Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada Solo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amster

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Ok so looks like im heading over solo now, as friend has pulled out unfortuantely. Just thought Id start a thread to see if there are many people doing it alone and what plans have they made, if any.

Im planing on flying out sometime in June , hitting Toronto. So really dont know what to expect but looking forward to it :), i guess going alone will make it more of an adventure. So anyone else in same situation ?

Hey! I'm going to Toronto on my own - won't be until September though. I'm really excited but at the same time I have a lil freak out every now and again that I won't meet other people lol. You are right it will def be more of an adventure and from the looks of it there are a few of us in the same boat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnplayer20

Well! heading over on my own too, hopefully in may or June, either Calgary or Ontario, but still waiting on visa! I must admit i find some comfort in finding i not only one going solo as i dread it one minute and excited the next. hopefully it will be an adventure to look back on! great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clodgh

Heading to Toronto on my own on 30th April.. like a lot of ye I'm jumping from terrified to excited several times a day! :P Booked into the Canadiana to start with.. looks like a fun place!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

What would be the recommended hostels to stay in for the first few days that are affordable in Toronto would anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KevinFQB1

Same as everybody here, think it's looking like Toronto for me as I put down Ontario as my port of entry when I applied a few months ago. Don't really know what I'm getting myself in for and only starting to do some research now so I'm absoloutely sh***ng it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

it does not matter what you put as your port of entry you can where ever you want:D

Really?? Because on the IEC parts it says your application was sent to the port of ontario and that's where you will present your visa?

nah lad you can go anywhere sure its just printing the work permit off a computer. they only wanted that as a reference.

Wow, well this changes everything!

yea several people have stated they wanted to go somewhere and went to a different city and it was fine if you search the mega thread you will be find it. good luck with it i will be heading solo to Calgary at some stage. probs july

• Advertisement

What do you plan on doing when you get out there then, is there certain employment you will be looking for?

i am a sparks so i will go at that:D

Fair play, hope everything works out for ya and who knows, might meet ye in Calgary yet!

Hello, first time poster here. I plan on going to Canada by myself and I am scared s**tless. I am currently going through the stages of getting the IEC working holiday visa. When filling out the visa I put down Ontario as my port of entry and presumed this is where I had to go but I was told on here recently that is not the case! I will be 25 next month, I graduated from college with a degree in IT (multimedia) and basically I need everybody's help.

I don't plan on just going over to Canada for a year or two for the experience, I plan on staying there for as long as possible. So I am looking for help/suggestions on where is the best place to go in terms of job prospects, accommodation, general living, etc, etc? There are so many possibilities I literally don't know where to start.

As I said I just graduated from college, I have been working for the last 10 years, 7 of them in the tourism trade as a tour guide and floor manager, the other 3 as a barman so I will have a bit of experience going over, just none in the industry I studied.

Toronto and Vancouver are the most popular destinations coming up here but I see a few people saying they are full of Irish and jobs are slack. All I am looking for is honest opinions from anybody who would like to give one.

Thanks for your time,

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thread Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Phillybyrne

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Calgary August solo. My emotion hops from terrified to excited about 6 times a day.

Haha im also going to calgary solo in august aswell and i also go from excited to nervous all the time ha but it will be well worth it once you start making that $$$$$ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSRJ17191438b

Haha im also going to calgary solo in august aswell and i also go from excited to nervous all the time ha but it will be well worth it once you start making that $$$$$ :D
    awhh stop i'm shíting meself going Calgary solo in August aswell, but as ya said once we start making that mulla it should be alright!

awhh stop i'm shíting meself going Calgary solo in August aswell, but as ya said once we start making that mulla it should be alright!

Yeah thats it man band new after the first week once ya get your bearings yano. So whats your plans for some where to stay??? Im gonna hit a hostel for the first week then look for a room to rent! What sort a work ya looking to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Im vancouver bound on December 1st on me lonesome. half brickin it, half excited.

Ahhh ya be grand man ya'll meet people in no time. One good thing about the irish is they really do look after there own :)

• Advertisement

Yeah thats it man band new after the first week once ya get your bearings yano. So whats your plans for some where to stay??? Im gonna hit a hostel for the first week then look for a room to rent! What sort a work ya looking to get?
    yeah thats what i'm doing aswell staying in that Wicked Hostel for the first week while I look for work and a place to stay. Well I have f**k all experience so ill take anything but I would like to get into construction.

I still have to book me flights tho. I'm raging i'm leaving it this late cause I got my POE in mid March. The prices of some of them! What route are you going the Dublin-London-Calgary route? that seems the handiest. The cheapest I can find is Dublin-Chicago-Calgary but the effort in going through US immigration! ha

yeah thats what i'm doing aswell staying in that Wicked Hostel for the first week while I look for work and a place to stay. Well I have f**k all experience so ill take anything but I would like to get into construction.

I still have to book me flights tho. I'm raging i'm leaving it this late cause I got my POE in mid March. The prices of some of them! What route are you going the Dublin-London-Calgary route? that seems the handiest. The cheapest I can find is Dublin-Chicago-Calgary but the effort in going through US immigration! ha

Yeah i was looking at that wicked hostel meself am gonna book a week in it aswell and look for a place to rent when im there :) im driving forklifts at the min so gonna try get the same over there just to get us by til i get somin better :)

I havnt book my flights yet either gonna book them at the end of this month! I was gonna take the dublin chicago calgary route might aswell its the cheapest :)

Yeah i was looking at that wicked hostel meself am gonna book a week in it aswell and look for a place to rent when im there :) im driving forklifts at the min so gonna try get the same over there just to get us by til i get somin better :)

I havnt book my flights yet either gonna book them at the end of this month! I was gonna take the dublin chicago calgary route might aswell its the cheapest :)
    yeah the Dublin-Chicago-Calgary route looks the best price wise at the moment, but there's another cheap route with Condor Dublin-Frankfurt-Calgary at least your avoiding US Immigration

yeah the Dublin-Chicago-Calgary route looks the best price wise at the moment, but there's another cheap route with Condor Dublin-Frankfurt-Calgary at least your avoiding US Immigration

I havent seen that one i must have a look at it :) need to sort me health insurence out aswell and me bank account aswell :D have you got any of that done?

Cant sort out a bank account untill your in canada. and health insurance ring go for less its 285 for the 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 littlemiss maevie

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Cant sort out a bank account untill your in canada. and health insurance ring go for less its 285 for the 2 years.

You can set up a savings account with RBC and deposit into it before going to Canada and then once you get there change it to the type of account you want. I wasn't going to bother cos they had high fees but it seems every bank does and most seem to offer a yearly backpacker account so free banking for the 1st year.
    Go4less are the only ones I've found with proper 2 year insurance. Vhi rang me earlier and said they are starting to do it this summer but 2 years is €400 and doesnt include winter sports.

Calgary22 wrote: »

Is there not a link on go for less wesite to set up the bank account?

You can set up a savings account with RBC and deposit into it before going to Canada and then once you get there change it to the type of account you want. I wasn't going to bother cos they had high fees but it seems every bank does and most seem to offer a yearly backpacker account so free banking for the 1st year.
    Go4less are the only ones I've found with proper 2 year insurance. Vhi rang me earlier and said they are starting to do it this summer but 2 years is €400 and doesnt include winter sports.
    Yeah go for less is your best bet for insurance :) i wouldn go payin vhi 400 and it doesn even cover winter sports hahha i dought they be gettin much business :D

i would not be following the likes of go 4 less mate there a load of ****e:D.. yea i am going with scotiabank when i get over:D.

• Advertisement

I havent seen that one i must have a look at it :) need to sort me health insurence out aswell and me bank account aswell :D have you got any of that done?
    yeah i'm waiting till I get over there to sort out me bank account as for health insurance i'm going with go4less

Advertisement