Take into consideration that you're the one who is responsible for final result (images). Therefore what is important in dsrl body for wildlife (or sport) would be AF + buffer. Also it would be good to have a tripod or at least monopod.

For wildlife, I would say define your subject/s of interest, that will to some degree determine what sort of lens you would need, then lastly, find a camera to bolt on the back of the lens.

So get the lens then a camera for it. You might find it possible to get a used but excellent manual focus lens at a lower price than the latest and greatest.

So get the lens then a camera for it. You might find it possible to get a used but excellent manual focus lens at a lower price than the latest and greatest.

Manual focus for wildlife? I don't think that he's going to shoot macro wildlife.
    I wouldn't go this route... :)

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    I am looking for a decent camera for family shots only. We have a compact at the moment and it is awful for indoor or moving shots. Outside it is good. The only option is a DSLR but it needs autofocus and movie feature would be nice but not essential. Decent software is a must. Nothing fancy but I have a JVC camcorder and the software for basic use is brutal.

I have dismissed the Canon 600D as it has no inbuilt flash that I can see on specs. I also had a canon compact that gave up when the cold weather got to it. Light sensor failed.

I have narrowed it down to Nikon D3100. Built in flash, priced in around my budget of €400 (I think). Movie mode and most importantly autofocus.

Can anyone tell me if this is everything I need to get up and running or should I pick a different camera for my purpose.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6864196/art/nikon/d3100-af-s-dx-18-55-mm-vr.html

That would do it alright, but it's a brick. There are much smaller options - the class often referred to as enthusiast compacts. The Olympus XZ-1 is very capable and has a fast high quality lens :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360666796&sr=8-3
    The Panasonic GF5 might also be worth a look. It's a step up from the compact market being a Micro 4/3 interchangeable lens camera. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GF5KEB-K-Compact-System-Interchangeable/dp/B007RM0WV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360667416&sr=1-1

sebphoto wrote: »
    Manual focus for wildlife? I don't think that he's going to shoot macro wildlife.
    I wouldn't go this route... :)

You young people, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

That would do it alright, but it's a brick. There are much smaller options - the class often referred to as enthusiast compacts. The Olympus XZ-1 is very capable and has a fast high quality lens :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360666796&sr=8-3
    The Panasonic GF5 might also be worth a look. It's a step up from the compact market being a Micro 4/3 interchangeable lens camera. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GF5KEB-K-Compact-System-Interchangeable/dp/B007RM0WV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360667416&sr=1-1

Many thanks for the reply

I read the review of XZ-1 here : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1

and it questions the camera in faster shots.

Where my compact fell down was a dance in a halogen lit GAA hall during the day while a dance Feis was on. In short, moving shots in a low light environment indoors. Based on the review of ZX-1 I would question it's ability to get sports shots (as it calls them) in a low light environment. That will be a rare event but even moving shots while in my home are poor with my current camera and I would like to get this also covered. My knowledge is poor on cameras but I suspect this would be a challenge to most cameras.

I agree the D3100 is a brick but it seems that DSLR is my only option. I cannot see myself paying that much for a compact and getting so close to a DSLR entry level price if it provided the above criteria. Am I giving the D3100 too much credit on it's ability ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

@ huitzilopochtli
    my suggestion to you would be a 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8L. you can get a non IS version which would be cheaper, but those two items alone for wildlife photography should last a good while. you should be able to get those items for around 2 grand, maybe cheaper if you buy both second hand.
    €1k new for 7d body and then €1k second hand for 70-200 lens.
    definitely invest in a good tripod! it's a great idea to save and get something decent, rather than getting something crappy and then trying to offload it later.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Am I giving the D3100 too much credit on it's ability ?

It's the kit lens you might be giving too much credit to - f3.5 - 5.6 I believe. That's two stops slower than the f1.8 - 2.5 lens on the XZ-1 I think. Which means that the Nikon is going to have to have it's ISO set about 2 stops higher than the XZ-1 to get the same shutter speed to stop motion in low light, so there may not be any advantage to the D3200, but there's no way to know for sure without a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jayk69

Hi,

I am looking to get on the camera ladder but know nothing. I take a lot of photos with my phone and digital camera but want to upgrade to a DSLR. Anyone have any advice on which one to get? I am a complete beginner but plan on traveling in the summer across Asia and missed not having a good camera last time.

I have Approx €650 to spend so kinda think I'll get a decent one for that. I don't mind putting a bit more money to it if recommended.

Thanks,

Jay

Olympus XZ-2 for an all in one solution or maybe look at the Panasonic GX1 or the Olympus EPL5 for some real performance in a small package.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jayk69

Olympus XZ-2 for an all in one solution or maybe look at the Panasonic GX1 or the Olympus EPL5 for some real performance in a small package.

thanks a million for that. Would you think I should consider anything in the compact range like the new Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Jayk69 and Damien360

Hi lads, I am a canon man so will recomend canon gear.
    For all beginners I would always recommend canon 600d or 650d with "all around"18-135mm lens. Do not buy with kit lens such as 18-55 as very soon you'll realize you need more zoom and you'll spend more money for another lens. If you have any questions about canon gear you can ask me as I was born with canon :) The other thing is where to buy camera and lens. I buy all my gear from simplyelectronics.net or hdewcameras.co.uk I do know there are a lot of different speaches and feedbacks about simplyelectronics but to be honest they never let me down an I already spent couple of thousands with them (photography is like a drug - you start and you can't stop and you need more and more). Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get stuff from them but guys look at the price differences :) I can wait longer rather than waist my money. And Damian, all consumer dslr's has flash built in; Does it has auto focus depends on camera and/or lens, but most of them do have auto focus and everything else to make consumer life easier as possible ;) I am from Newbridge as well so could meet some time and give more info. I hope my advice will help. Good luck

• Advertisement

Jayk69 wrote: »
    thanks a million for that. Would you think I should consider anything in the compact range like the new Samsung?

The xz-2 is an enthusiasts compact. I really don't know much about the Samsungs except I am not aware of their lenses being exactly renowned and saw one model compared to the GX1 and it had a plastic frame versus the metal one on the Panasonic.

To give you an idea of how good the EPL5 potentially is, check out this guys travel pics taken with an Olympus OM-D E-M5
    http://www.mu-43.com/f108/featured-forum-post-7-days-myanmar-37753/

The EPL5 is more or less the same as the E-M5 except without the electronic viewfinder, 5 axis image stabilisation and weather sealing.

Of course he was using top of line glass, so you couldn't expect the kit zoom to deliver images quite as good as those.

You can get DSLRs that are cheaper, but you mentioned traveling so I I have gone for bang for size, not buck.

Do you want to have a laugh : http://camerasize.com/compare/#382,333

Make sure you use the controls on the left to get a top down view of both. :rolleyes:

Advertisement