Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park II preliminary Talks started today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

We need a little shift to the right in this country.

all the noise about children's allowance. welfare rates, all this would be good if we could afford it.

How about getting primary principal teachers doing some work? the bill for substitutes runs into tens of millions every year, now surely a principal could sit in the class for the odd day.
    Cut overtime for all public sector, cut the councils, they must be the biggest drain on resources in the whole set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rightwing wrote: »
    We need a little shift to the right in this country.

all the noise about children's allowance. welfare rates, all this would be good if we could afford it.

How about getting primary principal teachers doing some work? the bill for substitutes runs into tens of millions every year, now surely a principal could sit in the class for the odd day.
    Cut overtime for all public sector, cut the councils, they must be the biggest drain on resources in the whole set up.

Yes and close Garda Stations, Hospitals and ... oops I was beaten to it it seems.

Yes and close Garda Stations, Hospitals and ... oops I was beaten to it it seems.

closing garda stations is a complete no brainer. get these guys out working. sitting down having a few coffees while the criminals are wreaking havoc around the country. the most overpaid garda force and they've nothing to show for it, apart from allowances for boots etc

closing garda stations is a complete no brainer. get these guys out working. sitting down having a few coffees while the criminals are wreaking havoc around the country. the most overpaid garda force and they've nothing to show for it, apart from allowances for boots etc

If you think that will work you need your head examined.
    Maybe you could manage to convince many of the old people who live here in North Louth and who used to be visited regularly by their garda and got great peace of mind from it.
    They are now boarding themselves in at night now.

You seem to have a very bad view of the garda and it reeks of spite. Any time I needed them they were there and very good in dealing with my problem as were the nurses in the now almost defunct Louth County Hospital.

If you think that will work you need your head examined.
    Maybe you could manage to convince many of the old people who live here in North Louth and who used to be visited regularly by their garda and got great peace of mind from it.
    They are now boarding themselves in at night now.

You seem to have a very bad view of the garda and it reeks of spite. Any time I needed them they were there and very good in dealing with my problem as were the nurses in the now almost defunct Louth County Hospital.

I have a very bad view of people trying to scare the oldies around the country. gardai in this country are very well looked after. we don't need police stations every 4 miles. that was fine in the 1920's. most people have moved on since then, including the criminals, time for the gardai to move too,

• Advertisement

I have a very bad view of people trying to scare the oldies around the country. gardai in this country are very well looked after. we don't need police stations every 4 miles. that was fine in the 1920's. most people have moved on since then, including the criminals, time for the gardai to move too,

Yes indeed. We should moved everyone into the towns and cities :D

Yes indeed. We should moved everyone into the towns and cities :D

if they felt safer they can move themselves, the state shouldnt be expected to do everything for people. thats the big problem in this country.

if they felt safer they can move themselves, the state shouldnt be expected to do everything for people. thats the big problem in this country.

Well they do enough for their crony banker and developer friends.
    The people are entitled to the services they pay for. Why pay if they don't get them?

Well they do enough for their crony banker and developer friends.
    The people are entitled to the services they pay for. Why pay if they don't get them?

you are going off on a wild tangent. the facts are , smaller government, smaller services, we should be looking for a lean government with most things privatised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

There is one thing i would like to see is a big sweep up in DCC especially in marrowbone lane another example of wasted money they do nothing in there all you have to do is look at the dirt on the streets to figure this out.

• Advertisement

you are going off on a wild tangent. the facts are , smaller government, smaller services, we should be looking for a lean government with most things privatised.

Oh is that right, a tangent ? Was it not you who mentioned coffee and garda shoes?
    When did they close the Seanad as I seem to have missed them carrying out that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Oh that will work alright.
    Remind me again how much extra people are payng for refuse charges since it was effectively privatised ?

Oh is that right, a tangent ? Was it not you who mentioned coffee and garda shoes?
    When did they close the Seanad as I seem to have missed them carrying out that ?

:confused: what are you talking about ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Remind me again how much extra people are payng for refuse charges since it was effectively privatised ?

this is an example of what i'm saying, we are paying for more and getting less. time to scrap the councils. they are wasting humdreds of millions.

:confused: what are you talking about ?

Read you're posts.

Read you're posts.

'your' posts.

i hope this current government get tough with the unions, unlike the last FF one that has bankrupted the country.

'your' posts.

i hope this current government get tough with the unions, unlike the last FF one that has bankrupted the country.

I hope the entire Public Sector go on strike and I am a Private Sector worker. Too much corruption in politics.

I hope the entire Public Sector go on strike and I am a Private Sector worker. Too much corruption in politics.

I fully agree with that. A strike would be no harm at all. As for the corruption, the worst part is the vast majority walk away scott free

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

oscar2 wrote: »
    What's your definition of low paid. I work with people who earn less than 30,000 p.a including shift allowances. Also what overtime bonanza?

Next year they'll come for your pay so a little bit of solidarity might be in your self interest.

I received 28K Gross last year as my P60 can confirm and no one hour of OT, milleage or subsistance allowances.

You dare talk about union solidarity to a member of the CPSU? Thats rich when PSEU and ACHPS members walked passed us two years when we were at the gates with plackards in hand. Then we voted against CP I but the 'collective' of ICTU ignored our mandate and forced us to accept.

We've had enough of pandering to the bearded cabal. They don't give a stuff for Clerical staff in the CS.

So we must look after our own self interests. If we get a deal wth a couple of hours extra a week with no effect on increments we'd be mad not to bite the hand off Howlin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

'your' posts.

Yeah and I hope pigs will fly....

The government know they cannot ask anymore of the average PS worker, that is why we are hearing the top earners will have to cowboy up, and maybe some allowances being trimmed.

So in closing all the nasty little people who would gladly see a worker who earns 500 a week take a pay cut will be disappointed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Vizzy wrote: »

There could be an argument to make that some people are paying 'extra' because in the past their refuse collection was subsidised via taxation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

:confused: What does corruption in politics have to do with hoping the public sector go on strike.

I hope the entire Public Sector go on strike and I am a Private Sector worker.

I certainly don't. We, low paid clerical officers who never got a taste of the high life of the OT gravy train, can't afford to go on strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Further cuts to existing PS pensions need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Good loser

They should definitely get rid of flexi-time. Staff could run up 1 1/2 days off per month; that's eighteen days off per year - in addition to holidays.

If they can work that up they should not object to extra hours per week.

Good loser wrote: »
    They should definitely get rid of flexi-time. Staff could run up 1 1/2 days off per month; that's eighteen days off per year - in addition to holidays.

Why not have both..? An extra 2 hours a week long with flexi...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I must of missed than in my contract. You can work up one day a month in my place and its in lieu of being paid OT. You get rid of that and people with be working their strict hours. Ie.its 5pm, I'm off now, bye. No room to stay an extra hour to get something finished etc

Why? It wouldn't save money. The purpose of the exercise is to save money, so the government should concentrate on trying to get the unions to do things that will save money. Why would anyone be so silly as to waste time on irrelevant trivial things that won't help the government save money?

Did I mention the need to save money? :rolleyes:

not yet wrote: »
    Yeah and I hope pigs will fly....

The government know they cannot ask anymore of the average PS worker, that is why we are hearing the top earners will have to cowboy up, and maybe some allowances being trimmed.

So in closing all the nasty little people who would gladly see a worker who earns 500 a week take a pay cut will be disappointed...

Maybe the average PS worker should give the private sector a go, see how long they'll last before reality cruelly bites.

• Advertisement

ultimatley the PS will get a sweet deal by most peoples stadards, they are too important to all political parties to ignore

i always find it amusing how much coverage anything involving the PS gets, from goverment negotiations to tales of people who claim to be struggling , apparently its worthy of 24-7 top of the hour news and endless media discussion, you dont see that across the water on bbc or sky

Exactly, we have a pathetic media here. If the garda loses the boot allowance, it would be headlines. Panic the people, the poor garda won't be able to go on the beat.

Advertisement