Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

I do most of my grocery shopping in Aldi, and find it brilliant. Still have to go to Tesco maybe once a month for items they don't have or the few they do have that I don't like (esp their cereals, just awful taste). You really notice the difference in the prices with a basket in tesco's, normally I'd do the shop in Aldo and head to Tesco occasionally for whatevers left on the list. With an asian shop in the same complex, there are very little ingredients that I can't get there.
    Have a centra nearby for milk shortages etc.
    Not fussed about Lidl, I just find that Aldi stocks nearly everything that I use ( and I'd be an adventurous cook).

Another plus is that they rarely move around the stock like Tesco do (which I presume is to make you have to walk around looking for everything and hopefully buy crap you don't need, instead of going straight to where you know the items are).

Can't say I've ever noticed the staff standing about, if they aren't on the till, then they are out stacking shelves or clearing boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cienciano wrote: »
    I go to Aldi or Lidl every week, great shops. It's surprising how far €20 will go there. Stuff like their sliced ham, steaks, beer are far better than most shops. Most other stuff is similar quality as the normal shops but cheaper. The Lidl in store bakery is so cheap it's almost free! I used to read the Indo which did a taste test of random products every week, Aldi and Lidl were definitely the strongest performers.
    Some stuff just doesn't match up though, just cos I'm used to a certain product and don't like change! Like brennans bread.
    Bonus in both shops is the weekly offers they get in. You see the weirdest stuff in there. Weirdest thing I saw was one of those yolks that pull scuba divers along under water.

As I said, I shop in them regularly and can safely say that I have never seen any member of staff, never mind 6, standing around doing fúck all.

This comment about 'Brennans' made me smile.

As if it's high quality bread.

Brennan's bread is still soft after a week which is very worrying, and shows how full of preservatives it is.

The Lidl own bakery bread, that you already mention is much better.

Standard of bread in Ireland compared to what you can get in Europe is very poor.

Really should avoid all that pre-packaged stuff like Brennans, Pat the Baker etc....all poor quality and unhealthy.

• Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco.

I'm not against Aldi or Lidl and don't particularly like Tesco but neither are anywhere near as big a company as Tesco. Tesco are massive, 41st in worldwide revenue with about 114 billion in 2011. Aldi wouldn't even get inside the top 150 I'd say with only 53 billion in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

murpho999 wrote: »
    This comment about 'Brennans' made me smile.

As if it's high quality bread.

Brennan's bread is still soft after a week which is very worrying, and shows how full of preservatives it is.

The Lidl own bakery bread, that you already mention is much better.

Standard of bread in compared to what you can get in Europe is very poor.

Really should avoid all that pre-packaged stuff like Brennans, Pat the Baker etc....all poor quality and unhealthy.
    Agree with everything except brennans bread bit! It's the nicest white sliced pan imho, and it's definitely stale after a week! It's pretty much stale after 3 days, which is a day before the best before date.
    But yeah, never realised how bad out bread is till I went to france. The rolls are amazing. Cuisine de France have a lot to answer for, they're ok if freshly cooked, but I think you have a 20 minute window before the go from crusty to soft. It's all you can get in most places, soft, stale cusine de poxy france rolls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Aldi have AMAZING venison (Specially Selected brand)- I bought 2 steaks for €5.99 I think it was - the same thing in M & S is around the €14 mark.

Absolutely no difference in taste, quality, etc. Love Aldi!

Ah no, I get that same venison and it's dearer than that in Aldi. Think it's around 9 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I LOVE aldi, I Used to shop at Tesco and Lidl and I eat so well now in comparison. Went in last week and filled a small trolley for €50 that should do me a week and half to 2 weeks no bother at all. I know that I certainly wouldn't be getting that for €50 in Tesco anyway!

They have a mccambrige bread copy that is exactly the same which is great because it is the only bread that it eat! Their pasta and curry sauces are really nice. Their ham and cheese are lovely, they do a big pack of ham for €2 which lasts ages for me and is really nice quality. Their meat, especially the steak is fantastic. They have a lovely cottage pit in the fridge section, nothing like the crappy ones you get in tesco that are almost all spud and hardly any meat, veg and gravy. They have lovely cartons of smoothie for €2 that are the very same as the innocent ones. 4 cheese strings for €1, really nice own brand pear cider, its so nice! And finally they have frozen mashed potato in a bag which is so nice that I haven't cooked a spud in a really long time, so handy and convenient too.

The only thing I would miss about Lidl is their bakery, they have really fab stuff but over all I couldnt do without Aldi.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ah no, I get that same venison and it's dearer than that in Aldi. Think it's around 9 euro.
    Their Beef Fillets are amazing too. Two for €12.99 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I LOVE aldi, I Used to shop at Tesco and Lidl and I eat so well now in comparison. Went in last week and filled a small trolley for €50 that should do me a week and half to 2 weeks no bother at all. I know that I certainly wouldn't be getting that for €50 in Tesco anyway!

They have a mccambrige bread copy that is exactly the same which is great because it is the only bread that it eat! Their pasta and curry sauces are really nice. Their ham and cheese are lovely, they do a big pack of ham for €2 which lasts ages for me and is really nice quality. Their meat, especially the steak is fantastic. They have a lovely cottage pit in the fridge section, nothing like the crappy ones you get in tesco that are almost all spud and hardly any meat, veg and gravy. They have lovely cartons of smoothie for €2 that are the very same as the innocent ones. 4 cheese strings for €1, really nice own brand pear cider, its so nice! And finally they have frozen mashed potato in a bag which is so nice that I haven't cooked a spud in a really long time, so handy and convenient too.

The only thing I would miss about Lidl is their bakery, they have really fab stuff but over all I couldnt do without Aldi.

...this is just wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I find their fruit far superior to Dunnes/Tesco/Superquinn, in particular, oranges. Nice citrus burst as opposed to a dried out, capri sun style gloop offered up in those places.
    The yellow/blue facade and general outlay isn't appealing tbh - too much of a Ryanair about it.

The queues can be nightmarish too. They definitely need a 10 items or less option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Aldi ftw. Tesco is way too expensive. The Aldi spirits are good too, and better quality than the Tesco own brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Nope it definitely wasn't that when I bought it, it was either €5.99 or €6.99, no more! Maybe it was on special offer time I bought it (only bought it the once)

Must go get it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It is funny that people act like lidl and aldi are all these weird foreign brands when they probably have more local Irish stuff than either Dunnes or Tesco, a lot of the "irish" brands aren't even made here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

murpho999 wrote: »
    ...this is just wrong!

Why? can't remember the ingredients of the top of my head but it's mostly potato with some salt and milk I think. All natural and they are really nice,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Where To wrote: »
    My opinion is,worthless.

Ah now, don't be down on yourself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Jeju

I like shopping in Aldi as my local ones carpark is underground so all the trolleys are in good nick, the shop itself is never too busy or noisy, I like the weekly special offers on house stuff and everything is great value. I like having the stuff fired through the till as I don't like to waste time myself.

Lidl has a couple of things that Aldi don't that I like, mainly nut cluster cereal and nicer probiotic drinks.
    As I was entering the Aldi near me also with UG Parking the MANAGER was outside picking rubbish up around the trolly bays.
    Go up the road and outside the local Centra is a disgrace with litter. Its kinda stupid as Super Value sponser the tidy towns and Centra snd SV part of the Musgrave group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

krudler wrote: »
    It is funny that people act like lidl and aldi are all these weird foreign brands when they probably have more local Irish stuff than either Dunnes or Tesco, a lot of the "irish" brands aren't even made here
    Yes I like the locally produced stuff in Aldi. There is some continental produce I'm not mad about, especially because I'm reminded how better stuff tastes when I visit my parents. For me the local irish produce is the reason why I shop in Aldi. Also I do only big shop in supermarkets and I'm out of there in half the time it would take me in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

I love how they give you 8 seconds to pack up and pay :)

yes, they do. for slow ones. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Finding it hard to believe any of the complaints about queues in Aldi/Lidl. I find them so quick and efficient - its really not that difficult, they quickly scan the stuff, you put it back in your trolley and then you move over to the packing area and put your stuff in bags at your leisure.

Any time I go to Tesco or supervalu the cashiers move at a snails pace (not to mentions the sour pusses on them). you've also people taking an age to pack their groceries at the till or cashies wandering off to find the price of something.

I was in Supervalu the other day and I counted 4 staff members standing debating something at the tills. I waited an age to pay for 3 items (porridge oats, dentastix for the dogs and sensodyne toothpaste (hubbie wont use anything else). Thats all I buy thats branded - everything else is lidl/aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I was in Supervalu the other day and I counted 4 staff members standing debating something at the tills. I waited an age to pay for dentastix for the dogs (hubbie wont use anything else). Thats all I buy thats branded - everything else is lidl/aldi.

You should try your hubbie on a butchers bone I believe they give them away free.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

SamHall wrote: »
    Not sure about Lidl, but Aldi's 'specially selected' meats are superior to any thing the other big super markets produce, and indeed many local butchers too.

Aldi have a pack of two, in sirloin, striploin and fillet steaks for example on sale, with the steaks being almost an inch and a half thick, almost fat free and priced 7-9€ for two!

IMO, the nicest steaks on sale in any supermarket.
    Supervalu have the best steaks I've come across. They do Angus steaks, you don't get a huge steak for the money but you get a nice steak. The last day I has in there I got two steaks for €8, typically it's €5-€6 for one.

I usually do my shopping in Supervalu, the Lidl is a bitch to get out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

sOME BASKETS TO PUT THE SHOPPING IN WOULD BE NICE:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭seenitall

My local Lidl started supplying the shopping baskets recently. But I'm so used to grabbing the first empty box that's lying around for shopping in both Aldi and Lidl now, that I don't even use them!

Aldi and Lidl are like my personal altars of cheap and cheerful shopping experience. I bow before my benevolent gods of Good Value and Completely Wacky Weekly Offers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I love Aldi; I am a recent convert since a new shop opened in my town. I had always been a bit snobby before as my local Lidl is a bit grim. But the Aldi is lovely and shiny and we are saving a fortune on groceries now.

As people have previously mentioned, the veg, ketchups/sauces, bread, pizzas, biccies, meat, dairy and alcohol is top notch. Far better than any other supermarket in the country IMHO.

There is only a handful of things I don’t buy there, I am not a fan of their curry sauces, porridge and fajita kit and for some reason, they don’t do a Sheppard’s pie mix!

I never find a delay at the tills, they are always super fast at opening another till and even if the queue looks long, it tends to move very quickly.

I am embarrassed by my former snobbery now and can’t believe I used to waste so much money on groceries!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I buy as much as I can in Aldi, and one good point is the slow joes are moved along quickly in the queue unlike places such as Supervalu where some people decide to have an aul chat with the cashier or others who can't seem to pack their groceries in an organised fashion and take another 5 minutes to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I buy as much as I can in Aldi, and one good point is the slow joes are moved along quickly in the queue unlike places such as Supervalu where some people decide to have an aul chat with the cashier or others who can't seem to pack their groceries in an organised fashion and take another 5 minutes to pay for them.
    They've all started shopping in Lidl, there's feck all people in Supervalu now so you can breeze through as even if there is someone in front of you they more than likely don't have two shopping trolleys full to the brim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Lidl is for poor people....

so is Aldi..........

...so i shop there all the time.......

krudler wrote: »
    They seriously need self service checkouts, unless you're doing a pretty big shop there its a pain in the hole queuing behind people with massive trolleys of stuff when you've only got a few things

anytime I've been behind someone who has a trolley full of stuff they always let me jump ahead of them, I would have thought most people would do this.

ScumLord wrote: »
    They've all started shopping in Lidl, there's feck all people in Supervalu now so you can breeze through as even if there is someone in front of you they more than likely don't have two shopping trolleys full to the brim.

I must be just unlucky then because I ofton get stuck behind someone who starts talking to the till operator about a school play or some other shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

ScumLord wrote: »
    Supervalu have the best steaks I've come across. They do Angus steaks, you don't get a huge steak for the money but you get a nice steak. The last day I has in there I got two steaks for €8, typically it's €5-€6 for one.

I usually do my shopping in Supervalu, the Lidl is a bitch to get out of.
    You should try the medallions in Aldi, it's local beef (My husbands uncle supplies the beef near me) huge thick cuts, no bone, no fat usually selling at two for 4 or 5 euro. Beautiful meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice

you still get through the tills quicker than tesco though

Advertisement