Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2013 (Voting Thursday March 14) #VoteUL

Options
  • 08-03-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

To vote, click here. Voting will take place on Thursday 14 March.
    Extra details on how to vote are provided here.

This is a list of candidates confirmed at close of nominations at 6pm on Friday, 8 March.

Elections will take place on Thursday 14 March.

As manifestos are issued, feel free to discuss your choice of candidate and why. Some of the candidates have boards.ie accounts and may reply. As usual, If you are campaigning for a candidate or are a candidate, I expect you to declare that interest if posting. This will be done on the honour system, though in the interest of fairness I will point the finger at anyone who disregards this - for anyone who aims to deceive there's a good chance you'll be found out and I'll point the finger loudly (and probably forum ban for the duration). Any attempt to sock puppet will get a loud and public slap. Let people know your connection in your first post and there shouldn't be a problem - actually I'd like to see campaigners posting. There's no reason to shill, just declare your interest. Accusations of undeclared interest should not be made on-thread as it'll derail any discussion, use the report post button and I'll look at it.

If candidates have a webpage and they want it listed here, I'll edit in one link per candidate to an official webpage or facebook page (one per candidate) if they (or their campaign manager) let me know by PM at any point during the week. You may have both of these - one of them will be listed here. It's your choice as to which you want listed and your own responsibility to keep information up to date and accurate.

Additionally I will include details of any blogs declared as independent if I'm informed of them. Any blog with any association to a candidate is, by definition, not independent.

I'll add any other relevant/necessary details to posts that I'll insert immediately below this one. Note that if you want to get replies to this thread sent to you instantly by email, click the "Follow thread" button on the top right of the screen.

Candidates, if you want your boards account to be listed here as verified by me, send an email to sceptreboards AT gmail DOT com from your UL account only (ie your student or your staff account). You'll get a return email email from me to verify your access to that account. I can then list your username in this post as having been verified. It's entirely up to each of you individually but it negates the possibility that anyone can successfully pretend to to be you if you choose to avail of it. I'll check this address periodically (it's not my usual account) so get them in early if you're going to.

If there's a need to split the thread into a separate one for each position, I'll do that if needs be but the odds are good that it won't be.

If you didn't read the rules, you probably should have:) Broadly speaking, it's "don't be a dick".

Now the rules are out of the way (they're slightly different to last year's so please read them), here are your candidates:

President
    Tim Foran
    Adam Moursy (boards account verified as Adam_M)
    Kennedy O’Brien
    Emma Porter
    Rob Sheahan

DP/Welfare
    James McMahon
    Catriona Ní Dhonnchu
    Cathal Ronan

Academic
    Darragh McCoy
    Patrick Rockett (boards account verified as Dante on Fire)

UL Experience Chairperson, Student Council Chairperson, Recreation Chairperson, Equal Opportunities Chairperson (Part-time, non-paid positions)
    No nominees.

List via the An Focal facebook page.

Good luck to all candidates!

Expected hashtags for the twitterati are #VoteUL and #VoteUL13.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Nominations are now closed, the candidates:

President
    Adam Moursy
    Tim Foran
    Kennedy O'Brien
    Emma Porter
    Rob Sheahan

Academic
    Paddy Rockett
    Darragh McCoy

Welfare
    Cathal Ronan
    James McMahon
    Catriona NiDhonnchu

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No John Cambridge AGAIN?!

This is a farce.

When are they going to stop putting up obstacles to our great white hope getting into power?!

Anyway, I predict Paddy will walk Academic just on recognition alone. Don't know anything about the other candidate though so maybe they're in with a chance. Gonna require a really strong campaign though.

Have only heard of one of the other candidates (excluding current sabbats), so it's sure to be an interesting week.

EDIT: Forgot, have no affiliation with any candidate. Not campaigning for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

to get things off the bat not campaigning for anyone.

Paddy will probably get academic unless Darragh runs a spectacular campaign. Beyond that it depends, Cathal has name recognition but is in a private office so he wont have name recognition of the other two.

President, I know who 2/5 candidates are, other 3 Im not sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

I love when president has a bunch of candidates, it always gives the campus a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Not campaigning for anyone. Know (of) 5 of the 10 candidates (The incumbents and 2 others).

When are hustings on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm on co-op but will be supporting one of the presidential candidates strongly. Of the new names I only know Emma Porter and Kennedy O' Brien

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Not campaigning for anyone. Know (of) 5 of the 10 candidates (The incumbents and 2 others).

When are hustings on?

According to an email Adam sent out during the week (or maybe last week), Hustings are Wednesday at 6pm, Venue TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Not campaging for anyone.

President
    Adam Moursy
    Tim Foran
    Kennedy O'Brien
    Emma Porter
    Rob Sheahan

A big field but I only heard of the current president. Going to be intresting fight with the winner more or likly being the guy/gal with the biggest campaign. Will more or likely lose a few before the vote. This is has the could become one hell of a Battle Royal.

Academic
    Paddy Rockett
    Darragh McCoy

Rockett is a safe bet and if history is anything to go by he will have a massive campaign. McCoy ( never heard of him) has one hell of an uphill fight on his hand. More or likely a dark match with McCoy acting as a jobber to Rockett.

Welfare
    Cathal Ronan
    James McMahon
    Catriona NiDhonnchu

Know Catriona personally and hopes she wins. She has the support of ULKC which is a big boost. Ronan has the name but as I said this may play against him. McMahon I see as the weakest player as I haven't heard of him. This one. Nice little triple treat but not the main event.

Does anyone know of people forming stables?
    The interference from there stable parters might sway some for these matches

Loving the wrestling references:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 b1rd1stheword

Jester252 wrote: »
    Not campaging for anyone.

President
    Adam Moursy
    Tim Foran
    Kennedy O'Brien
    Emma Porter
    Rob Sheahan

A big field but I only heard of the current president. Going to be intresting fight with the winner more or likly being the guy/gal with the biggest campaign. Will more or likely lose a few before the vote. This is has the could become one hell of a Battle Royal.

Academic
    Paddy Rockett
    Darragh McCoy

Rockett is a safe bet and if history is anything to go by he will have a massive campaign. McCoy ( never heard of him) has one hell of an uphill fight on his hand. More or likely a dark match with McCoy acting as a jobber to Rockett.

Welfare
    Cathal Ronan
    James McMahon
    Catriona NiDhonnchu

Know Catriona personally and hopes she wins. She has the support of ULKC which is a big boost. Ronan has the name but as I said this may play against him. McMahon I see as the weakest player as I haven't heard of him. This one. Nice little triple treat but not the main event.

Does anyone know of people forming stables?
    The interference from there stable parters might sway some for these matches

Hi, I'm James Mc Mahon and the best way of getting to know me is to watch my campaign video's and read my manifesto which will be released into the wild tomorrow (hopefully) until then here's something I made earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccYptWD_tts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Good time of the year to be part of ULKC. It seems the two candidates in the club will have a massive boost on that merit alone. Not that I don't consider either of them incapable, I have talked to Caitriona a number of times and she seems to be a very level headed, approachable person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I wouldn't be quick to discount any of the candidates chances. Anyone who falls into the trap of thinking they have a weak opponent is in for a drubbing at the count.

I wish all of the candidates the best of luck. I've run more campaigns than most, as a candidate and campaign manager. It's exhausting, rewarding, exciting, eye opening and a fiercely emotional week.

I'll leave it up to people to make their own decisions, but many will recall I was the underdog in a campaign, running against the veracity of OPC out in force the year I was elected President. The number of candidates, in my opinion gives the incumbent the upper hand there.

To the 7 candidates who are going to be unsuccessful, I hope you take all the positives of the campaign with you as you venture into the workplace or further study, the negatives don't hold a candle to them. Losing an election isn't pleasant, but its one of the biggest educations you will get into human nature. Please support those elected where you can, as to do otherwise would prove you weren't worthy of the position in any case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

right well I think that little video there has ruled james mcmahon out of the running already.

I would vote for cliodhna but I am not a big fan of the kayak club so unfortunately I will have to vote for ronan.

easy pickings for rockett in the academic.

then I suppose it'll be the big dog mousey for the win in the main one, he has a big enough crowd behind him i believe.

I would vote for cliodhna but I am not a big fan of the kayak club so unfortunately I will have to vote for ronan.

Odd way to choose who you're voting for... solely based on whether someone kayaks or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Kennedy for Prez!

ninty9er wrote: »
    I wouldn't be quick to discount any of the candidates chances. Anyone who falls into the trap of thinking they have a weak opponent is in for a drubbing at the count.

I wish all of the candidates the best of luck. I've run more campaigns than most, as a candidate and campaign manager. It's exhausting, rewarding, exciting, eye opening and a fiercely emotional week.

I'll leave it up to people to make their own decisions, but many will recall I was the underdog in a campaign, running against the veracity of OPC out in force the year I was elected President. The number of candidates, in my opinion gives the incumbent the upper hand there.

To the 7 candidates who are going to be unsuccessful, I hope you take all the positives of the campaign with you as you venture into the workplace or further study, the negatives don't hold a candle to them. Losing an election isn't pleasant, but its one of the biggest educations you will get into human nature. Please support those elected where you can, as to do otherwise would prove you weren't worthy of the position in any case.
    Slightly O/T but TBH i didnt think you were the underdog, you were the most known to all students with the years in welfare. Keith had the OPC behind him but unless you are a C&S member he wouldn't have had the name recognition you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Have to agree RE the video James McMahon has put up. It's not going to do him any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Catríona....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brother24

Very interesting I think that three of the presidential candidates are in Joint Honours, very rare for a class that small, not unusual for arts students i suppose....anyone have info on the candidates who aren't sabbats?There seems to be a lot of focus on the candidates already in the union, like what have the others done in the university, could they win or will it just be the same union again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 underwood

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Have to agree RE the video James McMahon has put up. It's not going to do him any favours.

Looks like there's some extra campaigning for James to give him the edge. #OneOfYou

• Advertisement

whatever. don't like the kayak club. won't be voting for her. won't be voting for james because of his crap video. who is the other c&s/kc person so I can not vote for them.

whatever. don't like the kayak club. won't be voting for her. won't be voting for james because of his crap video. who is the other c&s/kc person so I can not vote for them.

You seem like a nice person.

Chavways wrote: »
    You seem like a nice person.

whose team are you on?

whose team are you on?

Well I'm in the Kayak Club so take a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

will be an interesting week i always enjoy election weeks. will be interesting to compare the UL elections to the DIT ones. Not sure who i will be voting for until
    i see what they are running on. But will not be voting for James McMahon after the video that's one thing that's for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

right well I think that little video there has ruled james mcmahon out of the running already
    The video is funny, and a bit outside of the box, certainly won't rule him out, no need to jump the gun!

Quintis wrote: »
    The video is funny, and a bit outside of the box, certainly won't rule him out, no need to jump the gun!

ah quincy come on lad, the video is appalling. would none of his mates have had a quiet word? Imagine going into him and asking for advice on sexual health? Poor lad looks like he has aspergers.

To not vote for a candidate purely based on a video, even if its god awful, is the definition of stupidity. You haven't seen what his policies are, what his manifesto contains or what the lad is like in person free sweets he is giving away yet

freyners wrote: »
    To not vote for a candidate purely based on a video, even if its god awful, is the definition of stupidity. You haven't seen what his policies are, what his manifesto contains or what the lad is like in person free sweets he is giving away yet

Jellies or Sucky Sweets? That's the hard question.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    Jellies or Sucky Sweets? That's the hard question.

unless its drumsticks they might as well be talking to a wall here:D

Advertisement