Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Solo

Options
  • 27-02-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Ok so looks like im heading over solo now, as friend has pulled out unfortuantely. Just thought Id start a thread to see if there are many people doing it alone and what plans have they made, if any.

Im planing on flying out sometime in June , hitting Toronto. So really dont know what to expect but looking forward to it :), i guess going alone will make it more of an adventure. So anyone else in same situation ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Calgary april going solo all going well.. ya will be grand seems a good few in the similar position:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Calgary August solo. My emotion hops from terrified to excited about 6 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Calgary August solo. My emotion hops from terrified to excited about 6 times a day.

haha thats how im feeling at the moment, well the initial shock that im going alone seems to be waring a little now. Great to know there is other people in the same boat. The thought of staying in Ireland is more Terrifiying to me more than going to Canada alone tbh lol

JustRoss23 wrote: »

Nice one, waited too long for this opportunity to let it go :) you gotta love Rockys words of wisdom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I was gonna go solo but two friends jumped on last minute!!were leavin for Toronto in June too!!
    I had planned on staying in the Canadiana hostel when I arrived I I'd been alone cause apparently everyone stays there before they find a flat and people post jobs and all on the notice boards so I advise ya to look into there!! I wouldn't worry about being alone you'll meet people through work and that no point in missing out just cause noone else is adventurous enough to leave lol
    Best of luck though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Solo, Calgary, should be there in mid April! ;)

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I was gonna go solo but two friends jumped on last minute!!were leavin for Toronto in June too!!
    I had planned on staying in the Canadiana hostel when I arrived I I'd been alone cause apparently everyone stays there before they find a flat and people post jobs and all on the notice boards so I advise ya to look into there!! I wouldn't worry about being alone you'll meet people through work and that no point in missing out just cause noone else is adventurous enough to leave lol
    Best of luck though!!!

haha your so right, aint gonna have this chance again so no stopping me .thanks for the good wishes:) it will be june in no time, have fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yup going alone, later this year/beginning next depending on finances. Tossing between Calgary and Toronto at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DeniseDee

I'm going to Toronto on my own too :)

Hopefully!

• Advertisement

DeniseDee wrote: »
    I'm going to Toronto on my own too :)

Hopefully!

Great to see other people going to Toronto alone too :) I gather your still waiting confirmation too. Hopefully we will hear soon, although i only uploaded all my docs last weekend so im sure i have still a good wait yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

im going solo too, hitting Calgary in oct. whenever the family or friends ask if im worried about traveling alone i tell them no sure it's an adventure but on the inside I'm terrified, but nothing will hold me back from going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DeniseDee

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Great to see other people going to Toronto alone too :) I gather your still waiting confirmation too. Hopefully we will hear soon, although i only uploaded all my docs last weekend so im sure i have still a good wait yet :(

Same here, put them all up on Sunday.
    I just wish I knew, as I have so much to do before I can go, and it is freaking me out!!!

media101 wrote: »
    im going solo too, hitting Calgary in oct. whenever the family or friends ask if im worried about traveling alone i tell them no sure it's an adventure but on the inside I'm terrified, but nothing will hold me back from going!!

well said, exact same thoughts with me. :D

DeniseDee wrote: »
    Same here, put them all up on Sunday.
    I just wish I knew, as I have so much to do before I can go, and it is freaking me out!!!

youll be fine, just think of the end results all the pllanning will be worth it and youll look back in a few months and wonder why you were freaked out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Afatpigeon

Yeah, heading to Toronto too. Will be there late May/Early June hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i was up in toronto before xmas and its unreal the amount of irish around compared to when i first came over.

Come the summer its gonna be jammed with loads more.

wheres quite retalivity? did the Irish flock north yet? hay-river , Yellowknife etc? Calgary is meant to be wedged with them Edmonton not as bad:D

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    wheres quite retalivity? did the Irish flock north yet? hay-river , Yellowknife etc? Calgary is meant to be wedged with them Edmonton not as bad:D

London is quiet!
    Pretty much anywhere outside the GTA, Calgary & Vancouver. I'd guess 90% or people coming over will be in one of those 3 areas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Much going for London? And I suppose much going in London? I ain't a grafter type like Ross or them (sparkys and the like) I am more either Admin/IT or looking to become a Chef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 beercan810

I'm heading off to the Rockies for a ski season on my own. Once the snow is gone the plan is to try get an IT job wherever the IT jobs are! Currently working in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

Going to Toronto with 3 other friends at the end of May but thats all that we know for now. Even though we're going as a group we're still seeing who else will be out there with us for accommodation and stuff like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Assuming all goes well with the application Im for Vancouver solo in October.
    Cannot wait (although trying not to think about it in case my application is rejected.)
    I have never found traveling solo to be anything other exciting, fun and unpredictable.

hdowney wrote: »
    Much going for London? And I suppose much going in London? I ain't a grafter type like Ross or them (sparkys and the like) I am more either Admin/IT or looking to become a Chef

Its a mid-sized canadian city, with a decent tech/admin/business/service prospects in it afaik. From reading the local news this past few months, most of the job losses around here have been in industrial and mechanical plants as theyve downsized.

Big enough college town, with one massive university and a fairly large college. Less than 2 hours from Toronto, Nigara Falls and Detroit. Quite warm in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

retalivity wrote: »
    Its a mid-sized canadian city, with a decent tech/admin/business/service prospects in it afaik. From reading the local news this past few months, most of the job losses around here have been in industrial and mechanical plants as theyve downsized.

Big enough college town, with one massive university and a fairly large college. Less than 2 hours from Toronto, Nigara Falls and Detroit. Quite warm in the summer

My brother was there last summer on the wider horizon programme, he liked it.

gary27 wrote: »
    My brother was there last summer on the wider horizon programme, he liked it.

there was another donegal man in London and I didnt know about it???

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

retalivity wrote: »
    there was another donegal man in London and I didnt know about it???

he worked in one of the rona stores as part of the course and stayed in apartments in dundas street.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Going Toronto hopefully in April of next year via New Orleans (So i can finally go to a Wrestlemania :) ) . All on my own (bar New Orleans who ill be going with a few friends) but going to Canada on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Berzerker

Currently in Waterloo/Kitchener and come on my own. Best decision in my life! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

On the Island myself, it be really chilling here man:cool:

Advertisement