Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi and Lidl

• 19-02-2013 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Are they really good value?

The food sold by Aldi and Lidl is safe I never known anybody to have a problem that way and the few times I have used them I never seen any out of date produce on display.

However the texture and taste of large amounts of produce on sale in these outlets is less than mouth watering.

Own brand Cereals bread and soft drinks are what I would call rubbish.

Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I would call all cereals and soft drinks rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ranicand wrote: »

The food sold by Aldi and Lidl is safe I never known anybody to have a problem that way and the few times I have used them I never seen any out of date produce on display.

However the texture and taste of large amounts of produce on sale in these outlets is less than mouth watering.

Opinions.
    My opinion is,worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I would call all cereals and soft drinks rubbish!

Yes your right but you can forgive that if it tastes nice and has a nice texture.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

"The food is safe"

You're right there friend. I once bought a mince pie from Morrisons that raped my dog.

Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Aldi & Lidl.

Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

"The food is safe"

You're right there friend. I once bought a mince pie from Morrisons that raped my dog.

Bastard.

Bloody british supermarkets, coming over her, taking our bitches :mad:

"The food is safe"

Bastard.

I had a mouthful of coffee your bloody lucky it did not go all over my screen.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Opinions.

I like the crisps from Lidl. The 48 pack for €3.49. Damn tasty. The Hunky Dory type from Aldi are shíte though. Apparently they come from the same factory, guess they didn't make it through the quality control.

Veg in Lidl is grand as well, but I've found it does tend to go off rather quickly.

Aldi had Dr Oetgher (**** knows I've spelt that wrong,) bake in the box bread a while ago, and I've been looking for it since.

The big fat Polish sausages are dead nice on a BBQ.

There's a lot in both that I don't like. But then again, there's a lot in other shops I don't like either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I had a mouthful of coffee your bloody lucky it did not go all over my screen.:D
    Was it aldi or lidl coffee and did it make you retch?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Was it aldi or lidl coffee and did it make you retch?

Not sure but it was pretty nutty.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are people still talking about ALDI and LIDL like there's something mysterious and dodgy about them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

JPA wrote: »
    Are people still talking about ALDI and LIDL like there's something mysterious and dodgy about them?!
    Nayy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

Never said anything of the kind I just said their stuff had a bad texture and taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

i wonder could i get horse burgers, (proper horse burgers, not this 29% horse **** you'd get in tesco) in there?
    or a nice horse steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Never said anything of the kind I just said their stuff had a bad texture and taste.
    Not all their stuff. Every supermarket has good and bad. It's easy to get caught up in brand snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Their cornflakes taste like salty bags of crap and once, once I bought a housekeepers cut there, looked nice but I got a migrane after the third bite. I don't even want to know. Haven't eaten beef since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Not sure about Lidl, but Aldi's 'specially selected' meats are superior to any thing the other big super markets produce, and indeed many local butchers too.

Aldi have a pack of two, in sirloin, striploin and fillet steaks for example on sale, with the steaks being almost an inch and a half thick, almost fat free and priced 7-9€ for two!

IMO, the nicest steaks on sale in any supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Agreed that it's silly to be suspicious of ALDI or LIDL.

I used to shop in LIDL a lot when we lived in Ireland, and never had any problems with them. I found that the vegetables (especially carrots) sometimes went off a bit quickly, but other than that it was fine. Some of their own brand stuff (or some other brand I've never seen outside LIDL) was excellent, some not so great, same as the other chains.

The only thing I wasn't keen to buy there was milk and butter, I was a Dairygold/Golden Vale fan, and they didn't stock those brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Opinions.

I drove down the country at the weekend and I was struck at just how many Aldi and Lidl stores there now are. I like the variation that these stores bring but there are too many imo. However, it is a free world and market forces apply. Out of town shopping and the likes of super valu and Tescos expanding their range to hardware and CDs, DVDs etc makes life very difficult for smaller in town shops.

I am not a shop owner but worked in a family business as a kid and certainly empathise with the smaller shops who have been suffocated by the big multiples. However, the shopper is entitled to expect the best price but a balance should be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Great value but i always seem to end up with a trolley full of unhealthy stuff anyone notice that? Pizzas chips sweets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Whats yellow and blue,and hangs out of a tight c*nt?

A Lidl shopping bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice

Couldn't disagree more with you on this. I think they are great at looking out for the queue building up and that the staff come quite quickly when the bell is rung for another till to be open. Give me their checkout process anyday before any other supermarkets, it's fast and efficient.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lies.

6 members of staff? In the shop at once?

Lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They seriously need self service checkouts, unless you're doing a pretty big shop there its a pain in the hole queuing behind people with massive trolleys of stuff when you've only got a few things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

krudler wrote: »
    They seriously need self service checkouts, unless you're doing a pretty big shop there its a pain in the hole queuing behind people with massive trolleys of stuff when you've only got a few things

Those self service tills are partially responsible for higher prices in the other stores IMO.

They need serviced, operated costs associated with them, tended to by staff, and I'm sure not everyone uses them honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SamHall wrote: »
    Those self service tills are partially responsible for higher prices in the other stores IMO.

They need serviced, operated costs associated with them, tended to by staff, and I'm sure not everyone uses them honestly.

small price to pay for not having my shopping launched at me through the checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

krudler wrote: »
    yup, its universal and also happens in any Lidl stores ive been to in Germany or France. They do haul staff from the floor pretty quick, and Aldi is a little better in that regard.

That said, they are not Spar (ironically the germanic word for "cheap"!)
    There you might get served quick but they charge handsomely for the priviledge.

In spar a couple of packs of crisps, bottle of lucozade and a bottle of water could cost you a tenner
    In Aldi or Lidl? 2, maybe 3 euro tops.
    Well worth the inconvienance to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Opinions.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Bayern Munich will beat Arsenal tonight, but thats only my opinion:D

Advertisement