Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeless man doesn't want help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bigmac147

had breakfast on one or two occassions never actually spoke to anyone inside really. i'm guessing things are only getting worse for yourselves keep up the good work and thanks for the compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bigmac147 wrote: »
    had breakfast on one or two occassions never actually spoke to anyone inside really. i'm guessing things are only getting worse for yourselves keep up the good work and thanks for the compliment.

Things are difficult , but hearing your story about getting on with your life makes it worthwhile.
    Best of luck.

same to you, although i could never say i was happy certain things transpired which led be to become homeless ,in fact it was a f***ing nightmare maybe i'm appreciating the little things all the more now. everything happens for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

bigmac147 wrote: »
    same to you, although i could never say i was happy certain things transpired which led be to become homeless ,in fact it was a f***ing nightmare maybe i'm appreciating the little things all the more now. everything happens for a reason

were you homeless for long ?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Might have been an idea to ask him if you could get him something to eat instead but it was a good deed none the less fair play to you.

• Advertisement

too long matt just under a year don't want to go into to many specifics but the biggest problem at the time was in finding suitable accomodation, from what i've seen in the press over the last while it has gotten substanially worse what chance do people actually have to rebuild themselves at the present time terrible situation really

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Thanks for your input into this mattjack and bigmac147. As an outsider I know only what I've been told and it's good to hear affiration that you shouldn't be giving homeless people money as it only helps to enable them to feed their addiction and stay in the cycle of drugs, depression and depravity.

Just from a logical point of view (and having had it confirmed by a few knowledgeable proper dubliners) I deducted that homeless people must have a way out of it (albeit now I realise it's a much tougher and grimier situation than I first imagined) and that a few coins isn't going to change that situation for them. Infact over all those coins will probably be pooled together to buy a small bag of heroin for that night. Tomorrow the cycle will begin again. "Can you spare two euros for a cup of tea love?"

Addiction is a terrible thing as is homelessness. I'm just happy that you got out of it bigmac and I feel truely sorry for the people who are stuck in that situation that aren't addicts or are atleast truely trying to break free from their situation. Good on you mattjack for doing what you do.

thanks illicit just trying to dispel some 'myths' about the whole thing, in my experience i only met a couple of people like myself and even then didn't know their backgrounds etc. so couldn't say for sure unfortunately the vast vast majority have addiction issues.looking back on it i do feel for alot of them because i was always proactive trying my best with no addiction issues what chance have the poor f****s you see on the street got?? none i would say. They'll end up in and out of jail as a result of trying to feed their addiction.
    ANYONE please correct me if i'm wrong but i believe it costs the tax payer approx. 65,000e per year to house an inmate would that not be better spent on increasing services, providing more detox. beds for addicts etc.?? ireland has a pitiful amount of these at present
    my understanding of it is the current policy is to get them ''stabalised'' aka hooked on methadone long,long term the stuff is actually harder to come off than heroin as far as i am aware all go's back to social policy again really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Sadderday wrote: »

I know I only realised after that he would have to carry it but in fairness it's not heavy and it's meant to drop to -5 tomorrow night. I figured it would be better to be wrapped up in 2 sleeping bags rather than 1 plus he has one to sit on and one to throw over himself to take the edge off.

You cant approach a homeless person though to ask what they need. You don't know who they are and your telling someone you have cash... that could turn into a nasty situation which in extreme circumstances I'm sure could actually result in someone being followed, mugged or whatever.

I don't mean to assume that all homeless drink alcohol but I would have hated if I asked and he responded with something from the offo.

I know see his frustration clearer, I do.... but I was trying to help and it wasn't the dumbest idea in the world.

OP I think what you did was lovely, he's just in a world of pain and in that moment saw the value of the sleeping bag in quantity of cans or bottles etc...
    I'm sure he was glad of it later or sold it on for a few quid

I think we end up patronising homeless people accidentally while trying to be nice because we think we know what's best for them..the reality is they are adults and in charge of their own lives

Advertisement