Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Solo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Phillybyrne

yeah i'm waiting till I get over there to sort out me bank account as for health insurance i'm going with go4less

Yeah im gettin me insurance through them aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 18 littlemiss maevie

Calgary22 wrote: »
    i would not be following the likes of go 4 less mate there a load of ****e:D.. yea i am going with scotiabank when i get over:D.

They're definitly the best for insurance €340 for 2years which includes wintersports and ambulance cover. havent found anyone else that cheap or anyone else to cover ambulances.
    They're about the same price as aerlingus for flights except aerlingus fly to calgary and go4less go to banff which is miles away and they say its a flight to calgary (theyre like ryanair, pretending to go to the city and actually flying you hours out of the city)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

Going on 24th of this month, all on my own. Nerves are setting in now. I'm staying in a hostel for the for the first week & will be looking for somewhere to move in on July 1st. Any recommendations where is good to live in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

Monkiki wrote: »
    Going on 24th of this month, all on my own. Nerves are setting in now. I'm staying in a hostel for the for the first week & will be looking for somewhere to move in on July 1st. Any recommendations where is good to live in the city?

Hi, if you're going to Toronto, they have university accommodation on campus programmes for the summer. Thats where myself and friends are staying in right now. Here's a link to whats available http://www.housing.utoronto.ca/summer/SummerBrochure2013.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

Thanks howlermonkey :) I'm staying at Canadiana til July 1st, hopefully in that first week I'm there ill have found a room to rent more permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

Hey Guys, Im off to Calgary on the 4th September, single female. any other Irish girls like me in september?

WE WILL BE FINE, BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE

gemie wrote: »
    Hey Guys, Im off to Calgary on the 4th September, single female. any other Irish girls like me in september?

WE WILL BE FINE, BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE

Are you on facebook? If so theres a page called irish in calgary! Theres a few females heading alone you should check it out!

Are you on facebook? If so theres a page called irish in calgary! Theres a few females heading alone you should check it out!

Yes im on it, irish in calgary. I posted a comment on it but nothing back yet

Yes im on it, irish in calgary. I posted a comment on it but nothing back yet

Sure ya will hear sumin back but even if ya dont ya will meet people im going alone aswell headin the 26th of august! What route you flying? Im going dublin chicago calgary!

Sure ya will hear sumin back but even if ya dont ya will meet people im going alone aswell headin the 26th of august! What route you flying? Im going dublin chicago calgary!

yes im going the same way, dublin chicago calgary with aerlingus! do we get on another plane at chicago after 2-3 hours? im just the week after you !!!

• Advertisement

yes im going the same way, dublin chicago calgary with aerlingus! do we get on another plane at chicago after 2-3 hours? im just the week after you !!!

Yea ya switch from aerlingus to united airlines after a few hours stop over in chicago! Did you get your esta form for the states? Are you staying in a hostel or hav ya accom sorted already?

Yea ya switch from aerlingus to united airlines after a few hours stop over in chicago! Did you get your esta form for the states? Are you staying in a hostel or hav ya accom sorted already?

whats a esta form? why do i need that when I am going to Canada not America. I have a irish and a american passport. was born in boston. no accom yet, it will be a hostel for week or (weeks!!! due to getting accom!!). see theirs only 2 hostels in calgary? that's mad! guess be in wicked because I see the other hostel 'HI' which looked waaay nicer is flooded and not opened yet

whats a esta form? why do i need that when I am going to Canada not America. I have a irish and a american passport. was born in boston. no accom yet, it will be a hostel for week or (weeks!!! due to getting accom!!). see theirs only 2 hostels in calgary? that's mad! guess be in wicked because I see the other hostel 'HI' which looked waaay nicer is flooded and not opened yet

Well if you hold an american passport you ok i had to get an esta coz im not an american citzen! They jus do a quick check up on you to make sure you have no covictions thats all the esta form is! Yea wicked hostels ment to be the best thats wer im staying for the first while on til i get a room sorted

Well if you hold an american passport you ok i had to get an esta coz im not an american citzen! They jus do a quick check up on you to make sure you have no covictions thats all the esta form is! Yea wicked hostels ment to be the best thats wer im staying for the first while on til i get a room sorted

ill prob have to stay there as well, did you do your bookings yet? I must crack on to that. might give you a shout see how the plane journey went.. seen as we are going on the same one different weeks! would be gone next month but its so feckin dear!!!! the count down begins just over 6 weeks to go!!!:D:D:D

ill prob have to stay there as well, did you do your bookings yet? I must crack on to that. might give you a shout see how the plane journey went.. seen as we are going on the same one different weeks! would be gone next month but its so feckin dear!!!! the count down begins just over 6 weeks to go!!!:D:D:D

Yea i done my bookings for the hostel in may only booked a week but will prop need more to get every thing sorted like the bank account and the sin number! You only have to leave a 20euro deposit on the hostel then pay when you arrive! Yea do pm me and ill let ya no how everyting goes :D

Yea i done my bookings for the hostel in may only booked a week but will prop need more to get every thing sorted like the bank account and the sin number! You only have to leave a 20euro deposit on the hostel then pay when you arrive! Yea do pm me and ill let ya no how everyting goes :D

how much you pay for the week? its e175 for one week stay there. checked there now, i thought they be more hostels!! lol

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

how much you pay for the week? its e175 for one week stay there. checked there now, i thought they be more hostels!! lol

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Mine only cost like 110 coz i booked ages ago! Yea so did i theres only 2 hahha

dam, why is it cheaper if you book way in advance like flights? same craic! e200 nearly but i have no choice or im on the roads, no choices of hostels in Calgary, what side you from? Im from Galway

dam, why is it cheaper if you book way in advance like flights? same craic! e200 nearly but i have no choice or im on the roads, no choices of hostels in Calgary, what side you from? Im from Galway

Yea its pretty much like the flights the earlier ya book the cheaper it is yano! Iv heard good things bout the wicked hostel also its in a good location! Im from dublin meself

2 weeks booked in wicked hostel , Its gonna cost e330 :(

pretty dear if you ask me! not even food included......

8 bed dorm too!

• Advertisement

2 weeks booked in wicked hostel , Its gonna cost e330 :(

pretty dear if you ask me! not even food included......

8 bed dorm too!

Dammm thats pricey :( but has to be done! Im in an 8 bedroom dorm aswell prop end up in the same room

has be done, least we are secured and not on the streets :) positive thinking!!!!!! :D heard it will be tough enough get accom in sep when the students head back that month and all

has be done, least we are secured and not on the streets :) positive thinking!!!!!! :D heard it will be tough enough get accom in sep when the students head back that month and all

Yea thats it positive thinking :) yea i heard that meself but should find sumin. Once ya get there we can use kijji has tones of work and loads of houses up for rent but ya cant use it till your in canada :(

yep, doesn't work over here... we be grand :D:D won't be long now... kinda exciting and sad we have to leave the same time, roll with the good times :)

yep, doesn't work over here... we be grand :D:D won't be long now... kinda exciting and sad we have to leave the same time, roll with the good times :)

Yea i go from excited to nervous about 50 times
    A day hah :) but it has to done the money over here is no good im workin 10hours a day and makin next to nothing so onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    I've had to delete a load of Off Topic posts about the ESTA in here.
    Please keep the topic of ESTA limited to ONE thread in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kildare263

Hi

How did ye guys get on going it solo?
    Ive just been approved a visa through the IEC Programme and am planning to move over to Toronto in January - single girl on my own! :eek:

How much savings do you recommend having before you go?

I'm going to try hard to get a job before i go, i dont know if many people have much success with this?

Really looking forward to going over on my own and meeting new people - on any of the sites for immigrants abroad everyone seems so helpful and friendly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Hi, just wondering why it took so long for you to get approved for IEC..... From feb when they were released till now????? Did they release more ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aliana

Kildare263 wrote: »
    Hi

How did ye guys get on going it solo?
    Ive just been approved a visa through the IEC Programme and am planning to move over to Toronto in January - single girl on my own! :eek:

How much savings do you recommend having before you go?

I'm going to try hard to get a job before i go, i dont know if many people have much success with this?

Really looking forward to going over on my own and meeting new people - on any of the sites for immigrants abroad everyone seems so helpful and friendly! :)

I'm another girl moving to Toronto on my own in January. A friend had planned on accompanying me but got a job they love recently. I think doing it alone adds to the excitment! I'm going to have about 4 grand going over and be as frugal as possible until I get a job. Meetup.com is great for finding groups with a similar interest to your own. I joined this website to help with finding a place to live (granted, a little early) http://ca.easyroommate.com/.

Does anyone have any experience with staying in a hostel for a couple of weeks on arrival? None are highly rated on either Tripadvisor or Hostelbookers, thinking maybe the Clarence Park or the Canadiana...ideally I'd like to stay in one where meeting people isn't going to be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just about to board for heathrow and then on to Calgary!

Advertisement