Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"The food is safe"

You're right there friend. I once bought a mince pie from Morrisons that raped my dog.

Bastard.

Did it get him in the pie hole?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I hardly shop anywhere else, to be honest.

Their fruit and veg are great (especially Lidl's), I prefer Aldi's cheap sliced white loaf to any other I've had so far (I make brown bread and soda bread myself, so can't comment on their selections there), their dairy is very good indeed, Lidl's cheddars are better again than any I've had elsewhere, and Aldi has a great selection of other cheeses (UK and European ones) which I love.

They both stock good beers, and Aldi's cleaning products are seriously good.
    I generally buy those in Aldi as they've banned animal testing on both their products and ingredients other than where there's legal requirements in 1992. Lidl haven't yet, as far as I know, so I stay clear of their cosmetics and cleaning supplies.

The only thing we'd be buying elsewhere is cat food (spoilt moggies!) and Quorn/Linda McCartney products, as neither Lidl nor Aldi stock these.
    I have to admit I tend to be mildly shocked at the prices Tescos or Dunnes expect people to pay whenever I have a look at their veg sections or dairy...

Last but not least what makes shopping in Aldi and Lidl much, much more enjoyable to me is the fact that neither will pump sh*te music through their stores.
    That and the fact that the checkouts are really, really fast, and that they've a sensible, large, unrushed packing area.
    I can't begin to describe how much I hate and despise that about Tescos and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

People wont buy lidl and aldi cause it's not branded but half the time it's made by the brand company eg it's either lidl or aldi but they're fake weetabix is made by weetabix. The meat is aldi comes from the same factory as superquinn. The yogurts in aldi that are Irish, aldi sees the quality as so good they want them exported to their other stores.

It's kinda like coca cola and Pepsi. Put them in 2 diffentent glasses and 9/10 people wont tell the different. Same with the German supermarkets food. Majority of big companies view aldi and lidl as a way of making money from the lower income consumer

On the hand. Own branded goods in other stores can be pretty horrible for the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like shopping in Aldi as my local ones carpark is underground so all the trolleys are in good nick, the shop itself is never too busy or noisy, I like the weekly special offers on house stuff and everything is great value. I like having the stuff fired through the till as I don't like to waste time myself.

Lidl has a couple of things that Aldi don't that I like, mainly nut cluster cereal and nicer probiotic drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

one thing they're great for is shopping for parties, we had one a few months ago and got the food drink, cleaning stuff for the aftermath and everything we needed for about 70 quid, there was about 15 people in the house.

I do find a lot of the time I go in there intended to do a full shop, then find they dont have half the stuff I need and just wind up having to go to tesco instead, they're not massively cheaper either, some stuff is but between the time you spend going to different places you may as well spend the few extra quid in one shop imo, I am a lazy bollocks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What I think is funny is that Lidl are now stocking a lot of the branded goods that Dunnes/Tesco stock and the other day I was in there and went to buy the blocks of butter for baking - Lidl brand obviously but noticed that just next to it there was more Kerrygold sold than the Lidl brand :rolleyes: Do people actually think they're getting Kerrygold cheaper in Lidl than they would in Dunnes/Tesco?!

That's what I don't like about Lidl, they sell too many brands. If I want brands I go to Dunnes. I hope Aldi don't go down that route.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ranicand wrote: »
    Are they really good value?

The food sold by Aldi and Lidl is safe I never known anybody to have a problem that way and the few times I have used them I never seen any out of date produce on display.

However the texture and taste of large amounts of produce on sale in these outlets is less than mouth watering.

Own brand Cereals bread and soft drinks are what I would call rubbish.

Opinions.
    Fcuk me, you'd swear they sold rat poison in their pizza's the way you talk about them.

I shop at Aldi all of the time and I think their products are as good, if not better than the likes of Dunnes or Tesco and better value for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi and Lidl are both good and if they were not in this country,then all other supermarkets (Dunnes,Supervalue,Superquinn and Tesco) would all have their prices up through the roof......

Competition is allways good.

I shop in both of the,and have no probelm buying my food from either...especially when my shopping bill is around 35 euro less than it would be in Tesco per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I do combined weekly shop in Aldi and Tesco. Aldi is for fruit and veg, cheeses, ham, steaks, milk, jams... Specially select range in Aldi is very good quality for any super market food. In Tescos I buy branded stuff. I avoid the cheap shop brands like a plague in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Most of the own-brand products in Aldi and Lidl are no different to those in Dunnes or Tesco. If you go anywhere in Europe, especially Aldi's home country of Germany, you'll find stores inferior to Aldi like Netto or Pennymarket. Competition is a great thing and going to Aldi saves me money. The food is good quality and the German beer in stock is great.

Regarding competition...even if you look at revenue statistics, Tesco is still far superior to the discount German stores. And most of the own-brand products in Lidl and Aldi more than likely come from the same factories that produce Tesco and St. Bernard brands products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

krudler wrote: »
    one thing they're great for is shopping for parties, we had one a few months ago and got the food drink, cleaning stuff for the aftermath and everything we needed for about 70 quid, there was about 15 people in the house.

I do find a lot of the time I go in there intended to do a full shop, then find they dont have half the stuff I need and just wind up having to go to tesco instead, they're not massively cheaper either, some stuff is but between the time you spend going to different places you may as well spend the few extra quid in one shop imo, I am a lazy bollocks though

Just out of interest, what stuff can't you get for the full shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I go to Aldi or Lidl every week, great shops. It's surprising how far €20 will go there. Stuff like their sliced ham, steaks, beer are far better than most shops. Most other stuff is similar quality as the normal shops but cheaper. The Lidl in store bakery is so cheap it's almost free! I used to read the Indo which did a taste test of random products every week, Aldi and Lidl were definitely the strongest performers.
    Some stuff just doesn't match up though, just cos I'm used to a certain product and don't like change! Like brennans bread.
    Bonus in both shops is the weekly offers they get in. You see the weirdest stuff in there. Weirdest thing I saw was one of those yolks that pull scuba divers along under water.
    I stopped going because there'd be 8 people queuing up to be served and 5 tills but only one till open and girl rings the bell for assistance yet no one arrives and another 6 members of staff stand around doing sweet fcuk all and never take notice
    As I said, I shop in them regularly and can safely say that I have never seen any member of staff, never mind 6, standing around doing fúck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ush1 wrote: »

ah just random stuff, they'd probably stock it usually but some things I like the brand ones, their cheap icecream is awesome though, cant fathom paying for ben and jerrys which is stupid expensive when you can get nice stuff for 1/4 of the price.

although then on the flipside I cant walk into dunnes and come out with a bonsai tree and a snorkle set

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I love how they give you 8 seconds to pack up and pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Aldi has a new line of wheat free and gluten free bread. The brown slice is soso but the white slice is the best I've tasted since I've been buying gluten free. It's also the cheapest. In the other stores gluten free costs 2x the price and it's horrible. I can finally take a break from rice cakes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ush1 wrote: »

They're not that good on veggie stuff. (my wife doesn't eat meat)
    Tofu, cottage pies, quorn mince, etc.

If aldi stocked those items, I'd never need go near Tesco again.

That'd make Sam a happy man. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should write to Aldi and praise them for this gluten-free product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

leahyl wrote: »
    What I think is funny is that Lidl are now stocking a lot of the branded goods that Dunnes/Tesco stock and the other day I was in there and went to buy the blocks of butter for baking - Lidl brand obviously but noticed that just next to it there was more Kerrygold sold than the Lidl brand :rolleyes: Do people actually think they're getting Kerrygold cheaper in Lidl than they would in Dunnes/Tesco?!

That's what I don't like about Lidl, they sell too many brands. If I want brands I go to Dunnes. I hope Aldi don't go down that route.

So they had their own brand and also other brands and you are complaining?

Since when is offering a choice a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Made homemade burgers, bought all the ingredients from superQuinn, next week made same burgers but went to lidl and cost half the price.

also I love walking around lidl and aldi you don't know what you'll find, tomatoes beside con saws, car seats in the ice cream section total madness.

reprazant wrote: »
    So they had their own brand and also other brands and you are complaining?

Since when is offering a choice a bad thing?

I'm not complaining, I just said that the brands can be got in Dunnes/Tesco, people usually go to Lidl/Aldi to save money and because they like their own brand stuff - they're different in other words, there's already variety. I just think what's the point of going to lidl and buying all branded goods when the cheaper lidl version is there?

I like going into Aldi and finding products that you just wouldn't get in Dunnes/Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I do the majority of my shopping in Aldi and have done for years.

Aldi make a significant effort to use local suppliers which is a big thing for me . I hate going to Tesco and spending an age searching through the produce to try to find Irish products

Charleville Cheese - Made in BELGIUM!!!!! grrrrrr (not Tesco's fault admittedly)

Aldi had a brochure a while back listing out the various suppliers - Was great to see
    • Tea/Coffee - Made by Robert Roberts in Dublin
    • Crisps/Nuts etc - Largo Foods (Tayto , Hunky Dory etc)
    • Yoghurts - Irish Yoghurts in Clonakilty
    • Cheeses - various Irish local producers
    • Fresh meats - All from Irish suppliers

I buy Butter and Cat food in Tesco -Family will only use Dairygold and Cats won't eat Aldi brand food .

I buy most of my meat in my local butcher , but I do buy the Aldi Steaks (great value and really really good quality) and their sausages and mince.

I can't see who people can afford not to shop in Aldi/Lidl to be honest...

I fill my trolley and spend maybe €80-€90 in Aldi... I fill a basket in Tesco/Dunnes and spend €50..

A full trolley in Tesco/Dunnes would cost me €130/€140

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Aldi sell the best baked beans ever, they are the Corale branded ones, far nicer than Heinz or Bachelors and at approx half the price if I remember rightly.

SamHall wrote: »
    They're not that good on veggie stuff. (my wife doesn't eat meat)
    Tofu, cottage pies, quorn mince, etc.

If aldi stocked those items, I'd never need go near Tesco again.

That'd make Sam a happy man. :D

How much Quorn do you buy a week? :eek:

We're both veggie, the husband an me, and we usually make a trip to Tescos around once a month to stock up on Quorn, that'll do us easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

I have never in my life and never will set foot inside a Tesco.

Aldi/Lidl all the way and the money I save I treat myself in M&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Shenshen wrote: »
    How much Quorn do you buy a week? :eek:

We're both veggie, the husband an me, and we usually make a trip to Tescos around once a month to stock up on Quorn, that'll do us easily.

Ah, maybe once a fortnight to Tesco.

When I'm doing a dinner in the evenings, I generally do the same dish, but will separate some for my wife, so it's meat free.

I also need to go to Tesco for nappies and baby formula though too.....

Aldi sell the best baked beans ever, they are the Corale branded ones, far nicer than Heinz or Bachelors and at approx half the price if I remember rightly.

Oh, I have to agree there.
    I wasn't big on baked beans before I moved in with my now-husband (who up until then had been eating them 3 meals a day 7 days a week), but he insists in Aldi's and those beans converted me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Many of their products are actually better than Tesco/Dunnes for a fraction of the price; Used to spend 30/40 euro a week on groceries, it's not down to 20.

Moreover, they actually have more choice: maybe it's because of their German origin, but I find that both Aldi and Lidl tend to offer more continental products and not just the stuff that suits the average Irish taste like the other shops do; For example, last Saturday I found fennel in Lidl and it was the first time I saw them in Ireland, even the fruit and vegetables stall in the English Market doesn't usually have them.

Tesco, Dunnes and the likes have more brands, but it's normally more brands of the same stuff: 10 different digestive biscuits, 10 different cooked ham and so on; Even if lately they seem to be upping their game (but the prices are still bad).

Lidl lightly smoked ham - mmmm best ham ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

I think it's like 17c for a can of kidney beans in Lidl. Sure how can you complain about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Aldi have AMAZING venison (Specially Selected brand)- I bought 2 steaks for €5.99 I think it was - the same thing in M & S is around the €14 mark.

Absolutely no difference in taste, quality, etc. Love Aldi!

Advertisement