Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

since the incoming pope traditionally eats the heart of his predecessor at his swearing-in ceremony, this could get interesting.

Popes have hearts?

Who knew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

According to Malachy's predictions the next Pope will be the last one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

since the incoming pope traditionally eats the heart of his predecessor at his swearing-in ceremony, this could get interesting.

You wouldn't have to force me to go to that mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Why are you guys interested in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

qwert2 wrote: »

Are we not allowed an opinion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because it's interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever your thoughts on the man or his position its a big news story, first time in 700 years? Course people are going to talk about it.

Are we not allowed an opinion?

Of course you are. I'm just curious why an atheist would be interested in this topic and in some cases spend a lot of energy on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course you are. I'm just curious why an atheist would be interested in this topic and in some cases spend a lot of energy on it
    Because he's the head of a oppressive, manipulative and dangerous organisation which claims to have brainwashed more than a billion people into its ranks.

Changes in that organisation affect all of us whether or not we're part of it. So of course we're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I used up 500 calories reading the last 4 pages even though I was sitting down and not moving while doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Because, the Catholic church is an organistaion that, in my opinion, holds back society to a certain, if not large, extent. It directly affects us on a daily basis.

At least now that backward thinking git is out of his position, and hopefully a more modern thinking man can take his place. Although, modern thinking and the Catholic church is a bit of an oxymoron.

Why are you interested in why we're interested in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Possibly a result of our forced catholic indoctrination but more likely to be the sign of a dark sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He get's his strength from god but has to quit due to lack of strength!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pope Bono to be unveiled on Easter Monday.

• Advertisement

Supreme Head of international organisation which instructed it's public representatives to lobby the government of our country to ignore the will of the electorate resigns...

Yeah, nothing to do with us atheists.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ironically, the Pope can leave when he wants...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its worldwide news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Ironically, the Pope can leave when he wants...

In fairness he hasn't exactly made a break for the walls of the Vatican city and declared himself the antichrist :pac: He's stuck with the rest of us for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does that mean I'm useless now? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Door.

Way out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yup.
    You will have to subscribe and request the new popes name.
    I'm sure you can come up with something equally amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

cowzerp wrote: »
    He get's his strength from god but has to quit due to lack of strength!

64872_600405436653096_1240177901_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Subscribe > name change > PopeVader

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII, who did so in order to end Western Schism.

Has anybody suggested yet that Ratzinger's resigned in order to prevent a possible schism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Supreme Head of international organisation which instructed it's public representatives to lobby the government of our country to ignore the will of the electorate resigns...

Meh, supreme heads of all international organisations do this.

If the CEO of Philip Morris resigned it wouldn't get as much press. And they lobby to be allowed poison the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Why didn't god heal Benny, make him stronger, use some magic dust on him and give him new life? With all of god's awesome powers he could even help Benny to get younger, with one wave of his holy wand.

'The Curious Case of Benedict Button. ' ;)

But alas, he just gets old like anyone else. One might be lead to believe that there was no god, and these old farts in fancy dress, are just chancers.

I'd say he was forced out, due to him having zero charisma, and a creepy smile. The pope is the head salesman of RCC corp. and he's not helping their sales.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Meh, supreme heads of all international organisations do this.

If the CEO of Philip Morris resigned it wouldn't get as much press. And they lobby to be allowed poison the electorate.

Yes, and the CEO of Phillip Morris claims to speak for God and commands his sales reps to stand in tobacconists extolling their congregation to lobby the government and uses threats of eternal damnation to get said congregation to obey....

Hmmmmm.....Your analogy doesn't really stand up does it?

Also, the head of Philip Morris is most likely lobbying for less restrictions on people's lives, whereas the RCC spends its time trying to get governments to enforce a racist, sexist and bigoted code which aims to restrict rights and freedoms on the basis of some hallucinations a desert farmer had 4000 years ago.

At least Philip Morris are upfront and just want people to smoke so they can make money. A little more honesty like that from the RCC and we'd all be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Yes, and the CEO of Phillip Morris claims to speak for God and commands his sales reps to stand in tobacconists extolling their congregation to lobby the government and uses threats of eternal damnation to get said congregation to obey....

Hmmmmm.....Your analogy doesn't really stand up does it?

You're free to ignore threats of eternal damnation. I certainly do :pac:

I don't believe in god. And I know it's been said a million times, but the rabidly anti-church people on here are madder then the rabidly pro-church people. Certainly more obessed with religion!

Sarky wrote: »
    Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.
    No doubt as we speak, Mr Waters is penning an article about how the "unchecked" pace of life in the modern world was just too much for an old man to cope with, a sure sign that we all need to stop and think about just what else we are losing by allowing ourselves to be swept up in the modern world.

I don't believe in god. And I know it's been said a million times, but the rabidly anti-church people on here are madder then the rabidly pro-church people. Certainly more obessed with religion!

What can I say - I consider being told by an organisation which is lobbying my government to try and prevent them allowing me to marry my OH with added comment that if I do get to marry my OH I am a threat to humanity as an attack on my civil liberties

Silly anti-church me. I should just ignore them and turn the other cheek eh?

What can I say - I consider being told by an organisation which is lobbying my government to try and prevent them allowing me to marry my OH with added comment that if I do get to marry my OH I am a threat to humanity as an attack on my civil liberties

Silly anti-church me. I should just ignore them and turn the other cheek eh?

What would Jesus do? ;)

One is not free to ignore laws, though. And since the church actively campaigns to have Ireland ban things like equal marriages, life-saving medical procedures and certain human rights, they're kind of a big f*cking deal.

Perhaps you don't have a problem with Ireland making laws that restrict or criminalise people based on 2000 years of religious bigotry?

eviltwin wrote: »
    What would Jesus do? ;)

Have a tantrum in a temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Not this again.

What would Jesus do? ;)

Get a whip and drive the f*cking moneylenders from the temple.

Attabear wrote: »
    Not this again.

Shuddup and help me get this sandwich board on...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Definitley more going on here than what we're being told...

Anyway, this will set a healthy precedent whereby not every pope is saying mass barely able to speak or communicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What would Jesus do? ;)

Mary Magdaline, if you believe Dan Brown.

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Definitley more going on here than what we're being told...

Anyway, this will set a healthy precedent whereby not every pope is saying mass barely able to speak or communicate

Ironically it seems the could barely speak pope wanted to resign but was advised against it by the man who became pope and is now resigning....

Once again - Don't Do As I Do - Do As I Say is the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The vicious, black-hearted, anti-catholic, liberal, atheist, gay, feminist agenda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Listening to RTE news at one is kind of like listening to a parallel universe. They had a lot of the usual suspects on discussing the pope, Vincent Twomey, Breda O´Brien, Gina Menzies, many of them extolling the virtues of this guy, and then even Gilmore comes on and says what he has to say, complimenting Benny for his work for peace. RTE devoted practically their whole programme to the story, while, sensibly, I thought, newstalk only gave it a few minutes.

I find it eerie. There is this elephant in the room that no-one seems to want to mention, and that RTE don't seem to have got, and it's that IT DOESN'T MATTER. Whoever is made the next pope is still going to be pope. The church is not going to be anything other than the hypocritical, judgmental, power crazed, morally bankrupt institution that it is now. RTE certainly don't seem to get the fact that a new pope will not make any difference to the vast majority of people in this, or any country, and this obsession with the RCC really belongs to a different decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nope, I think they'll toe the "resigned for his health" line for as long as it takes for the scandal to break. Then they'll switch to saying he'd been hounded out, and say they've been saying that all along.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    The vicious, black-hearted, anti-catholic, liberal, atheist, gay, feminist agenda!

Aw - It's so nice to have one's work recognised.

I'd like to thank me Nan for always having my back and Bankie Sullivan for the wonderfully bizarre education that insisted on critical analysis as the foundation of learning.

*bawls tears of happiness*

seamus wrote: »
    Because he's the head of a oppressive, manipulative and dangerous organisation which claims to have brainwashed more than a billion people into its ranks.

Changes in that organisation affect all of us whether or not we're part of it. So of course we're interested.

In your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any word on how this affects infallibility? This was brought in since the previous retirement, wasnt it? Are ex popes infallible? Would be handy when benny's arguing over the remote in the tv room on the retirement home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not long until we see the white smoke from the Vatican chimney.

Not for the election of the next Pope, but from Ratzinger burning all the church child abuse records before he leaves.

In your opinion

Yes, it's just his opinion that the church covered up mountains of child abuse, that the pope demonised whole sections of society in his speeches which are available online. Not fact at all. Goodness, no.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. You would do well to learn it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement