Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears of War: Judgement

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Anyone play the early access demo of overrun? also there is free skins to be got online on facebook such as paintball and web skin for those interested. If you google them, youll find em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Cod by any means.

But Cod has a pretty decent competitive scene.
    and how you have managed to compare Cod and Gow I will never know.

Also all these Pro Gow players must not be that great if there getting killed by all these *Noobs* :rolleyes:

Gears does not sell as well as COD. However COD is not a skill based shooter and is accepted as being true.

Anyone can pick up COD run around a get lot of kills. For me thats boring as hell. Least gears requires you think and you can't just go around blasting everyone.Its the only skilled based shooter on x box 360 (maybe halo is too?)

I'm pleasantly surprised how good Overrun is i honestly had believe Gears judgement would suck with all these changes.

But there is possibility this will be best gears game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    you dont know much but I guess I didnt explain much.

In GOW 1/2 the assault rifles where support weapons
    In GOW 3 a rifle is practically as easy to get a kill with as in COD
    If you can get the target reticle on an opponent you should get a kill.

EPIC did this because they wanted money and cod was making more than any other game simply because it is easy... oh and I play with pro COD players who also play GOW and they will tell you that.The cod competitive scene is gigantic compared to GOW,s but thats because its easier and has more players.

GOW J is an apology to the GOW pros for GOW 3. It is fully designed as a competitive game.

I hope this is enough to repair the GOW community because some players Apex reaxion for example who is the best player in Europe if not the world has started focusing on competitive cod as there is more money in it.

Hopefully it doesn't the less elitest or "pro's" the better for a gaming series, what you find is these people are part of the problem with the direction games go.

They become so elite and hostile to anything new that they put off newer players to the game which are vital to further production of games, so the developer seeing this will try to change the direction so it appeals to a wider market.

Obviously you want to take care of your loyal fanbase but designing anything around condescending "pro's" is not the way to go.

Finally i would also urge some tolerance, if you want to get people on your side starting off by belittling them is not the way to go. Remember we all have different perspectives and ways at looking at things, i am a PC gamer and to me the aim assisted play on consoles takes some skills but not as much as someone who is aiming using a mouse and key board.

In ways i could look at everything about gaming being dumbed down and simplified for consoles as being wrong but i don't as i understand that for gaming to survive it needs a mass market as otherwise nothing gets developed.

IGN review is up...ill spoiler it incase anyone is avoiding reviews until buying the game or something.
    People Can Fly is exactly what Gears of War needed. The Bulletstorm developer brings a bold new energy to Epic Games’ excellent (but overly familiar) action series. It presents such refreshing and disruptive ideas to Gears of War: Judgment's campaign that it has an effect comparable to the original’s in 2006. During the introduction, the sights are almost impossibly beautiful. Halfway through, I realized this is the best third-person shooter around. By the end, it's clear that it’s paving a path other developers could (and hopefully will) follow.

Overall: 9.2/10

Gears of War: Judgment is a fantastic prequel with superb combat, fun multiplayer, and a meaningful story.

+ Fast, intelligent combat
    + Likable characters with volatile relationships
    + New weapons and skills improve the outstanding formula
    + Rewarding difficulty and scoring system
    – Weak villain, worse boss fight, unreliable teammate A.I.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/gears-of-war-judgment-review

Make of that what you will, I know IGN dont always give the most honest reviews, but thats a very
    high
    score none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Eurogamer review is slightly more balanced and describes pretty much what I thought/hoped the game would end up like, a Gears game made by the guys that brought us Bulletstorm.

Score:
    8/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tinie wrote: »
    IGN review is up...ill spoiler it incase anyone is avoiding reviews until buying the game or something.
    People Can Fly is exactly what Gears of War needed. The Bulletstorm developer brings a bold new energy to Epic Games’ excellent (but overly familiar) action series. It presents such refreshing and disruptive ideas to Gears of War: Judgment's campaign that it has an effect comparable to the original’s in 2006. During the introduction, the sights are almost impossibly beautiful. Halfway through, I realized this is the best third-person shooter around. By the end, it's clear that it’s paving a path other developers could (and hopefully will) follow.

Overall: 9.2/10

Gears of War: Judgment is a fantastic prequel with superb combat, fun multiplayer, and a meaningful story.

+ Fast, intelligent combat
    + Likable characters with volatile relationships
    + New weapons and skills improve the outstanding formula
    + Rewarding difficulty and scoring system
    – Weak villain, worse boss fight, unreliable teammate A.I.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/gears-of-war-judgment-review

Make of that what you will, I know IGN dont always give the most honest reviews, but thats a very
    high
    score none the less.

That's a shockingly questionable review...

Having played through the game a few times now, it's a glorified 7 if ever I've played one. Solid for fans, doesn't bring much new of any great value, feeling the reduced momentum of coming at the end of a generation long series and essentially existing to milk a few bob from fans, while still being a well made, decent game

COYVB wrote: »
    That's a shockingly questionable review...

Having played through the game a few times now, it's a glorified 7 if ever I've played one. Solid for fans, doesn't bring much new of any great value, feeling the reduced momentum of coming at the end of a generation long series and essentially existing to milk a few bob from fans, while still being a well made, decent game

From what i have been hearing the mutiplayer is mad fun to play. People have been comparing it to Gears 1 and 2.

If it plays like gears 1 my dreams have been answered.

Gears 1 will always be the best gears game- maybe judgement will prove me wrong on that (we'll see)

I think a rating of 92 by IGN is also too high while there is lot of changes it still is essentially gears that came before!

People have been saying it is mad good though, so maybe it is that good?

I just want to know if Gamestop is doing a midnight release (anyone know?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

anyone know what the demo consists of? i know its overrun but is it a full game on 1 map or just 1 round?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    anyone know what the demo consists of? i know its overrun but is it a full game on 1 map or just 1 round?

you play overrun online in quick match
    its 1 map but full game {up to 3 rounds attacking and defending
    you keep your lv in the real game.

you can get it free by downloading and rehashing it to your profile on a usb stick
    Thats how we all got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had a couple of games of overrun there, now maybe I'm rusty or my memory is being rotted by videogames :D but seriously I don't remember it taking this many bullets to put an enemy down :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I always thought Gears was very bullet-spongy, it's not worse is it? :eek:

It's strange how little hype there is about this game. Anything to do with Cliff Bleszinski leaving?

Wow epic are really taking this piss with the weapon skins/character DLC stuff.

For all the characters (Who i have got from successful trading on gamefaqs and not a penny spent), and all armour skins, they are charging... wait for it...

4000 MICROSOFT POINTS!

And all the content is already on the disc. I hate this side of modern day gaming.

calex71 wrote: »
    Had a couple of games of overrun there, now maybe I'm rusty or my memory is being rotted by videogames :D but seriously I don't remember it taking this many bullets to put an enemy down :confused:

settings are different from multiplayer

grenadier is stronger and you usually need them hurt to body them...unless they dive in front of you or you headshot them

calex71 wrote: »

Overun, has no servers yet they'll be up on Friday confirmed by Epic.I think the demo games were hosted by Mexicans and Americans too-I found the netcode good since we were playing the demo on their hosts!

Also some of the COG are intentionally slower to other COG characters on Overrun. It just Overrun though, the other gametypes, your character will move lot faster and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

well ive been playing this all day :)
    only downloaded yesterday
    and have to say ,i was never a gears fan, just didnt suit my taste
    but im actually enjoying this multiplayer right now, its alot of fun
    i dont like competitive gameplay on this type of game, more or less just want it for fun so i think its a buy here
    but not worth 55 quid will wait till it drops abit

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Anyone know if there's any midnight releases in Dublin? I heard GameStop aren't ??? Anyway Xtravision maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Anyone know the cheapest place to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Only 4 team deathmatch maps and no horde = no sale. Clearly holding back content for DLC, they can shove it.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Only 4 team deathmatch maps and no horde = no sale. Clearly holding back content for DLC, they can shove it.
    Did you even read the thread? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

gizmo wrote: »
    Did you even read the thread? :confused:
    Overrun is not horde.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Overrun is not horde.
    Nope, but while some of course won't agree, I think it's nice to see PCF concentrate on their two new modes, Survival and Overrun, rather than rehashing game modes which have already featured in two previous games.

Nope, but while some of course won't agree, I think it's nice to see PCF concentrate on their two new modes, Survival and Overrun, rather than rehashing game modes which have already featured in two previous games.

I've played them yesterday and today and am already bored of them, while I agree with you re putting their mark on the game, I think more work was needed in developing their new modes to be honest, both of them come up lacking imo.

Playing as locust is essentially beast mode in overrun which is fine, playing as cog though I really don't think they got the balance right with their classes system and you are pretty much handicapped from the get go imo, when I 1st played it I was actually very surprised that there were none of those
    movable wee turrets from the campaign
    available for use.

Neither of the modes have the depth horde on Gow3 did, and to only have 4 maps for each mode is a little insulting, even the vip pass only promises another 6 ??? and 2 modes ....... :rolleyes:

Aye, the ten waves in Survival does sound a little odd too, quite surprised they didn't at least have the option for increasing that. Shall be picking it up next week anyway so see how they hold up then. As for the maps, there's also the free DLC out in two weeks which adds two more maps and re-adds Execution as a game mode.

As an aside, when you say depth when describing Horde mode, do you mean lasting power or replayability? Personally I've always thought the horde type modes in games, while admittedly great fun, were incredibly shallow experiences.

Aye, the ten waves in Survival does sound a little odd too, quite surprised they didn't at least have the option for increasing that. Shall be picking it up next week anyway so see how they hold up then. As for the maps, there's also the free DLC out in two weeks which adds two more maps and re-adds Execution as a game mode.

As an aside, when you say depth when describing Horde mode, do you mean lasting power or replayability? Personally I've always thought the horde type modes in games, while admittedly great fun, were incredibly shallow experiences.

Survival is overrun where you can only play as cog and the locust are AI, the rules and game play are the same, 10 waves is plenty given the fact you can only repair the defences ..... the locust spawn most of the time before you so the 1st lines are usually ticker fodder by the time you get there. you cannot construct more.

This is where I meant depth of horde mode in gears 3 and also in a sense of replay and variety, were you could vary the point where you chose to make a stand and defend it , you can't erect new defences whatsoever now, only repair and then only if you are the right class, there are 10 waves if you fail to defend the e-hole you fall back and start at a 2nd , then to a generator.

I can see where they were going with it in the sense of playing as a team etc. but for me it just doesn't work. I mean there aren't even any bonus things for surviving a wave that I saw, that might have been something worth adding maybe.

Oh I forgot the most annoying thing about overrun, frag grenades !!!!!!!! the locust have them you don't. No thats ok in a fight but when they can be used to bypass defences and from cover to attack the e-hole directly it gets very annoying very fast playing as cog, I havent come across it much yet, but it's really only a matter of time before its totally abused, even with a cool down on the nades and the fact only one locust class has them , its a class that's available from the start and all can pick them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is the Campaign any good, how long is it as i'm not online so multiplayer isn't much use to me?

GTR63 wrote: »
    Is the Campaign any good, how long is it as i'm not online so multiplayer isn't much use to me?

The campaign is amazing...only good thing in the game

Took me 10-12 hours on hardcore and getting every star
    Insane is pretty much the same except tickers are ridiculous.

There is actually a second mini campaign that occurs near the end of gow 3
    when bard/cole go get marcus some reinforcements .. it basically links everything together and shows how GOW J characters end up in gow 3.

The gow 2/3 campaigns bored me but this one had me literally jumping out of my chair when unexpected things happen and the secret missions/star system stops it getting boring.

I got gow 3 at midnight and was,nt bothered completing the campaign for a year but I have done both gow j campaigns and am doing them again on insane.

EJ22 wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place to get this?

probably this
    Its under 40
    65 in gamestop

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    probably this
    Its under 40
    65 in gamestop

Avoid WOWHD. YOu could be waiting 3-4 weeks to get it. Theyre games are always magically on "backorder". And theres a chance you will get an australian or european copy.

GTR63 wrote: »

The campaign is decent, not as good as the other ones, but aftermath campaign is good but short, but with any gears, the multi player is where its at. Some of the most intense, fast pace team based combat around, and now free for all, which works brilliantly.

I suggest save your money if you have no online, and buy the other 3 for the campaigns if you haven't already, or buy something like sleeping dogs or kimgdoms of amalur which have great single player stories, and can be got for <€15 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was all set to pick this up today before reading that there's no Horde mode? Leaving out the best part of the series like that is just baffling.

Advertisement