Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

the Pope from Bavaria has inspired people all over the world.
    Another great Bavarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

There is a great outpouring of sh**te from RTE with every programme producing people whose lives were touched by their great leader.

No sign yet of the Holy Trinity - Waters, Quinn and O'Brien. Must be saving themselves for the heavy TV stuff later on. I wonder one of them doesn't go forward for the job - apart from Breda O'Brien who is unsuitable as she hasn't got a willie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Paddy Power taking bets.

Think I'll put some money on Peter Turkson (Ghana), for no other reason than he has a smiley face.

Cardinal-Peter-Turkson-of-010.jpg

Great money to be made if you put a few quid on Father Dougal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Banbh wrote: »
    Another great Bavarian.

Oh that will really let the cat out of the bag now. Am I impressed with someone mentioning "Bavaria!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

TheChizler wrote: »
    Was I being naive when I heard this this morning, to excitedly hope that the resignation was part of taking responsibility for his role in coverups etc?

I wonder will there be some renewed effort to prosecute for his involvement now that whatever protection his position entailed is gone.

One can always dream.

Naive??? Delusional more like. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    [...] Pope is going to resign...
    Sticking to his principles like a good catholic, he pulled out before the job was done.

robindch wrote: »
    Sticking to his principles like a good catholic, he pulled out before the job was done.

Ohhhh- you are awful - but I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

robindch wrote: »

Not setting a great precedent in the whole area of "till death..." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Odds on Dawkins for new pope :p

561732_539109902778740_717843108_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So... The Pope... What about that then, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

As I said on one of the journal articles, I suspect the pope was being cyber bullied.
    People asking ridiculous questions like-

Who was the first human to get a soul?
    What has god been up to lately.
    How come gays are an abomination, but its ok to eat fish?
    Who shut the gates on purgatory? Did it have gates?
    Why does god spend so much time at the grammys and so little helping starving children in Africa?

So, you can see how these ridiculous questions could be seen as bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Now that palpetine is gone, I can't wait till we see the new star wars to see what happens next!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Come on people, the real story here is who will be the next pope as according to our very own Saint Malachy from the 12th century he will be the last. The name of the last Pope according to Malachy will be Peter ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

German Chancellor Angela Merkel

Is this an oxymoron?

Minister-President of Bavaria Horst Seehofer

If covering up for paedophiles and looking like a twisted, evil emperor, whilst spouting ignorance and bigotry constitutes charisma, then yes, he was quite 'charismatic'. Charles Manson was also a charismatic individual.

It's no worse than what Kenny had to say about him
    On behalf of the Government and people of Ireland, I would like to extend best wishes to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI following his declaration today that he intends to step down from his office.

This is clearly a decision which the Holy Father has taken following careful consideration and deep prayer and reflection.

It reflects his profound sense of duty to the Church, and also his deep appreciation of the unique pressures of spiritual leadership in the modern world.

This is a historic day in the life of the Catholic Church and for the many millions of Catholics, both here in Ireland and around the world.

Pope Benedict has given strong leadership and great service to the Church and her people for many decades.

I know that all of our thoughts and prayers will be with the Holy Father at this time, and also with those who will shortly gather in Conclave to choose his successor.

nagirrac wrote: »
    Come on people, the real story here is who will be the next pope as according to our very own Saint Malachy from the 12th century he will be the last. The name of the last Pope according to Malachy will be Peter ^^^^^

We can but hope he will be the last.

Some people seem to think this means the end of the world but really, it means the end of the RCC... which will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some people seem to think this means the end of the world but really, it means the end of the RCC... which will be nice.
    Problem is, if the prophecy comes true, it means that St Malachy really could see the future. Which means the Catholics are right :D

seamus wrote: »
    Problem is, if the prophecy comes true, it means that St Malachy really could see the future. Which means the Catholics are right :D

Well, when Malachy was busy bitching to Pope Adrian about the Gaelic Church he utterly failed to see a Papal backed invasion and replacement of all Irish senior clergy for...ohhh...800 years give or take..so as a futuresayer I reckon he is on a par with the Mayans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd love to see Turkson get it just to see the disgust on some of the racist catholics that drink in the country pub I work.

Well, when Malachy was busy bitching to Pope Adrian about the Gaelic Church he utterly failed to see a Papal backed invasion and replacement of all Irish senior clergy for...ohhh...800 years give or take..so as a futuresayer I reckon he is on a par with the Mayans.

The Mayans said nothing about the end of the world, that was people interested in selling books.
    Our man Malachy said nothing about the end of the world either, he just said "The End" after the entry for the pope called Peter, indicating that was the last Pope.

nagirrac wrote: »
    The Mayans said nothing about the end of the world, that was people interested in selling books.
    Our man Malachy said nothing about the end of the world either, he just said "The End" after the entry for the pope called Peter, indicating that was the last Pope.

I didn't say he said the end of the world :confused:. I said some people interpret the 'last pope' thing as indicating the end of the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭_GOD_

"Top catholic pulls out early"

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I think the Doctor should be the next pope. He wouldn't need to retire when he gets old, he could just regenerate.

I didn't say he said the end of the world :confused:. I said some people interpret the 'last pope' thing as indicating the end of the world...

I know what you said:)
    I think hopes for the end of the RCC anytime soon are a bit optimistic given their numbers worldwide. They could cease to exist as we know them which would be more realistic and welcome. There is no question they need to change their approach if they want to survive long term, something I think many if not most of their members would agree with.
    Allowing priests to marry and accepting women as equals would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I think the Doctor should be the next pope. He wouldn't need to retire when he gets old, he could just regenerate.

Thought you were talking about Valentino Rossi for a minute....must get my geek on and look up "properties of Dr. Who"....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭wench

My vote would be for Wil Wheaton - then there would only be one commandment - "Don't be a dick!"

wench wrote: »
    My vote would be for Wil Wheaton - then there would only be one commandment - "Don't be a dick!"
    Instead of the current "You must have one" presumably.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What about Georgeous Georg as he's been nicknamed in the media?

Popes right hand man, already on the cover of vanity fair, has his own site?

article-0-16F57385000005DC-772_306x423.jpg

This guy's running in some Italian election soon, innit?

240622.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Stheno wrote: »
    What about Georgeous Georg as he's been nicknamed in the media?

Popes right hand man, already on the cover of vanity fair, has his own site?

article-0-16F57385000005DC-772_306x423.jpg

I thought that was Gary Lineker for a sec

• Advertisement

Pah - more bloody white men. Ha!

I know who I'm backing:

561679_10151340431781630_415690440_n.jpg

Advertisement