Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears of War: Judgement

Options
  • 03-03-2013 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Couldnt find another thread on this game, so thought id create it.

Its out on the 22nd March on xbox.

Is there any interest in this on this forum? Anyone going to get it or pre ordered it, or has the gears novelty worn off?

Personally im wary about this game, as its got lots of (possibly game breaking) changes to the multi player like being able to jump or roofs, and no more locust in multiplayer, but ill keep an eye on reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Ye I'm a bit skeptical myself about it and to be honest no horde = no sale. That was my favourite bit about gears. Never had much interest in the versus multiplayer side

EDIT: just checked some websites and seemingly it is returning in the form of overrun or something, there will not be any limit anymore so no wave 50 and its over. I may have missed out on some other details also, so apologies for the mis information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Ye I'm a bit skeptical myself about it and to be honest no horde = no sale. That was my favourite bit about gears. Never had much interest in the versus multiplayer side

Hahahahaha....oh wow Epic, way to destroy any interest in your game. Really liked GoW 1-3 but havent paid much attention to this, but with no Horde mode they can do without me monies....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Previews are out Monday and Overrun will be mentioned...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sonmi_451

im either gonna get this or the new tomb raider im still undecided on which to get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Pre-orders for it are really bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see it flop. Gears has reached a point of overexposure it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Zero interest in this, loved gears 3, but it just seems a bit much. One to pick up when it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yep loved the trilogy and probably will pick this up at some point once it's reduced but this is just flogging the franchise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No horde or locust in multiplayer? Well I guess now we know what will be in the season pass dlc don't we.

They took one of the best mode from muliplayer to sell to us as an extra, well kiss my money good bye MS/Epic...... I don't know for sure it will be sold as DLC but why take it out of the game otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Played a fair chunk of it to date and impressions are that it's going to please fans but so little to win new followers

Haven't played multi player yet though, the events ive been at presented me with few chances to do so that didnt involve waiting around for ages. I don't like waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

calex71 wrote: »
    No horde or locust in multiplayer? Well I guess now we know what will be in the season pass dlc don't we.

They took one of the best mode from muliplayer to sell to us as an extra, well kiss my money good bye MS/Epic...... I don't know for sure it will be sold as DLC but why take it out of the game otherwise?

Because they think they will make more money by cutting sections off to sell it to you.

Now, some users around here are perfectly okay with it and will tell you it's perfectly normal in todays development but I think most of us know the truth of the situation to be honest.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Because they think they will make more money by cutting sections off to sell it to you.

Now, some users around here are perfectly okay with it and will tell you it's perfectly normal in todays development but I think most of us know the truth of the situation to be honest.

I'd have been semi ok with it had horde been a new mode they were working on and it wasn't tested or developed enough to be offered at launch, but for it to be taken out for it to be offered later is just sucking bones now at this stage, as I said I could be entirely wrong and they will offer it for free later or even not at all but experience tell me otherwise, and it with akin to flipping fans the finger in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This needs to come out on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is horde really gonna be paid DLC? On a full price console release :confused:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Is horde really gonna be paid DLC? On a full price console release :confused:

As I said I'm just speculating but why else leave one of the more popular and long established modes out???

I would be delighted to be proven wrong in this case :(

calex71 wrote: »
    As I said I'm just speculating but why else leave one of the more popular and long established modes out???

I would be delighted to be proven wrong in this case :(

It's possible they are just rebranding it under a different name. Might end up with the same mode just called something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No, some users prefer to go on facts rather than opinions based on speculation and nonsense.

There are two new modes being added to Judgement, Overrun and Free-For-All. I imagine they're replacing Horde Mode with the former since it's already featured in two games and People Can Fly, the studio actually developing the title, want to leave their own mark on the franchise.
    It was announced at E3 2012 that Gears of War: Judgment will feature a new game mode called OverRun. As the COG, you’ll be protecting two sealed Emergence Holes and a Hammer of Dawn beacon. If you successfully defend the Hammer of Dawn, the round will end, blowing the Locust to smithereens. If the Locust reach the Emergence Holes and uncover them however, the COG are ripped to shreds by a flood of Kryll.

As for Free-For-All, I imagine that's exactly what it says on the tin.

gizmo wrote: »
    No, some users prefer to go on facts rather than opinions based on speculation

Says he doesn't like to speculate.
    I imagine they're....

Follows it by speculating.

Love this place. :p

Nothing like engaging in a bit of intellectual dishonesty in order to try and score points on the internet. I'm sure you're quite aware of the difference above so I don't really see the point in elaborating further.

As for Horde Mode, it seems like it's still there in the form of Survival Mode.

I'll probably be picking this up anyway. Although I find some of the proposed design decisions odd, I'm interested to see what PCF can bring to the table. The changes to the campaign sound pretty promising so far and Overrun looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Nothing like engaging in a bit of intellectual dishonesty in order to try and score points on the internet.

Nothing dishonest there buddy. You claimed you deal in facts and don't speculate. In your next sentence you went on to speculate. All I did was quote you. :p

I agree with you about the game. Your speculation about horde mode being rebranded was exactly what I posted above you. You probably didn't see it. No problem here.

Nothing dishonest there buddy. You claimed you deal in facts and don't speculate. In your next sentence you went on to speculate. All I did was quote you. :p

I agree with you about the game. Your speculation about horde mode being rebranded was exactly what I posted above you. You probably didn't see it. No problem here.
    The problem was with your previous post which was accompanied by the rather snarky remark about other posters. To be honest, I probably should have just ignored it for what it was but since it sparked a couple of misleading posts that subsequent posters thought to be true, I bit.

I would have thought the difference between what we posted was rather obvious. I made a reasonable and clearly labelled assumption based on the available information and didn't try and pass it off as fact. You and calex71 have said that MS/Epic have cut the mode because they want to resell it later. While calex71 at least said he didn't know for sure, you professed to know the "truth" of the situation.

The problem here of course is that you weren't basing that off of anything, in fact, you'd gotten the most basic information wrong. People Can Fly are handling development duties on Judgement, not Epic. While the possible inclusion of a retooled Horde Mode is great, there would have been nothing malicious about PCF dropping it in order to focus their resources on creating something new for their entry in the series. If they had wanted to go back and build new maps and content for Horde Mode at a later date for DLC then that would have been fine too. I find it quite bizarre that a studio or studios can be criticised for flogging a franchise one minute and then for developing new game modes rather than rehashing older ones the next. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Part from the Eurogamer preview gives hope for us Horde-junkies:
    Beyond that, there's multiplayer, enlivened, this time, by Survival, a class-based co-op offering in which you defend a control points from increasingly horrible waves of enemies. Maps are large and complex, the rhythm is suitably relentless, and each class comes with a specific load-out and a neat skill. The engineer can repair the barbed wire barricades slung around the battlefield, for example, while the scout can climb certain objects and throw down beacons that tag any enemies that pass through them. It's lovely stuff with five players - a more focused, technical kind of Horde game. In its shuddering blasts of artillery and artfully placed cover it feels just like Gears. In its tight, quietly clever tactical focus, it feels just like Bulletstorm.

So Horde mode with add class dynamics....I could dig that. And the talk of randomising where emergance holes pop up in the campaign, similar to the spawning in games such as Left4Dead, might make it a bit more fun than playing through a tough section so much you know exactly which doors enemies appear through.

Opinion of GoW:J....switched to interest piqued.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I play with people who play pro level or UK LAN such as EGL

From my understanding GOW 3 flopped as it was aimed at COD players..it was easy to pick up and noobs could kill the pros.

GOW J is meant to be somewhat of an apology for this and a move toward more competitive play... hence horde (the easy co-op mode vs bots) being replaced by overrun.

The game will still be easy enough to learn and the campaign will be aimed to better train players for multiplayer but you will have to work more for your kills... no more easy lancer/sawed off kills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »

The game will still be easy enough to learn and the campaign will be aimed to better train players for multiplayer but you will have to work more for your kills... no more easy lancer/sawed off kills.
    errr isnt it now 2 rounds per clip with the sawed off? Everyone will use that now.

Tinie wrote: »
    errr isnt it now 2 rounds per clip with the sawed off? Everyone will use that now.

the sawed off is more like a mini gnasher now opposed to a short range boomshot

also it takes 2 people lancering to down 1 person instead of 1 person downing half a team with a clip of lancer

Also due to only having 1 primary weapon {shotgun or rifle not both) the gnasher should be much more versatile than a sawed off the difference is whether you want high damage or more range.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

From my understanding GOW 3 flopped as it was aimed at COD players..it was easy to pick up and noobs could kill the pros.

I don't see that as a fault.

I don't see that as a fault.

well you most likely would be the cod noob killing a pro then

the fault with it being

1. thats just not gow...this is,nt cod its supposed to take skill

2. it ruins the competitive community

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

well you most likely would be the cod noob killing a pro then

the fault with it being

1. thats just not gow...this is,nt cod its supposed to take skill

2. it ruins the competitive community

I'm no fan of Cod by any means.

But Cod has a pretty decent competitive scene.
    and how you have managed to compare Cod and Gow I will never know.

Also all these Pro Gow players must not be that great if there getting killed by all these *Noobs* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Cod by any means.

But Cod has a pretty decent competitive scene.
    and how you have managed to compare Cod and Gow I will never know.

Also all these Pro Gow players must not be that great if there getting killed by all these *Noobs* :rolleyes:

you dont know much but I guess I didnt explain much.

In GOW 1/2 the assault rifles where support weapons
    In GOW 3 a rifle is practically as easy to get a kill with as in COD
    If you can get the target reticle on an opponent you should get a kill.

EPIC did this because they wanted money and cod was making more than any other game simply because it is easy... oh and I play with pro COD players who also play GOW and they will tell you that.The cod competitive scene is gigantic compared to GOW,s but thats because its easier and has more players.

GOW J is an apology to the GOW pros for GOW 3. It is fully designed as a competitive game.

I hope this is enough to repair the GOW community because some players Apex reaxion for example who is the best player in Europe if not the world has started focusing on competitive cod as there is more money in it. Reaxion is in a team whose leader is a guy from Dublin by the way and they Dominate the English lans for a few years now.

Comparing cod to gow is like comparing fishing or darts to bmx freestyle or messi playing soccer.

APEX Reaxion 1v1 against butcher boy (an irish guy who used to be one of the best 1v1 players)-- reaxion doesnt start showing off till about round 3.

ESS guys do some entertaining examples of skill

Advertisement